• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3's budget was $32 million (120M Zloty) plus $35 million in marketing

Serenity

Impossible all AAA games cost 100 million and all budgets have tripled. /s

Thats not a bad budget for the game. How much of the marketing cost is paid for by MS. Do these deals require MS/Sony to be paid back from game sales to pay back the marketing?

Mockerre

The average household income in Poland is $20,000.

The average household income in the US is $50,000.

You can pay someone doing the same labor in Poland vastly less than you have to if you're making your game in the US.

This lowers development cost significantly.

As of right now, the average income per person is 12.906 $/year before tax/social security/public health care (http://wynagrodzenia.pl/dane_gus.php).

I don't know how many people worked on the Witcher 3 (heard it was about 250) and for how long (3 years?), but 120 mln Polish Zlotych actually sounds like too much. Maybe the overhead costs more? Or they include work on the engine in between games? Or all the localizations, including VO (that's probably it)?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't believe all the people in here shaming western AAA budgets while ignoring that the game was made in fucking POLAND.

Everything in Poland is 60-80% cheaper than the US.

Care to elaborate? Not sure what the significance of that is.

EDIT: Just in regards to currency differences?
Not currency, environment.

Imagine you can be hired normally for 10k dollars per month or on an international airport for 40k per month, and you have to be alert all the time so you have to buy everything on the airport where everything but alcohol and jewellery is 4 times as pricey.

This is basically USA, except most airports allow you to bring your food and USA doesn't.

Just shows how huge part of total budget marketing is nowadays. Also why I am sceptic when people say that games like Splatoon make easily money with one million sold.

KKRT00

I can't believe all the people in here shaming western AAA budgets while ignoring that the game was made in fucking POLAND.

Everything except for a lot of stuff :) Electronics and games [not PC though] are more expensive.
Food generally cost the same as in US. Same goes for many clothes.
But yeah, wages are lower due to currency difference.

Pinewood

As of right now, the average income per person is 12.906 $/year before tax/social security/public health care (http://wynagrodzenia.pl/dane_gus.php).

I don't know how many people worked on the Witcher 3 (heard it was about 250) and for how long (3 years?), but 120 mln Polish Zlotych actually sounds like too much. Maybe the overhead costs more? Or they include work on the engine in between games? Or all the localizations, including VO (that's probably it)?

You realise game devs get higher than avg salary, esp in a high profile studio that is Polands bigges national pride atm (srs the president of Poland gave Obama a copy of Witcher 2)

AHA-Lambda

And yet Destiny was $500m ;)

Seriously though a game like Witcher 3 for that much money is impressive these days, even if it is from Poland.

This. If the man hours were calculated with USA currency then that budget would likely be close to 130 million.

Vik

Banned
For comparison's sake, GTAV's budget was $265 millions. Half of which was for marketing. And since TW3 is arguably bigger than GTAV. It's pretty cheap by comparison.

Very respectable budget, in spite of being based in Poland.

I wonder how much it would cost to make a comparable game in the US, in terms of sheer content. The Witcher 3 just seems leagues ahead of other games in this regard. And, really, I would've thought such amounts of content impossible before, but now that we have CDPR's magnum opus in front of us it's impossible to deny.
32$mil and they made that unplayable glitchfest of a game haha

vpPgNq.gif

Astral Dog

I dont see how this is so low, plus considering the lower wages.

Its fine for a AAA game budget i guess, never noticed much marketing for Witcher 3.

bigjig

That's amazing how they were able to craft such a high amount of quality content on such a budget. It really begs the question, what the fuck are other developers doing?

If the game was completely developed in Poland, that translates to ~$70 million in the US. (Might not be an equivalent comparison to budgets of developers in the US because a lot of them outsource a part of the work).

That budget seems kind of low to what most people speculate on AAA gaming nowadays. Well, I guess one would consider this a AAA developed title anyway?

There is a pretty big difference in AAA Europe vs US productions, with euro developers being a bit nore frugal (plus there's cost of living, lower salaries etc etc) in my experience.

Orayn

That's amazing how they were able to craft such a high amount of quality content on such a budget. It really begs the question, what the fuck are other developers doing?

They're living and working in places other than Poland. Y'know, where it costs more to live and they also get paid more. That tends to increase the budget.

Fruitster

There's nothing 'modest' about $70,000,000, especially with Polish wages. That's full-on, big budget AAA.

Of course it's a great deal of money, but there are certainly games out there that have had budgets that are many times that, especially when it comes to marketing. Not easy to compare due to different currency values and all that though.

Mockerre

You realise game devs get higher than avg salary, esp in a high profile studio that is Polands bigges national pride atm (srs the president of Poland gave Obama a copy of Witcher 2)

I didn't say that. I said what the average income was. If devs at CDP earn on average about 14 500 zlotych / month, more power to them :)

Guille4000

Neo Member
Because Poland, all the costs of the material and the office like maintenance is pretty low, it's not like having your study in california xD

Savitar

The studio makes some amazing work. I really hope they can hold the course and continue with their success. They're one of the few I have any faith left in at all.

That's a Zloty money!!!

Why couldn't this gem of brilliance be the first reply to the thread?

I can't help but feel that there has to be a smarter way to market big games. I'd love to see someone do a honest, well sourced CBA on the various costs in the marketing side of things. That area has to be ripe for efficiency.

Servbot24

Banned
4mil sales = $240mil. Subtract 67mil. I wonder how much more you have to subtract for middle men, conversion rates and all that?

They did some smart things marketing wise, for example the youtuber event. Must have generated a lot of publicity for them at minimal costs.

I didn't notice any marketing at all for The Witcher 3.

The two great CG trailers (done apart from the intro CG) were part of the marketing, for example.

Paying the youtubers to fly to Poland to play their game wasn't free.

Just two examples of marketing budget, apart from normal ads (internet, bus stops, tv ads, etc)

KoopaTheCasual

The range of comments in this thread is pretty amusing...

For the scale/detail of the world they built, that's a tiny budget in today's AAA market. Wish their development cycle would be published so other developers who make AAA games could figure out ways to spend more efficiently and not have obscene market expectations.

Everything except for a lot of stuff :) Electronics and games [not PC though] are more expensive.
Food generally cost the same as in US. Same goes for many clothes.
But yeah, wages are lower due to currency difference.
Umm, no? Basic food is way cheaper. When I was in US I just had to ignore the comparison to not go insane. There are exceptions, but that's climate bound, I guess.

Taker34

Banned
Wow that's quite a low budget for a game of this scope. I bet the very same game would have cost up to $200 million if developed in countries like the US. While the overall quality of TW3 was pretty high, it didn't feel as polished as most big budget western RPGs, imo.

Lol and here's the only SSX game you will get this gen.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sure isn't 4A Games budget for the Metro games signficantly less than the standard budget for shooters as well due to being based in Kiev (well used to be, I believe they are based in Malta now) ? Both them and CD Projekt are very talented studios.

KKRT00

... which also happens to be the average in most cases ... from my own experience

I agree that are a lot of shitty paid jobs in Poland, but for office jobs it is minimum, not average. For IT, the average is like 3 times higher.

cerulily

I wonder how much of their budget was subsidized by the polish government, as this is probably a major cultural export for them.

Wow that's quite a low budget for a game of this scope. I bet the very same game would have cost up to $200 million if developed in countries like the US. While the overall quality of TW3 was pretty high, it didn't feel as polished as most big budget western RPGs, imo.

Polished how? This was probably one of the most content dense, well written, well acted best looking wrpg's I've ever ever seen. And this is coming from someone whose opinion of the genre is very poor

Top Bottom