• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realeza

Banned
The actual reviews of the album right now lean more towards the positive than anything, not too dissimilar from Plastic Beach's reviews. I think with Gorillaz, fan reception will always be a bit mixed - especially since the band has made it a habit to have the listener expect the unexpected with every new record.

What reviews?

jstripes

Banned
Seems like reviews have been rolling in since yesterday. 79 on Metacritic, a lot of 4/5s. Pretty good and fairly in line with how Gorillaz records usually review (except Demon Days which was universally lauded and The Fall which was more mixed).

Remember, people: 79 in the world of music is a much higher score than 79 in the world of video games.

HotHamBoy

Man, I can't believe The Apprentice is a bonus track.

That would have been the lead single if it were up to me.

I just started listening to the Deluxe Ed. First time hearing the album, be back w/ impressions!

Edit: Strobelite is straight vintage!

Did it ever really have that, though? I mean, all the Gorillaz albums not only sound different, but generally have very different sounding songs within them. I've never really felt there was ever really a Gorillaz sound

Absolutely. Hell, look at the first album. Que Pasa Contigo, Rock the House, 5/4 and Tomorrow Comes Today are completely different sounds.

NotLiquid

What reviews?
6 reviews are counted on Metacritic right now from publications like Mojo, Q, Uncut, Clash and Consequence of Sound. Most of the reviews prior to Monday were magazine reviews. The lowest scoring one is CoS with a B-. Most of the critique seems to have to do with the band being drowned out by the wide array of collaborators, but that aside there's plenty of praise towards the individual tracks.

Man, I can't believe The Apprentice is a bonus track.

That would have been the lead single if it were up to me.

I just started listening to the Deluxe Ed. First time hearing the album, be back w/ impressions!

Edit: Strobelite is straight vintage!

Absolutely. Hell, look at the first album. Que Pasa Contigo, Rock the House, 5/4 and Tomorrow Comes Today are completely different sounds.

Yea, The Apprentice is a super dope song. Been listening non stop.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Did it ever really have that, though? I mean, all the Gorillaz albums not only sound different, but generally have very different sounding songs within them. I've never really felt there was ever really a Gorillaz sound

I think the original album and Demon Days have a lot of continuity in terms of sound. You can trace from Tomorrow Comes Today to something like November Has Come to Rhinestone Eyes pretty easily. It gets harder for Plastic Beach, though, and Humanz, at least so far, is even more removed. The most 'Gorillaz' track is probably something like Andromeda, but most feel quite thematically different.

Not worse, mind, at least for me. My music tastes are pretty varied and I really like Humanz. But I can understand some people who might have especially treasured the lineage of Gorillaz and Demon Days being upset, especially as there's almost nothing else that caters to that niche.

I think the original album and Demon Days have a lot of continuity in terms of sound. You can trace from Tomorrow Comes Today to something like November Has Come to Rhinestone Eyes pretty easily. It gets harder for Plastic Beach, though, and Humanz, at least so far, is even more removed. The most 'Gorillaz' track is probably something like Andromeda, but most feel quite thematically different.

Not worse, mind, at least for me. My music tastes are pretty varied and I really like Humanz. But I can understand some people who might have especially treasured the lineage of Gorillaz and Demon Days being upset, especially as there's almost nothing else that caters to that niche.

Honestly, I just can't say I see/hear that at all. I've always felt the band has had a large mix of sounds from the beginning

NotLiquid

Plastic Beach was much more sonically whimsical than previous Gorillaz albums, even if thematically it was the dreariest. The symphonic abundance was also not something the band embraced as much until that album.

Honestly the most "Plastic Beach" sounding song Gorillaz has in any of their back catalogue prior to that album is All Alone, and thats because it embraces much of those high pitch oscillators that were ubiquitous in Plastic Beach. Other than that Demon Days has Danger Mouse's handprints all over it.

-GJ-

Apparently the vinyl release got delayed in the Netherlands. My local record store won't get it until May 5th (which is a national holiday where the stores are closed) and bol.com (kinda like the Dutch Amazon) also has it listed for the 5th. The CD's will be available on Friday though. Is this a European thing or just in the Netherlands?

Realeza

Banned
Reviews for music are so fucking meaningless. Go check the reviews of Demon Days. I'm pretty sure there's some funny, low ones.

NotLiquid

Just wanna make sure everyone checks out Andromeda with the D.R.A.M. chorus inserted. It's glorious. I hardly can go back to the original to be honest.

Andromeda (Chorus Edit)

I think it's a good performance from him but I feel like it is a little bit too busy considering how lush the instrumental of the chorus already is. It's kinda like putting lyrics over the chorus of Rhinestone Eyes. Though I do wish D.R.A.M. had more presence on Andromeda, I can see why they felt it was better without it.

HotHamBoy

Let's also remember that there's a B-Sides record coming!!

The b-sides are always awesome. It's likely that those of you who were looking for something else will find it there as it's common for good songs to get cut for not fitting the vibe of the record.

what?
hahaha
Freaking crap that came out the wrong way. My bad!

I meant to say that I liked Plastic Beach cause the songs, even if it does have instances of Modern stuff, are balanced with not only mellowed songs, but also with guitars and not in a go crazy way.

Like To Binge and Plastic Beach the song.

....wow that doesn't make sense either.
WHERE IS P-SIDES DAMON.
Yeah seriously where are my P-sides???!

aBarreras

Freaking crap that came out the wrong way. My bad!

I meant to say that I liked Plastic Beach cause the songs, even if it does have instances of Modern stuff, are balanced with not only mellowed songs, but also with guitars and not in a go crazy way.

Like To Binge and Plastic Beach the song.

....wow that doesn't make sense either.

Yeah seriously where are my P-sides???!

mean i kinda get you, even tho plastic beach is the most pop like album from gorillaz, i wouldnt really categorize it as pop, but it is definetely the most pop album haha

it is really progressive to be a pop album

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Let's also remember that there's a B-Sides record coming!!

The b-sides are always awesome. It's likely that those of you who were looking for something else will find it there as it's common for good songs to get cut for not fitting the vibe of the record.
Is this based on anything more than Damon saying he has lots more songs to keep working on? Because we heard the same thing coming out of Plastic Beach and never got anything.

Moonkid

Tomorrow should have come today.
Just wanna make sure everyone checks out Andromeda with the D.R.A.M. chorus inserted. It's glorious. I hardly can go back to the original to be honest.

Andromeda (Chorus Edit)
This edit has potential but it needs a bit of tweaking. Maybe repeat the chorus twice each time and add dram the second time? Hope whoever made this picks it up again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the DRAM version is definitely too busy, the difference between the mellow parts of Andromeda and the chorus just becomes too much, it's 0 to 180 in a few seconds.

JMizzlin

Just found out my local store won't have the Deluxe Vinyl available on launch day. Really disappointing, will have to wait for my copy.

Holy shit apprentice is so fucking good.
How is that a bonus track?

It's really good but I'm not sure where it would fit in sequence wise in the main album. Apparently the bonus tracks are going to be a bit more than random bonuses too, but more like an extended coda to the main album, they have their own interlude and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom