• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Times : Sony is considering pricing PS4 "at about £300"

$400 isn't that bad I guess, just as long as it's worth that $400.

I just hope that Sony doesn't try to go the movement controller route like with PS Move. I like playing my games on a couch and not spinning across the room to do stuff, the Wii kinda showed me that motion controlled gaming isn't for me. Just any weird gimmick at all will probably draw me off, but if the games they reveal are good enough I'll try to sustain it.

Orayn

of course 299 is with a grain of salt

I doubt the specs of that sku will appeal to most of GAF

360 was actually kind of hamstrung on the development side by the HDD not being standard, and neither MS nor Sony want to repeat that. The cheaper SKU, whatever it costs, won't be missing any major features.

Kimawolf

In the UK the WiiU is a dead console right now. Essentially 0 momentum. I'm not sure how much longer retailers are going to even want it on store shelves with Sony and MS about to start nuclear war on the dance floor.

Yes they have a VERY small window to do something drastic. Because it will become tougher to justify stocking a 300 dollar product that isn't selling anything.

Taker666

£329 rrp is what I'd expect then ..with some stores taking the hit to bring it to £299 (meaning $399 in the US).

Anything above $400 would be a foolish (for a base model at least).

-Amon-

That's $399.99? That's not at all cheaper than I expected it to be?

I damn well hope they're not CONSIDERING that price either; better be that or lower or they're out.

What ?

Less than that at launch would really surprise me.

javac

It's too early to tell, in my opinion. People believed that the 3DS was dead when Vita was revealed to retail at $250. A price drop might be necessary, but Wii U isn't done yet.

I was one of them people who thought the 3DS was dead once Vita's price was announced. And I was a 3DS aficionado! So your not wrong!!

Haunted

I expect no price announcement at the February event, btw. Some specs, the shape of the controller and the system, game announcements and trailers, but not a price. They're waiting for E3 to drop that bomb.

Omikaru

His article says that 'sources expect' it to launch worldwide for Christmas.

I would take that with a MASSIVE grain of salt.

Yup. I don't think Sony has ever done a worldwide launch. Normally one of the three major territories (EU, US, Japan) is separate from the other two, and sometimes it's even worse than that...

Coolwhip

Banned
In the UK the WiiU is a dead console right now. Essentially 0 momentum. I'm not sure how much longer retailers are going to even want it on store shelves with Sony and MS about to start nuclear war on the dance floor.

This holiday season the price of Wii U will drop I'm sure. I'm guessing retailers would like to have a cheaper alternative to the 400-500$ consoles. Unless ps360 can fill that role.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Way too much clashing with stuff we've heard rumbling of a Euro delay. The more he says, the less likely I am to believe any of it. A global launch, at that price? Kaz would have to be Jack Bauer'ing this shit 25/8 with factory bosses families held hostage. "I'LL DO IT!!! I'LL KILL THEM! GET THIS SHIT UNDER COST AND MAKE 5 MILLION OF THEM!"

Nintendo just need to make the Wii U Pro the Wii U Basic price and they're at £240; basically make the Basic Black and they're there lol.

Chuck in a bundle and a price cut in the future and their fine.
The UK momentum isn't the console, its the games. I don't actually see this changing much tbf.

WiiU will be £199.99 bundled with a game this holiday.

Faddy

Banned
£300 seems unrealistic to me if that includes VAT, £300 +20% would be £360.

I think $400 + taxes is believable. So it might be in the region of £330 at launch.

If it is ~$400 fair pricing would be

US $399 +taxes
GB £329 (inc VAT)
EU €349 (inc tax)
JP 40000 YEN (unsure how taxes are applied in Japan)

Recent trends have been to charge the same in $ and € then convert the European price to pounds which means it would be closer to £350.

Shahed

Assuming this is true, this would force WII U to drop in price right? With Premium being £289 at Amazon, what would you expect the new price to be?

In my head I'm dreaming of a Zelda/Project X Premium Wii U bundle at £230-50

Sid

This holiday season the price of Wii U will drop I'm sure. I'm guessing retailers would like to have a cheaper alternative to the 400-500$ consoles. Unless ps360 can fill that role.
With GTA5,The Last of Us,God of War:Ascensionn,COD 15,AC 4,FIFA 14 etc. I'm sure neither of them will have an issue with that.

Nestunt

360 was actually kind of hamstrung on the development side by the HDD not being standard, and neither MS nor Sony want to repeat that. The cheaper SKU, whatever it costs, won't be missing any major features.

Maybe specs was a bad choice of word on my part

"characteristics" is more like it

meaning, if there is such sku, probably there will be better ones in terms of gamers offer

I believe that such 299 is for media center buyers

javac

It would be very similar to the Wii iin that case. A cheaper console that for most part will supplement the bigger consoles to satisfy the users quench for Nintendo's latest game and the odd exclusive such as Bayonetta 2.

Shikoro

£299/€399/$399
Just as I thought. If people are unhappy with these prices, I guess they have the choice to wait two years. :p

I think $400 + taxes is believable. So it might be in the region of £330 at launch.

US $399 +taxes
GB £329 (inc VAT)
EU €349 (inc tax)

Recent trends have been to charge the same in $ and € then convert the European price to pounds which means it would be closer to £350.

I think they'll take the £30 loss on tax; why not?
If your making a loss for long term gain you might as well go all in.

The losses will still be nowhere near the PS3 losses. Not to mention Sony need a digital device in the home; physical does well but Bluray is only one part of the HD market.
I feel there is more profit and gains for them than MS.

Thank you. I'm really hoping Sony launch in the UK 2013. We've only had "the edge"? article that said 2014, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they were wrong.

If this turns out to be true then all i can say is Damn!

I was expecting around £350 - £375 but at £299 and with some good marketing this could really be big for Sony here.

I was going to be day 1 anyway no matter the price but if it does come out at this price then that just means i will have more to spend on games :)

Taker666

If Sony (and assuming MS) starts at $399 in the US, Nintendo will have some very difficult choices to make on where they want to sit the WiiU in terms of market perception and location.

Smartest thing to do with the Wii U is dump the 8GB model, take out all the extras from the deluxe and have one 32GB model in black or white for $250 ( which is what they should have done in the first place).

Orayn

Maybe specs was a bad choice of word on my part

"characteristics" is more like it

meaning, if there is such sku, probably there will be better ones in terms of gamers offer

I believe that such 299 is for media center buyers

Apart from a bigger hard drive and/or PS+ subscription, what would be different about the "gamer" model?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Yes, massive grain of salt indeed, since all the other rumours from credible sources talked about early 2014 for the European launch, no?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
$400 would be a price where I would instantly buy it.

Also, I think anything higher will die at retail.

boyshine

You're not expecting Sony to talk price at all this week, are you? It will be far too soon, giving MS a huge upper hand in preparation for their own reveal.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
In my head I'm dreaming of a Zelda/Project X Premium Wii U bundle at £230-50

Fond memories of the Gamecube price detonation to £78.99 in 2003 at Argos with Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, WaveRace or Luigi's Mansion for free and Wind Waker out that month.

Does any retailer have those balls nowadays though, especially with the WiiU tracking behind even that disasterpiece.

KingK

If the PS4 launches at $399 in the US I will almost definitely get one this year. If it's more than that, I'll probably end up waiting.

I don't see why they can't make a 2013 launch.
People seem to be pulling that out of the air overall.

Certainly if there is a delay Europe will be last, though Japan might be delayed unless Sony want to ensure whatever Nintendo has planned for Q3/Q4 has less effect.

They need a price cut ASAP in all honestly. Ditch the basic model too, and improve the marketing. As for games they'll come when they're finished, nothing that can be done about them now.

Waiting until the run up to Christmas for a price cut would be insane. By September PS4 and 720 marketing machines will be in full swing in the run up to release, and all attention will shift to them ( if they are due for release in the UK this year). Even more so if either of the new systems are around the £300 mark.

US $399 +taxes
GB £329 (inc VAT)
EU €349 (inc tax)

Japan has a 5% (soon to be 10%) consumption tax, so the ex-VAT price would be 38,100 yen.

However, if Sony are hoping to make a big splash in the US and UK (two markets where they trail MS) then £299 and $349 prices make sense.

Cornbread78

$400 or they might as well not release it in the US...... Nobody will pay $500 and it will die a swift, painfull death.....

Top Bottom