• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

I don't see them pricing it at 400€ if the UK price is £299. Either way, as you said even 400€ would give Nintendo a hard time.

As if Nintendo needed anyone but themselves to put them through hard times. They're more than capable enough of digging their own grave.

At this point it doesn't really matter what MS or Sony do, Nintendo is the only culprit for their demise.

ibun

euro region = 449,90€ i guess. vat included+contiental europe extra+europeans buy what we sell bonus. bundle(game+controller+wired headset+3months psn+) 499,90€, but i wouldnt bet on that game.

Mojojo

waiting for the price in €, we always get the shaft anyway :(

I don't expect it to sell like crazy at that price, with a cheaper PS3 and many "cross-gen" games for Q3-Q4 2013

Amir0x

Banned
Europe is Sony's cash cow still, right? I mean, they can choose to charge more in Europe because Europeans are paying the price, no?

Taxes. About 20% in UK I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

£299 would most likely mean $400, maybe (but unlikely) $350 if they go $=€ and decide to not go overboard with the European price.

Value Added Tax. Ranges from around 15% to 25% in Europe. Equivalent of sales tax in USA.

Value Added Tax, a 20% (currently) tax on luxuries.

Value added Tax, it's on all 'luxury items', roughly equivalent to sales tax I'd assume.

It's currently at 20% in the UK.

Sales tax. 300£ = good

Good grief...15-25%!!?? I'm surprised this is acceptable. What's the purpose of this? It's definitely not equivalent to sales tax in the states, at least not where I live, it's 6.5%.....

Holy shit, that would be fantastic. Too good to be true almost. I'm there day one for £300 as long as the launch titles are at least halfway appealling.

Orayn

And the PS4 is way more powerful, has move integrated into the controller, touchpad, dual eye camera etc packed in and god knows what else. I cant see this going below 400$ unless Sony has decided to take massive hits on each hardware sold and going for the extreme lossmaker strategy again like they did with the three Playstations prior.

None of what you mentioned is very expensive, though. The additions to the controller entail a pretty trivial increase in price, and the Orbis itself doesn't contain anything terribly exotic like the Cell. If they play their cards right, Sony could shoot for $400 and sell it at or near cost.

Omikaru

There is now way GAME will sell this for £299. No way on earth.

£399 bundled with the crappiest launch game, controller cover, third party pad, PS Eye stand, USB charging cable (RRP £19.99), and checkout pressure to buy GAMEcare warranty.

"£450 value for £399!"

Amir0x

Banned
Good grief...15-25%!!?? I'm surprised this is acceptable. What's the purpose of this? It's definitely not equivalent to sales tax in the states, at least not where I live, it's 6.5%.....

Tax is higher in these other places because they offer services which the United States does not, such as Universal Health Care.

Contrary to popular belief, these things are not free. We simply lower the pain of these services by spreading it more evenly across the entire population.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yes. People wonder why the economy is bad and no one is buying and we have a 20% tax on most goods. It's great living in the UK.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, looking at Vita launch price in UK (Wi-Fi: 229.99; 3G: 279.99), it seems...impossible for PS4 to be priced at 299.99, just 20 Pounds more than what a portable PS3 + 3G device was priced at.

tsab

probable 400€ price tag?

%255BUNSET%255D.png

Got to pay for higher government spending over here somehow. The usual rate was 17.5%, and it did hit 15% as an attempted stimulus boost. Wait till you see some of the other taxes heh.

Another way for central government to fill the coffers.

The UK at least had a variable sales tax depending on the goods, then they dropped that in favour of VAT set at 10%, its been gradually increasing ever since.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

It allows us to not leave people in the street dying because they don't have health care :)

Liamario

Banned
Don't you see!!!
They set the PS3 price at an unfathomable price, so it would make the PS4 price super cheap and thus fly off the shelves.

Of course, it could be that this story is a complete fabrication and at best this is an educated guess.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I would be surprised if they got hold of launch price in GBP. Likely they just converted from USD or JPY in to GBP which we all know isn't how it works for these things.

pants

No way in hell this thing is 300 pounds. I'm still expecting the euro butt hammering to take place.

Amir0x

Banned
A welfare state.

Until of course you consider that the amount of savings people make from not having to worry about their health care expenditures are far more than people are paying extra in taxes.

but I digress; PS4 should come in at $399.99 if Sony wants a fighting chance in the States.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Surprising. I don't think Sony would announce a price on Feb 20th. One would think they would wait until the competition shows their cards first. E3 would be a better time to announce it, but hey, who knows.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Uh, $399.99. Exactly what I said.

I'm reacting to the OP which says "it will be far cheaper than many experts had expected", because $400 is exactly what I expected. So it wouldn't be surprising at all
k

Kouriozan

That's really a good price and hopefully it's true.
Sadly it won't be 350€ because in the beautiful world of business $=€.

It's interesting if Sony announces the price at all, but these rumors have to be coming from somewhere. I assumed price reveals would come at E3 at the earliest.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would be surprised if they got hold of launch price in GBP. Likely they just converted from USD or JPY in to GBP which we all know isn't how it works for these things.

So $465.63?

which would result in £465 ouch I hope this is not what happened.

Top Bottom