• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF12 makes me realize even more how bad 15 is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

This isn't even his first, this is his 3rd thread talking about XV.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360451&highlight=
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1364473&highlight=

Note I'm not saying one can't complain about XV, but 3 separate threads about it basically.

IOBKJ90.png

Is FFXV a "bad game" in the same way GAF calls MGSV a "bad game?" Because MGSV was a very good game.

FFXV isn't a bad game. It's a disappointing game to a lot of people. For Final Fantasy fans that makes it worse than it actually is.

I found it to be enjoyable but was left pretty damn disappointed by the story.

TheChaos

It's because contingents of GAF occasionally have a hard-on for Japanese games that don't "act" or "look" Japanese so they can feel less yucky about liking them.

More like those games avoid the usual embarrassing anime tropes that make players feel "yucky".

I'm currently playing through FF XII and yeah, it's an amazing game, till it reachs it's second half, which is almost the same problem with FF XV IMO but for different reasons.

Ferr986

Thank. You.

Seriously, I bought ARR and Heavensward of xmas Steam sale because of how highly praised it is on here.

I made it through ten hours of absolute shit-tier mmo fetch quests with minimal story/cutscenes/narrative and thought everyone who liked that game was brainwashed.

Idk, maybe HW and Storm whatever are way better, but the whole "just trudge your way through all the garbage to get to level 50" is an absolute deal breaker.

It's really too bad because I wanted to like that game so much.

As someone who absolutely hates FFXIV:ARR story (as much as to say XV was better in that regard), Heavensward is way WAY better.

Everyone talks about the Titan quest but all of ARR story is a big empty previsible and cliche of a plot. It especially sucks if you played 1.0. because they dumbed down the characters (Gaius especially). But Heavensward is worth pushing on, if you ask me.

Comparing 12 and 15 are so different, it isn't really worth comparing the 2. Like comparing bowling and baseball.... I mean they both have a ball or a chocobo in there somewhere, maybe some beer or a phoenix down is involved in some way. Other than that, two different sports.

Right, or like comparing a moderately enjoyable sport to getting peed on.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Every FF since (including) 12 has been so plagued with dev problems, and god can you tell when you play them. I dunno what it's going to take to get a solid and competently made FF again in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens, I feel like they'd have to gut Square from stem to stern to even have a chance.

I don't want to invoke Sonic here but... yeah.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is FFXV a "bad game" in the same way GAF calls MGSV a "bad game?" Because MGSV was a very good game.

Having played both I'll answer this as honestly as I can.

MGSV has a fantastic combat system and feels great to play. However theres too much filler and time wasting in there combined with a lackluster nonexisten story which disappointed fans because MGS has always had a huge focus on story.

FFXV is a decent game that can be fun if you enjoy the combat and sightseeing. There's spectacle but the game just feels blatantly incomplete. Pacing is a mess, important plot points are glossed over or outright ignored leading to a very jarring experience.

Xenoblade beat XII at everything
xenoblade trucking sucked
still better than FFXV though. At least it had a story

As someone who absolutely hates FFXIV:ARR story (as much as to say XV was better in that regard), Heavensward is way WAY better.

Everyone talks about the Titan quest but all of ARR story is a big empty previsible and cliche of a plot. It especially sucks if you played 1.0. because they dumbed down the characters (Gaius especially). But Heavensward is worth pushing on, if you ask me.

1.0 story was fucking dope. And combat was better. Well 1.18 combat. Game was a broken fucking pile, but still had more fun with it than I did with anything in ARR. Not going to bother to try heavensward or stormblood.

Lynx_7

Since this is now the hot take thread, even Rogue Galaxy was a better Star Wars ripoff than XII. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Storywise P3 is better than those two combined.

Of course you'd say that, Minato.
I guess I should take this opportunity to say that I don't find P3's story to be anything special until the very tail end of the game, by which point it's a little too late to compensate for all the downtime.

jwhit28

Having played both I'll answer this as honestly as I can.

MGSV has a fantastic combat system and feels great to play. However theres too much filler and time wasting in there combined with a lackluster nonexisten story which disappointed fans because MGS has always had a huge focus on story.

FFXV is a decent game that can be fun if you enjoy the combat and sightseeing. There's spectacle but the game just feels blatantly incomplete. Pacing is a mess, important plot points are glossed over or outright ignored leading to a very jarring experience.

Yeah MGSV was unfinshed but nailed it's core gameplay going all the way back to Ground Zeros. I couldn't find a reason to keep going in FFXV.

Rad-

FFXII was top 10 best JRPGs for me even when it was released. Then came IZJS and it got into my top 5. The remake? Might be in top 3 for me now, just beating out FFVI which drops to number 4.

The Dude

This isn't even his first, this is his 3rd thread talking about XV.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360451&highlight=
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1364473&highlight=

Note I'm not saying one can't complain about XV, but 3 separate threads about it basically.

And each have their own different context. XV is the new gun in town, yes its part of my final fanstasy discussions.... Deal with it.

Also I think it's overall pathetic when users like to go and randomly dig thru someone's threads to try and throw it in someone's face, I mean why don't you get something more productive to do with your time.

People make posts here nonstop, I couldn't give a mother fuck how many times they've mentioned a game and I sure as hell wouldn't go dig thru and see what other posts they have on the subject lol who does that? Seems like a butt hurt move.

It's because contingents of GAF occasionally have a hard-on for Japanese games that don't "act" or "look" Japanese so they can feel less yucky about liking them.

Cute. One day you'll get over other people liking stuff that you don't. It's no different than having different kinds of Manga, you know (different art styles, different demographics, different aesthetics). Not every Japanese game should have a certain look or fit a paradigm of what you think it should (as in the generic anime stylings). Japanese games are more diverse then that, thankfully...

Since this is now the hot take thread, even Rogue Galaxy was a better Star Wars ripoff than XII. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I liked Rogue Galaxy until you got all three keys and fought Seed. Was disappointed that the game about Space Pirates had no pirating in it at all. It was the same "Save the World" plot of any RPG.

Haven't finished XII yet, (just reached the snowy mountain area) so I may end up feeling cold on this one too. So far I love it.

I'm not far into XII (Nalbina Dungeon), but I am not having a good time. I (so far) hate the combat system so much I'd rather be playing FFXV's chaotic mess of a system. You guys gotta reaffirm me that the combat system gets much better than it is once I start unlocking spells/abilities etc.

I also hate having to waste LP on the license to wear a necklace. It's a fucking necklace! Whose permission do I need to wear a damn accessory?

Ray Down

Banned

Ehh

FF12 I sort of gave a shit about the characters, I can't really say the same for RG.

Always felt something was off with that game and I really don't know how to put it.

Marcel

Cute. One day you'll get over other people liking stuff that you don't. It's no different than having different kinds of Manga, you know (different art styles, different demographics, different aesthetics). Not every Japanese game should have a certain look or fit a paradigm of what you think it should (as in the generic anime stylings). Japanese games are more diverse then that, thankfully...

I don't think FF has been a great single player series since it left PS1 so I ultimately don't care what FFs people like or dislike after that one. We're just having discussions.

XV is a half-baked mess through and through. Had they stuck with open-world from beginning till the end, it would have been much better. It tries to do so many different things, introducing so many characters but in the end none of those reaches their potential. Like, I played till the end and I still don't give a damn about Luna, because the game never really gives me enough of her character to care about.

TheChaos

If the presence of tropes makes you forego a good game or good piece of media then you are one hell of a joyless person.

It's not the tropes, dude. It's the sexist, homophobic, pervy ones that permeate most (not all) Japanese games nowadays. I have a hard time recommending Persona 5 to any of my friends because of it.

it rules that FF12's CG intro and Reks tutorial nail all of the relevant plot points of Kingsglaive but far more cogently and in a fraction of the time

Caronte

Once you reach Level 50 and beyond? Sure.

Before that it's pretty boring.

"Oh, you just defeated TWO godlike beings? Awesome! Go fetch some items for this banquet"

I almost burned out before the game really got good. Glad I stuck with it but damn.

I'm at that point in the game and yeah, it's fucking awful. I really hope it gets better soon or I'll probably just give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom