• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PS Vita - Available for Pre-Order tomorrow

Where does this notion that the 2000 screen is crap come from? It might not be OLED but it is still really crisp and has great colours. I have no complaints at all about mine.

Edit: I imported mine for ~£140 + postage from Nippon-Yasan just after it released in JP. £190 is an atrocious price if that is true.

It's lcd so it's crap... this isn't about my version is better wars, lcd panels are crap on their own it doesn't need to be compared to anything

stryke

Every Oled vita I bought has this problem with lines on the screen, it's the only reason I'm considering slim. It's almost impossible to find a good oled vita. It becomes very visible when playing low res games like soul sacrifice and uncharted.

I had to exchange my Vita twice before I found one that didn't have the weird vertical streaks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Any chance that this is a new Vita with Sony Triluminos screen (Xperia z1/ultra) and not that crappy LCD in the Vita 2000?

I will give any/all details if you can answer the brightness question.

I don't know the answer unfortunately, but I hope someone here does, because now I'm curious about the original question and this shared wife situation.

I read somewhere that the Vita-2000 was actually brighter than the OG Vita, but I can't remember where I saw that or confirm if it's true.

EDIT: Well, clearly I was wrong based on the post below me.

Ok one last question lol

To those who have the 2k model, is it possible to lower the brightness much more than the OLED model?

I ask this cause I game at night in bed next to my wife and the OLED vita is STILL way too bright even on the lowest possible setting.

The LCD version isn't nearly as bright. In fact, it takes a higher brightness setting to match the OLED screen.

However, keep in mind that even at low settings it is still damn bright, and the blacks are still lit.

Shroudent

I imported a slim a month ago. The screen is not as vibrant as my original was which is expected since it isn't an OLED. But the battery life, extended grips on the back, and lightness make up for it 10 fold.

LAA

I imported a slim a month ago. The screen is not as vibrant as my original was which is expected since it isn't an OLED. But the battery life, extended grips on the back, and lightness make up for it 10 fold.

Damn, really tempting me to get it, but... Dat OLED! *cries*
Just gonna hope they include the OLED screen for this version
unlikely

Eusis

Every Oled vita I bought has this problem with lines on the screen, it's the only reason I'm considering slim. It's almost impossible to find a good oled vita. It becomes very visible when playing low res games like soul sacrifice and uncharted.
Seemed more straight up impossible to me. But yeah, it's the most annoying thing with OLED, enough that a good LCD can be arguably preferable (and certainly would be for certain games at the least.)

No Love

Banned
Fuck the new Vita LCD, ugly ass blurry crap with horrible blacks in comparison to the OLED. People with the OLED OG versions are going to have LCD Vita owners going "wow I want to get rid of my Vita 2000 now" after they compare screens lol.

Blech. I don't want a Vita yet but don't want to be stuck with a crap screen. Hopefully it sees some deep discounts.

This is a completely ignorant and misinformed post.

I own the 2000. The LCD screen is the polar opposite of "crap".

Haters need to get with it. The 2000 is superior.

I believe the plan is two skus. Vita 2000 = wifi and cheaper. Oled vita = 3g and same price as now.

It's been a while though. Maybe they scratched that.

Fuck the new Vita LCD, ugly ass blurry crap with horrible blacks in comparison to the OLED. People with the OLED OG versions are going to have LCD Vita owners going "wow I want to get rid of my Vita 2000 now" after they compare screens lol.

Have you actually held one in your hands and played the damn thing and seen the screen in motion for yourself?

People are being really, really stupid here. None of that "ugly ass blurry crap with horrible blacks" apply.

It's one of the best LCD screens I've ever seen. There's no ghosting, blur, or "horrible blacks" that you're speaking of.

For fuck sakes, people...do a SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON on these two before you pass judgement. Nothing you've seen on the internet does it justice.

Obviously, not everyone agrees. Crazy huh.

Obviously, people haven't made an INFORMED opinion on this, because clearly they haven't had the 2000 model in their hands. They look at very lousy pics or vids on the net that do absolutely nothing for the quality of the LCD screen, and haven't actually seen the two compared side by side.

Just saying.

Jawmuncher

I'll be sticking with my phat vita till the end of time.
Aside from "Dat OLED" I just prefer the heavier feel. It was the same case with the PSP iterations. Still prefer the original PSP style. Though those updates did carry with them better screens...well for the most part. (I remember the strawberry comparison pic but forgot what psps that referred to)

Obviously, people haven't made an INFORMED opinion on this, because clearly they haven't had the 2000 model in their hands. They look at very lousy pics or vids on the net that do absolutely nothing for the quality of the LCD screen, and haven't actually seen the two compared side by side.

Just saying.

I do not need to hold it in my hand. I prefer the fatter Vita, crazy huh? I also really do not like the look of the 'bezel' that is on the new Vita, crazy huh? That is an informed opinion. The decision is not merely about the quality of the screen.

Just saying.

Just saying

I've seen dozens of high quality displays which weren't supermarket quality $150 trash and OLED is superior to any of them.

B.O.O.M

I believe the plan is two skus. Vita 2000 = wifi and cheaper. Oled vita = 3g and same price as now.

Hope the cheaper version thing is true. Ideally they should announce some new games to get the hype rolling tho :S

I do not need to hold it in my hand. I prefer the fatter Vita, crazy huh? I also really do not like the look of the 'bezel' that is on the new Vita, crazy huh? That is an informed opinion. The decision is not merely about the quality of the screen.

"Crazy, huh" is adding nothing to this discussion. It's quite silly to me.

Your preference of the fatter Vita due to the weight and feel is totally reasonable. But to dismiss something outright just because of "dat OLED" is really played out at this point.

Holding the two in each hand, and comparing them directly, I think most people would be stunned at how much of an upgrade the new Vita is, in terms of form factor, battery life, and the lack of a "shitty LCD screen" (because, you know, it's a quality LCD screen that is absolutely fantastic...which isn't just an opinion, it's a fact...they happened to put a very high quality LCD screen in it. Crazy, huh?)

OLED will win out vs LCD every single time...but if the new Vita is a replacement for the original, and people will dismiss it because of "dat OLED"...then I fear for the Vita's chances.

But, you know, opinions being what they are...this is just mine. But, you know, mine is actually informed by the fact that I had hands-on time with both of them for comparison.

That does tend to make a difference, considering I was going to buy the OLED until I had a chance to compare the two. Crazy, huh?

dat OLED

Zhao_Yun

I have played on the the OLED Vita and on the LCD Vita for an extended time in an electronics store here in Tokyo and eventually opted for the OG Vita after thinking about it for weeks (yes, I am a very indicisive person) because I liked the overall feel and the screen better. Nevertheless people shouldn't worry too much about the LCD screen of the new Vita. Yes, it is inferior to the OLED Screen imo but also far from being a bad LCD Screen. Potential buyers who prefer a lighter model with longer battery life can do nothing wrong with a Vita-2000.

"Crazy, huh" is adding nothing to this discussion. It's quite silly to me.

Your preference of the fatter Vita due to the weight and feel is totally reasonable. But to dismiss something outright just because of "dat OLED" is really played out at this point.

Holding the two in each hand, and comparing them directly, I think most people would be stunned at how much of an upgrade the new Vita is, in terms of form factor, battery life, and the lack of a "shitty LCD screen" (because, you know, it's a quality LCD screen that is absolutely fantastic...which isn't just an opinion, it's a fact...they happened to put a very high quality LCD screen in it. Crazy, huh?)

OLED will win out vs LCD every single time...but if the new Vita is a replacement for the original, and people will dismiss it because of "dat OLED"...then I fear for the Vita's chances.

But, you know, opinions being what they are...this is just mine. But, you know, mine is actually informed by the fact that I had hands-on time with both of them for comparison.

That does tend to make a difference, considering I was going to buy the OLED until I had a chance to compare the two. Crazy, huh?

dat OLED

The crazy, huh was in direct relation with your opinion that you tried to pass off as fact. You know, the part where you said haters need to get with it the new Vita is just better.

You are acting like everyone is preferring the old Vita merely because of the screen, that simply isn't the truth. For me the new system looks like a cheap knock-off. I cannot get over how bad the non-flush screen looks. I mean, look at that crap; I'm supposed to stare at that screen in all of its non-flush hideousness?

I'm glad you like the new version, not everyone agrees.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can't believe we've known about the new PSVita model for so long and it's only just now about to go on sale

Anyway, still rocking my launch Vita

pukko

Neo Member

When following the Vita prices (mostly on amazon uk and in Sweden) during christmas until now, the 3G version has often been cheaper than the Wifi. So I got the impression that they were going to ditch the 3G. The 3G version is ~€20-30 cheaper than the Wifi right now in Sweden.

Ryuuga

Banned
I can live with the LCD over OLED. I preferred the PSP slim to the original clunky form factor and while I haven't spent as much time with the Vita I feel that will be the case here too.

~~Hasan~~

hmm.. maybe if i can get my hands on a free dead pixel vita slim with no light bleeding, i will consider selling my 3G oled for one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheaper than the current price of the wi-fi unit in the UK? Because you buy one new for less than £130...

What you *can* buy it for doesn't matter. It is being discounted because it doesn't sell well. Perhaps with some Sony support to shift stocks, don't know.

A new model will reset retail prices at least for a while, as retailers attempt to get some margin on a new item. If it doesn't sell well, it'll drop in price but not straight away.

We've seen this countless times before. Basically don't assume it'll be significantly cheaper - even if Sony drops the price they charge to retailers, that can be offset by the discounts retailers are giving on the OLED model so the end result that we see can even be a price increase

So is the announcement in under an hour? For the UK at least.

I think so. Should be 15 or so minutes now if I understood correctly. Is there anywhere I can go to follow the announcement live or will I just have to wait for the news stories? Can't seem to find anything, hype levels are low :(

Eusis

I wouldn't be surprised if that was more a clearance plan, that is they have 3G OLED Vitas to sell off still, while since 3G never took off seriously they don't bother with a 3G Vita 2000 SKU. And really, unless I can make that piggy back for free off of another 3G plan I'd rather not bother anyway.

Hasney

Hope they're announcing some games today. I can't imagine they think an event to promote a handheld barely anyone wants BUT SLIMMER is a good idea without other things to make the console worth releasing.

LAA

Hope they're announcing some games today. I can't imagine they think an event to promote a handheld barely anyone wants BUT SLIMMER is a good idea without other things to make the console worth releasing.

That'd be neat , but not so hopeful. Apparently PSBlog said not to expect software announcements... (Their secret plan to make any a surprise!) they were wrong about no game announcements at the US PS4 launch event anyway.

I'm wondering whether this will be a new new vita (doubt it), hope there'll be something new anyway... Seems a bit too much to for all this to just announce something we know about...

Should find out very soon anyway (8:56am where I am in the UK), I believe the event is from 9am-11am? though, so could be between those times?

stryke

Playstation Blog already said no new software announcements.

So people prefer this?

Okay then. To each his own.

I recall Sony saying no new software will be announced or not to expect any .

Top Bottom