• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

RedRum

Banned
The far right is up in arms about this whole kneeling thing and I am sitting here like...

The hypocrisy is vexing. When people talk about gun control, the opposition cites the constitution as their right to bear arms. When there is an uproar about something said, the opposition cries that people are being too PC and it infringes on freedom of speech. So when a group takes a knee as a showing of solidarity, which is their constitutional right, why is there an outcry by the opposition?

Personally, I wouldn't kneel during the national anthem. That's just me. However, I'm not going to put them on blast for it like they are damn enemies of the state. Especially when I myself use the constitution to defend the argument that it is my RIGHT to own guns. How can I in fair faith defend my rights while advocating against the rights of others printed on the same piece of paper?

Sb4Y6gr.jpg
Hilarious

Nasbin

I've got to say I was against Kap kneeling because he said he didn't vote and all politicians are the same but this reaction players are getting from Trump and co prove everything Kap was saying is true. Everything he wanted to get out showed itself. This nation has a large section of people that refuse to see the reality that minorities are discriminated against every day.

Kap has said and done some dumb shit, but this issue aint a referendum on Kap. Respect to him for starting something important.

I got misty eyed for a while after seeing this. What I wouldn't give to see one of these old heroes walk out onto the field and grab a mic. The verbal lashing from a WWII vet on thousands of entitled boomers, X'rs and millenials all at once would be historic. Sad that they still aren't allowed to take their well earned rest, though. You'd think their kids and grandkids would let them rest already.

louiedog

Is there a count of times Trump put himself into a situation like this by saying something really dumb about a topic he didn't need to bring up instead of going the much easier route of just doing nothing?

Dude Abides

Banned
Is there a count of times Trump put himself into a situation like this by saying something really dumb about a topic he didn't need to bring up instead of going the much easier route of just doing nothing?

Trump likes to pick fights. Especially with non-white people and women. That's how he keeps his base happy while he fails and gets rolled everywhere else

Dam that is weird and surreal. Where are all these people that voted for trump? Everyone seems to hate him so I wonder how he won.
He ran against an American presidential candidate with the second worst unfavorables in recorded political history that like him was being hit from all sides while running a messy campaign. Unfortunately unlike Trump Hillary also got sideswiped by the FBI and Russians which made things even harder for her.

Wait...

When did locking arms become protest?

I thought the idea was to kneel in solidarity. It looks like everyone was too scared.

America lost today, if the words of a bombastic demagogue can influence the spirit of people

Kelsdesu

Wait...

When did locking arms become protest?

I thought the idea was to kneel in solidarity. It looks like everyone was too scared.

America lost today, if the words of a bombastic demagogue can influence the spirit of people

They gotta eat. Its a scary thing for some of those who may not have guaranteed contracts. Plus there is alot of players who likely agree with all that fuckshit

PillarEN

Dam that is weird and surreal. Where are all these people that voted for trump? Everyone seems to hate him so I wonder how he won.

Plenty of video with people booing at various stadiums during the protest. They are all around, sharing the stadium with you and everywhere around the globe in spirit (American or not) with similar racist and xenophobic views liking the way Don does things..

Sb4Y6gr.jpg

Hilarious

Haha. That's great.

It's seems to be more important for a lot of people (particularly on the right) to let others know just how patriotic they are and how much they support the military, respect the flag, etc. Taking part in faux/forced nationalism before sporting events is far from the best and only way to honor America and support the troops. I stand and sing during the anthem before games, but it's more out of habit than anything else. I don't when I'm watching a game on TV, so am I a bad American at home but a great American in public? Did we start getting awarded Patriotism Points or something?

Similarly, on the Villanueva front, it feels like he's getting a lot more praise today for taking part in the anthem than for having actually served. He should be getting praised regardless of what he does during the national anthem, but I wonder if he stayed in the back with the rest of the team, would he be getting called a coward/un-American by many of the same people calling him a hero today? Sadly, I think we know the answer.

Kaepernick has really started something and while it's brought out a lot of shittiness from some sects, it's a conversation that's proven to be necessary. But damn, what a cesspool social media is. Had to do a lot of unfollowing...yikes. A lot of very unhappy, old white dudes on the internet today.

They gotta eat. Its a scary thing for some of those who may not have guaranteed contracts. Plus there is alot of players who likely agree with all that fuckshit

And this is where we fail... We are stronger together. It shouldn't matter if someone loses their job, the community that surrounds them should provide.

If this was 1960, when we didnt have shit, then the true response would be to watch those players exit the stadium, and let the owners burn over lost profit. 1 or 2 players... theyll be replaced, but multiple owners losing their teams. Theres too much money lost for there not to be a response and individuals are protected.

We are stronger together.

Joeku

It's looking like no. Fake account.

No he did that a year or two ago. Then later got asked about the bullshit statistics on a TV interview and said something along the lines of "I can't review and fact-check everything I retweet".

Edit: Goddammit, Tom Hanks.

Facebook has been great today. Someone posted pic stating they respect THIS (the American flag) more than THIS (NFL). I just can't believe how dense some people are.

mike6467

The biggest disconnect I always see is how convinced some of these people are that the government can't be trusted in any way. Ever. Drain the swamp, the establishment is destroying America and nothing that comes from it can be trusted. Blahblahblah.

Then you turn around and get "Oh, by the way we also support all the individuals who unconditionally and without hesitation perform the orders of the establishment and ensure it can act when it needs to. If you waver in this support, or want any kind of accountability in the system then you're not a Real American™ and you need to get out of the country".

AntoneM

The biggest disconnect I always see is how convinced some of these people are that the government can't be trusted in any way. Ever. Drain the swamp, the establishment is destroying America and nothing that comes from it can be trusted. Blahblahblah.

Then you turn around and get "Oh, by the way we also support all the individuals who unconditionally and without hesitation perform the orders of the establishment and ensure it can act when it needs to. If you waver in this support, or want any kind of accountability in the system then you're not a Real American™ and you need to get out of the country".

A lot... A.... LOT of people don't equate "government" to the military.

Simplet

This is actually great for Trump, he was pretty much elected to pick idiotic fights with "politically correct" people and social justice warriors.

It might also be good if you want to get a conversation going about race in america though.

TheContact

For the first time in 9 years I replied to a comment on Facebook on the patriots page because someone said the players disrespected the country and the veterans for kneeling. This blind patriotism and ignorance of human rights is just sad. I had to assume this person is a die hard trump supporter and of course when I went to her page her past comments were talking about immigrants and building a wall...

Top Bottom