• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of the CW's Supergirl SDCC panel incident/bad taste comment

pHand

Shipping culture is horrible and drags down all of the CW shows. That said, the producers knew exactly what they were doing with Lena:

supergirl-kara-lena-supercorp-ship.jpg
spg221a_0154b.jpg

God forbid they introduce Lex to the show and cast the usual CW model type. It'd take the heat off "Supercorp" (*shudder*), but if the CW has taught me anything, shippers love nothing more than sibling love. I'm looking at you, Barry and Iris.

It's actually offensive that these fans used homophobia, which is a serious issue, to further the cause of their shipping while completely ignoring the actual LGBT character that's already on the show as well as LGBT supportive actors on the show. These fans are not interested in actual LGBT issues. They are only interested in jerking off to their fantasy pairing.

The original OP actually mentioned that fans were upset that Maggie would no longer be a series regular next season. Of course, they ignored the fact that it was the actress's decision to move on. The show will have to be careful in how they write her out, however. Hopefully they'll just split up like real couples do all of the time, but this is the CW so they'll probably go for the dramatic death. Here's hoping they learned from the whole "The 100" fiasco.

NeonBlack

As a fan of Supernatural, this is weaksauce. Get back to me when people are denying that the stars real-life partners are real.

Nesotenso

tumblr can be crazy.

Just outright denial by writers that this is not where two characters are going to end up takes care of stupid shippers

border

"many of you will never be satisfied"

Kudos to the actor for throwing that massive stealth shade into his second (!!!) apology letter.

Wazzy

Banned
As a fan of Supernatural, this is weaksauce. Get back to me when people are denying that the stars real-life partners are real.

I have to wonder if they're as nuts as the Twilight people who have conspiracy theories about Rob and Kristen being married and having a family.

I don't watch Supergirl anymore and didn't know there was a massive ship involving Supergirl with a women but honestly reading the complaints I kind of understand why they're upset. I think people are looking at it purely from an entitlement POV and not one where LGBT ships are constantly looked down on for having support meanwhile any straight ship will never get that kind of treatment.

Don't get me wrong, shippers can be extremely entitled(Olicity is the worst thing to ever exist) but I honestly think people don't understand how important representation is for LGBT fans and when they're active in support of a pairing you don't need to shoot the pairing down by mocking it.
The thing is the outrage is pointed to a show that had a very well done story arc regarding SuperGirl's sister and a female detective, that is probably the most flashed relationship on the show.
CW's superhero shows have had gay, lesbians and bissexual characters.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
The essential premise behind the complaint is that if it were a man and a woman who were very, very close and sent each other flowers, the cast wouldn't be as inclined to make a joke about the possibility they could get together because, hell, if your show runs long enough (especially on the CW) just about any guy and girl might get together if they have chemistry because you have to leave the door open to keeping it interesting. But anyone with half a brain knows that Lena and Kara are never getting together. Surely all the shippers know that too.

And we all know the reason that would never, ever happen is they are never going to make Supergirl date a woman. Ever. We know that's a big part of what makes this different.

A lot of the people who ship Lena with Kara are themselves bisexual and lesbian women and that is why something clearly intended as a light playful joke feels personal to many of them. Because it is an acknowledgement of what we all already know, that the idea of a Supergirl who would have that in common with them is so absurd and unlikely that it's really only laughable. It's impossible. It's never going to happen.

But I also think the extreme response some of these same people have directed at the entire cast for this is a pretty clear demonstration of why they might be inclined to make such a joke in the first place.

I don't watch Supergirl anymore and didn't know there was a massive ship involving Supergirl with a women but honestly reading the complaints I kind of understand why they're upset. I think people are looking at it purely from an entitlement POV and not one where LGBT ships are constantly looked down on for having support meanwhile any straight ship will never get that kind of treatment.

Don't get me wrong, shippers can be extremely entitled(Olicity is the worst thing to ever exist) but I honestly think people don't understand how important representation is for LGBT fans and when they're active in support of a pairing you don't need to shoot the pairing down by mocking it.

I'm really happy to see some people addressing the actual issue and not just dismissing it out of hand as "shippers lol".

Wazzy

Banned
The thing is the outrage is pointed to a show that had a very well done story arc regarding SuperGirl's sister and a female detective, that is probably the most flashed relationship on the show.
CW's superhero shows have had gay, lesbians and bissexual characters.

I'm not denying they haven't had LGBT characters. I'm only saying that the main LGBT ships are not respected like the straight ones are and that is why many people are upset.

Look at how Olicity took over an entire show because of how huge the fandom was. The creators warped their entire show around them and ruined Arrow. Do you really think they would have done such a thing for a gay pairing?

Of course there is people who are upset purely because their pairing won't happen but you'll get those people with any fandom.

Beth Cyra

I am a shipper, love shipping and I pay people to make fan art, fan fiction and even have shipping tattoos.

That said I do think that CW has set themselves up for backlash as at several moments they have darn near blatantly encouraged shipping and many actress and actors encourage it like the famous Faberry Photo when Faberry won the big internet poll, so blow back was bound to happen.

I wish it hadn't have been towards the actors though as in this case they where having fun, and if anything joking with us who ship and that is a great thing even if it goes against the ship.

I don't see anything wrong with what the actor did, however I do think that trying to laugh off shippers or write them off isn't fair when Networks encourage us and will actively play up to our passions for these pairings.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Korra/Asami was disregarded as being a last minute thing by someone in this thread and it's something I've seen quite a lot from Avatar fans who are unhappy it exists.
I would have loved if they actually developed that relationship, but whether it was limitations from the network or just poor writing, they Korra and Asami had much less chemistry than Lena and Supergirl. It just felt so half-baked when half the series Korra was busy being worried about a boy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why do I keep clicking on 'shipping' threads..
Because your morbidly curious not too far estranged from entertainment.

I still remember the advers for the season finale of ATLA series 2 which blandly implied some sort of development for the Zutara ship.

Ended in Zuko's fucking betraylton and my god did things go down for next days/weeks

Platy

The hate on shipping here is bordering hipocrital coming from GAF, considering how gaming side shipps hot women with revealing clothing =P

Why so much hate ? Do you guys hate fun? ;D

Also they totally set themselves in a corner with this. It is all their fault that the relationship of kara with Lena is more interesting than with Jimmy or Mr Mxyzptlk or that dude .... what is his name ?

....oh, Mon El

The hate on shipping here is bordering hipocrital coming from GAF, considering how gaming side shipps hot women with revealing clothing =P

Why so much hate ? Do you guys hate fun? ;D

Also they totally set themselves in a corner with this. It is all their fault that the relationship of kara with Lena is more interesting than with Jimmy or Mr Mxyzptlk or that dude .... what is his name ?

....oh, Mon El

Well, the "hate" here, clearly is due to the fact that these specific shippers take it way beyond "just for fun". After all the actors in question was trying to have "just some fun" in response to the shipping requests, and some of these shippers were not having any of that. Do those people hate fun?

Barrage

That people could be this overprotective of their own delusional mental relationships of fictional characters is unhealthy.

zeemumu

Didn't shippers run one of the Steven Universe artists out of Twitter for posting storyboard art that implied a Lapis Peridot ship instead of an Amethyst Peridot ship?

That people could be this overprotective of their own delusional mental relationships of fictional characters is unhealthy.

You've no idea... And its not "their problem" but "ours" because we "refuse to see it how it really is". I can't begin to go over the crap I've heard over the last two decades and I will say its worse today due to social media.

As an aside but related It's great that companies and cast like to interact with the fans. That's great but there should be a limit to how much since fans get it into their heads that they hold some kind of power now that they're "friends" or on good terms and then blow up when nothing goes how they wanted to.

Why do CW shows always attract this kind of shit lmao. I think the only other network that comes close is some of the MTV shows.

Beth Cyra

You fucking people.
lol I'll take that as a compliment thanks.

I love the fan community and the amazing things they produce.

Sadly like all communities we take things way, to far at times and let our passions negatively effect others which is not okay.

It's cool to judge others though with comments like this, it seems that your no better then our problem children.

Why do CW shows always attract this kind of shit lmao. I think the only other network that comes close is some of the MTV shows.

CW shows are really stupid. The quality is all over the place and it never splashes north of average. Think of it like Barbie or whatever favorite doll / toy you had when you were a child, you would create these stories but they were mostly shit so instead you had them hump things.

Makonero

Because (and I love them) they're soap operas. Soap operas always generate crazy people. Remember that Friends episode where Joey dates a girl who thinks he's his soap opera character? This stuff isn't new.

Top Bottom