• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

YaBish

Fucking hell, $100 for a 4xLP with no tracklist or cover art??

What a fucking joke. Only Iam8bit knows how to turn me off of the one record that I was looking forward to the most.

akileese

I like the email subject line: "We're Doing Something a Little Different for This Release..."

No, you're actually kinda doing the same thing you've done previously: Overcharge and preorder. I guess you can say the difference is that you're giving even less details upfront and an even bigger price tag?

I wish people wouldn't preorder this, it's absolute garbage. And I wish other retailers would call out iam8bit's shitty practices too. Data Discs, ShiptoShore and Mondo have all treated me extremely well.

Actually, admitting they're essentially kickstarting the release is really new for them. Usually they'd announce it a quarter away then delay it 6 months.

What I don't understand is, why even have the option to preorder something that you know is months and months away? Why not just keep everything hush hush, and start shipping very soon after people preorder?

The whole 'take you along with the process' thing comes across as tonedeaf to me. That's not what people want from you, iam8bit. Almost like they thought it could be a distraction or something.

megalowho

Just catching up and wow, that pricing made me gag. No tracklist, no artwork, but pay us now for a likely 2018 release - fuuuck that. Why does iam8bit make vgm vinyl feel like a scam instead of celebratory.

-Mikey-

Have any of you campaigned for best ost of 2012 to finally hit vinyl? I'm asking any and all folks that have sway in the industry to grab exclusive soundtracks to gun for Max Payne 3. I revisited the game today and realized that now is the time for this to be released.

Please?

hawk2025

Well, the $175 version sold out.

So fuck us, I suppose.

This is a new low. And they have the gall to market it as something other than what it really is: selling the fucking thing as soon as the ink is dry, without figuring out the mixing, mastering, art, or anything else about it.

Still shows for me on the UK-store.

Got in at the 6xLP version.

Feels weird to do it (again) but as with Rez it's more to support the creators as well, the product is a nice bonus. Can totally understand all the backlash though, because this is some serious markup. Can see Atlus being behind that too, not just iam8bit.
Only for the superfans or people with disposable income.

Having bought several products from iam8bit I hope this project is done without too many last minute delays, although I remain sceptical for now. My No Man Sky ship from the ltd edition just arrived this February.

Hope Meguro and the sound team get a good cut as well from this project.

Seriously depressing how many people WILL be suckered into either of the P5 releases. iam8bit's business practices are absolutely garbage and I hate having to buy anything from them. Thank the heaven's I've interest in the P5 soundtrack, feel like I've really dodged a bullet.

LiK

So fuck us, I suppose.

This is a new low. And they have the gall to market it as something other than what it really is: selling the fucking thing as soon as the ink is dry, without figuring out the mixing, mastering, art, or anything else about it.

Hope the buyers enjoy the multiple delay emails. Def not worth that much to me. Nothing remarkable about the release in their product page. I'm happy with the CD/iTunes versions.

Shaneus

I never actually worked at iam8bit. People started complaining to them on Twitter about how they get really behind schedule and they said it wouldn't be a problem in 2018 anymore because they got rid of their bad employee. I'll see if I can find the tweets

edit:
So weird seeing my name pop up there.

Shaneus

Oh, neat. Like how y'all missed the error on Undertale?

Test presses that... don't even go out to the original artist/composer of the music? Cool!

'cause there aren't any YouTube videos available today to see this process in its entirety. But "fans" of iam8bit will be able to see it now
for a price!

Oh, like how none of the iam8bit records I have (sigh... too many of them...) fit properly into their gatefold sleeves? Awesome!

F3Y3BbL.png

LOL, right.
394.jpg

None of this was really unexpected, but it's still a bummer.

I guess it's for the best that P5 didn't click with me nearly as much as hoped; were this a P3/P4 set it'd almost certainly cave and buy it.

gsrjedi

As someone new to this whole thing, is there a list of sites to check out? I browsed the last couple pages and noticed iam8bit and Mondo, but am interested to see who else sells game soundtrack vinyls.

rpbtz

As someone new to this whole thing, is there a list of sites to check out? I browsed the last couple pages and noticed iam8bit and Mondo, but am interested to see who else sells game soundtrack vinyls.

Shameless self-promotion here: https://blipblop.net/current-vgm-labels/

I compiled a list of labels who regularly (and occassionally) release game music on vinyl with links and all. I see I haven't added The Yetee to the list yet, so you can check them out as well.

Data discs does Sega releases and are a Europe based company (release on Mondo in the US along with some other stores like light in the attic), Brave Wave not sure where they are based (recent releases also on Mondo), ShipToShore is a US company that does a bunch of different releases including some video games like Mother and Snatcher, and Spacelab have done a big mix of games including Ubisoft releases (they seem to be pretty easy to find in store for the most part).

Their pre-order refund policy is particularly egregious when you don't even know the damn tracklist of the thing you're preordering. What if they announce the list more than two weeks after you preorder it and you find that your favorite track isn't on it?

JEKKI

Was there ever any doubt? 1000 Persona fans in the world gotta have that cash.
it took forever tho, compared to getting myself up at 6:30am yesterday to buy a physical copy of Darius which sold out thousands in minutes.

hellz no there are more Darius fans than Persona...

I love persona, but that price doesnt justify the music, I love listening to vinyl, but the experience to cost value says I should just buy on itunes...

unless the tracklist finally does come out and I feel OK picking up the standard version when it's released >_<

RaidenZR

Hah darn no Shenmue. It's the only one I didn't grab, and now the completionist in me is like "Whyyyyyyy"

Hey OnPoint, I checked the local shop I mentioned today and no luck. My guess is that it sold as collateral damage from Record Store Day last weekend, because I had seen it there a few days before that. Sorry I couldn't be the hero this time but maybe Dan-O can still help ya out!

Edit:
Data Discs just tweeted that they'll have a box of black vinyl Shenmue (+ SoR2) ready for the sale tomorrow as well.

Oh snap, nevermind! Sounds like you might get another chance, OnPoint!

gsrjedi

Shameless self-promotion here: https://blipblop.net/current-vgm-labels/

I compiled a list of labels who regularly (and occassionally) release game music on vinyl with links and all. I see I haven't added The Yetee to the list yet, so you can check them out as well.

Data discs does Sega releases and are a Europe based company (release on Mondo in the US along with some other stores like light in the attic), Brave Wave not sure where they are based (recent releases also on Mondo), ShipToShore is a US company that does a bunch of different releases including some video games like Mother and Snatcher, and Spacelab have done a big mix of games including Ubisoft releases (they seem to be pretty easy to find in store for the most part).

Thanks for the info

The (sort of) good thing about iam8bit is that they generally don't pursue stuff that I care about.

That said, I'm almost tempted to sell what I do have of theirs (Bit Trip and Hotline Miami 2) to completely wash my hands of their stink.

it took forever tho, compared to getting myself up at 6:30am yesterday to buy a physical copy of Darius which sold out thousands in minutes.

hellz no there are more Darius fans than Persona...

I love persona, but that price doesnt justify the music, I love listening to vinyl, but the experience to cost value says I should just buy on itunes...

unless the tracklist finally does come out and I feel OK picking up the standard version when it's released >_<

How long is 'forever'? I checked within an hour or so and the US 6 set was showing sold for me (I didn't check the other sites) :/ I haven't been this bummed about missing something shiny in, well... ever. :(

OnPoint

Hey OnPoint, I checked the local shop I mentioned today and no luck. My guess is that it sold as collateral damage from Record Store Day last weekend, because I had seen it there a few days before that. Sorry I couldn't be the hero this time but maybe Dan-O can still help ya out!

Edit:

Oh snap, nevermind! Sounds like you might get another chance, OnPoint!
Thanks for looking! Hopefully I can do it tmw.

Shaneus

The (sort of) good thing about iam8bit is that they generally don't pursue stuff that I care about.

That said, I'm almost tempted to sell what I do have of theirs (Bit Trip and Hotline Miami 2) to completely wash my hands of their stink.
Good man. I'm the same, there's really nothing they've released that's in my wheelhouse either. Rez was the closest, but I realise the only thing I wanted on that was the in-game version of Fear (which never appeared anyway, not that anyone knew until after the thing started shipping, with the tracklisting never officially coming out).

What I'm into is basically things from the FM synth era and basically anything Sega, so I'd like to think I'm pretty well covered by Data Discs. Shame that if you like music of any new game your options are super limited.

People, if they can, should just wait as long as some people have had to wait for buying classic 80s games releases on vinyl, then they won't have to spend stupid amounts. I can't see the LE P5 holding it's value in 20 (or even 10, or 5!) years when it appears on Discogs.

Glassboy

I'll take the hotline Miami 2 if you are looking to get rid of it.

ErichWK

That Guilty Gear live album sounds pretty bad. The original mix is a little muddy to begin with, but i don't think they actually mastered it for vinyl. Most of the music is incomprehensible. Shame

I never opened it, so I dunno if you're willing to pay anywheres close to what I can get for it (even assuming a friendly/GAF discount).

Lol, if it were any other 1st press of mine I'd probably regret opening it, but I love it too much to not actually play it when I can <3 iam8bit still has a little good faith from me for that soundtrack alone!

jarosh

Hey guys, can someone recommend a ~$200 turntable with pre-amp (USB not strictly necessary)? The recommendations in the op are a couple years old already... I need an entry/midrange alternative to my Technics, so I can listen to test pressings on something that is more realistically what people use these days ;) I do have an old super low-rent AIWA player, but it's not ideal.

rpbtz

Hey guys, can someone recommend a ~$200 turntable with pre-amp (USB not strictly necessary)? The recommendations in the op are a couple years old already... I need an entry/midrange alternative to my Technics, so I can listen to test pressings on something that is more realistically what people use these days ;) I do have an old super low-rent AIWA player, but it's not ideal.

You can look into some of these:

Music Hall USB-1 ($200)

Fluance RT80 ($200)

U-Turn Orbit Custom ($250 w/ preamp)

You could probably get better value for money by purchasing a vintage table and buying a separate preamp, though. EDIT: I missed the line about 'realistically using', so disregard the vintage table comment :)

jarosh

You could probably get better value for money by purchasing a vintage table and buying a separate preamp, though.

I already have that ;) This is strictly for me to have something that is closer to what the typical casual modern vinyl collector uses. Some test pressings have issues that are not apparent on relatively high end (vintage) tables.

But thanks for the recs! What about Lenco? Any experiences with their tables?

edit: no one sells Fluance or Music Hall in Switzerland it seems :/

rpbtz

I already have that ;) This is strictly for me to have something that is closer to what the typical casual modern vinyl collector uses. Some test pressings have issues that are not apparent on relatively high end (vintage) tables.

But thanks for the recs! What about Lenco? Any experiences with their tables?

edit: no one sells Fluance or Music Hall in Switzerland it seems :/

Ah, based in Europe, then yeah, the selection is a bit different. I'm so used to everyone being in the US that I default to those tables even though I'm in Europe myself.

I've heard decent things about the Lenco L-90, but haven't seen it in action. The Denon DP300F should also be nice and available in Europe (probably the only decent fully automatic in this price range). Alternatively the new Pro-Ject Primary should be a very nice entry-level table, but I think it's closer to $300.

jarosh

Ah, based in Europe, then yeah, the selection is a bit different. I'm so used to everyone being in the US that I default to those tables even though I'm in Europe myself.

I've heard decent things about the Lenco L-90, but haven't seen it in action. The Denon DP300F should also be nice and available in Europe (probably the only decent fully automatic in this price range). Alternatively the new Pro-Ject Primary should be a very nice entry-level table, but I think it's closer to $300.

Ah I wish it was as simple as Europe, haha. We're not in the EU, so importing anything more expensive than ~70 Euros is... very costly. I CAN get the Lenco L-90 or the Denon though. Also the Audio Technica LP120, which seems to be the only one with a direct drive too. Kinda surprised that pretty much everything else is belt drive.

rpbtz

Ah I wish it was as simple as Europe, haha. We're not in the EU, so importing anything more expensive than ~70 Euros is... very costly. I CAN get the Lenco L-90 or the Denon though. Also the Audio Technica LP120, which seems to be the only one with a direct drive too. Kinda surprised that pretty much everything else is belt drive.

If the goal is to get a table that reflects what most people are using, then the LP120 would be a good choice as it's VERY popular. The built-in preamp is a tad underwhelming, though.

Spwn

Has there been any talk about Cosmic Star Heroine getting a vinyl release? Been playing the game and the soundtrack is pretty good.

Top Bottom