• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City police take a knee at rally in support of Colin Kaepernick

Dozens of current and former New York City police officers, including famed corruption whistleblower Frank Serpico, turned out Saturday at a rally in support of getting free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick a job in the National Football League.

The former San Francisco 49ers player became a controversial figure last year after he refused to stand for the national anthem in what he called a protest against oppression of people of color.

He opted out of his contract in March and became a free agent, but so far, no NFL teams have signed him for the upcoming season, which kicks off in three weeks.

The gathering in Brooklyn featured about 75 mostly minority officers wearing black T-shirts reading #imwithkap.
A number of NFL players, including Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, have suggested that Kaepernick is being blackballed by teams for his protest. That attitude was echoed on Saturday.

“The fact that this man is no longer in the NFL has nothing to do with stats on the football field, but for taking a knee and pointing out some of the flaws that have been tormenting people of color in this country for decades,” Justice League NYC co-founder Darius Gordon told the New York Daily News.

Kaepernick completed 59.2% of his passes, averaged 6.8 yards per attempt and threw 16 touchdowns with four interceptions in 12 games for the 49ers last season. But his refusal to stand for the anthem to draw attention to police brutality and racial injustice became a far bigger story than his on-field performance.

He has said he will stand for the anthem next year since his objective for the protest, to start a nationwide debate, has largely been achieved.

Kaepernick’s stand against racial injustice has received support among players in a league that is majority African American. In June, the Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett said Kaepernick’s situation exposed a racial divide.

“I think the league is built on middle America, and most of the middle of America is predominantly a white crowd,” Bennett said. “That’s just the truth of it. I think race is not something that the NFL wants to be a part of or get behind. But the league is predominantly African American.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/19/police-rally-kaepernick-imwithkap-serpico

Protect the rights of Nazis marching in the street, but don't you dare take a knee when the national anthem is playing, what a country we have.

I don't follow the NFL so didn't know he had left the 49ers. It it realistic that some team won't pick him up, or are they just trying to 'teach them a lesson' and he'll get grabbed at the last second?

03m35uef26jx.jpg

Protect the rights of Nazis marching in the street, but don't you dare take a knee when the national anthem is playing, what a country we have.

Pretty much this.

bionic77

I don't follow the NFL so didn't know he had left the 49ers. It it realistic that some team won't pick him up, or are they just trying to 'teach them a lesson' and he'll get grabbed at the last second?
He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

Not sure if he will ever play again.

NFL is complete garbage. I was a huge fan but I am done with it because of this shit.

You forgot to mention these men are now receiving death threats, likely from the #bluelivesmatter crowd.
These men did well to take a stand, but they're overwhelmingly Black officers and the crowd that purports to be "pro-police" doesnt care what Black officers think if theyre not upholding the status quo.

ag-my001

The Ravens needed a backup since Flacco is hurt.

Many in Baltimore, including some coaches, wanted Kap.

They went with some guy I've never heard of who's been out of the league for years.

The problem is that as soon as a team gives him a job, Trump and the right-wing media is going to go after them. With a lot of people in this country still believing every word their president says, especially typically right-wing football fans, no owner is going to take the risk of that much lost revenue.

Good to see.

But why would Kap stand now with Trump in office? Has the country been fixed? Whatever, I wouldn't.

I'm so tired of people talking shit about him on Facebook like he's some sort of traitor or something. Bunch of brainwashed sheep. As soon as more white players sit then the whole narrative would change and suddenly it'd be the cool thing to do. Honestly fuck them for not joining in.

DogDude

Good to see.

But why would Kap stand now with Trump in office? Has the country been fixed? Whatever, I wouldn't.

I'm so tired of people talking shit about him on Facebook like he's some sort of traitor or something. Bunch of brainwashed sheep.
Because it cost him millions of dollars. Of course he will stand now

theWB27

The problem is that as soon as a team gives him a job, Trump and the right-wing media is going to go after them. With a lot of people in this country still believing every word their president says, especially typically right-wing football fans, no owner is going to take the risk of that much lost revenue.

Money over errything...

Also props to the cops...

Socivol

He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

NFL is complete garbage. I was a huge fan but I am done with it because of this shit.
I was never a huge fan but fuck the NFL. I will not be supporting in any way. You use black bodies to sell your wares but as soon as they have an opinion it's a problem.

Mimosa97

The league is predominantly black. Players could refuse to stand for the national anthem in solidarity with Kap. Without black player the NFL is dead. They have more power than they think.

Heroman

Banned
They not going to lose revenue in the slightest,

The league is predominantly black. Players could refuse to stand for the national anthem in solidarity with Kap. Without black player the NFL is dead. They have more power than they think.

Yeah exactly. I hope they are still standing for their own reasons and not because they're scared.

Things have been backwards forever in this country. Political parties are treated the same as sports teams and the Anthem and Flag have become holy symbols. Good on the cops that did this but the NFL treating Kap as toxic is utter bullshit.

The NFL will never change until leadership changes and they are making entirely too much money for that to happen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

I think most of it comes from a "not worth the headache" place of lazy corporatism than from genuine beef. And Kaep's election Shayamalan turned me from strong support to slight sideye.

Unexpected cop good guy story though

bionic77

I think most of it comes from a "not worth the headache" place of lazy corporatism than from genuine beef. And Kaep's election Shayamalan turned me from strong support to slight sideye.

Unexpected cop good guy story though
A lot of NFL fans are racist and stopped watching or got angry because of Kaeps controversial stance that black men are human beings.

The NFL apparently choose to appease the racists instead of us. I would assume they know their audience and would make the decision that lost them the least amount of money.

There is no good way to spin this.

zelas

A couple stories I was going to make a topic about but I'll just add here:

Justin Britt: Shared anthem moment was to support Michael Bennett
SEATTLE -- Michael Bennett once again sat during the national anthem before the Seattle Seahawks preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings on Friday. But this time, he had company, with Justin Britt standing next to him.

Britt put his arm on Bennett's left shoulder during the anthem. Afterward, the teammates embraced.

"I want to support him," Britt said after the Seahawks' 20-13 win. "I want to support what he stands for and his beliefs. I'm not foolish. I'm from Missouri. I get that things are different in that area than they are in some other areas. I'm not against what the flag means and veterans. My dad was in the Army. So I'm not putting any disrespect to them. I'm just trying to understand the issues, trying to educate myself more in that regard and showing support.

"And I'm going to continue to understand what's going on in the world and why it's happening. Because none of it's right. None of it's what should be happening. I'm going to continue talking with Mike and exploring and just helping myself understand things.
I wanted to take a first step tonight. And that's what I felt like I did."
Earlier this week, on ESPN's SC6, Bennett called for a white player to join the protest that seeks to call attention to social injustice.

Britt, who is white, said those words affected him.

"What Mike said, and how he said a white player should do it, that kind of triggered in my mind, because I see what's going on," Britt said. "We all do. And we all have choices whether to be an example or be a follower. I always tell kids: Don't be a follower. Be the one they're following. So whether it's good or bad in some eyes, I feel like I'm just supporting my teammate, supporting why he's doing it and his reasons, and trying to encourage others."

After Bennet's call similar actions with White players supporting their Black teammates happened as well:

Philadelphia Eagles: Safety Malcolm Jenkins continued his protest by raising a fist over his head prior to the Eagles' home game against the Buffalo Bills. In an apparent show of support, defensive end Chris Long kept his hand on Jenkins’ back for the entire playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner." Then Long gave Jenkins a pat on the shoulder pads and a hug when the song was over.

Oakland Raiders: Quarterback Derek Carr put his right hand on defensive end Khalil Mack's left shoulder during the national anthem before the Raiders' exhibition home opener against the Rams on Saturday night.

Can't blackball everyone.

Media

I got super depressed on Facebook the other day because a family member argued that him taking a knee made him just as much as asshole as the people that killed someone in Charlottesville. This world is fucked.

I got super depressed on Facebook the other day because a family member argued that him taking a knee made him just as much as asshole as the people that killed someone in Charlottesville. This world is fucked.
White supremacy is a religion, so its supporters taking on the characteristics of religious fanatics who trade in fallacies, half truths, and false equivocations should come as no surprise.

painey

the last 2 seasons under Kapernick the 49ers went 3 and 16. There's obviously pressure on him being picked up, but his numbers are bad and his salary is high.

bionic77

Doesnt Kaepernick live in California? Yeah, I think Im not gunna crucify him for that stance living in some overwhelmingly blue county.
Kaep walked the walk.

He lost his career to make a political statement to help black people. I and most of us are all talk in comparison (nothing with talking but it's always more impressive when someone gives up something or risks something to make a point.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Props where it's due. There are plenty of problems with the NYPD but good on these officers for taking a knee for what's right.

Curious to see what the blue lives matter folks have to say about it

Doesnt Kaepernick live in California? Yeah, I think Im not gunna crucify him for that stance living in some overwhelmingly blue county.

The voting wasn't just the presidential election. There were many more things to vote on for the 2016 ballot. There was no excuse, he should have voted.

When you have people watching and looking up to you, it matters. Have young people thinking, "Well if he's not going to vote, I guess voting doesn't matter."

Kite

They went with some guy I've never heard of who's been out of the league for years.

First of all keep in mine that Kaep had a job, he voluntarily opted out of $14.5 mil a year contract with the 49ers.

then-last-night-colin-kaepernicks-girlfriend-dec.png

It would help the whole getting a job thing if Kaep's gf doesn't tweet comparing the Raven's owner to a slave owner and one of their former players as an uncle tom.

Colin_Kaepernick_Castro_Shirt.jpg

The Dolphins also needs a backup QB bad since their starter got hurt but Kaep fucked himself over on this one as well. Wearing a pro Castro shirt to a press conference and Miami with the large and powerful Cuban population.. *shrug* theybrought Jay "poopy face" Cutler out of retirement instead lolol.

I am thinking that Kaep does get a job eventually this season once a starting QB goes down with an injury, but there is the lil issue that Kaep can't read defenses.

kapwat.0.gif

He doesn't do a presnap read to see if adjustments are needed, those wide open players on the top and bottom are pretty much guaranteed touchdowns.. look at em jumping in rage.

The Ravens didn't need him. They hired a training camp QB. Flacco is scheduled to start week one.

Kaep is definitely getting black balled though. He's better than some teams starters and they're passing him over for no reason.

When you have people watching and looking up to you, it matters. Have young people thinking, "Well if he's not going to vote, I guess voting doesn't matter."
The election is over. Just let it go. There was a large drop off in black voters last election. He wasn't the only one who thought this way. Maybe we can do better to elect someone the minority base of our party trusts more instead of retroactive brow beating and blame games

dafortune

It's not that he didn't vote. It's that he used his platform to advocate not voting. Fuck him. Him being blackballed say a lot about America but I have no sympathy for him.

The election is over. Just let it go. There was a large drop off in black voters last election. He wasn't the only one who thought this way. Maybe we can do better to elect someone the minority base of our party trusts more instead of retroactive brow beating and blame games

Fuck all of them. It's not just about this election, people fought and died for us to be able to vote only for these clowns to sit on their ass. I honestly have more respect for the people that are just too lazy to vote than the ones that don't vote on principal. Sure there are rarely ideal candidates but adults make the practical choice that best aligns with there views, these clowns threw a tantrum.

Elections in general are not over. And as long as real elections exist, anyone telling others to not vote because it doesn't matter is a moron. One election being over doesn't change that.
I don't think that this is something that warrants a "let it go".

Top Bottom