• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City police take a knee at rally in support of Colin Kaepernick

The election is over. Just let it go. There was a large drop off in black voters last election. He wasn't the only one who thought this way. Maybe we can do better to elect someone the minority base of our party trusts more instead of retroactive brow beating and blame games

The election is over, but we still have 4-8 years of bullshit we're going to have to deal with. I don't have sympathy for anyone who didn't vote especially not a multi-millionaire athlete. People with this attitude of voting doesn't matter are going to sit their and not do shit when the 2018 elections come too. This kind of apathy from someone in the public eye is exactly what we don't need. People need to realize the influence they have. We may not reach and be able to change the minds of many adults, but kids pay attention to this stuff more than you think.

Kin5290

Doesn't matter that he didn't vote, he had his reasons even if you don't align yourself with them.
Did Kapernick not vote only for the Presidential ballot, or did he not vote period?

It absolutely does matter that he didn't vote. Not voting means that he didn't care enough to actually have a say in government. It doesn't matter that he lives in California, because politics is local as well, and California in particular has a ton of referenda that play a direct impact on Californian lives. For example, a repeal of the death penalty in the state, which IIRC disproportionally affects black Americans, failed last year.

in a world where Christian Hackenburg has a job, nobody can play the "he's just not that good!" card in trying to defend the obvious blackballing by a group of racist owners.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Doesnt Kaepernick live in California? Yeah, I think Im not gunna crucify him for that stance living in some overwhelmingly blue county.

Being a role model to a lot of people and then advocating not voting is fucking dumb. There was more to vote on than just the Presidency.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He's definitely being blackballed, but I can't say I feel sorry for him for doing the "both sides" bit and not voting.

charlie-serpico.gif
Haha

I sure hope that's not why. I understand he helped start the debate but the debate rages on. Don't stand for this shit country.

It's probably the main the reason why. Its not like he had 20 million a year contracts to build his retirement around, he knows he needs to land a job to keep the money flowing. So his options are stand by his beliefs and risk going broke, or try to sidestep out of the controversy to get a job.

Arc

Yeah 6 months ago I would have told you he wasn't signed because honestly he's really not that good. But now seeing the players QB desperate teams are digging up from arena football he's absolutely being blackballed.

No sympathy from me though after his "both sides suck" stance for not voting.

His career is pretty much over at this point.

And yes you should care he's being blackballed whether he voted or not. Because this is racist billionaire owners lording over 25 year old men like angry plantation owners because he shook the boat. Michael Sam was treated the same way. He was drafted later than he should have been for PR, produced in camp and preseason, then got cut and the league chewed him out to the point where he developed an anxiety disorder and doesn't even play ball anymore.

This goes beyond Kaep. A player should not be blackballed for having a fucking opinion.

The election is over, but we still have 4-8 years of bullshit we're going to have to deal with. I don't have sympathy for anyone who didn't vote especially not a multi-millionaire athlete. People with this attitude of voting doesn't matter are going to sit their and not do shit when the 2018 elections come too. This kind of apathy from someone in the public eye is exactly what we don't need. People need to realize the influence they have. We may not reach and be able to change the minds of many adults, but kids pay attention to this stuff more than you think.
And people need to realize on the left that while I disagree with his decision not to vote, like I said he wasn't the only one and there were many minority voters with, justifiable grievances that kept them out of the process for various reasons. So on the likely chance we don't nominate Obama 2.0 who does all the work for us, we should try having more apathy and understanding of those disaffected voters who felt like they didn't have a proper outlet. Getting angry and telling any minority voter who didn't vote for Clinton to fuck off isn't how we fix the proper or rebuild bridges going forward. There is a not insignificant amount of people who believe we don't actually want to help minority voters in this country; we just want their votes. I don't think this sort of approach in getting mad at the people who didn't go out or made a decision I thought was incorrect is going to be successful at getting people to come back into the fold.

"I don't feel bad for the millionaire that didn't vote" you don't have to feel bad for him but you have to recognize and speak out that what's happening to him by a group of racist billionaires that use the NFL as basically a dock waving contest against each other is wrong.

Arc

"I don't feel bad for the millionaire that didn't vote" you don't have to feel bad for him but you have to recognize and speak out that what's happening to him by a group of racist billionaires that use the NFL as basically a dock waving contest against each other is wrong.

Fair enough, but he didn't do himself any favors and he could have used his platform to get people to the polls.

Fair enough, but he didn't do himself any favors and he could have used his platform to get people to the polls.

:lol "Didn't do himself any favors", is this the new way of saying we don't like how you're protesting?

Good thing we have all those wife beaters and even someone who went to prison for his dog fighting ring and they are given a second chance but a superbowl quarterback "didn't do himself any favors" by speaking out against police brutality and taking a knee! But it's all ok because he didn't vote...

It's probably the main the reason why. Its not like he had 20 million a year contracts to build his retirement around, he knows he needs to land a job to keep the money flowing. So his options are stand by his beliefs and risk going broke, or try to sidestep out of the controversy to get a job.

ESPN has been doing a number of stories on the protests over the past week. The one that stood out was a player that said he was new to the league and wouldn't be doing it because he feared he could end up like Kaepernick. That's what the NFL is trying to do here. They may not be able to stop it, but they can try to limit it to players who're well known and good enough that owners and fans can't afford to be mad at them. Look at the players listed in this thread. Michael Bennett has gone to the Pro Bowl for the past two years, so there's no way teams will kick him out. Marshawn Lynch is the starting running back for the Raiders, and if he's anywhere near as good as he once was, then he'll be one of the best backs in the league. And Malcolm Jenkins is a top 10 safety in the league. So they're all in a position where they can do this without fear of repercussions.

Colin in terms of talent is basically a backup QB in the league. But he became at least well known to NFL fans because there was a small window of time where the 49ers were good with him as the starters. So doing this sends a message to a large number of players that if you step out of line they'll make sure you don't have a chance to do it again.

Is there a Jaguar-gaf out there?

DHenhU1XoAAlZ8T.jpg

There is and I was kind of hoping we'll take him or early in the season after the team blows up again. With how dire our QB position is, we'd be stupid to not at least give him a chance but considering how the team has been run this far I don't see it happening. Not sure how Coughlin is about stuff like this either...

Arc

:lol "Didn't do himself any favors", is this the new way of saying we don't like how you're protesting?

Good thing we have all those wife beaters and even someone who went to prison for his dog fighting ring and they are given a second chance but a superbowl quarterback "didn't do himself any favors" by speaking out against police brutality and taking a knee! But it's all ok because he didn't vote...

Hey buddy relax, I didn't say any of that.

Listening to Mike Vick, a convicted dog fighter and Ray Lewis, an accessory to murder who has never had a conversation with another human being that wasn't a sermon, talk about this is both depressing and funny in its irony.

Nah, you're just incapable of having a conversation.

He didn't, that's a fact. In no way am I taking a stance by stating that.

Nah, you definitely are. This is like the people who say "he's no angel" aren't taking a side, they just for some reason have nothing to say... It's ok, it's been the same song and dance for years now, people know what you mean if the only thing you have to add is "he did himself no favors".

dafortune

Please when one of your methods of protest helps the people your protesting against and harms the people you're protesting for its perfectly acceptable to call that shit out.

And yes you should care he's being blackballed whether he voted or not. Because this is racist billionaire owners lording over 25 year old men like angry plantation owners because he shook the boat. Michael Sam was treated the same way. He was drafted later than he should have been for PR, produced in camp and preseason, then got cut and the league chewed him out to the point where he developed an anxiety disorder and doesn't even play ball anymore.

This goes beyond Kaep. A player should not be blackballed for having a fucking opinion.
The only opinions we're allowed to have is white supremacy. Any opinion besides that is one that cannot be tolerated

First of all keep in mine that Kaep had a job, he voluntarily opted out of $14.5 mil a year contract with the 49ers.

I am thinking that Kaep does get a job eventually this season once a starting QB goes down with an injury, but there is the lil issue that Kaep can't read defenses.

kapwat.0.gif

He doesn't do a presnap read to see if adjustments are needed, those wide open players on the top and bottom are pretty much guaranteed touchdowns.. look at em jumping in rage.

You don't know shit about football and just repeating all of nonsense you hear from Tomi Lauren. The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts. Which means you can be released at any time. The Niners were going to release Kaepernick in June which meant it would be harder to find another team to play for. Kaepernick opted out so he can have an better chance of find said team. About the pre-snap read play you showed. What would have happened if he performed that audible and a d-lineman from the Rams tipped it? Or since you are so smart and knows so much about football. What happened the next play?

MickeyPhree

First of all keep in mine that Kaep had a job, he voluntarily opted out of $14.5 mil a year contract with the 49ers.

then-last-night-colin-kaepernicks-girlfriend-dec.png

It would help the whole getting a job thing if Kaep's gf doesn't tweet comparing the Raven's owner to a slave owner and one of their former players as an uncle tom.

Colin_Kaepernick_Castro_Shirt.jpg

The Dolphins also needs a backup QB bad since their starter got hurt but Kaep fucked himself over on this one as well. Wearing a pro Castro shirt to a press conference and Miami with the large and powerful Cuban population.. *shrug* theybrought Jay "poopy face" Cutler out of retirement instead lolol.

I am thinking that Kaep does get a job eventually this season once a starting QB goes down with an injury, but there is the lil issue that Kaep can't read defenses.

kapwat.0.gif

He doesn't do a presnap read to see if adjustments are needed, those wide open players on the top and bottom are pretty much guaranteed touchdowns.. look at em jumping in rage.

It wasn't just the Cuba comment. Adam Gase, out head coach, got one of Cutlers better season out of him. The system we have is similar to the one he used with Cutler. Makes complete sense to bring him in over Kaep.

Seriously if fucking Cutler can get a job in the NFL so should this guy. I'm pretty sure he is better than whatever dumpster fire of a QB the Bears will put out there.

Oh so one year later, people like police officers are ready to support Kaepernick. Fuck off.

It's just amazing to see people/other NFL players eat the fruits of his labour while he gets blackballed bc of rebranded slavery between the owners and players. But when he started it, no one was willing to support him (aside from teammates). Hypocrisy at its finest.

JABEE

He is being blackballed.

Everyone knows it.

Not sure if he will ever play again.

NFL is complete garbage. I was a huge fan but I am done with it because of this shit.

And it's hypocritical when you have guys like Bill Belichick writing letters for Trump to read on stage and Tom Brady doing interviews with "MAGA" caps in his locker.

The NFL is okay with white people furthering their political agenda, but the moment someone uses the NFL platform to fight for a cause the old crusty NFL ownership doesn't agree with you will be blackballed.

What really ate away at owners is that there was no rule against what Kaep was doing? There are rules about sock colors and branding, but no rules about standing, sitting, or kneeling during the anthem.

Blackballing is their illegal retribution.

Sanjuro

Blackballing or not, there are many intangibles with Kaep's situation, one of them being not knowing what he is looking for in terms of contract. Whole thing is a mess.

LiK

They keep rapists and wife beaters but someone kneeling during the anthem for a cause is too much. Good on the cops.

Top Bottom