• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie made you walk out the theatre in awe?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In order of which I saw them at their cinematic release...

Star Wars
The Terminator
Predator
Total Recall
Terminator 2
The Matrix
Inception

All of them, totally blown away. It's been an awesome journey seeing special effects improve over the years but now we're in the digital age movies just don't have the same wow factor. Thats not saying there aren't great movies released, just the effects don't impress me any more.

farisr

LOTR: Return Of The King
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol (those IMAX scenes in a real IMAX theater were ridiculous, and also had the plane intro from Dark Knight Rises at the beginning before the movie)
Interstellar
The Raid
Mad Max Fury Road

Had I watched The Matrix and Fellowship Of The Ring in theaters, those would've made it on the list too.

The Avengers. Saw it opening weekend, and as a 13-year-old kid who didn't know anything about any of these characters, it blew my fucking mind. It's the movie that made me who I am today.

Joss Whedon, you genius bastard.

Aske

Should be on my list too. That movie left me feeling hype as hell.

Blair Witch Project......damned theater employees facing each corner as we walked out had me even more frazzled.

Love it. Kudos to the staff for being awesome.

Lots of people are saying The Matrix. I was at exactly the right age to appreciate it when it released, and I saw it in the theatre; but it's one of those pieces of media I don't really care about, without really understanding why.

I felt like it was a decent and pretty, but ultimately forgettable action movie with unbelievably cool spring-loaded Nokia cell phones.

phone4.gif

I'm not sure why I wasn't appropriately wowed by the effects or provoked by the theme; although I'd read the second Red Dwarf novel which gets into the "secretly living in a virtual world" thing in great detail, so I'm sure that diminished the impact of the latter.

This thread reminds me of that odd feeling I had at the time: confusion over why I'm not as jazzed by the movie as everyone else.

GhaleonEB

Titanic - overwhelming visuals, overwhelmed emotions.

Avatar in 3D - visually overwhelming. Mind-boggling, even. The most amazing experience I've had in a theater was seeing it opening weekend.

Wind River - an emotionally shattering experience. I've seen it three times now.

Batman v Superman - in awe of how dreadful it was. A stunning achievement in that regard.

Inception

What a mind fuck that was.

I would also say The Matrix, but unfortunately missed it in theaters, but that movie more than any other left me in awe.

Ninjimbo

This happens to me once every couple of years. Recently it was BvS. Before that, I think it was Fincher's Dragon Tattoo.

Aranovsky's Mother might be another one. I'm still not sure how I feel about that movie, but I know I was in awe when I walked out.

ExVicis

That happened recently with Get Out. It still remains and probably will continue to be my favorite movie of the year.

VARIA

Vanilla Sky (2001).

Seriously. Didn't even know what I was in for. Totally blew my mind. Very 'Philip K. Dick' story-wise. Then I saw the original that it was based on (Abre Los Ojos) and it didn't have the same effect. I think the OST of Vanilla Sky was pretty killer and definitely added to the overrall experience.

ryseing

Inception.

I couldn't believe Nolan had the cojones to go with THAT ending. It's one thing to leave things inconclusive with a smaller film, but with a $100 million dollar movie? Pure cojones. Especially following the third act.

louiedog

That happened recently with Get Out. It still remains and probably will continue to be my favorite movie of the year.

Same. I wasn't planning on seeing it in the theater at all but the excellent RT score (learn from it execs/Ratner) made me pay a little more attention and decide it was something that would be spoiled if I didn't. I'm so glad I went on that first weekend and was able to have that experience.

Gravity in 3D.

I was forced to sit up front, closer than I usually like. I felt like I was on a ride at Disney for 90 minutes. Amazing stuff.

While I have many accounts of experiences like this (Interstellar, Inception, Arrival, La La Land, Inside Out..), the most memorable was Gone Girl. The ENTIRE theater remained silent and unresponsive for about a minute after the credits showed up on screen.

DMVfan123

Banned
The Avengers was the best time that I've had of any movie that I've watched. The experience that I had seeing it on opening day with the crowd was legendary. Maybe that contributes to the fact that it's my favorite movie

Mi goreng

Under the Skin
Mad Max Fury Road
Mother!
No Country for Old Men
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Malgré la nuit aka Despite The Night
Love 2015 (saw it in 3D, lol) -- possibly the funniest experience
Victoria

I walked out of Inside Llewyn Davis and went straight to the beach, sat by the shore as the sun set, and just contemplated life. That movie hit me harder than anything before or since.

UrokeJoe

I've seen most of all of these movies mentioned in theaters on release. Yeah I'm old too.... The Matix still holds up as the last movie that had me like FUCK! That was crazy! Let's go again.

Dalek

The Matrix was the first movie where I walked out of the theater and went right back in line to get another ticket. It was mind blowing.

galvatron

Matrix
Mad Max: Fury Road
Pacific Rim
Texas Chainsaw Massacre ? (special screening near the town where it was filmed in an closed movie theatre with the cast present helped I'm sure)
Visitor Q?

After the first two I distinctly remember just saying "wow" for about a minute.

Visitor Q is definitely the strangest movie I've ever watched...can't say I'm dying to rewatch it ever, though I'd gladly rewatch everything else on the list.

I like plenty of others, but most favorites get put into words rather than just plain shock at what I saw...

robotrock

Banned
Interstellar in IMAX fucking blew my mind, fellas. Thank you lord for blasting the shit out of that Zimmer score in Christopher Nolan's dedication for shooting in the IMAX format.

I remember seeing John Wick at the theater with my buddy and we were raving about it for days. So much better than either of us expected, and I was already a big Keanu Reeves fan.

bleaker

Kingsman, mainly riding off the church scene. Harry Potter and Spiderman, as they were the first two movies I'd ever seen in theaters.

How to Train Your Dragon for one. Blew me away and exceeded my expectations by sooo much.

I really cannot think of anything else that comes close. Wonder Woman is probably the best experience I have had in the last couple of years.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
John Wick.

Dark Knight.

Hmmm........ what else.

Return of the King.

Mad Max Fury Road.

Pacific Rim.

The first Matrix.

Jurassic Park.

Gamespawn

Titan AE
The Fifth Element
Princess Mononoke
The Muppets (way better than it had any right to be)
Children of Men
Dark City
Sin City

Theres my list.

Matrix...my god that first film was executed so well. Such a unique, complete film that was mind blowing to see in the theater. Haven't seen a movie in the last 18 years that matches up to that experience.

Shirke

Off my head, Rogue One for that amazing third act, Your Name for being one of the best animated films I've seen in theatres, and Baby Driver for how stylish it was.

Top Bottom