• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
£399 bundled with the crappiest launch game, controller cover, third party pad, PS Eye stand, USB charging cable (RRP £19.99), and checkout pressure to buy GAMEcare warranty.

"£450 value for £399!"

Of course they wont. They will bundle it with three games and accessories you dont want and sell that for £500

Yep. I've always enjoyed doing the midnight launch line up but I'm not prepared to pay the GAME tax anymore. I guess I'll be forced to do the alternative which is to order from Amazon and rant when it doesn't arrive.

Sendou

Until of course you consider that the amount of savings people make from not having to worry about their health care expenditures are far more than people are paying extra in taxes.

Depends.

PS4 at £300 is something that would put some serious heat on Nintendo's Wii U. Interesting to see if this rumour will come true.

Mileena

Banned
Actually, looking at Vita launch price in UK (Wi-Fi: 229.99; 3G: 279.99), it seems...impossible for PS4 to be priced at 299.99, just 20 Pounds more than what a portable PS3 + 3G device was priced at.
Um, you do realize 3DS launched at $50 lower than the Wii U right? It was two hundred and fifty dollars.

Taker666

It wouldn't surprise me if the price was in yen or dollars and they just did a straight conversion.

That's the sort of stupid thing UK websites do.

Still...I'm not sure why a $399 price would surprise anyone. The PS3 had to contend with an overpriced blu-ray drive. Nothing like that to worry about this time.

I sort of expected both Durango and Orbis to have a $399 base model,$499 deluxe. Any more and they'd really struggle.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's interesting if Sony announces the price at all, but these rumors have to be coming from somewhere. I assumed price reveals would come at E3 at the earliest.

Probably not even at E3.

Even The Times says it's unlikely we'll get pricing or release dates on Wednesday.

Anyway, I would take this with a grain of salt for now. The article is very much 'sources expect' etc. etc.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If expert is defined by industry analyst, I'd say I am definitely better at that job than 60% of the analysts I've seen so far get quoted, so yes. I am!

I think your tendency to write in neverending absolutes would have you out after one term. "SONY IS DONE. ITS OVER. DONE. DEAD." etc Maybe try... reining that in a little.

$599 was a crazy price because even after two pricedrops it still wouldnt be in mass market sphere or close. $450 is a launch adopter skimmer, and we're not sure exactly how much peripheral stuff is going to be packed in such as camera, what that controller is gonna be (screen vs pad). Or how much of a loss theyre prepared to take here. Xbox 360 was $399 after all. But at least there'll be rumble from the start!

I think this is just Times bullshit based on the 40,000 yen remark though.

ibun

None of what you mentioned is very expensive, though. The additions to the controller entail a pretty trivial increase in price, and the Orbis itself doesn't contain anything terribly exotic like the Cell. If they play their cards right, Sony could shoot for $400 and sell it at or near cost.

PSeye etc with those accessories these companie make money. MS could sell an 20GB HDD für 60€ ^-^ ah 100GB HDD did cost 120€. PSeye 59€ at the beginning. MS Play&Chargi Kit was around 36€ (battery, long USB cable) a new Pad did cost for MS 39€. a Sony DS3 around 50€ ^_^ not really expensive in production value but has a high selling point and MS/Sony/Niintendo arent eager to bundle those "premium" stuff for free

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We need someone to actually read all the article, in order to comprehend where this is coming from. Can someone do it as soon as possible?

Until of course you consider that the amount of savings people make from not having to worry about their health care expenditures are far more than people are paying extra in taxes.

but I digress; PS4 should come in at $399.99 if Sony wants a fighting chance in the States.

I meant it in a good way, welfare state has no negative connotations, at least to me.

Omikaru

I'm still thinking £299.99 is too good to be true for UK. At £300 it's an insta-buy if I can see one launch game that interests me, whereas at £350 I'll have to see what games it has in the first 6-18 months.

Coolwhip

Banned
I never understood why people make a big deal about $50 more or less on a console and then go on to buy mutliple $60 games.

Zaph

I would be surprised if they got hold of launch price in GBP. Likely they just converted from USD or JPY in to GBP which we all know isn't how it works for these things.
Yeah, that was my initial reaction too. I want to believe, but all past experience says otherwise.

Floex

We need someone to actually read all the article, in order to comprehend where this is coming from. Can someone do it as soon as possible?

The Times is in no way, shape or form is known for its video game news. Almost certain it's taken from that article about how much it will cost in Japan.

Amir0x

Banned
I think your tendency to write in neverending absolutes would have you out after one term. "SONY IS DONE. ITS OVER. DONE. DEAD." etc Maybe try... reining that in a little.

I still maintain that history has shown me to be correct - they lost more money on PS3 than the combined profit of every system they had prior. And Sony as a company is in very problematic times. We shall see the final result in a few years, because if PS4 fails like PS3 and Vita did, in terms of profit, there's not so much more to go.

Or how much of a loss theyre prepared to take here. Xbox 360 was $399 after all.

But at least there'll be rumble from the start!

haha, rumble. God. All kidding around aside, the last time I even noticed rumble being in any game was FEZ, but only because it was part of a puzzle. Before that, I don't think I can recall a single game all gen where rumble even registered for me...

...I just think Sony needs to take a loss if that's what it takes to get to $399.99. Considering Europe gets shafted, if it is 300 pounds, $400 seems right.

Sickboy007 said:
I meant it in a good way, welfare state has no negative connotations, at least to me.

Ah, a lot of people weigh that term VERY heavily. Than I agree with you :)

Orayn

PSeye etc with those accessories these companie make money. MS could sell an 20GB HDD für 60€ ^-^ ah 100GB HDD did cost 120€. PSeye 59€ at the beginning. MS Play&Chargi Kit was around 36€ (battery, long USB cable) a new Pad did cost for MS 39€. a Sony DS3 around 50€ ^_^ not really expensive in production value but has a high selling point and MS/Sony/Niintendo arent eager to bundle those "premium" stuff for free

Still, it sounds like Sony plans to put their new camera in every box to make it a standard feature.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I wouldn't bet on them revealing the price point on Feb 20, as that could completely overshadow the other announcements they have to make. Same Vita strategy, maybe.

def sim

I never understood why people make a big deal about $50 more or less on a console and then go on to buy mutliple $60 games.

One reason is right there in your post. Anyway, $50 isn't just throw away money unless you have no concept of value whatsoever.

£299 would be a good price, what I would expect for a 39,990 yen console in Japan without the additional Sony EU tax that we get on all of their products.

kitsuneyo

If it comes in the same price as a 32GB Wii U then it's going to look like incredible value.

That PS4 controller looks expensive by the way.

I'll be amazed (and really impressed) if £299 is the UK price.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
$400 U.S. is a good price. If the PS3 can survive with an intro price of $700, then PS4 will do just fine at $400. Some of you need to get a job.

dab0ne

Well £300 is about $465 but that doesn't mean We'll be charged that much here in the US. If the Vita can be used as an example they'll be pretty similar numerically.

Right now a WIFI Vita goes for £259.99 at Game
http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/ps-vita/?cm_sp=formatheader-_-PSVita-_-Consoles

A WIFI Vita goes for $250 at Gamestop.com and it's bundled with some stuff
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ps-vita/systems?nav=131af-c4

That's a significant difference since £260 is roughly $400.

Here is the difference on Amazon and Amazon UK:

US = $250 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=vita

UK = £217 ($336) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0054Q82WI/

These are just examples of what a reteller sales these systems at. If the PS4 is £300 in the UK I would be surprised if it's more than $400 in the US.

I gasped. This would be an amazing pricepoint. I would've expected £379, frankly. Bear in mind the Vita launched in the UK at £230 (around $350) compared to $249 in the US. An estimation of $450 in the US based on this news is way off.

Both sides need to realise that whatever is cheapest in the UK, wins.

EDIT: yes, dab0ne with dat research. Thank you.

Game over for Sony if this is announced over $400 on Wednesday. Game over!

I'll eat my monitor if this actually comes in under $400. I'd also probably preorder :p

Zenaku

Does anyone here honestly expect the PS4 to release as a single SKU? If this is true, it'd likely be the basic version.

No. God, I must have really misfired on the English or something in my post.

I expected it at $399.99. I don't think that's cheaper than expected, which is what the OP article suggested. I think that's where they have to be. I was saying it better be that price (or lower, although I don't think it would or has to be), because if it's priced more than $400, it's going to be another Sony bomb.

For what it's worth, I agree with you completely. $399 would be a sweet spot for a lot of people. Anything less than that would be a surprise and an instant purchase. Anything more than that is a "wait a few months and see how the library shapes up" scenario, IMO.

300 pounds would translate into roughly 350€, which would actually be quite a bit cheaper than what I expected (399€/$). That would also be the same price as Wii U Premium ^^

Brinbe

$400 is fine. And it might only be 50 bucks, but there's significant psychological difference between $399 and $450.

I gasped. This would be an amazing pricepoint. I would've expected £379, frankly. Bear in mind the Vita launched in the UK at £230 (around $350) compared to $249 in the US. An estimation of $450 in the US based on this news is way off.

Both sides need to realise that whatever is cheapest in the UK, wins.

Well price isn't the entire picture, but it is a much bigger factor with consumers than 2005-2007, now that nearly everyone in the UK is broke and eating tins of baked beans for every meal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The same price as the Zombi U pack. If true, that's a great price, but it's probably just a conversion of the 40000 yen from the asahi shinbun.

For whatever it's worth:

WLwN8RC.png

Top Bottom