• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

A little curious here, but how much do you guys get charged for changing tires? I know a lot of you do it yourself, but I was just quoted $43/wheel with the wheels off and tires already bought. I said thanks and am going to get them done somewhere else, as that seems a bit steep.

That's a ripoff. But it seems like you knew that.

With the wheels already off the bike, it shouldn't take them more than 5 minutes a tire. So what they quoted you comes out to over $400 an hour for labor.

Many places don't like to change tires you didn't buy from them, because retail prices are usually a good 20% higher than internet prices.

I don't know where you're from, but try and find an independent type of shop, a non-stealership.

Is my best bet to buy used gear? Is there anything I should buy new (helmet I presume)?

I definitely wouldn't buy a used helmet, but that's me. A helmet is absolutely worth spending as much as you can afford. The expensive helmets like Arai or Shoei are much more comfortable than the crappy <$100 lids. If you want a middle ground, look at Scorpion.

It's probably not wise to spend a fortune on gear if you're not really committed to it. But I don't think I've ever met anyone that went through the MSF course and decided they didn't want to ride more.

If you go into a cyclegear you can get a pair of gloves and a textile jacket for not a lot more than $100. Of course leather is better, but more expensive and hotter than hell in the summer. ( Depending on your climate ) It gets well over 100F here, so even perforated leather is too hot for the summer months.

Good boots are expensive but are one of the easiest things to find deals on used pairs. I got a pair of like new Sidis off ebay for about 1/4th of the retail price. But you need to know your size in whatever brand you're shopping. Many use European sizing, so it will be like a 43 or 44 or 45....

If you're really sure you want to get into riding, I wouldn't even waste money buying crappy gear. Get the best you can afford to begin with.

I definitely wouldn't buy a used helmet, but that's me. A helmet is absolutely worth spending as much as you can afford. The expensive helmets like Arai or Shoei are much more comfortable than the crappy <$100 lids. If you want a middle ground, look at Scorpion.

It's probably not wise to spend a fortune on gear if you're not really committed to it. But I don't think I've ever met anyone that went through the MSF course and decided they didn't want to ride more.

If you go into a cyclegear you can get a pair of gloves and a textile jacket for not a lot more than $100. Of course leather is better, but more expensive and hotter than hell in the summer. ( Depending on your climate ) It gets well over 100F here, so even perforated leather is too hot for the summer months.

Good boots are expensive but are one of the easiest things to find deals on used pairs. I got a pair of like new Sidis off ebay for about 1/4th of the retail price. But you need to know your size in whatever brand you're shopping. Many use European sizing, so it will be like a 43 or 44 or 45....

If you're really sure you want to get into riding, I wouldn't even waste money buying crappy gear. Get the best you can afford to begin with.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. My local classifieds seems to have slim pickings for what would fit me, so I'm leaning towards just buying new gear. I'm in Canada but I can order from the states and pick up at the border (for the stuff I don't buy locally).

Do you know any good websites to order gear from?

I tried on some jackets and a bunch of helmets. The Shoei RF-1100 felt great, made some other helmets I tried seem very cheap in comparison (in both meanings of the word).

I noticed of the jackets I tried on, quite a few were "mesh" with a removable liner. Are those supposed to just be summer wear (versus non-mesh ones)?

Mesh jackets are for summer use, yeah. I would not recommend an all-mesh textile. They'll just disintegrate.

Any jacket you do pick should be reasonably snug, not baggy. Leather is nice in this way because it fits more like "shell" and tends to hold its shape much better. This is nicer with wind as it won't ripple and flap everywhere. If you go leather and you are leaning towards warm weather riding, I highly recommend perforated wear. The few cooler rides I do end up doing with my jacket (which is perforated for summer use) I just wear a nice base layer that traps heat.

ChanHuk

Banned
I have both leather and textile/mesh. I'd definitely get a perforated leather if you got the cash. As for as mesh/textile, they're one time use jackets. If you go down, they're no good afterwards. But from what I've seen, they do their job in protecting you.

Thanks for the tips. I did some more reading, and I'm definitely going to go with a perforated leather jacket.

Hopefully I can start getting my gear this weekend, planning on doing the course in about 3 weeks. Pretty excited!

As an update, I picked up an Icon Overlord leather jacket from the local shop. The girl there was super helpful, and I foresee the shop getting my business in the future.

Much snugger than any normal jacket I've owned. Looks like this:

jbwKvGXbFKx0g1.jpg

Tried on some Arai helmets, didn't find them completely comfortable. I think I will probably go for a Shoei, but I'm still thinking about it. Still need gloves as well, among other things.

Nice!

I'd get the CE rated back protector for it.

How does that work? Got a link?

If it's supposed to fit inside the jacket I'm not sure how much more room there is. :p Pretty tight as is.

edit: Found it. I'll see if I can check it out in-store, didn't realize it was available. I also see this jacket can zip into Icon pants, I'll probably get a pair of those for the 2-piece thing.

iamblades

How does that work? Got a link?

If it's supposed to fit inside the jacket I'm not sure how much more room there is. :p Pretty tight as is.

edit: Found it. I'll see if I can check it out in-store, didn't realize it was available. I also see this jacket can zip into Icon pants, I'll probably get a pair of those for the 2-piece thing.

Yeah the jacket should have a pocket on the inside for the spine shield, it's not very thick at all, just a little piece of hard foam plastic. Getting the matching pants is also a good idea.

As for helmet choices, I'd check out AGV as well. IMO they fit me better than any other helmet I've tried(if you don't mind a snug fit that is), they also tend to have lower prices for the same level of features than Arai or Shoei.

Also don't write off all Arais depending on which you tried on. Arai is one of the manufacturers that makes a bunch of helmets with radically different head shapes. The RX-Q and the profile are completely differently shaped.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

Check this chart when shopping so you can narrow in on what kind of head shape fits you best.

I'm in Canada but I can order from the states and pick up at the border (for the stuff I don't buy locally).

Eventually if you ride long enough, you'll have a collection of gear. I have a mesh jacket, as well as two different leather jackets. I use the mesh in the summer time because you can't ride in 100+F degree weather with full leather without getting a heat stroke. If you're Canadian, you don't need a mesh jacket. I doubt it would ever get hot enough to be a necessity.
Do you know any good websites to order gear from?

www.motorcycle-superstore.com

But I'd suggest you try and find a local shop so you can try the stuff on. You don't want to order blindly. A good fit is important with motorcycle gear. If you're sure exactly what size you need in what you want, you can usually save buying over the internet.

The Shoei RF-1100 felt great, made some other helmets I tried seem very cheap in comparison (in both meanings of the word).

That's a great helmet. The shape of your head will determine what helmet you should buy. Some brands and models will fit better than others.

edit: I read you got your jacket but still need gloves. I think Alpinestars makes the best affordable ones. You can get an over the wrist/gauntlet style (which I recommend) starting at around $75-100.

iamblades

Eventually if you ride long enough, you'll have a collection of gear. I have a mesh jacket, as well as two different leather jackets. I use the mesh in the summer time because you can't ride in 100+F degree weather with full leather without getting a heat stroke. If you're Canadian, you don't need a mesh jacket. I doubt it would ever get hot enough to be a necessity.

www.motorcycle-superstore.com

But I'd suggest you try and find a local shop so you can try the stuff on. You don't want to order blindly. A good fit is important with motorcycle gear. If you're sure exactly what size you need in what you want, you can usually save buying over the internet.

That's a great helmet. The shape of your head will determine what helmet you should buy. Some brands and models will fit better than others.

edit: I read you got your jacket but still need gloves. I think Alpinestars makes the best affordable ones. You can get an over the wrist/gauntlet style (which I recommend) starting at around $75-100.

Also Revzilla.com and sportbiketrackgear.com are really good sites for ordering stuff.

As for gloves, I have a pair of super cheap sedici(cycle gear's house brand) gauntlets that I picked up on a whim for like $40 that are super comfortable and pretty damn well built.

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful stuff.

The RF-1100s at the shop were the variants with styled designs. I'd like to get one in a solid colour though, preferably something bright like orange, yellow, or possibly red. I prefer the look of the grey but I definitely want something for visibility.

In fact a bright green might be nice, but I haven't seen one of those. Would match the (used--first bike!) Ninja 250 I'm going to buy. :p

I don't think the local shops had AGV, but I'll try some more Arais before deciding.

iamblades

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful stuff.

The RF-1100s at the shop were the variants with styled designs. I'd like to get one in a solid colour though, preferably something bright like orange, yellow, or possibly red. I prefer the look of the grey but I definitely want something for visibility.

In fact a bright green might be nice, but I haven't seen one of those. Would match the (used--first bike!) Ninja 250 I'm going to buy. :p

I don't think the local shops had AGV, but I'll try some more Arais before deciding.

For visibility something I suggest is reflective tape/stickers. You can get that stuff in basically any color these days, so during the day it just looks red or black or whatever, but when it gets hit with a light it glows white. Really cool stuff. You can just buy they vinyl sheets in bulk and cut your own stickers if you are handy.
aUapt.jpg

During the day I'm not sure how much it helps to look like a traffic cone, but at night, those reflectors can light you up like a christmas tree.

Yeah, if the RF-1100 works for you, by all means get it. Shoei makes great stuff. I personally like their stuff more than arai just because I don't like arai's goofy little shield pod/cover things. Was just saying that trying on a couple helmets of one brand doesn't really tell you much.

As an owner of Shoei and Arai I'd have to side with the new Shoei helmets I think (assuming they fit you better). The only reason I'm wearing an Arai now is because it fits perfectly. Shoei's shields being notched is much nicer than smooth action found on Arais, the fit and finish of the Shoei seems to be a bit better (though Arai is up there and always has fantastic paint job for instance). My last Shoei I work (X-Twelve) seemed to be noticeably more aerodynamic. Arai markets their helmets to have an "organic" shape (like your own head) but I don't think this is best for stability with wind compared to a more elongated shell.

If you can get an idea of your head shape when you find a helmet that fits really well, you may try some of the brands not in the shop by ordering. I know it's not nearly as ideal as being able to test right then and there, and if it doesn't fit you have to ship it back. Some companies (like RevZilla I believe) will not charge you return shipping on the first exchange. AGV and Shark (my personal favorite for IMO best design, lowest weight, features, etc.) are good. Check out WebBikeWorld for some helmet reviews, including some lesser-known brands that can be quite good. A couple helmets that I'd like to try but you'll have to get them through an importer are Airoh and X-Lite (but yeah those are annoying to get a hold of here).

iamblades

As an owner of Shoei and Arai I'd have to side with the new Shoei helmets I think (assuming they fit you better). The only reason I'm wearing an Arai now is because it fits perfectly. Shoei's shields being notched is much nicer than smooth action found on Arais, the fit and finish of the Shoei seems to be a bit better (though Arai is up there and always has fantastic paint job for instance). My last Shoei I work (X-Twelve) seemed to be noticeably more aerodynamic. Arai markets their helmets to have an "organic" shape (like your own head) but I don't think this is best for stability with wind compared to a more elongated shell.

If you can get an idea of your head shape when you find a helmet that fits really well, you may try some of the brands not in the shop by ordering. I know it's not nearly as ideal as being able to test right then and there, and if it doesn't fit you have to ship it back. Some companies (like RevZilla I believe) will not charge you return shipping on the first exchange. AGV and Shark (my personal favorite for IMO best design, lowest weight, features, etc.) are good. Check out WebBikeWorld for some helmet reviews, including some lesser-known brands that can be quite good. A couple helmets that I'd like to try but you'll have to get them through an importer are Airoh and X-Lite (but yeah those are annoying to get a hold of here).

This is the big thing I notice with Arai as well. I hate their shield system. Needlessly complex, clunky, and poorly constructed as well. It's a very form over function design. Aside from that they make great helmets

This is the big thing I notice with Arai as well. I hate their shield system. Needlessly complex, clunky, and poorly constructed as well. It's a very form over function design. Aside from that they make great helmets

The cheek pad system is also needlessly stupid compared to virtually every other brand. They're priced way too high to be subpar in these areas, to be honest. Venting is decent on most Arai helmets, though, so that's nice.

This might be a stupid question, but do helmets usually come with tinted visors? All the helmets I tried on had clear visors.

Or do most people just wear sunglasses under them?

iamblades

This might be a stupid question, but do helmets usually come with tinted visors? All the helmets I tried on had clear visors.

Or do most people just wear sunglasses under them?

Almost all of them come standard with clear, but they all sell tinted shields as well. It's not really safe to use a tinted shield for night riding. Clear with sunglasses is good if you don't feel like swapping shields constantly. I'm thinking about just buying a secondary high vis helmet just for use at night though, then I would swap to a different shield for my daytime helmet.

ETA: also basically all the big brands have UV coatings on their clear shields, so you don't need tint or mirror to protect your eyes, it's just a matter of glare really.

ChanHuk

Banned
So changed the fluids on my bike (oil, brake, coolant) and installed a new battery. CEL was still on so I was going to various auto stores to see if they had a ODBII scanner and nobody had one like they're supposed to. CEL just magically disappeared, I'm guessing the ECU cycled itself and I guess my old battery was at fault. I'm a happy camper either ways, still want to trade it in for a Speed Triple.

Tekniqs

went to Laguna Seca yesterday. Those MotoGP bikes sound so damn GODLIKE! Interestingly, the race before that was the electric bikes race. Now those things are silent. There was one in particular that if you had your back turned, you'd never know it passed by.

Update #2. Got gloves this time. (Icon Overlords, coincidentally same model as my jacket.)

i17NLJFHAXPyV.JPG

Tried the Shoei RF-1100 on again and it was actually uncomfortable. I am between a small and medium and the head shape just wasn't perfect. Going to keep looking, might end up with an Arai.

ChanHuk

Banned
If it don't fit, you must acquit. Find a helmet that fits, I cannot stress that enough. It should be snug but not so that theres extreme pressure on the top of your crown. Arai fits me weird but they have different shells for their various lines. So look into them. Shoei just fit me perfectly.

If anyone is looking for a great bang for buck glove. Look into the Spartan SL-1, $175 but you get yourself a kangaroo/stingray glove with kevlar and titanium knuckle guard. Comparable to the Held Titan glove which cost a pretty penny.

ChanHuk

Banned
Also, Shell Rotella T6, use it. Fuck the oil snobs, this stuff is great. I have noticed no difference between this and Mobil 1 except for price.

I'm in a bit of a small-ish town, not having luck with helmets. I'm going to head up to Toronto in the next week and go to some big shops. Also still need pants (I have a short inseam).

Aced my written moto test, woot. 2 weeks till my course though.

How uncomfortable is the helmet when you wear it? Is it actually causing pain or is it just a really tight fit? Most helmets will actually break in a feel better after you've worn for awhile. But if it's actually causing some pain, I would move on to another helmet to try.

How uncomfortable is the helmet when you wear it? Is it actually causing pain or is it just a really tight fit? Most helmets will actually break in a feel better after you've worn for awhile. But if it's actually causing some pain, I would move on to another helmet to try.

It wasn't painful but it felt fairly tight. The cheekpads were good but I was worried that the tightness of the forehead band area would give me a headache.

It's probably just being a little paranoid, but I was looking at a $570 helmet so who knows. ~_~

iamblades

It wasn't painful but it felt fairly tight. The cheekpads were good but I was worried that the tightness of the forehead band area would give me a headache.

It's probably just being a little paranoid, but I was looking at a $570 helmet so who knows. ~_~

You should also ask about switching out internals. If the helmet fits otherwise, you might be able to swap out the headband/comfort liner and swap in the next higher size(or get the next higher size helmet and get bigger cheekpads), depending on brand and model.

Dougald

Be aware also that in my experience helmets will Break in after a while. A friend of mine decided to go for a slightly larger fitting HJC because he was afraid the smaller fit was too tight. After 6 months the cheekpads had loosened up so much the helmet was dangerously large for his head.. he ended up getting the smaller fit.

My Arai was a little too tight when I bought it, now it fits perfectly... just my experience

Watevaman

When I was looking into helmets, I found out that you should pretty much get the smallest helmet that doesn't hurt your head after wearing it for ~10 minutes. I ordered my EXO-1100 in large at first and it felt great everywhere but after 5/10 minutes, I developed a hot spot in the middle of my forehead and it would've killed me to keep wearing it. I jumped up to an XL and everything it snug as a rug.

Make sure you're wearing it properly. If the helmet isn't all the way on your head it will not feel right. Too much pressure to the point of discomfort is bad. Uneven pressure is bad. The crown/upper head region is the primary area I've found that can be troublesome, and there is the least amount of wiggle room when it comes to adjusting fit. Cheek pads are easy. Just make sure any comfortable helmet passes the various roll/slide tests while it's on your head. If you don't know what those are, check YouTube for helmet fit videos - there are plenty.

Discusguy

Could somebody recommend good chain cleaner and lube products. I'm in the UK so something I can get on these shores.

Thanks.

I just cleaned my chain last last week. I used kerosene to clean chain and Motorex to lube the chain. I ride a '07 R6. Worked damn nice.

My baby

V__861A.jpg

I just cleaned my chain last last week. I used kerosene to clean chain and Motorex to lube the chain. I ride a '07 R6. Worked damn nice.

My baby

V__861A.jpg
I was thinking WD40 would do for cleaning and I had seen motorex. Was it this stuff you used?

I'm trying to find a way of getting the back wheel off the ground too. This is the first time I will be doing this. I have no centre or paddock stand and don't fancy the laborious task of having to keep moving it. I've heard of a technique using a car jack and 2x4, but the bikes I've seen it used on had reinforced areas it was safe to do so. I don't know if there is anywhere on the FZ6 I could do that.

That really is a great looking machine mate.

2012-05-09153821.jpg

My bike (the farthest one with red wheel tape), the only half decent picture I have.

Could somebody recommend good chain cleaner and lube products. I'm in the UK so something I can get on these shores.

Thanks.

I use Maxima's Clean Up chain cleaner, scrub and hose off, followed by WD40 with brushes (gets any rust off) and some paper towels to get it a bit cleaner still, then chain lube. I use Silkolene at the moment but have had good luck with Motul, also. Semi-synthetic is nice because it's not so dirty and I think tends to adhere a little better (less flinging).

Discusguy

With the korosene all that stuff comes off so easy. I barely had to scrub with my brush. Not really sure what the diff is with the Motorex but I used the one for road use instead of racing.
Love the way the FZ6 looks. Best thing I did was purchase a rear stand. It'll pay for it self after.

With the korosene all that stuff comes off so easy. I barely had to scrub with my brush. Not really sure what the diff is with the Motorex but I used the one for road use instead of racing.
What model yamaha is that. Love the look of them.

I used kerosene a lot. The Clean Up is a degreaser product that is pretty much effin magic in my experience. It's pretty popular with a lot motorcycle shops, too. Some MX guys recommended it to me.

Those are Euro FZ6s I think...we cannot get them here. You'd have to mod the upper of our version to make it the same. The FZ8 has a slick look, though :)

Cheers for the info guys.

I would by a rear stand but I'm so broke at the minute. Trying to do everything on the cheap.

Edit: as for the FZ6, thesoapster is correct. The US only have a faired model with the naked frame available in the EU.

Discusguy

I used kerosene a lot. The Clean Up is a degreaser product that is pretty much effin magic in my experience. It's pretty popular with a lot motorcycle shops, too. Some MX guys recommended it to me.

Those are Euro FZ6s I think...we cannot get them here. You'd have to mod the upper of our version to make it the same. The FZ8 has a slick look, though :)

Could you provide a link to the product for me.

On a side note this is the best cleaner & polisher I've ever used. Just learned about it last month. It make my bike freaking pop.

Pro Honda Cleaner & Polisher

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0083BWTYS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1344736475&sr=8-5&keywords=pro+honda+spray+cleaner+%26+polish

Watevaman

Yeah, kerosene eats up grime like nothing else. I used it on my chain when I first bought my (neglected) bike and it pretty much made it look like new. Also got all the grime off the pristine white wheels.

MultiCore

Dear Two Wheel Gaf:

I've got an opportunity to pick up an '05 Hayabusa with 9,000 miles for six grand. Stock except yoshi pipes. Never layed down, always garaged.

Is this a good deal to you guys?

Any reasons I shouldn't get a Hayabusa?

Thanks in advance.

Watevaman

In my honest opinion (even though I've only ridden a few bikes), I would not buy a Hayabusa. First off, I think it's one of the ugliest bikes out there. It sits low and looks fat. Also, never have ridden one, it still looks like it's designed for straight line speed, which is why I think the general crowd that owns them does. There's a certain stereotype associated with Hayabusa riders, similar to Harley riders and sportbike riders that you probably won't escape even if you try.

Anyways, KBB values for that year range from 4,750 for a trade in up to 6,700 for what you'd pay at a dealership. Take that as you see.

MultiCore

In my honest opinion (even though I've only ridden a very bikes), I would not buy a Hayabusa. First off, I think it's one of the ugliest bikes out there. It sits low and looks fat. Also, never have ridden one, it still looks like it's designed for straight line speed, which is why I think the general crowd that owns them does. There's a certain stereotype associated with Hayabusa riders, similar to Harley riders and sportbike riders that you probably won't escape even if you try.

Anyways, KBB values for that year range from 4,750 for a trade in up to 6,700 for what you'd pay at a dealership. Take that as you see.

Yeah, the styling has definitely become very polarizing, heh. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an R1 instead, but when I worked at a bike shop, I used to spend a lot of time sitting on our floor model, and swore I'd own one some day.

I appreciate your input, sir.

Top Bottom