• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I also have not ridden one, just sat on one. It's a drag bike primarily but I know some guys like touring on them. They're pretty comfortable and smooth. At the same time I've been told they can become somewhat "boring". I used to think it was a bike I'd have to have some day but now I'm fairly certain I'll never own one. They cannot turn as well as a normal sportbike but still can out-turn a cruiser with ease. If it's a goal of yours to own one and you just have to fulfill it, I'd say go for it. I'd try to get a lower price, though.

Just got back from a week long vacation in Luxemburg (I live in the Netherlands). So much fun with all the twisty roads over there. Couldn't wish for a better bike than the 1100.

Is this a good deal to you guys?

Not really.

Used bike values have plummeted since the economy tanked. I don't follow the market on hayabusas, but 6 grand sounds awfully high for a 2005 sportbike that probably only cost around 12-13k when new. It's depreciated more than that. I'd definitely make a lower offer - $4500, if you really want it, maybe come up to $5000 take it or leave it.

What bikes have you owned in the past ? An R1 and a hayabusa are very different motorcycles. Unless you're jaded, any 4 cylinder 1000cc sportbike will seem incredibly fast. So don't get a hyabusa, unless you are specifically looking for a hypersport style bike for interstate touring or something.

iamblades

Not really.

Used bike values have plummeted since the economy tanked. I don't follow the market on hayabusas, but 6 grand sounds awfully high for a 2005 sportbike that probably only cost around 12-13k when new. It's depreciated more than that. I'd definitely make a lower offer - $4500, if you really want it, maybe come up to $5000 take it or leave it.

What bikes have you owned in the past ? An R1 and a hayabusa are very different motorcycles. Unless you're jaded, any 4 cylinder 1000cc sportbike will seem incredibly fast. So don't get a hyabusa, unless you are specifically looking for a hypersport style bike for interstate touring or something.

I don't really get the Hayabusa as a touring bike either really. I'd take anything BMW makes over a Hayabusa for highway touring(even their pure sport bikes). IMO Hayabusas are strictly drag/top speed bikes. The torque curve, while flatter than most sport bikes, isn't really smooth enough for a touring bike. There aren't any real luggage mounting points, and the Hayabusa doesn't have the electronics that the BMWs have that make it really easy to go long distances.

MultiCore

I appreciate all the input gentlemen.

I'll try to haggle with him a bit more on it. As a frame of reference, this is california, if that has any effects on your market estimations.

I can't find an r6 or r1 in nearly as good of shape used for this price. They're all high miles, and likely run hard.

I have considered Ducatti, Aprilla and Bmw as well, but they're so much more money....

I've owned an R6, and quads and dirtbikes. Despite this being a hayabusa, I'm not a speed junkie, so I don't plan to find 186 unless I take it to a track day.

Have you thought about the Ninja 650R, Suzuki SV650, Yamaha FZ6?
Those are usually cheaper bikes and quite comfortable for touring.

Also, it's been more than a year since I've had a bike and riding my friend's is just a tease. :(

iamblades

I appreciate all the input gentlemen.

I'll try to haggle with him a bit more on it. As a frame of reference, this is california, if that has any effects on your market estimations.

I can't find an r6 or r1 in nearly as good of shape used for this price. They're all high miles, and likely run hard.

I have considered Ducatti, Aprilla and Bmw as well, but they're so much more money....

I've owned an R6, and quads and dirtbikes. Despite this being a hayabusa, I'm not a speed junkie, so I don't plan to find 186 unless I take it to a track day.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a hayabusa, as they are great bikes for their purpose, but consider total cost of ownership, not sticker price.

Hayabusas are probably the most expensive bike on the planet to get full coverage insurance for, so that has to be considered.

I don't really get the Hayabusa as a touring bike either really. I'd take anything BMW makes over a Hayabusa for highway touring(even their pure sport bikes).

I agree. I was thinking BMW when I typed interstate touring, but I don't know what you can get used for that price range. Brand new, those K series BMW hyper touring bikes are big $$$. An S1000RR is likely as fast a busa, but they haven't been around long, I think even a high mileage one will cost more than 6,000.

Yeah I don't really see the appeal to a hayabusa. Their speed was impressive when they first came out but they've got a lot of competition now. And it seems a lot of them have stretched swings arms and custom paint etc.. Not my scene. If he just wants a fast sportbike, I think he'd be better off with an R1. Preferably a pre-2009 model. Not a fan of the newer ones.

I have an Aprilia RSV Mille R. Several years ago, I bought it from someone in Cali and paid about 6 grand for it with only 10k miles. It's got over 40k now and aside from stuff I broke from crashing a few times, it hasn't needed anything beyond a new battery every few years, and a replacement for a leaking clutch slave cylinder (about $180 from the dealer) They're very well made motorcycles.

I'm quite certain you could find a nice used example in that price range if you keep an eye out.
Check the bay area rider forum (barf) I usually see a few used ones in their for sale forum at any given time

For 6 grand, I think you should be able to get a nice 05 or 06 RSVR. The RSVR factory editions are probably more in the $6-8k range. If you like the older style like mine, you could get an extremely nice 01-03 for $6k. A mint condition Mille R with low miles, maybe even a Haga edition or Colin Edwards replica.

They are great buys on the used market. They don't have the brand recognition of Ducati, so they don't hold their value as well. But you have to know what they're really selling for. I see ads all the time of people asking outrageous prices. Like $10,000+ But you can find a used RSV4 for that now, so the V-twins are worth less. But some people finance them with zero down, end up way upside in the loan and when they try and sell it a few years later, don't want to face the reality of what it's actually worth. If you want a used Aprilia, you can find a good one for $6,000.

New Aprilia buyers are a different market demographic than typical big four brand buyers. The good news about buying them used is that people usually take care of them better than the average ragged out 600 supersport on craigs list.

I see your avatar. No offense. Those cross plane crank engine do sound great, similar to a V-4, but they make less power and they're heavier than the older pre-2009 models. I'd take a new CBR1000 over a new R1 any day. But hey, Rossi is back on a Yamaha and is supposedly going to help them develop the new 2014 R1s.

If you're going to knock crossplane R1s, for God's sake do not recommend the RSVR...

edit: For the cost of the base RSV4, mine has full Ohlins suspension, a few extra HP on it (post ECU, exhaust, PCV and whatnot), better brakes, etc. It also now weighs roughly the same as an RSV4, which are pretty damn hefty for being such tiny machines. You're right that peak HP is down...after the mods it's around 158-160 rwhp, but it pulls out of a corner better than any other i4 with stock gearing.

Aprilias are nice, though. Less of a pain than many (most) exotics.

There is nothing wrong with big four bikes that have been used, provided you know what to check for. With any used bike, always test ride.

I'd like to see what style of riding he prefers...a sportbike may not be the best option. Something like a Street Triple could be in order...

Jack_AG

Banned
My whip, 2008 Raider:
ANo20.jpg

Dyno'd at 120ft lbs to the pavement.

If you're going to knock crossplane R1s, for God's sake do not recommend the RSVR...

I was knocking them in comparison to the older R1s. First time I've ever seen a company release an updated model with less power.... As far as comparing it to an RSVR, apples and oranges.

edit: For the cost of the base RSV4, mine has full Ohlins suspension, a few extra HP on it (post ECU, exhaust, PCV and whatnot), better brakes, etc. It also now weighs roughly the same as an RSV4, which are pretty damn hefty for being such tiny machines.

I'd still take a base RSV4 over an ohlins equipped R1. They aren't that heavy ! Maybe compared to a Ducati superbike, but they're right around the same weight as a BMWS1000RR or a ZX-10. IIRC about 450-460 wet. I've sat on one. It feels like a 600. And you can't beat the narrow feel of a V-4 or V-2 package compared to an I-4. which feel like barges in comparison. I think all of the new base RSV4 included APRC. It's the best tc system on the market.

iamblades

I was knocking them in comparison to the older R1s. First time I've ever seen a company release an updated model with less power.... As far as comparing it to an RSVR, apples and oranges.

I'd still take a base RSV4 over an ohlins equipped R1. They aren't that heavy ! Maybe compared to a Ducati superbike, but they're right around the same weight as a BMWS1000RR or a ZX-10. IIRC about 450-460 wet. I've sat on one. It feels like a 600. And you can't beat the narrow feel of a V-4 or V-2 package compared to an I-4. which feel like barges in comparison. I think all of the new base RSV4 included APRC. It's the best tc system on the market.

I've never ridden an RSV4 or an R1, but as far as I know they have the same dry weight, so I don't think that should be the deciding factor. Most brands sport bikes are in the same roughly 390-400 lb dry weight, 460ish wet weight range, as you said ducati is the only brand significantly lighter than that, with suzuki in the middle.

Also I actually like the idea behind the crossplane R1, but again, never ridden one. Sacrificing a bit of top end power for a smoother torque curve seems reasonable to me.

I've never ridden an RSV4 or an R1, but as far as I know they have the same dry weight, so I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

Also I actually like the idea behind the crossplane R1, but again, never ridden one.

Dry weight is deception. Curb weight stock vs stock, the R1 is the heaviest 1000cc class motorcycle out there I think. The engine is the cause (more specifically, the weight they added to help stabilize it since it has an uneven firing order). Managing weight is just as (if not more) important as keeping it down. The RSV4 does this wonderfully with a good chassis and great mass centralization with the underbelly exhaust. It's also a very, very small motorcycle - it's smaller than a lot of 600s it seems. The R1 has a good chassis, also, but the bike has some extra pounds. The undertail exhaust is a style choice they've done since 04. Functionally it's worse, but looks and all that. Easiest weight savings - 3/4 titanium exhaust system. Cuts out well over 10lbs. I'm sure my suspension is lighter, too, but the biggest difference is the exhaust. The engine characteristic is pretty similar to the V4. My ECU is flashed to what is similar to Euro spec, though, so stock comparison may not be the same. Overall it's a very nice bike, especially on the street with the low and mid power available, and I got the first year model. Having ridden the 1st gen S1000RR at two track schools I can tell you if I was buying today, the 2nd gen Beemer would be my choice. Easily the best bang for the buck out there, with the ZX-10R with reflashed ECU a close 2nd (but that butt fugly front end is a big no-no).

iamblades

Dry weight is deception. Curb weight stock vs stock, the R1 is the heaviest 1000cc class motorcycle out there I think. The engine is the cause (more specifically, the weight they added to help stabilize it since it has an uneven firing order). Managing weight is just as (if not more) important as keeping it down. The RSV4 does this wonderfully with a good chassis and great mass centralization with the underbelly exhaust. It's also a very, very small motorcycle - it's smaller than a lot of 600s it seems. The R1 has a good chassis, also, but the bike has some extra pounds. The undertail exhaust is a style choice they've done since 04. Functionally it's worse, but looks and all that. Easiest weight savings - 3/4 titanium exhaust system. Cuts out well over 10lbs. I'm sure my suspension is lighter, too, but the biggest difference is the exhaust. The engine characteristic is pretty similar to the V4. My ECU is flashed to what is similar to Euro spec, though, so stock comparison may not be the same. Overall it's a very nice bike, especially on the street with the low and mid power available, and I got the first year model. Having ridden the 1st gen S1000RR at two track schools I can tell you if I was buying today, the 2nd gen Beemer would be my choice. Easily the best bang for the buck out there, with the ZX-10R with reflashed ECU a close 2nd (but that butt fugly front end is a big no-no).

Yeah after I finish paying off my Monster and get better at riding(need to do some track days or track school) I'm dreaming of getting either a 848 EVO or the S1000RR to go with it as a weekend only bike.. The BMW is more bike than I really need, but I really like the electronics BMW puts in their motorcycles, as far as dynamic traction control, anti wheelie, etc.. At 15k MSRP is is definitely a bargain.

daw840

My whip, 2008 Raider:
ANo20.jpg

Dyno'd at 120ft lbs to the pavement.

Sexy!

My next bike is:

2012-victory-high-ball-preview%202.jpg

I just started a new job that will be very lucrative financially. If everything is going well by spring of next year, I will be going to my local Victory dealer and purchasing one. :)

It sort of saddens me to see such immaculate bikes. I got a good deal on mine and mechanically speaking it's sounds. But the previous owner left it outside uncovered in the British weather which needles to say has taken it's toll on some of the aesthetics. Wouldn't be a big deal only I'm incredibly broke and can't afford to fix all the little issues I have with it.

iamblades

Sexy!

My next bike is:

2012-victory-high-ball-preview%202.jpg

I just started a new job that will be very lucrative financially. If everything is going well by spring of next year, I will be going to my local Victory dealer and purchasing one. :)

That thing looks like a cartoon motorcycle. :D

Spoke wheels with the white walls are an odd choice though..

Ah, but it's a 4 piston brake.

And....I learned on a 1984 Nighthawk 700. The brakes on that thing are awful, you would be terrified to ride this bike. I didn't even know they were bad until I bought my SV.

Hehe. Yeah my calipers are 3 each. What kind of job did you land? Congrats... :)

daw840

Hehe. Yeah my calipers are 3 each. What kind of job did you land? Congrats... :)

Air Traffic Control

It pays phenomenally for my area but is incredibly hard to actually get in and stay in. The wash out rate is very large. I'll know if I will be good by next spring.

Watevaman

Good luck with it, man.

I personally can't wait to have a full time job, just so I can buy something a bit better by saving up more than I can right now.

Priced a paint job today for the FZ6 (even though I can't really afford it). Considering turning the bike matte or satin black either via, paint, plasti dip or vinyl. Haven't decided yet.

Any tips for buying a used bike? It'll be my first. Should I get it inspected at a shop? Find someone locally who knows what to look for?

Bikes here have to go for a safety inspection before they can be registered, so many of the ones up for sale have already had this done. However, from what I've heard the inspection is really really basic, so I'm not really sure.

If you know someone who knows bikes I'd get him/her to come along with you to help look it over. Never buy a used bike without a test ride (by you or someone you trust). If the seller does not allow a test ride under any circumstances, walk.

If you can get a certificate showing it passing inspection it always helps - one less thing you'd have to do before getting it on the road (and perhaps a little bit of extra assurance for you knowing it has the inspector's approval).

^^What he said...ALWAYS test ride. I looked at zx10 once that looked pretty good...till I took it for a spin around the block.

Any tips for buying a used bike? It'll be my first. Should I get it inspected at a shop? Find someone locally who knows what to look for?

Bikes here have to go for a safety inspection before they can be registered, so many of the ones up for sale have already had this done. However, from what I've heard the inspection is really really basic, so I'm not really sure.

About same thing you do to buy a used car. Either get it inspected at a shop or find a friend to go with you. Also watch out for titles, it seems as though a lot of bikers love to not transfer titles into their names. If it isn't in their name, I wouldn't deal with it. It could get costly just to get it under yours.

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but as far as I'm aware, here in the UK private sales have to comply with consumer rights now. There's no such thing as sold as seen any more. If you purchase a vehicle and it ends up like crap the law is on your side, and in theory, should sort you out if there's any shady business.

Woohoo, finished my motorcycle safety course. A lot of fun. :D

I was riding a Honda CBR125R the whole time. I was hoping they might have a dual sport I could try but no such luck.

First time on any type of motorcycle, so I was a bit surprised by how quick it felt (after reading about how slow 125s are). I think I will probably buy a 250cc bike in the next few weeks.

Woohoo, finished my motorcycle safety course. A lot of fun. :D

I was riding a Honda CBR125R the whole time. I was hoping they might have a dual sport I could try but no such luck.

First time on any type of motorcycle, so I was a bit surprised by how quick it felt (after reading about how slow 125s are). I think I will probably buy a 250cc bike in the next few weeks.

Congrats! I never even knew Honda made a 125cc version of the CBR. 250 is def the way to go for your first bike. Buy used!

Congrats! I never even knew Honda made a 125cc version of the CBR. 250 is def the way to go for your first bike. Buy used!

Thanks! Yeah I just realized the 125 is available in Canada but not the US. My friend is going to help me find a bike in the next few weeks. I think the only real choice is whether I want an 08+ Ninja 250 or the previous generation. Apparently there is very little off-road riding around here.

iamblades

Thanks! Yeah I just realized the 125 is available in Canada but not the US. My friend is going to help me find a bike in the next few weeks. I think the only real choice is whether I want an 08+ Ninja 250 or the previous generation. Apparently there is very little off-road riding around here.

I'd consider the CBR250R as well, they have only been around a couple of years so you'll have to buy a newer bike than if you buy a Ninja, but a 2008+ Ninja won't be hugely cheaper than a 2011 CBR250R. The Honda seems to me to have much better build quality that the Ninja, and it looks better IMO.

I'd consider the CBR250R as well, they have only been around a couple of years so you'll have to buy a newer bike than if you buy a Ninja, but a 2008+ Ninja won't be hugely cheaper than a 2011 CBR250R. The Honda seems to me to have much better build quality that the Ninja, and it looks better IMO.

I'll definitely give it a look. Seems it would cost me around $4000 ish for a 2011 CBR250R. I like that it has fuel injection, and some of them have ABS (not sure if I would spend extra for that though).

I'll try to test ride both and go from there.

About the Ninja, is a carb going to be an issue on cold days? I live near a whole bunch of families (university family housing) so I don't really want to idle a loud bike for 5 minutes and wake every kid up if it's going to be an issue. My only experience so far is the nice FI on the CBR125R. :p

Flo_Evans

You must have just had your ban lifted eh? That was a nice ride...we'll have to head down towards Potosi next time so I can try some of the roads you were talking about.

Yeah lol. It's a haul out there, need to leave before lunch. Probably a 200 mile day vs. the 100 that we did Sunday. Roads are faster though, wider and more banked.

That looks so nice and smooth. I would love to get a camera so I could get a video that shows the pathetic quality of British roads.

Some of the cruiser guys where complaining there where bumps so I went for fresher paved stuff. Normally I would be riding on gravel roads or the woods. :p

daw840

I know my opinion won't be real popular, but if you're going for a sport bike as a first bike I would recommend something like the Ninja 650r or Suzuki SV650. Bikes like that are extremely manageable and have enough power not to want to upgrade after your first season of riding.

Just stay away from inline 4 sport bikes, stick with the twins.

Not the big twins though.

Top Bottom