• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

Izayoi

Banned
Why do I see people mentioning that this game will be similar to Demon's/Dark Souls? What evidence is there to suggest this?
Wishful thinking at its absolute finest. There is zero evidence, only fantasy. Destiny is going to be a lot like Huxley was supposed to be, from the sounds of it. A big hub area with cooperative missions (similar to dungeons in MMOs, this is especially apparent by there being a "Raid" option in the main menu) and arena-based PvP. It sounds like there might be some open-world missions as well, with some kind of dynamic drop-in/out mechanics.

It's not a terrible idea, and if Bungie does it right it could be really awesome, but people should not be getting their hopes up for anything even remotely similar to a Souls game.

Aaron

The no-PC thing is pretty surprising to me, because given the MMO-like nature of the game, it seems the kind of thing that would be much better-suited to PC than consoles.
To make a PC port, they would have to build the game to support a wide range of configurations, and also test them. Since Bungie hasn't done that for a long ass time, it's probably pretty difficult to build up the infrastructure. Most likely it'll happen, but be outsourced.

I hope it releases this year. According to press the game is far from finished which worry me.if they gonna release it this year it's not gonna be November since that reserved for COD. It's either october or early next year.

The press has also been saying that they barely saw anymore of the game than we did, so I'll take the statements that they'll be surprised if it's released this year with a fat grain of salt.

Anyone know if this is next-gen consoles too, or just strictly PS360? If it's PS360, it'd be really disheartening.

I was glad this was more akin to a lobby-based MMO, than a traditional open world space. I hope there's enough content and progression to keep you coming back, since they did mention a "10 year" plan / life.

Anyone know if this is next-gen consoles too, or just strictly PS360? If it's PS360, it'd be really disheartening.

I was glad this was more akin to a lobby-based MMO, than a traditional open world space. I hope there's enough content and progression to keep you coming back, since they did mention a "10 year" plan / life.

They can't really announce it for something that technically doesn't exist yet. I'm sure we'll see this on orbis and durango once they're official

Dirtbag

I really dont get the planetside comparison at all.

We haven't been told or even hinted at massive scale multiplayer battles.
It sounds more like small parties that cross paths across a campaign.

If its supposed to be like planetside because there are factions / vehicles / sci-fi / customization then that can be compared to any number of games.

nashb81

Neo Member
The no-PC thing is pretty surprising to me, because given the MMO-like nature of the game, it seems the kind of thing that would be much better-suited to PC than consoles.

I don't know why but I'm surprised the game was announced for the PS3 as well. I assumed Xbox 360 and PC.

To make a PC port, they would have to build the game to support a wide range of configurations, and also test them. Since Bungie hasn't done that for a long ass time, it's probably pretty difficult to build up the infrastructure. Most likely it'll happen, but be outsourced.

It is, but I think Bungie has the resources to pull this off. I know I'm in the minority here but I just can't play shooters on consoles anymore, so it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a long, long time.

Shinta

Banned
Destructoid said:
Some humans survived, however, thanks to the Traveler, a big floating round entity that sacrificed itself and hangs above Earth where it made its last stand.

People came together to rebuild a new city under the Traveler's protection, and soon humans once again ventured back into space to reclaim what was once theirs.
Sounds a lot like FFXIII actually, and Cocoon. Pretty awesome.
Destructoid said:
Players will take on the role of a Guardian, a special soldier that is able to wield some of the radical powers of the Traveler.
Kind of sounds like a l'cie getting branded and being able to use magic.

original.jpg
116615.png
Looks a hell of a lot like FFXIII too. Even has the same kind of damage to the sphere that Cocoon does.

RoKKeR

The press has also been saying that they barely saw anymore of the game than we did, so I'll take the statements that they'll be surprised if it's released this year with a fat grain of salt.
Very good point. Bungie is a massive and experienced studio, and I'm sure they're able to buckle down and finish the game. Personally, is be surprised if it didn't come out this year. They'd miss a huge opportunity in holiday sales and the launch of next gen consoles.

RoKKeR

More if you count when Jason Jones disappeared and went into pre production, imagining all this stuff I assume. I need a Destiny avatar no one has chosen!
I made a bunch and posted them in this thread. Somewhere around page 35-40. Feel free to take any of those that aren't being used.

Edit: Page 36

El_Chino

More if you count when Jason Jones disappeared and went into pre production, imagining all this stuff I assume. I need a Destiny avatar no one has chosen!

That's a long development time, I can't imagine Bungie is still so far off that 2013 is not possible. They wouldn't have revealed so early if the game was releasing next year.

Killer

Banned

Yeah I guess you're right. Man I'd pissed if they flew me over there to see 30 seconds of gameplay.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My thoughts on the reveal and what we have thus far. Long post warning ahead of time. I haven't had time to parse through this thread, so apologies if I'm missing something huge:

General
  • Jason Jones scheming Destiny since Halo 2 is pretty crazy.
  • Definitely agree with Ryan from IGN on this one, the big question here is, how will they distinguish this from Halo? Early reports still said it played like Halo, but I'm wondering how much the final product will even feel different from Halo. When you work on something that long, it could be hard to distinguish what feels right from what you know. By all means, I have no problem if it plays like Halo, but I really want to know what the defining mechanics of this as a shooter is. What sets it apart, and what has made Jason Jones want to make this for so long? Ryan put it more succinctly, what does Bungie feel the genre needs at the moment?
  • The mobile apps having the options to customize in-game gear, cosmetics and weaponry is mighty impressive
  • No sub is great. Internet connection required, kind of upset about that though because my internet is shit, and it poses a bigger problem for people on XBL silver. In general, the amount of issues that can potentially create is a red flag, and I can't be down with that. It also makes me a sad panda for the prospects of splitscreen, which are probably completely out the door.
  • I'm kinda torn on buying this. More specifically, what I'm going to buy it on. Ryan seems to be hinting quite heavily that much of the profile data will be held server-side and that a low install base on Durango would point towards this likely allowing 360 players to play with 720 players, but we'll see. I personally think it's unlikely, that's why I'm torn as to whether I should just buy it this fall or wait till I pick up a 720 a year from now. Or, I should give in and double dip, but I would rather not. Ugh :(
  • I know people expected gameplay -and you got some of that too- but damn, they dumped a TON of info today, hard not for me to be disappointed.

Aesthetics
  • I don't know what it is, but I've become completely bored with the ruined architecture look that has swept across gaming with the advent of HD. But for some reason, Bungie makes them look interesting. And that's done partially by not making the entire game full of drab, destroyed scenerys. The variety is quite admirable, and it's great that Bungie is still there to give the middle finger to their contemporary's grey and brown colour palettes.
  • The UI looks sexy as fuck. It's like a better metro. Also glad to see the second friends pane is still there in full force. Was great when they first did it, and I feel it should be a standard for all FPSs TBH. Some games are picking up on it though.
  • The rough in-engine stuff we've seen thus far looks like it's being done on current gen tech. If it is indeed running on Durango, well I can't call it anything less than a disappointment, but I doubt that.
  • Old Chicago seems like a neat idea for a location. Wonder what they'll do with that to make it interesting.
  • Looks really rough in a lot of the shots. Definitely a work in progress, but maybe they should've held off longer on the video like they're doing for screenshots. Looked really good in some shots though. Definitely think it was 360 and PS3 footage.

Lore
  • I love how they're handling The Traveler ATM. Completely shrouded in mystery, with not a hint of why it's there or it's purpose, despite them expanding on what it means for everything else surrounding it.
  • Another big question is what are all these alien races after on Earth? I have a feeling that will be central to the plot, and the reason the Traveller chose that specific location to protect has a lot to do with it. I can see us eventually fighting in the depths of The City to uncover what is they are after somewhere near the climax of one of the games.
  • Vex: The Vex look really cool. Reminded me of Geth at first, but they really have their own aura. A lot of the design evokes power: tribal, large, cymbal-looking heads, large torsos with recessed eyes, they really look badass. I think a lot can be done with their design if put into heavier units, etc. Still not down with the time traveling robots nonsense. As I mentioned before, the concept art shows them dripping lava, from which they probably emerged from, which could make for some variety in gameplay and encounters.
  • Cabal: These do nothing for me. They just look ugly and over-engineered. Maybe that's the point, but they don't look cool. They do look really different in different pieces of concept art though. Pass.
  • The Fallen: They look badass, what can I say. Curious as to what you can do with 4 arms with gameplay though. From what the concept art shows, I don't think they'll be crawling around like they're Spider Tanks though, and I can't see much beyond quad-wielding. Even dual-wielding is kind-of overrated, so that doesn't really excite me.
  • Space Zombies: Zombies suck, no matter the incarnation. Pass.
  • Overall, I can see the Star Wars/Star Trek influences at work. Multiple different races of enemies make me feel like Bungie is ready to develop more and more enemy races to fit their needs AND creative desires over time by making them somewhat more expendable and less crucial to the plot than The Covenant and Flood were in Halo. Over the 10 years they can build new races to keep things fresh, and juggle an existing pool of them for gameplay purposes and more. Much like Star Trek and Star Wars, they can introduce new races for the sake of variety whenever they please. I feel this is what they referred to in the ViDoc as "something that has enough ideas in it to last us 10 years" and them "only being limited by creativity."

Gameplay/Features
  • From the looks of the mobile app that's being developed, people will be able to equip 3 weapons at a time. That's interesting. Obviously could just be for testing modules though.
  • Having the ability to make multiple characters is great. These things you take for granted at times.
  • Guilds being confirmed is cool, I wonder how they'll integrate with the faction system and races.
  • Talk of a game that has it's own nature and elements they don't control is quite a tease. Sounds a lot like the first tease we got of Destiny with the sands and the talk of a world you can build. I wonder what they're referring to specifically, and what kind of impact individuals will have on the world beyond my guild's dick being bigger than yours'.
  • Blue Halo 4-like portals... Well I guess that's how they're going to handle fast travel.
  • Guns don't look particularly interesting, probably because they're modular in design to either be very customizable or Borderlands-ish in nature.
  • No main menu is weird as hell.. I'd still rather have that buffer there before I jump in, but it's not a huge deal and could be for the better.
  • By far the coolest thing about Destiny is that you can have your own customizable ship you can fly around in. Everyone was speculating what A Long Night In Solace was teasing or was a test for, and I couldn't ask for more than this. Flying around the Solar System with your own customized spaceship and participating in space battles? And customizable vehicles otherwise too? Fuck. Yes.
  • The presence of unique weapons you'll find with names makes me feel more and more like this is the Borderlands killer Randy Pitchford was talking about being developed in the industry. Also weapon drops and loot system pretty much confirmed.
  • Not sure how I feel about people using mobile apps being able to affect the game of their friends as they're playing. The less auxiliary influence a game has, the better IMO.
  • Seems like there's some sort of Destiny points system that is attached to each character. At least one reward seems to be completing a quest/raid.
  • No way there are only 3 classes. I expect a tank and engineer class at the very least.
  • Warlock class is still begging the question as to how that will control, and if there is a dedicated button (likely), what function will that serve in other classes? I think a class-specific ability button is a cool idea.
  • Some of the guns having that arching-up-at-the-back motif is something that leads me to believe there will be gun manufacturers like Borderlands too.
  • Day & night cycles being confirmed is an awesome touch. Probably means dynamic lighting. I wonder how this will affect gameplay, environments, dungeons, and the lot though. Such as lights turning on at night to compensate, creating stealth opportunities, etc.
  • Competitive multiplayer being only described as "opt-in" makes me feel like it'll be heavily integrated into the world itself, not sure how I feel about having to go jump to a specific location in-game to start up matchmaking.

Overall, my early worries have been mostly overwhelmed by the amount of positive news here. I'm in. Give me my fucking spaceship and let me customize the shit out of it to go fight Klingons.

After reading up on it I am definitely interested in this but their reveal was underwhelming. I am pretty sure the footage we saw was on current gen. The art for the worlds look fantastic but the hero art looks kinda bland.

Not exactly what I meant but basically why is the armour so generic.

GamerSoul

Nice write up Enzo, I have not been following anything related to Destiny so it help me get an idea of what they have shown so far. You had me at Borderlands, man. lol. The overall aesthetics remind me a bit of Mass Effect but at the same time it's fresh. The lore has me intrigued, which is rare for me. Any game with decent customization is my type of game.

I was talking with a friend last night over XBL and here's an idea:
I think we'll see the gameplay footage and/or more info on the NextBox reveal and/or MS E3 press conference because I'm almost certain that MS will grab some sort of exclusivity with this (X360/NextBox) be it timed exclusive, some sort of special DLC-like thing, etc.

Is this something that's possible GAF?

I'm interested to see how the out of game stuff folds into the game. I'd love to have a small minigame to play on my phone while on the bus or during breaks that could potentially change my character in the game.

Jac_Solar

This game is First person view only, right? I wonder if that will become a bit of an annoyance, or even issue for some people, since getting loot for your character is a big part of PvE in MMO's. Maybe there will be some sort of support for 3rd person view like in Skyrim.

Or perhaps they've gone the Borderlands route, and made weapons a huge part of the loot system. (Would that be good enough for the loot aspect of an MMO?)

This game is First person view only, right? I wonder if that will become a bit of an annoyance, or even issue for some people, since getting loot for your character is a big part of PvE in MMO's. Maybe there will be some sort of support for 3rd person view like in Skyrim.

Or perhaps they've gone the Borderlands route, and made weapons a huge part of the loot system. (Would that be good enough for the loot aspect of an MMO?)

it's 3rd person in common area's (like halo when holding 2 handed weapons), its also hinted at that weapons might be modular. Askalon and FOTC are thought to be manufactures.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
I am excited! Lots of info to eat up and well, it's a lot better than the usual reveals ala E3 announcement trailers (and we don't officially have that yet!) and well considering the leaks too. Interesting concepts, have to agree I felt Borderlands vibes from this but a much more serious story and varied locations. Having your own spaceship and persistent multiplayer sounds awesome!

The mobile integration looks fine, and from the ViDoc Jason sounded so excited about people working to together -- I'm more worried about the trolls and how the "multiplayer" works (just randoms running in and out of your world?). Bungie said they've been working on the tools for this for about 4 years, so surely the release date has to be this year right?

Reading and watching some of the previews, I kind of agree this could of been zipped up and sent via email. Then again, I'd happily take any one of the journalists spots to visit Bungie HQ and learn about Destiny.

Oh and that music is amazing, go Marty!

HooYaH

People are going to be sorely disappointed if they think their spaceship will fly in space ala Eve. It's probably a fast travel and used for space combat ala Halo series. Just hope it isn't like SWTOR which will disappoint everyone and people will just not even play that aspect of the game.

TheOddOne

My biggest gripe with this reveal was that it was more focused on the social aspects and Bungie as a studio. It’s feels like more of sales pitch on what will contribute to Destiny being great (I’m convinced it will be great though, Bungie is all kinds of awesome). While all the info coming out is nice, it is usually side information you see at a lot of reveals. We saw little of the actual game and I still don’t fully know what it is. Still hyped, but that was not a real reveal.

El_Chino

My biggest gripe with this reveal was that it was more focused on the social aspects and Bungie as a studio. It’s feels like more of sales pitch on what will contribute to Destiny being great (I’m convinced it will be great though, Bungie is all kinds of awesome). While all the info coming out is nice, it is usually side information you see at a lot of reveals. We saw little of the actual game and I still don’t fully know what it is. Still hyped, but that was not a real reveal.

Could it be possible we'd get more info from say a Gameinformer cover story soon?

People are going to be sorely disappointed if they think their spaceship will fly in space ala Eve. It's probably a fast travel and used for space combat ala Halo series. Just hope it isn't like SWTOR which will disappoint everyone and people will just not even play that aspect of the game.

Yeah, I really doubt we are going to get manual space travel.

Pineconn

Alright. I'm going to say it.

"ViDoc" is the dumbest fake word. It's like a hokey sci-fi term: "Dexter Nanofuchs plugged his zybernerve into the holonet. The usual lasersports and ViDocs were playing." Every time I see this awful word I want to call 911 to report a battery of language. Oh, it's a documentary? On video? Well stick me in a MJOLNIR suit and call me Sally, I couldn't have guessed.

Video Documentary = ViDoc
Audio Song = AudSong
Paint Painting = PaPaint

Oh my god, I cackled out loud with fury. Thanks guys, my roommates probably think I'm boozing. :p

glaurung

I was never a huge fan of the Halo universe, the game representation never manifested itself as the high science fiction that they were aiming at.

Having said that, I like what I am seeing with Destiny. It looks properly epic at this stage and their ambition for a 10 year game cycle is impressive. It could prove to be the best thing ever. Then again, it could also be just a cheapo gimmick, sending game messages via smartphones and minimal interaction with other players using non-console means.

History has shown that ambitious, epic science fiction stories have a habit of backfiring horribly. Cases in point: Advent Rising. Too Human.

Still, curious to see more.

HooYaH

I was never a huge fan of the Halo universe, the game representation never manifested itself as the high science fiction that they were aiming at.

Having said that, I like what I am seeing with Destiny. It looks properly epic at this stage and their ambition for a 10 year game cycle is impressive. It could prove to be the best thing ever. Then again, it could also be just a cheapo gimmick, sending game messages via smartphones and minimal interaction with other players using non-console means.

History has shown that ambitious, epic science fiction stories have a habit of backfiring horribly. Cases in point: Advent Rising. Too Human.

Still, curious to see more.

It's quite funny that this game might take up three generations of consoles. This, Next, and Next Next Gen. It's also weird that we may not play this game in 6-7 years on a console but on a tablet of some sort.

Top Bottom