• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male Stars Are Too Buff Now

Kite

Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.
Shaolin-_Monks-_Training-_Tomasz-_Gudzowaty-0004.jpg

Sorry man, but he does not pass the smell test.

It's awful. Everyone in Hollywood looks like a science experiment now. I love watching older movies, where people actually look like people.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Literally impossible to look that cut all the time, but it's become some warped idea of what a healthy body is.

Ive seen many a people comment that a body like this is "nothing special". A natural, healthy in shape body is nothing special apparently.

It is nothing special. Go to any beach on a warm weather Saturday and you'll see a ton of men who look like that or better. It isn't rare. Hell, 6 pack abs isn't rare in the 18 - 30 year old bracket.

If you take a look at The Temple of Doom Harrison is almost twice the size that he is in Raiders and he was my about my age (42)

XenodudeX

It did for me

I was a 120 lbs throughout high school. Because of this, I had zero luck with the ladies, and had negative self image issues through school.

When Evans and Hemsworth showed off their physiques in Cap and Thor, when I was a senior, it inspired me to get into the gym and make a positive change in my life.

I'm still ways off from my idols like Cavill, Evans, and Jackman, but it's because of their insane physiques that I got off my ass and worked for something. Looking exactly like those dudes on screen is perhaps impossible, but to get close is certainly achievable.

If you don't like going to the gym, that's cool, I understand completely, but that's on you.

And that's not targeted at you, Bobby Roberts, but at the article in general. It's god damn ridiculous.
No offense, but reason you had zero luck with the ladies is because you had no confidence in yourself, not because you were 120lbs.

You look great now though, so good job.

How long would it take to build a okay-ish body if you start out with nothing? Like I'm probably going to be 125-130lbs at 5'9'' with no muscle when I'm done dieting. Would B&Cing with 400mg tren and 200mg test for a year at a small surplus do it?

Why would you do Test and tren if you are starting out with nothing? Are you in a hurry and getting paid for it? If not, just stick to lifting heavy and eating clean for the next several years

It did for me

And congrats to you.

I believe most people don't even attempt it precisely because it's very well known those results are more often than not only attainable via a cocktail of drugs, some fucking ridiculous dietary needs, and the sort of time (and budget for a trainer) that people simply don't have.

So that's why I said "it doesn't." Obviously that's a generalization, and a pretty broad one. But I think a lot of people basically realize they're not going to look like that unless they can buy that look, and people more often than not can't buy that look. Eating right costs money, unfortunately. It probably shouldn't, but it does. So people look at those results and just kinda go "welp."

If that look can inspire people to reach for a body type that is healthier, more attainable, and (most importantly) one that fits the person trying to get in shape, and makes them feel better about themselves, that's all good!

But I don't think a lot of people are looking at Zac Efron in Baywatch and doing much of anything but "Jesus Christ that's fucking unnerving."

Again: Congrats on achieving those goals, and continuing to work. That shit is impressive, and if you're proud of yourself, that pride is well-earned.

But I think the article, and the conversation springing from it, is basically a means to investigate further (as has been done for awhile now) how our media presents (largely) unattainable images to us as ideals, and how those ideals sour from aspirations to punishments.

I've never lived in a time where women haven't had to live with this horseshit hanging over them, and I'm pretty sure my mother and my sisters could easily say the same, and their mothers and sisters would if they were still here.

It's not wrong to want a great body, a great physique, to feel comfortable at the notion of taking your shirt off at the beach, to do something to combat the notion of shame at taking that shirt off. There is nothing at all wrong with that.

But there might be something a little skewed in suggesting it should be the norm for actors to present themselves as aspirational figures by pouring tens of thousands of dollars into a physical regimen that has them adhering to a physical ideal that people had to literally draw into existence in the pages of a comic book because human bodies normally don't fuckin' work like that.

How long would it take to build a okay-ish body if you start out with nothing? Like I'm probably going to be 125-130lbs at 5'9'' with no muscle when I'm done dieting. Would B&Cing with 400mg tren and 200mg test for a year at a small surplus do it?

Jeez, you're going straight into roids right off the bat.

You can get big or defined going natty. Granted, you will not be as big or as defined as someone taking test/tren but you'll have a body that is decent enough to show off.

It's just going to take you a little longer.

ldar247

Banned
Why would you do Test and tren if you are starting out with nothing? Are you in a hurry and getting paid for it? If not, just stick to lifting heavy and eating clean for the next several years

My youth is slipping away fast and I'm still a dateless, kissless, handholdless virgin. Time is something I don't have.

I find it somewhat inspirational in a way that more and more stars are fit. With Chris Evans who is actually a GMO in Captain America, first of all it fits the part. Next, the actors are mirroring the push towards healthy lifestyles in general society (albeit pushed to physical extremes). I don't blame Hollywood for going bigger, and I don't blame bodybuilders for going bigger. If there's enough backlash then movies will adjust, but it's just eye candy.

The unrealistic expectations and insecurity thing is undeniably a terrible consequence and can't be spun otherwise.Wasn't the focus historically on woman's proportions in media? I guess it's the men's time to feel the heat.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Why all that stuff instead of you know, just lifting weights and eating clean? You don't have to hit the roids, especially not when you're coming from nothing like you say.

Damn son. Leave that stuff once you know what the fuck you're doing. A physique isn't going to fix all your problems.

Eh. I've known karate guys who kick ass while being absurdly skinny. But I guess reality is unrealistic and people won't find a martial artist believable unless he's buff like a superhero or something :p

It's the lore behind the role and the fact that there's already a visual representation of Danny. He didn't just train rigorously for years, he also fought seriously which would warrant at least a wee bit more than your average martial artist.

rtcn63

It did for me

I was a 120 lbs throughout high school. Because of this, I had zero luck with the ladies, and had negative self image issues through school.

When Evans and Hemsworth showed off their physiques in Cap and Thor, when I was a senior, it inspired me to get into the gym and make a positive change in my life.

People who are/were never ugly (in the sense that they have damn near every genetic aspect working against them in the social/evolutionary/whatever) don't grasp how well, shallow people (men and women) can be. When you're genuinely unattractive, cruelty is often the norm regardless of the lies you tell yourself.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I get superheroes being buff, but...

In the only instance of an effective trickle-down economy, muscles today are ubiquitous to the point of pointlessness: Why does Ben Stiller have abs? Does Kevin Hart need to be so jacked? Does the depressed, alcoholic small-town police chief on The Leftovers need an eight-pack?

Pretty much. No one says Kristen Stewart needs to hit the gym and get a bubble-booty. It's funny watching a movie or TV show and you can tell that the guys have all starved themselved, tanned, done a hundred pushups right before the shot, and are actively flexing while nonchalantly changing their shirt.

By-and-large, the hyper-attention paid to physique you see on say, instagram, for female models isn't something you see with actresses, but actors are going for that male instagram model aesthetic.

IYA2t.jpg

q51u56X.png
And that is from American Hustle (2013)

Hollywood be a demanding job, you do it once and now that means its expected all the time.

Bale finally said enough is enough.

Christian Bale abandons Enzo Ferrari biopic over weight gain fears

Christian Bale has left the role of iconic car maker Enzo Ferrari in a highly anticipated biopic from director Michael Mann, citing an unwillingness to put on weight, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Bale, who is well-known for both shedding and gaining pounds in the name of his art, is reportedly concerned that losing too much weight over a short period – Mann’s film is due to shoot in the spring – might be damaging for his health. Producers now hope to recast the part as quickly as possible so as to avoid delays.

My youth is slipping away fast and I'm still a dateless, kissless, handholdless virgin. Time is something I don't have.

go to fitgat, follow the main advice, which wil be some variant of good form, lift heavy and eat like a motherfucker. You'll be quite different in six months, even natty, if you do that.

but really, there will be a lot of eating involved.

Serious question, is HGH safe to use?

depends on the quantity.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

The biggest reason for looking fit is low bodyfat. Just by building a good base of muscle and sitting at 11-15% bodyfat will put you in a good place. Going natty and six month to a year of dieting is more than enough to reach a good physique assuming youre not trying to shave from 30%+ bodyfat.

Astral

Nah, It's crazy to think how lazy movie stars used to be with their physique. I think i look better than nearly any supposed "action star" from the 50s-70s just by casually working out every day, but Arnold changed the game and gave us higher ideals to strive for and we're all better off for it.

This was "fit and sexy" before? Hard to imagine...
604cd50c33b2d1e0ff3eb0f669ae473d.jpg

Call me crazy, but I don't think this looks good at all. It's not bad, it's clearly healthy I guess. It just looks super average.

Instagram has totally had an impact on looks and body standards. I'd argue social media in general has led to way more crossfit and barre gyms opening than ever before.

Also, it's a really, really fucking weird notion that people keep bringing up very matter of factly that these men need to look like comic book representations of men.

Like, superheroes in comic books aren't real. They're not real people. People are congratulating actors for managing to somewhat-successfully replicate completely fictional physiques that had to be drawn into reality, like I've said previously, and acting as if that was a legitimate responsibility they needed to fulfill.

It's strange how people are treating illustrations as not just a standard, but the standard. Like Neal Adams' representation of Batman (which is one of the more realistic depictions of the character's build) was real.

These aren't historical figures. They're fucking comics.

Sianos

The struggle of being on a team for a sport with weight divisions.

At least I'm starving myself slightly less now because of how toxic my long-term low calorie diet was for my health was relative to my workouts. I should probably switch to trying to actually build some bulk even if it means being less competitive before I end up debilitating myself...

One thing about the mention of Kevin Hart, he does it for fitness and health. He's not getting shirtless or seen as an alpha male in his movies. It's like when that photo of J.K. Simmons made the rounds,

Everyone acted like he got buff to play Jim Gordon. But he came out and explained he worked out because he wanted to. Personally I also find something cathartic about going to the gym.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Also, it's a really, really fucking weird notion that people keep bringing up very matter of factly that these men need to look like comic book representations of men.

Like, superheroes in comic books aren't real. They're not real people. People are congratulating actors for managing to somewhat-successfully replicate completely fictional physiques that had to be drawn into reality, like I've said previously, and acting as if that was a legitimate responsibility they needed to fulfill.

It's strange how people are treating illustrations as not just a standard, but the standard. Like Neal Adams' representation of Batman (which is one of the more realistic depictions of the character's build) was real.

You telling me I can't get like this with some good dieting and supplements?

Liefeldcaptainamerica.jpg

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Zac efron just pushes it too much.

jwMYPMk.jpg

That's not just a trained dude, that's someone who's part of a bodybuilder contest and spend the last few hours dehydrating himself

lmfao at people calling this "unrealistic" and "disgusting".

Fuckin' please

Really, really fucking weird? If I've been brainwashed please help me, but movies are generally expected to reflect their source material. Looking the part is a prerequisite for an actor and helps fulfill the directors vision. I think you're saying that there doesn't need to be 1:1 authenticity in bodies which are clearly drawn and meant to be supernatural. I agree, but if Chris Evans puts in the work to match up to a seemingly unattainable look, of course I'm congratulating him.

Jinder Mahal is crazy because the guy went from some flab on him to being overly jacked and cut with veins and backacne in about six months or less.

AND IT WORKED FOR HIM!

rtcn63

Most women prefer leaner (taller) men, but there's an argument that the minority that like buffed action bros have less of a pool of the latter to work with. Meaning less competition for the Thors of the world. Brad Pitt from Fight Club is still probably the guy who steals your girl:

brad-pitt-fight-club.jpg

You telling me I can't get like this with some good dieting and supplements?

Much respect to Evans for putting in the work to live up to his responsibility to all those Cap fans everywhere

xlarge.jpg

Really, really fucking weird? If I've been brainwashed please help me, but movies are generally expected to reflect their source material. Looking the part is a prerequisite for an actor and helps fulfill the directors vision. I think you're saying that there doesn't need to be 1:1 authenticity in bodies which are clearly drawn and meant to be supernatural. I agree, but if Chris Evans puts in the work to match up to a seemingly unattainable look, of course I'm congratulating him.

Hah, shit, I didn't even see that before I wrote the above.

Looking the part is fine. But yes, it's weird that people are holding up completely fictional representations of men's physiques as created by men who are breaking the rules of physics on the regular to illustrate their (usually badly written stories) as not just attainable ideals, but standard for real life human beings to hit in movies.

Again: choosing as a standard a physical ideal that has to be drawn into existence seems fucking weird to me. Like, posting pictures of strongmen/bodybuilders makes sense. That's a real person. A real historical figure.

An Ed McGuinness drawing of Superman?

What?

People are acting like these comics are historical documents and not made-up bullshit.

Desperado

It's amazing how men can buy into unrealistic beauty standards being a good thing ("inspirational!" "motivating!") for the population as a whole after an eternity of unrealistic beauty standards for women proving to be incredibly harmful.

(Please note that I said "for the population as a whole" and not "for you personally.")

Makes me think of what the first shots of Iron Fist came out, and everyone was shitting on Finn Jones for not being up to standards.

NW0YLke.jpg

Like, seriously? Dude looks better than 98% of men on the planet. You're complaining he's not at 99%? I don't get it.
Lol I look better than that and I'm a skinny scrub

rokkerkory

How about just fit the role? If you're playing a super hero you likely should be buff right.

I like Pitt's bod in Trojan the most:

brad-pitt-troy.gif

I think you should just look the part.

If you're an otherworldly superhero, then it makes sense to be unreasonably jacked lol.

You don't have to be, but it makes it more believable.

Overall though, I really liked how Keanu Reeves looked in that movie Speed.

It doesn't.

I'd argue it's even worse than the has to be skinny like a model girls go through, because it's basically jamming your body full of drugs to build muscle, ignore the body warnings through drug use, altering your hormones, etc. If The Rock has any balls left, I'd be surprised.

Your balls grow back to their original size; after your steroid cycle - you do a PCT.

Top Bottom