• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

iceatcs

I'm kinda late to read all of this discussion, but from what I've seen, JackFrags PS4 multiplayer videos are really nice looking and sharp, I have no problem watching them at 1080p on YT. There is no this blur that I see on DF's capture or I'm wrong? No way it's looking that blurry with higher resolution, what's going on?

This reminds me of that poor nvidia qaa on early ps3 games, that AA was vaseline filter that ruined the look of many ps3 versions of games. Really disappointed if that is the case again.

It could be some videos setting AA on or off. Like PS3 have one:
Anti-Aliasing.jpg

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't get it... apparently DF has special equipment that captures lossless video. Which they then upload to I-cant-see-shit-Youtube. Isn't that weird?

Jack cw

I bet the random buyer on the street cant tell the differences between 360 and Xbone version either.

Word of mouth, Reviews, DF, etc. will mention the differences until the general opinion is forged: Multiplats will look inferior on Xbone. Nothing stops the train.

nib95

Banned
Limited RGB by phosphor plus default sharpen to get rid of AA on PS4.

Sharpness people can just add in their own TV sets. It's better for the original source to not be pre-sharpned. We should have the choice to whether we want more aliasing, edge halo'ing, shimmering etc. I actually run my set at the lowest sharpness setting, which all professional calibrators would advise. Anything else is an artificial take on the image.

I bet the random buyer on the street cant tell the differences between 360 and Xbone version either.

That is a problem of the game (BF4) itself. It looks like BF3 on steroids.

Sony, IMO, shouldn't be spending 1 dolar advertising this game. Focus on Killzone instead and reap the "Best Graphics" Awards next year.

Kuno

Eurogamer said:
"Um, you don't make a game look better by crushing subtle detail."

Oh, I love that little "Um" he felt necessary to include in the FAQ. Really makes him look like a condescending douche.

They fucked up and he will not admit it.

So after all of the insane locked threads yesterday the outcome is:

PC Fans: EL OH EL 900p! PC FTW!
PS4 Fans: ZOMG! 720p! PS4 FTW!
XO Fans: I am okay with this.

Any reaction not contained above I would classify as people on the fence, they moved into one of those categories.

Wii U fans : I don't care I have games to play now !

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This was always going to be the case. There being a celebratory mood in this thread is an interesting thing to watch, however.
Those of us happy with the results are comparing to our current consoles, not to PC. With the PS4 version I'm getting double the framerate, higher resolution, more effects, and 40 more players than I'm used to from BF3 and the Bad Company games.

beast786

Ah, then why is this thread 105 pages based on footage and images that don't look the way they actually look? And it seems kind of asinine that people are actually claiming one is more dominant over the other if that's the case. Does that mean they just prefer the way DF fucked up the PS4 capture instead of the way they fucked up the XB1 capture?

It's like I'm not part of the inside joke...this just looks like your typical 360/PS3 comparison thread where there are some visual differences and trade offs with both. The PS4 looks overall better but I'm not seeing this domination that I'm reading about in here. I know there's all kinds of crazy things going on under the hood that swing things even more in PS4's favor (if what I'm reading on here is true) but it doesn't look like it's making that big of a difference.

I actually dont blame you. Because resolution difference is really to be seen on your home big tv's for obvious differences.

Marc

Wow, trying to catch up on this thread is almost impossible. When you put it like that it is certainly a big gap, I wonder if the rumoured OS issues for Xbone is dragging its performance down as it shouldn't be that huge of a difference right? In real terms however, I would prefer better effects and such over extra FPS and pixels. Or both, yeah actually, I will have both please. :)

Anyway...

dothemarcdance93drh.gif

Haha, this is awesome. Is it new?

Fresh out of the GIF/GAF oven. :)

I may not be following this properly but as I understand it they apologised after it became obvious every other site captured footage showing the PS4 as superior (which DF's written text concludes). Now Leadbetter is on the case (would he be the one that set it up for Tom per chance?) and saying its not their fault and that everyone else used shoddy equipment. And throwing his colleague under the bus. Yet, why would the inferior equipment make the Xbox One look worse and PS4 better compared to DF? Thoroughly confusing, but reputation wise, if Richard is involved I will lean to the side of 'suspicious' as his credibility is below zero for me personally.

Lets put it this way, if the Xbox One hardware output is not the full range, why would that make for superior screenshots and the like? And why 'fix' it if its the case?

Hoje0308

Banned
Not enough to stop me from buying an Xbox One. If there was One multiplat or exclusive title for the PS4 that I had to have, I would consider getting it first. All the IQ shit goes out the window after a few minutes once you lose yourself in a game. People enjoyed the PS2 and it had horrible image quality compared to the original Xbox.

I will admit that there have been times that I have had the graphics affect me enough to switch systems. I was half way though Tomb Raider on the Saturn, when I saw the PS version of the game. I bough the system the next day. But nothing I have seen so far between the PS4 and the XBO that warrants that response. It's more like the time I updated a video card after six months of owning my existing card. On paper it should have kicked my old cards ass but when I started playing games it was underwhelming.

Hopefully this is the case, and maybe PS4 will be the resolution king but the Xbox will continue to make it a matter of nitpicking to see the differences.

1) 900p compared to 720p isn't nitpicking unless you're playing on a small television. It's noticeable even from the footage we've seen (Digital Foundry's botched captures being the exception) and that's compressed and viewed on my 15 inch laptop.

2) While X1 will undoubtedly improve, the PS4 has a distinct compute advantage it has yet to exploit. It could conceivably maintain or even widen the gap once it does.

However, none of this really means a damn thing if X1 has the games you prefer. That's why I've had my PS4 pre-ordered and paid for since June. While its launch lineup isn't the best I've ever seen, I do love Killzone and that is enough to keep me happy until ND, SSM, RaD, Sucker Punch, Polyphony and others release their PS4 efforts.

bidguy

Banned
meh both of them look fine to me
i already bought it on pc but i really cant see any difference. one is darker than the other thats it. at least for me.

Jack cw

Sharpness people can just add in their own TV sets. It's better for the original source to not be pre-sharpned. We should have the choice to whether we want more aliasing, edge halo'ing, shimmering etc. I actually run my set at the lowest sharpness setting, which all professional calibrators would advise. Anything else is an artificial take on the image.

This a hundred times. Artifically enhancing the picture will always result in worse image quality. Whats not there cant be produced with sharpening. This reminds so much of movie discussion with movies using DNR... Its pretty obvious to go for the most unaltred look.

teiresias

What a joke man. How is it they only noticed this now?

Because they're not a fit source for reading comparison faceoffs between platforms. Seriously, if no one thought something was wrong with the captured video (particularly if they were seeing non-captured real-time footage at some point in comparison), then they're not worth bothering to read anymore for such information.

We have now had informal confirmation from a very good source that current Xbox One hardware has issues with full-range RGB output that are not present on either PC or PS4.

So every comparison is going to be like this until MS fixes it?

nib95

Banned
Wow, trying to catch up on this thread is almost impossible. When you put it like that it is certainly a big gap, I wonder if the rumoured OS issues for Xbone is dragging its performance down as it shouldn't be that huge of a difference right? In real terms however, I would prefer better effects and such over extra FPS and pixels. Or both, yeah actually, I will have both please. :)

Anyway...

dothemarcdance93drh.gif

Lol, this is amazing. Always loved that scene in Tropic Thunder.

Does the leadbetter article warrant a new topic ?

I almost think it does. It's interesting to see Leadbetter take the accusations serious enough to make a new article about it

I'm following DF since before he was a part of Eurogamer, he is using custom made hardware and codec for lossless capture. He is not using any commercially available capture cards/devices.

That's interesting then. Not sure what to make of it

So every comparison is going to be like this until MS fixes it?

not really. it's just something that in the future will be adjusted for, as they do with Wii U in comparisons (which I believe only outputs in limited RGB, and which DF adjust for accordingly). presuming this IS broken, anyways.

Alucrid

Banned
I love how the DF guy said that crushing blacks isn't how you make a game look better, yet tons of people here love that look.

Begaria

This thread just sucked up two hours of my life. It was extremely enlightening and entertaining. Time to do it all again at that certain Russian's blog, which will be even more entertaining!

My two cents: BF4 is not an indicator of next gen in its entirety. We all know this. It's a game that was built to be on five different systems and it shows. When last gen dies, this upcoming gen can truly live. Ok, that sounds stupid, but it was totally awesome in my head.

Top Bottom