• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Corpekata

Banned
Chasm only hit Alpha like 20 days ago and shouldn't be out to anyone but like industry insider types. So you must be thinking of another game or some very early proof of concept.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I had the same thought lol. Pretty sure the only thing that ever came out of that game was basically like a tech demo.

The main problem with parrying is that the enemy design just doesn't mesh well with having to pull off perfect timing. Way too many enemies attack at the same time, and a ton of them have ranged attacks, teleport, or do some other crazyness that is pretty much impossible to effectively time a parry against. It's not like the souls games where combat is slower paced and very methodical.

I'm not even saying that I want to use shields, but since they are in the game I think they should at least make them viable. I mean why not let us be able to turtle behind a shield and tank some hits, when we can already just stand on a ledge and just drop bombs, traps, critters, and whatever else on groups of enemies without even having to worry about being touched at all.

The parry timing doesn't seem super strict but you're very right that enemies attack in too many ways all at once for parrying to be a strong option in a lot of situations. And when it's just one enemy, why parry when you can roll behind them and kill them in a second? Or kill them with one of the many ranged options you're likely to have?

If a shield provided a second or two of invulnerability and allowed you to get to safety when swarmed by enemies, then it might be worth having instead of a weapon.

I can't believe after like 8 patches since release the stutter is still there. It's maddening because I think the game is fantastic, but this constant stutter in a reflex-intensive game like this is just too frustrating.

Agreed. It should be the first thing they fix. It's infuriating.

Iscariot

I don't keep up with that stuff but I've had it for probably a year. Maybe it still is Alpha then.

I *think* what you have is the tech slice they had about 4 years ago when they did the Kickstarter campaign.

I'd expect the release to be quite different at this point. (whenever that might be, this year hopefully).

Ishmae1

56 cells and 2 rare blueprints lost to a stupid input mistake.

Arrgh.

Has anyone found more than 2 runes? I've
beaten the first boss on the bridge and gone a few areas past that at furthest
but only have the two (teleport and vines) so far.

The game is in need of some randomization logic on items so that bonuses make more sense (+%damage on freeze weapons / spells is pointless), better balance on the bonuses levels make on items / weapons so that the higher level stuff was on average actually better than lower ones, and it would be great to know if you've cleared an area of all blueprints so you could just move on and concentrate on different ones.

Amazing start for an early-access game though. Very playable.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
56 cells and 2 rare blueprints lost to a stupid input mistake.

Arrgh.

Has anyone found more than 2 runes? I've
beaten the first boss on the bridge and gone a few areas past that at furthest
but only have the two (teleport and vines) so far.

The game is in need of some randomization logic on items so that bonuses make more sense (+%damage on freeze weapons / spells is pointless), better balance on the bonuses levels make on items / weapons so that the higher level stuff was on average actually better than lower ones, and it would be great to know if you've cleared an area of all blueprints so you could just move on and concentrate on different ones.

Amazing start for an early-access game though. Very playable.

Freeze bow does a little bit of damage, and there are no percentage bonuses on the frost blast spell that I've seen.

Xyber

I can't believe after like 8 patches since release the stutter is still there. It's maddening because I think the game is fantastic, but this constant stutter in a reflex-intensive game like this is just too frustrating.

Hmm.. Can't remember a single hitch while playing on my PC. On my laptop I get a bit of stutter, but it's also a $600 laptop with some crappy Intel GPU so I'm not surprised. Didn't think it would run at all when I first tried. :p

KarmaCow

1. This game is something special. Believe the hype.

2. Curses. Not even once.

Yea Curse Chests and Elite enemies rarely seem worth it since the reward is just a random weapon pulled from the item pool everything else pulls from. If I'm struggling for weapons, it seems like too much of a risk and if I do have good gear equipped for the challenge, the reward isn't worth it.

Yea Curse Chests and Elite enemies rarely seem worth it since the reward is just a random weapon pulled from the item pool everything else pulls from. If I'm struggling for weapons, it seems like too much of a risk and if I do have good gear equipped for the challenge, the reward isn't worth it.

The *real* fun is breaking down the doors you're supposed to pay to enter - the "extra life" amulet ones have a 40 kill curse, which makes it a very different game.

Xyber

Some random curses with some being less harsh than others would perhaps make me try to grab a chest every now and then. Some curses that makes you take maybe 50-100% more damage for x amount of enemies, something that drains your health slowly for x amount of enemies but you regain some for every enemy you kill, your weapon deals less damage etc.

Some less severe ones that makes you think that the reward might actually be worth it, or you can get unlucky and get the one-hit death.

Right now I just ignore them unless it's on the first level where I am confident I can get through it fine, unless I have already found a good weapon.

Kymbo

After about 6 hours playing i finally realised you have to use cells to unlock the different weapons/abilities! I was wondering why i wasn't getting any different bits and bobs.
The damage buff and electric whip are a great combo...
Made it to the graveyard and was doing alright, but then a giant dude just appeared and pretty much one-shotted me.
Between this and Everspace i am having a lot of fun this weekend!

duppolo

Some random curses with some being less harsh than others would perhaps make me try to grab a chest every now and then. Some curses that makes you take maybe 50-100% more damage for x amount of enemies, something that drains your health slowly for x amount of enemies but you regain some for every enemy you kill, your weapon deals less damage etc.

Some less severe ones that makes you think that the reward might actually be worth it, or you can get unlucky and get the one-hit death.

Right now I just ignore them unless it's on the first level where I am confident I can get through it fine, unless I have already found a good weapon.

this!

Gattsu25

Banned
This game is freaking amazing, btw.

Bought it after hearing it mentioned on Waypoint Radio and it's even better than Patrick made it seem.

The combat is probably the most satisfying 2D combat I've played.

Edit: According to steam I'm already at 9 hours played split between just two sittings.

duppolo

guys, if u buy all the potion, backpack and shield upgrade did u unlock something? i ask this cause i dont care about random shield, but if that will unlock something i will do it

Finally managed to beat the final (for now) boss, he's a bit of a pain but not really that tough if you've already been careful and leveled up a lot at that point.

I actually started over with a new save file and played the system a bit by only unlocking and leveling essential things (purse and vial upgrades, starter weapon unlocks and a couple of weapons) and pretty much didn't unlock anything else, which in turn greatly increases the chance of getting the whip and damage buffs. Basically, having a decent level whip with two damage buffers, level 6-7 strength and 3-4 skills makes you pretty OP, most of the time one or two hit killing everything in your path while interchanging between activating the two damage buffers which keeps you powered almost all the time. There's also the 2x damage dealt, 2x damage received weapon modifier, but it's not worth it since it's almost like being cursed, especially on the later levels.

I should probably try it out now with different weapons and self impose some restrictions, but man that whip is good.

Really well done game, I've had a blast with it so far.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Only thing keeping me from buying this game is the fear that I will be tired of it before it is actually finished.

How much time would you want out of it before you felt the purchase was worth it? For what it's worth, I have 15 hours, I'm pretty close to the final boss on my runs and have all but 4 blueprints unlocked. I definitely feel like I got my money's worth.

I'm really loving this. It's an improvement on Rogue Legacy.

I don't feel like I've got the mobility down yet; I have killed a couple bosses and gotten two runes. But I don't think I would have been able to beat them if I didn't take several HP buffs. The jump is low but long. It's very difficult to jump over a charging enemy. I am not yet used to the dodge roll, especially for enemies like an elite archer who spawns zombies. It's hard to close that gap with a dodge roll because if you come out of the roll out of melee range of the archer, you'll probably get hit by a zombie.

The farthest I've gotten is the Graveyard I believe, and I'm really enjoying the game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Finally managed to beat the final (for now) boss, he's a bit of a pain but not really that tough if you've already been careful and leveled up a lot at that point.

I actually started over with a new save file and played the system a bit by only unlocking and leveling essential things (purse and vial upgrades, starter weapon unlocks and a couple of weapons) and pretty much didn't unlock anything else, which in turn greatly increases the chance of getting the whip and damage buffs. Basically, having a decent level whip with two damage buffers, level 6-7 strength and 3-4 skills makes you pretty OP, most of the time one or two hit killing everything in your path while interchanging between activating the two damage buffers which keeps you powered almost all the time. There's also the 2x damage dealt, 2x damage received weapon modifier, but it's not worth it since it's almost like being cursed, especially on the later levels.

I should probably try it out now with different weapons and self impose some restrictions, but man that whip is good.

Really well done game, I've had a blast with it so far.

Sounds like something I'll try once I beat it.

I'm currently in awe at the sheer damage of the Phaser+Rapier (or Assassin's Blade) combo

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Since this is more or less the OT, here's the latest update (currently available in a beta build).

Some of the highlights:

New weapons, including mace, torches, spear etc.
New active skills, including Ceil Turret or Vampirism.
Achievements! There are awesome. Like statistics, we will add more with the next updates.
Turrets and most deployable traps (like Meat Grinder) now require you to be at medium range to operate. If you go too far away, they will simply not work until you get closer again.
2 new enemies have been added
A mysterious character has been added in sewer depths
Your rolls can now break doors
You can now electrify mobs standing in water
The spear is now twice faster to use and has a small dash effect
Lightning whip range has been slightly reduced
More rooms added to add variety in runs (especially in Prison Cells)
Having already played a few runs, the change to the spear's speed is extremely noticeable and makes it much more viable to use. The change to the whip's range isn't as noticeable.

I saw some guys saying on yahoo answers (I know) that developers announced on their steam page that this game is coming to everywhere but Vita and 3DS, any truth to that?

Man, this game is really solid feeling to play. I loved the concept of Rogue Legacy but control issues is what eventually put me off it. Just basic control inputs seemed to not register in RL. Dead Cells feels incredibly satisfying. Haven't had this feeling since SOTN. I am so trash at this game, but having a lot of fun.

Wait, blue prints don't count unless you make it to the collector...noooooooo! My other question, when you get a new weapon in your upgrade tree, and the first level doesn't show a damage % upgrade, just white text description, is that first upgrade tier just to add it to the loot pool in the game?

I saw some guys saying on yahoo answers (I know) that developers announced on their steam page that this game is coming to everywhere but Vita and 3DS, any truth to that?

If that's true, I will double-dip on the Switch in a heartbeat. Absolutely perfect game for that.

My other question, when you get a new weapon in your upgrade tree, and the first level doesn't show a damage % upgrade, just white text description, is that first upgrade tier just to add it to the loot pool in the game?

Yes, I believe that is the case. I think it says "weapon unlocked!" or something similar.

I beat the (current) final boss just now. Woooo!

He was kind of easy though. I mean, I still almost died, but it was the first time I fought him. I guess some combos are OP.

This was my setup at the end:

5D43BF743C84A7E04E661A0F247170FD2BBD9792

Up until this run, I thought the Death Orb suuuucked. Except, look at its DPS here... It was amazing.

dock

Out of interest, is there more to this game than the combat?

I played it for about 40 mins but it seems to be almost entirely about the combat and nothing else, especially as all the environments seem pretty basic with plain flat surfaces.

Geedorah

I played it for about 40 mins but it seems to be almost entirely about the combat and nothing else, especially as all the environments seem pretty basic with plain flat surfaces.

What kind of content are you expecting/hoping for? It is a rogue-like - with all dying/restarting, I wouldn't expect much of a dialogue/plot :/ It is a game about pushing yourself to get further and unlock more items to make that process easier. So yea, I guess it is all about the combat? Seems super reductionist to me though...

If you're asking if there are more platforming-style bits, not really (as far as I've seen.) There are areas with more spikes / treacherous jumps, but that's pretty much it. That's why the upgrades are all combat-focused (with very few exceptions) - the fun is in figuring out the interplay between weapons and skills, and utilizing what you have in a given run.

dock

I'm sorry for being reductionist with my reference to combat. I appreciate that combat is a big deal to some people, but any game with more combat than anything else has always fell flat with me. I don't enjoy Bayonetta either, for example, because there's only so much I enjoy attacking people. Dark Souls doesn't feel like this to me, tbh.

If you're asking if there are more platforming-style bits, not really (as far as I've seen.) There are areas with more spikes / treacherous jumps, but that's pretty much it. That's why the upgrades are all combat-focused (with very few exceptions) - the fun is in figuring out the interplay between weapons and skills, and utilizing what you have in a given run.
Yeah, I think I was probably hoping for more interesting environments and platforming, and some more interplay with objects. I've enjoyed a bunch of traditional roguelikes before, and they've often relied on making good use of the space.

I've enjoyed games like GG Shinobi, Ninja Cop (Five O) and Elevator Action Returns, and while they don't have the most sophisticated environments there's usually a lot more going on with platforming and figuring out clever solutions.

glaurung

Switched to the current beta build, immediately beat the first boss. But from there on out, progress is woefully slow. Ossuary is madness unless I find the good skills and weaponry. They reduced the lightning whip effectiveness, but burning is now superior to bleeding. Then again, having a chance to pop burn/bleed/poison on an enemy at the same time... Godlike.

Is the game good? 16 bucks sound fair.

Watch some video of it to see if you think you'll like the overall look and combat focus, but... I ended up putting about 15 hours into it over the course of a few days, and keep dipping back into it. The level of polish is fantastic, and the combat continues to be rewarding.

Top Bottom