• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PS Vita - Available for Pre-Order tomorrow

Bluforce

Just imported one for $110. Was waiting for a price drop / us release but decided to just pick it up.

Recently I bought a brand new PS Vita for my grandson in offer for 99 Euro, in bundle with the physical game MotoGP 13.

Those memory card prices are absurd.

Hasney

Playstation Blog already said no new software announcements.

Lol. If that's true and not doing what they said about the PS4 meeting, I wouldn't have bothered going to the event if I was the press.

I love the Vita, but surely no-one at Sony is thinking that all the UK market needs to get bought in is a re-designed machine and a rumoured RRP that's higher than most bundles you can find on the 1000?

Eusis

So people prefer this?

Okay then. To each his own.
That's the low point of OLEDs. When you have a fairly bright lit screen with a lot of details they can look way better. It's really more the pros of OLED generally outweigh the negatives to many people, and certainly that OLED's way nicer than the PSP and 3DS LCDs. I'm just not sure it's better than, say, the LCDs of even TN iOS displays, nevermind IPS ones. If I had to pick between iPhone 4 quality screens or Vita OLED I may pick iPhone 4 over the OLED.
My OLED screen looks nothing like that.
It's also zoomed in, that screen probably looks better from a distance as intended.

Hasney

£189?

I bought an OLED model with Tearaway, LBP, and a memory card for £159 just a couple of weeks ago. That wasn't a special price either.

Sigh, Sony. Sigh.

Yup, got the same deal with FIFA thrown in on Teraways release day. Some of these rumours must be off the mark, or Sony are really out of touch with the market Vita-wise.

LAA

Yup, got the same deal with FIFA thrown in on Teraways release day. Some of these rumours must be off the mark, or Sony are really out of touch with the market Vita-wise.

I think if everything was better on the new vita, they could get away with it, but with an inferior screen, just seems harder to justify to me personally. Usually right to expect newer versions to be more expensive, hell, I remember Game having a "deal" to trade your 3DS XL in and you get a 2DS for £9.99...a Despite the 2DS being inferior, just it was new and that was their justification. I would expect money BACK trading a 3DS XL.

Also my vita doesn't have any screen issues either. Just black splotches when the screen is all black, but I hear that's common/supposed to be like that for OLED. Isn't noticeable ingame.

cjp

My Vita has it too. Its very common. I tried 3 other Vitas from Amazon and they all had the problem so I stopped exchanging them. Its only really noticeable in brown/grayish scenes anyways.

Ah, ok. Thanks. Guess it's not worth the hassle then, especially as there's no guarantee that the replacement I get will be better.

For me the new system looks like a cheap knock-off. I cannot get over how bad the non-flush screen looks. I mean, look at that crap; I'm supposed to stare at that screen in all of its non-flush hideousness?

Wait a second, do you even know what "flush" means?

The screen IS flush with the system. It's not raised, and there's no "bezel". It's flush and even with the rest of the plastic.

Whatever dude. To you, it looks like a cheap knock-off. To a lot of other people in a different thread who own the 2000, it's fantastic in terms of build quality and shape/form factor. Opinions.

Skeff

Yeah, I think most places are treating this as a non-event and not bothering to liveblog or anything. Can't say I blame them if it is just the slim Vita.

Yea, just seems odd to have nothing, even the invitation article on ign hasn't been updated, if it was as simple as vita slim, surely we'd have a quick 'vita 2000 £price date tweet.

Hasney

Yea, just seems odd to have nothing, even the invitation article on ign hasn't been updated, if it was as simple as vita slim, surely we'd have a quick 'vita 2000 £price date tweet.

If it's just the PSV Slim though and it's a long-ish event, they're probably still getting through sales presentations. Wouldn't be shocked if some PS4 numbers are being regurgitated again right now.

xBuTcHeRx

I got the PS VITA 2000 on craigslist in LIKE NEW condition for $110, what a generous guy. In any case, I am in love with the new Vita, I cannot hold the old vita and find it comfortable to use extensively or even use it entirely anymore. I just love how comfy and how much more grip I get with the new vita, my fingers rest on a more circular back than the old small oval shaped. I can see why people find the screen to be crappy, but for that minor sacrifice for a more lightweight and sexier device I could care less for that and just love using it!

SIDE NOTE!: My prediction for tomorrow's new Vita announcement will be this: The devices price point will be between either $180-$199. And will be available EU and NA February 22, why? That is the 3rd year anniversay of the PS VITA's release date, AND it is also the day JP gets the PS4. It makes so much sense to me.

ramyeon

The screen IS flush with the system. It's not raised, and there's no "bezel". It's flush and even with the rest of the plastic.

Whatever dude. To you, it looks like a cheap knock-off. To a lot of other people in a different thread who own the 2000, it's fantastic in terms of build quality and shape/form factor. Opinions.
Yep, opinions. The same way people can prefer the 1000 without them being misguided or misinformed ;)

No colours available, no OLED and more expensive than what I paid for my 1000 means it's definitely a no-go for me. I was half considering grabbing the Lime Green one as a backup device and to use American or Japanese PSN on but this is a deal breaker.

Hasney

SIDE NOTE!: My prediction for tomorrow's new Vita announcement will be this: The devices price point will be between either $180-$199. And will be available EU and NA February 22, why? That is the 3rd year anniversay of the PS VITA's release date, AND it is also the day JP gets the PS4. It makes so much sense to me.

The EU announcement is going on as we speak.

Yep, opinions. The same way people can prefer the 1000 without them being misguided or misinformed ;)

No colours available, no OLED and more expensive than what I paid for my 1000 means it's definitely a no-go for me. I was half considering grabbing the Lime Green one as a backup device and to use American or Japanese PSN on but this is a deal breaker.

They're not offering the different colours?

Yeah, that would be a big deal. I've got the Khaki/Black and I can't imagine not having the option for it. So slick looking.

A solid black Vita 2000 definitely isn't as appealing.

Ark

I can't believe we're 40 minutes into an event and there isn't a single piece of news at all. I was hoping we'd get something before I have to leave for work.

Skeff

If it's just the PSV Slim though and it's a long-ish event, they're probably still getting through sales presentations. Wouldn't be shocked if some PS4 numbers are being regurgitated again right now.

Definitely likely, though you'd think ps4 numbers would be tweeted, surely something, it's the complete lack I find odd.

So explain the difference in the screen, what would you prefer to call it? Because it looks pretty damned different than the original Vita. I'm looking at my Vita right now and it doesn't have that edged looked around the screen.

I know right...

This is a completely ignorant and misinformed post.

I own the 2000. The LCD screen is the polar opposite of "crap".

Haters need to get with it. The 2000 is superior.

Hasney

Just searched Twitter for Sony Slim and there really is nothing bar some German guy bitching about the rumoured price.

ramyeon

They're not offering the different colours?

Yeah, that would be a big deal. I've got the Khaki/Black and I can't imagine not having the option for it. So slick looking.

A solid black Vita 2000 definitely isn't as appealing.
Yeah, rumour mill is saying there will probably only be black available, at least on launch. It wouldn't surprise me if it stayed that way though. Coming from the 3DS where Japan gets all those cool colours that never make it anywhere else. I can see maybe the White one coming out as well though.

Hasney

Us westerners don't like colour and love our drab, black and white existence.

Also, I found something from the CVG Twitter, so it is actually happening and not be cancelled on the sly.

BfN_DPvIEAAahwf.jpg

SALES GRAPHS!!!!!!!111!one!!

dock

If I ever buy a Vita, it'll be the 2000.

I hope it's coming to the UK, but it'll be a great shame if they cut off the legs with a ridiculous price.

Rambone

I wish there would be some Vita TV news somewhere in all this. I'm super anxious for any news about a NA release. I do not want a regular Vita as I dislike handhelds and Vita TV really appeals to me.

So explain the difference in the screen, what would you prefer to call it? Because it looks pretty damned different than the original Vita. I'm looking at my Vita right now and it doesn't have that edged looked around the screen.

The LCD screen has an outline to it, but it's not raised above the plastic body. It's flush and even with the rest of the plastic.

I don't know how else to describe it.

And for my money, and my personal preference, yes, the Vita 2000 is superior. And a lot of haters were converts in the other thread I was talking about.

Generally, the people who have seen/had both tend to side with the 2000. Not everyone, but a lot more than you'd think.

But whatever, cheap knock-off, garbage screen, etc. Opinions. To you, I paid for a cheap looking/feeling downgrade. To me, it's nothing of the sort.

Skeff

Us westerners don't like colour and love our drab, black and white existence.

Also, I found something from the CVG Twitter, so it is actually happening and not be cancelled on the sly.

BfN_DPvIEAAahwf.jpg

SALES GRAPHS!!!!!!!111!one!!

Graphs now we're talking.

Disgunbegood.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
It's not too late for Sony to announce their Quality of Life strategy with a focus on keeping people slim.

LAA

Neat starting/started.

I don't think the 2000 looks "cheap" really. Just... I feel I'm getting an inferior product in terms of the screen. Everything which is better really just simply benefits me using it on the go, which I don't really. Very rarely. We'll see what happens anyway...

baekshi

Banned
The LCD screen has an outline to it, but it's not raised above the plastic body. It's flush and even with the rest of the plastic.

I don't know how else to describe it.

And for my money, and my personal preference, yes, the Vita 2000 is superior. And a lot of haters were converts in the other thread I was talking about.

Generally, the people who have seen/had both tend to side with the 2000. Not everyone, but a lot more than you'd think.

But whatever, cheap knock-off, garbage screen, etc. Opinions. To you, I paid for a cheap looking/feeling downgrade. To me, it's nothing of the sort.

My 3DS must be a cheap knock off, garbage screen.

Hasney

Neat starting/started.

I don't think the 2000 looks "cheap" really. Just... I feel I'm getting an inferior product in terms of the screen. Everything which is better really just simply benefits me using it on the go, which I don't really. Very rarely. We'll see what happens anyway...

I know what you mean. My first concern when picking a phone is always the screen before factoring other things. On a handheld, it's the most important thing for me so if a revision comes out with a screen I don't like as much, I'm not exactly going to be hyped.

killercow

Joe Anderson @_wotta

"I’ve also heard the price, hope it’s wrong hehe"

Joe Anderson @_wotta

"I’ve heard that the Ps Vita slim is only coming in Black in the UK. We’ll find out soon enough."

killercow

thesixthaxis ‏@thesixthaxis

"Announcing a new Indie Games Mega-Pack for £20, including 10 titles and a 4GB memory card."

Top Bottom