• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's on their defective PS4 [Up: Sony - less than 0.4% of shipped units affected]

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence on a scale of the RROD. That's the last thing Sony needs right now.

Maybe having to wait an extra two weeks here in the UK isn't such a bad thing after all.

C'mon it's a couple of units at this stage. Bit of a leap to RROD 2.0.

Lily

In my head im saying its fine, every electronic device has a few defective units, but when 2 major websites have a defective unit....its a little worrying, maybe just a coincedence

SRTtoZ

Brand new electronics are defective. Seriously what's the story here? Over 4000 units and we have a couple of reports of faulty hardware. Seems par for the course and no reason to think anything bigger.

BigDug13

Cool man. I'll come directly to you after I fork out $550AUD for a PS4 after it shits itself because, you know, 0.5% and all that.

If Sony wants to pay me to run their warranty department, ok. But you should really use the warranty system for that. I mean it's there because factory assembled shit sometimes isn't right. Or it's engineered wrong like the CD-ROM drive on the PS1 or the solder on 360, but that's worse.

Do you have the expectation that a purchased piece of factory assembled piece of tech will 100% of the time be operating properly? It's unrealistic. Sometimes right out of the box, stuff simply doesn't work. Now when it reaches into the double digits like nearly 25% failure rate of launch 360's within 2 years of purchase, that's when it's a major problem.

Out of about 1000 units out there so far, 30 will be defective and those 30 people are much more likely to be vocal about it than the people who have no issues. So far I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

gogogow

I hope this doesn't become a common occurrence on a scale of the RROD. That's the last thing Sony needs right now.

Maybe having to wait an extra two weeks here in the UK isn't such a bad thing after all.

I don't think those 2 weeks will matter at all. They will probably be from the same batch/production line.

meanspartan

Well guys, in less than a day we will know if this is widespread. Gettin mine at midnight, hopin for the best. But between all the press and taco bell winners and such, thousands of ps4s are already out there and we know of under ten failures. Keep it in perspective until we know more tomorrow.

Out of about 1000 units out there so far, 30 will be defective and those 30 people are much more likely to be vocal about it than the people who have no issues. So far I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Exactly. There is a failure rate expected with ANY electronics product. Luck of the draw. Unless of course it turns out to be a higher than expected fail rate.

So of my two friends that got ps4s yesterday one is now dead. It's doing the same thing as the video posted with the flickering if pressure is applied to the top of the case otherwise it shows nothing.

My other friend has reported his locking up twice during the menus as well.

TJUK

Neo Member
If shit really goes south come Friday and the following days, I can see them delaying the EU launch. Though it would have to get pretty bad for that to happen.

Or looking on the bright side, it may require a new system update that are NA friends can kindly test for us Europeans between now and the 29th. :)

The best Microsoft ploy ever. Get early PS4 systems, intentionally mess them up and post the ultimate FUD! Well played, MS, well played.

I really hope this doesn't become as wide spread as it might seem to be. Also, for clarity sake I am absolutely kidding.

Alej

Banned
Guys don't overreact to much, it's standard launch issues (and what? 6 consoles with faulty HDD or HDMI port?), likely a faulty batch...

seriously?>

Yes.. he said he downloaded the 1.5 update.. rebooted, went onto the store and downloaded dc online... while it was downloading he thought it had froze.. and he pulled the cord..

I don't know if it froze.. or it was just the download stopped and he thought it had froze... so it could have been a crash.. but pulling the cord is the last thing you do..

Could also be bad connections/tv/cable... in other words no more clear..

As far as that guy on twitch is concerned.. he pulled the power cable out as the console was downloading.. so he could have corrupted his system

Unless it is during an update no modern operating (file) system should have a problem with that. May the downloaded data be lost - depends but corrupting the whole system? In that case Cerny should go back to CS 101.

If it is indeed a hardware problem I hope it is a simple assembly line problem aka bad quality manufactoring because that is easy to fix. Wrong design on the other hand isn't.

So far we don't have enough data to really conclude anything. I guess tomorrow and the weekend will really show if there is a true issue beyond a certain level of failure tolerance or if it is just as many claimed Web 2.0 "complaining".

Coreda

Thank you OP for providing a neat, clear summary of what has been happening. The other thread is a mess for figuring out what's been going on.

There are 6-7 defective units so far but that's just among the early users who have a vocal online presence. There could very well be more out there who simply contacted Sony support instead of posting on reddit or making a youtube video.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will see how it works when I get it.

Social media is making this launch both great and then you get stuff like this.

Wasn't like that in the last launch cycle.

Relax. Let's put stuff through the numbers.

Concerns over some failure rates shown among journalist-gifted PS4s? It's fair to assume that there's anywhere from 100-200 PS4s given to the media over the course of the past few weeks. We've heard issues from... 5 of them? Realistically, that's a 2-5% failure rate.

Taco Bell PS4s? That's 4,000 PS4s distributed, and we've heard... 10 defect issues? Let's give the benefit of the doubt that not everyone are social media frenzies and that the reported issues are only 30% of the actual problems. That's 30 defective PS4s out of 4000. Around 7%.

PS4s already at game outlets? There's probably hundreds of those, and... we've heard single digits too. Single digit percentage defects there.

Nothing out of the ordinary so far. Even less if the problems are caused by software quirks.

We'd find out a lot earlier if there were major serious issues with PS4 hardware in that it can barely last a day before crapping out. The hardware has been out in the wild for a while now in different shapes and forms.

I'd expect a pretty high failure rate on GPU's for the Xbox One and PS4, ATI(AMD) have always had high failure rates on GPU's, I used to build PC's and probably 1 in 5 brand new ATI Graphics Cards would be DOA.

this thread need more Banderas.

t3MHnEY.gif

Updated the OP with more information:

EDIT: So I don't raise a panic. There are seven reported cases of defective Playstation 4 consoles. There were about 4000 winners of the Taco Bell contest. Plus media outlets that received a retail unit earlier in the week.

Defective Units

NeoGaffer Dylx: Was downloading an update for Battlefield 4
2 or 3 from Reddit: Unknown specifics
Twitch Streamer: Was downloading DCUO when it stalled. He unplugged the console. It wouldn't work properly after that.
1 IGN unit: See below
1 Kotaku unit: "Here are the facts: In the past week, my Kotaku colleagues and I have used one pre-release PS4 and three retail PS4s with no problems. I've also heard from fellow gaming reporters who've used their PS4s with no problems. But the first retail unit that Sony provided me failed to work when I plugged it into a TV in Kotaku's office. A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into. It couldn't make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn't transmit a stable signal to our TV. We tried different cables and monitors. The issue was with the console." http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231

Top Bottom