• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

Orayn

I wouldn't get too excited. I'm sure this is the base model?

The respectable unit will be 449-499?

Currently, all signs point to a single SKU that includes a 500GB hard drive and next-gen Playstation Eye. A premium SKU is still possible, but I think it would just mean the addition of some combination of a Move controller, PS+, and pre-loaded games.

Tobor

$399. It absolutely has to be, or they are screwed.

Microsoft is going to hitting hard with subsidy crap this go round, Sony has no wiggle room on price.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I think $300 would be irresistible for way too many people at launch, and I doubt Sony could meet the demand early on. So they'd be losing potential profit.

I could see them lowering the price to that point further down the line when the supply chain is saturated. Sort of like what Nintendo did with the 3DS.
Nintendo lowered the price because nobody was buying it, not because of over saturation

BD1

Banned
Man, $450USD?

... I dunno. I don't think the market is there right now to support that price. We'll see Weds (maybe).

Microsoft is going to hitting hard with subsidy crap this go round, Sony has no wiggle room on price.

Well, with the current financial state of Sony, they can't take massive losses on it either.

if 350 is anywhere true ( i highly doubt it) then Sony is out for blood. They will take a massive loss with each console sold, betting on outselling MS at all costs.

I doubt Sony is in a position to pull this off.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I repeat the question: do we know how much is Times reliable when talking about console rumours? This is what we need to understand.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Very reasonable, so good I might buy 2 (presuming I have to get a US console if I want a PS4 in 2013).

Amir0x

Banned
Were you expecting the PS4 to be priced close to the Wii U?

No. God, I must have really misfired on the English or something in my post.

I expected it at $399.99. I don't think that's cheaper than expected, which is what the OP article suggested. I think that's where they have to be. I was saying it better be that price (or lower, although I don't think it would or has to be), because if it's priced more than $400, it's going to be another Sony bomb.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I am not sure,since they said leaked internal documents as well.

Not sure what those are.

Yeah, but if those docs were quoting a price in yen, it would be misleading to simply take a straight conversion to pounds.

Anyway, I have the full article in front of me.

Some of it seems a bit dubious or a regurgitation of what's come before.

It does say that Sony wants to see the next Xbox before announcing pricing or release dates for PS4. It says 'Sony hopes to launch the new PlayStation worldwide at the same time. Industry sources said the company does not want "to be on the back foot" as they were with the release of the PlayStation 3, which launched in Europe later than in the US and Japan, meaning many gamers were left with no other choice than to buy the Xbox'.

I think that's a bit dubious though. Think we've had fairly good indication that US/Japan might happen this year, but Europe next.

Zaph

I can't read the full article (paywall), can someone tell me if the "£300" number is a direct US$ conversion or an actual UK price point?

If it's just a conversion, then that number is basically pointless as it'll surely get inflated due to the usual reasons.

Also, if the rumours are true and the late 2013 launch is only for US/JP (with EU following in 2014), I don't see them announcing a UK price for quite a while.

The Lamp

I don't think it'll start higher than $399. Last time it was blu-ray that cost them so much and this time they're likely going to keep it. Even with a $599 launch, PS3 isn't doing horrifically now, so at $399 I think they'll be okay.

x-Lundz-x

If true I assume 399 for base model and 499 for the the one that's worth getting.

If they have a bunch of killer launch games at first they can count on me to be there day one.

javac

That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

To put it in perspective, the Premium Wii U retails for £299 in the UK, while its $350 in the US. UK normally gets ripped off. £300 for PS4 is cheap (for us!)

Acheteedo

Oh, and if they do announce at £299, Wii U is dead in the water. not floundering or at risk, but dead, at least in the UK.

It is already dead. The UK has flat-out rejected the WiiU.

I can believe the £300 price point because the UK market is pretty weak at the moment, I don't think you can launch a machine much higher than that price, we're in a perpetual recession thanks to our lovely leaders.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wouldn't get too excited. I'm sure this is the base model?

The respectable unit will be 449-499?

I think the rumor was there would only be 1 SKU.

Anyway, $399 is the sweet spot. Anything over that will tank and I think Sony has learned this lesson.

meta4

Yes. The Wii U is dramatically overpriced, because Nintendo, and it also has a pad controller that apparently costs a lot of money, something that PS3 doesn't have in favor of stronger hardware.

Just because you think one price is too much doesn't mean you don't think the other is too much as well.

Edit: Oops, I don't think $400 is too much. I think any MORE than that is too much.

And the PS4 is way more powerful, has move integrated into the controller, touchpad, dual eye camera etc packed in and god knows what else. I cant see this going below 400$ unless Sony has decided to take massive hits on each hardware sold and going for the extreme lossmaker strategy again like they did with the three Playstations prior.

$399 is what the maximum is for Sony. If they go over that, they will regret it. Even going to $450 is too much to launch.

anyone hoping for a $300 launch is kidding themselves seeing how the ps3 is still at $269 over 6 years after it launched.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does anyone know what the "leaked" prices for the PS3 was before the official announcement?

I remember a SCE France exec saying 500 euros before the official price was announced, and of course, that turned out to be pretty spot on.

Of course, that was a way more solid source than anonymous reports in The Times :p

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There is now way GAME will sell this for £299. No way on earth.

Jackano

That's another rumor towarding to a very good price for a sony system.

Questions are:
- 400€ is fine but what if is it the cutting edge model, with the only viable model at 50/100€ more?
- What will MS and Nintendo do?
- How much is gonna sony loose on each hardware sale?

Top Bottom