• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

DBT85

Well usually they're the 'same' so I'd expect $300. Obviously this means us in the UK are effectively paying more.

Although the PS3 didn't work this way so who knows.

They are rarely the same. Eur0 = Dollar, but Pound is always less.

If this is true and it is £300 then I wouldn't be surprised to see $350euro.

More likely is about £330 and $399euro in my view.

Pitmonkey

That's... a little high. I'm more interested in how hard Microsoft will end up pushing a finance plan right out the gate. Offering a brand new Nextbox for "$299.99" (even though it's clearly not) would do wonders for marketing.

Galang

Banned
Wait, if it's $399 US I think it's an amazing price honestly. Especially when compared to the PS3 launch. If it's 450 then not bad either.

Amir0x

Banned
The WiiU is $350...you're gonna be really disappointed if you think it will be cheaper than $399

I wasn't. I was expected $399.99, because I felt this gen would have taught them the lesson that nobody wants to buy a system priced higher.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
With the WiiU "premium" currently at £300, this would be absolutely hilarious.

Loudninja

I don't think anyone at The Times has seen anything about British pricing.

I think what they might have seen is things that others have seen - like the Japanese press reporting a price tag 'over 40,000 yen'.

That would be somewhere around £300.

It would more likely cost more than that in the UK if it winds up being >=40,000 yen, but they've just done a straight conversion in this report.
I am not sure,since they mention leaked internal documents as well.

Not sure what those are.

Phenomic

Don't companies in the industry generally not do the exchange rate conversion when pricing consoles like this?

If it's 300 Euros it wouldn't it just be 300 dollars even if the dollar is low in value?

That being said if they got the price point that low it would be crazy and depending on what Microsoft does I think they could easily win the generation with a buy in that strategically valued.

Floex

Well usually they're the 'same' so I'd expect $300. Obviously this means us in the UK are effectively paying more.

So you think the PS4 is going to be around £195 equivalent? Keep on dreaming

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Oh, and if they do announce at £299, Wii U is dead in the water. not floundering or at risk, but dead, at least in the UK.

Jezbollah

That's... a little high. I'm more interested in how hard Microsoft will end up pushing a finance plan right out the gate. Offering a brand new Nextbox for "$299.99" (even though it's clearly not) would do wonders for marketing.

Remember, it's the same price that Microsoft launched the 360 at.

I think $300 would be irresistible for way too many people at launch, and I doubt Sony could meet the demand early on. So they'd be losing potential profit.

I could see them lowering the price to that point further down the line when the supply chain is saturated. Sort of like what Nintendo did with the 3DS.

onQ123

That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

?? The Wii U is freaking $349 & you think $399 is too much for the PS4?

Amir0x

Banned
?? The Wii U is freaking $349 & you think $399 is too much for the PS4?

Yes. The Wii U is dramatically overpriced, because Nintendo, and it also has a pad controller that apparently costs a lot of money, something that PS3 doesn't have in favor of stronger hardware.

Just because you think one price is too much doesn't mean you don't think the other is too much as well.

Edit: Oops, I don't think $400 is too much. I think any MORE than that is too much.

£300 sounds far too optimistic. Megaton if true though, Nintendo would have to cut the WiiU price massively.

$449.99 is too optimistic? Megaton? God help us all.

jackie-chan-meme.png

Ridley327

$400 was my expectation based on everything we know, so that would suit me just fine. I don't think that Sony will be met with as much hostility at that price point as they were with the PS3, provided that they knock the reveal out of the park on Wednesday.

Kysen

Just for reference a WiiU is £299 on amazon.co.uk now. If PS4 comes in around the £300 mark WiiU is done(premium).

Mileena

Banned
If its $400 Nintendo needs to drop their price. Who the hell would pay $350 for a Wii U when $50 more gets you into next gen? $400 is definitely a great price if this system really is that powerful.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.
The fuck did you expect it to cost?

Withnail

I'm expecting it to be somewhere in the range £300-350.

It will definitely be a good deal cheaper than the PS3 was. Though it's hard to predict pricing when there's likely to be multiple SKUs.

FDC1

No, parity is between euro & dollar. around 300£ => around 350 $ and euros

I expect 329£, 399$, 399€

Zoibie

I'll believe it when I see it. It would be fantastic at that price but I'm still expecting it to be upwards of £350.

So 350€ ? Holy shit that would be amazing. I guess that would mean $349.99 unless Sony has come to its senses.
Pretty sure it's around 400€ when it hit the rest of Europe. 350€ would be the funeral of the Wii U.
Well, even 400€ would be a hard time for Nintendo.

Floex

In a world where people don't blink an eyelid to buy an iPad, £300 for a beast of a console is fantastic.

No I'm not comparing iPad's to consoles but the price point still stands.

Amir0x

Banned
The fuck did you expect it to cost?

Uh, $399.99. Exactly what I said.

I'm reacting to the OP which says "it will be far cheaper than many experts had expected", because $400 is exactly what I expected. So it wouldn't be surprising at all

Top Bottom