• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PS Vita - Available for Pre-Order tomorrow

They need to release this thing for £100, and maybe say £130 with a 16GB card and Killzone or Tearaway bundled in. I'm sure their prices will be nothing like that, but I'm just talking if they want to damn thing to be competitive and sell reasonably.

pukko

Neo Member
Any chance it is the Vita TV? :(

My guess is that the Vita TV won't be released until this autumn, or perhaps around the same time as PS Now in EU. If it gets released here at all.

Releasing it now is to guarantee failure imho. They need either some software to back it up (ps now or possibly minecraft, but you can play that on your ps3 or 360 instead), or build up some hype during christmas.

What? They still have to offer stock up for pre-order, no matter how relatively poor said product is doing. Ridiculous.

I just personally don't remember ever hearing about other revisions going up for preorder. If it's normal, then my bad. Google search and responses to my post seem to suggest that it is indeed normal. Still baffling to me but, hey, the world is a crazy place.

Ogawa-san

For example, Dracula X Chronicles is a PSP game that has tons of jaggies and dithering, even running on a PSP. On an OLED Vita, the edges of the models are softer, ghosting is almost non-existent (it was an issue on my PSP), and the dithering isn't as pronounced, because in the parts of the screen where it's black, you don't see it. The game went from pretty ugly to acceptable, thanks to OLED.
That's not a good example.

Ghosting isn't an LCD problem, the early PSP models just happened to pack early/cheaper tech. Later models didn't have the issue. Also, Vita applies filtering to PS1/PSP games, they'll look better even on a Vita 2k.

That's pretty much impossible to do. People have their preferences, and they're firmly entrenched when it comes to OLED vs. LCD.

For me, the 2000 improves nearly everything about the Vita: back touch panel is better, lighter, thinner, Micro USB port, better battery, cool colors.

The screen, however, is a downgrade to me for a few reasons. I've compared both side-by-side, and the differences were immediately apparent: blacks take the biggest hit, but colors in general, while truer, wash out the vibrancy of some games. LCD also creates a sharper image, which is normally great, but for some titles, it means imperfections (jaggies and such), especially in PSP/PS1 and non-native resolution games, stand out more. The OLED screen, on the other hand, softens them, thanks to the true blacks/pixels turning completely off when not in use.

For example, Dracula X Chronicles is a PSP game that has tons of jaggies and dithering, even running on a PSP. On an OLED Vita, the edges of the models are softer, ghosting is almost non-existent (it was an issue on my PSP), and the dithering isn't as pronounced, because in the parts of the screen where it's black, you don't see it. The game went from pretty ugly to acceptable, thanks to OLED.

Of course, it all depends on the game, and having moved from AMOLED to LCD on my smartphone, over time, it doesn't really matter. Your eyes will adjust, and you won't notice unless you have them side by side.

Sounds like I'll be gettin a 2000 just for the new feel, but keep my two 1000s as backups or for specific games.

While not firesale prices, the OLED with a 16gb and Tearaway.LBP has been available for as low as £140 over the past few months.

The standalone is available is £129 brand new from shopto, which isn't as good as the Tearaway bundle, but it's still a good price.
That £129 ShopTo price is tempting, but I've never bought from there and am not really keen on doing so after the credit card debacle a while back. It's a shame Amazon isn't price matching this. I'd get one of the download bundles, but I plan to maker a US PSN account, so I wouldn't be able to use the PAL games unless I format the Vita each time to use a memory card with PAL items right...? Or is there a way around this.

According to a source at VG247, the PS Vita Slim (or whatever they're officially calling it) will be initially only available in black and will cost £189.

If the price is true, then it's a complete waste of everyone's time. For context, Play Asia is selling the damn things for sub-£150 (before P&P obviously, but still).

That's not a good example.

Ghosting isn't an LCD problem, the early PSP models just happened to pack early/cheaper tech. Later models didn't have the issue. Also, Vita applies filtering to PS1/PSP games, they'll look better even on a Vita 2k.

Yes, better LCD's can have better refresh rates. That is true, and I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Dithering point still stands. Also, I've compared PSP games on both models. It is night and day to me.

hohoXD123

According to a source at VG247, the PS Vita Slim (or whatever they're officially calling it) will be initially only available in black and will cost £189.

If the price is true, then it's a complete waste of everyone's time. For context, Play Asia is selling the damn things for sub-£150 (before P&P obviously, but still).

mHM3DMk.gif

btkadams

How bad is the burn in for OLED model?

i have zero burn-in and have gamed on it regularly since launch. i don't really use the non-gaming apps like the internet browser though, so it may be something to think about if you'll be using them. i'm not sure though.

Jonnax

That's higher than the price for the OLED Vita. Perhaps they're going to try getting rid of old stock before they drop the price?

pukko

Neo Member

If the price is true, then it's a complete waste of everyone's time.

Yikes. Complete waste it is. What is the official price for the old Vita in uk? It's been around 140-160 on e.g. amazon uk so long so I didn't really think the official price could possibly be any higher than £180

In the vernacular of these shores, BOLLOCKS. I was thinking of getting one of those gun-metal grey ones.

Yikes. Complete waste it is. What is the official price for the old Vita in uk? It's been around 140-160 on e.g. amazon uk so long so I didn't really think the official price could possibly be any higher than £180

Well officially they can only quote RRP, and it's up to retailers to charge what they like.

curb

Banned
That's higher than the price for the OLED Vita. Perhaps they're going to try getting rid of old stock before they drop the price?

That's fairly normal, isn't it? Then once the old model stock is gone, they can have a new headline about dropping the price of the slim model.

Superflat

A Vita TV would be of most benefit to me since I actually have one and I want it to link to my US account lol. Just been using it as a Persona 4 Golden machine, and it's great, but it can be so much more if I could get my PSN games in there >:U

LAA

£189? Ouch. Says "With a game" though. So £159 perhaps standalone if they offer that as an option...which they probably will.
Should be cheaper than a Vita 1000 really, but if it isnt, hopefully it'll mean Vita 1000's get a price cut so may pick up another for cheaper.

I hope the new Vita gets an OLED screen though, if not in this version, another version.

That £129 ShopTo price is tempting, but I've never bought from there and am not really keen on doing so after the credit card debacle a while back. It's a shame Amazon isn't price matching this. I'd get one of the download bundles, but I plan to maker a US PSN account, so I wouldn't be able to use the PAL games unless I format the Vita each time to use a memory card with PAL items right...? Or is there a way around this.

I think that's how it works. I don't have multiple accounts, so can't comment with anything definitive, but I do think you have to format the Vita every time. Can someone who has multiple accounts across regions chime in please?

Haha, what?

Go home Sony, you're drunk.

TomShoe

Banned

$313! You've gotta be kidding me.

Sigh, if that's true, then it's another opportunity wasted. It's a shame too, I was holding out for a 2k Vita, since I don't mind the LCD screen. If they announce it at this price, they'll get laughed out of their own breakfast. Might as well sit back and wait for an OLED to go on sale.

I'd love to get my hands on one of these at some point to try it out. The weight reduction, more ergonomic feel, battery life improvements, and non-proprietary USB cable would be nice to have if the screen looks okay in person and it launches at a reasonable price...

Superflat

I'd love to get my hands on one of these at some point to try it out. The weight reduction, more ergonomic feel, battery life improvements, and non-proprietary USB cable would be nice to have if the screen looks okay in person and it launches at a reasonable price...

Yea, the mini USB port and battery life makes it much more appealing to use it outside. Having the OLED be my home device while having a longer lasting Slim as a travel device is pretty appealing.

...Or maybe I just want two Vitas for the sake of it.

curb

Banned
Yea, the mini USB port and battery life makes it much more appealing to use it outside. Having the OLED be my home device while having a longer lasting Slim as a travel device is pretty appealing.

...Or maybe I just want two Vitas for the sake of it.

I kinda want two Vitas as well but I can't find any reason whatsoever to justify it.

Ogawa-san

How? I'd love a Slim 3DS and the OG Vita is freakin' huge/uncomfortable to hold.
Huge?

Vita 2k is slightly slimmer and lighter, sure, but the original isn't a PSP v1. THAT was one hell of a brick, and I don't think the difference between Vita versions will feel as huge as PSP vs. PSP Slim.

Wait... technically I have two Vitas already because I have a Vita TV hooked up in the living room. So getting a slim would be my third OH GOD
http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5656

I think you'll have to get rid of one of them :|

That VG247 price has a game included. Although it's still... I mean, you could get an OG Vita, Tearaway, LBP and a 16GB memory card for like £140 at one point.

Also if it's only available in black, no deal. I want a white/blue model.

Tapejara

Guess this means I'm gonna have to pick up a second OLED Vita. Mine has a scratch on the screen and it annoys the hell out of me. Hopefully this also means NA is getting the coloured models! I want that lime green one so badly.

If the 2000 is really launching at £190, and anyone really wants it, just hold out for the price cut. It's probably just to get the crazy early adopters spending full price and will drop in price pretty sharpish.

Top Bottom