• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie made you walk out the theatre in awe?

Oh damn, how could I forget Gravity. Yeah, I was in tears by the end - it felt like I had been on that adventure.

I liked it, but I felt a little let down when I realised the ending wasn't going to be an homage to Tarkovsky's poignant ending of Solaris. It seemed to cheapen the whole George Clooney creepypasta vibe they had there.

Ame

Mad Max: Fury Road
The Dark Knight
Interstellar
Gladiator

The final shots in Gladiator and The Dark Knight coupled with Hans Zimmer's score always gives me chills.

Trance

Mad Max: Fury Road
Zero Dark Thirty
The Social Network
Inception
Magic Mike XXL
The Dark Knight
The Master
Hateful Eight
Sicario
Ratatouille
Burn After Reading
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Get Out (moreso the second time when the screening was filled with POC)
Your Name
Whiplash
Winter Soldier
Moonlight
La La Land (but cooled on it later)
Iron Man
District 9 (def cooled since)
Gravity
Wolf of Wall Street
Edge of Tomorrow
The Martian
Creed
Spotlight
Elle
Nocturnal Animals

Yeah, I really liked 2015.

This list would be exponentially larger if I could include movies outside of theaters.

Batman Begins. Say what you will, but I don't think any other DC movie manages to make itself feel as epic as this one. Stays that way on rewatch too.

honorary mention: that first half of Edge of Tomorrow.

Probably Avatar. Movie took my breath away the first time I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Mad Max: Fury Road is really all else I can think of that I saw in theaters.

Seven Samurai
Suspiria
Eyes Wide Shut
2001: A Space Odyssey

May have not been in theater, but I still sat in awe as the credits rolled on my TV when I first saw them on DVD since I'm too young to have seen any in their original release outside of Eyes Wide Shut & my parents weren't taking me to that one. Haha

Coraline (first 3D movie I saw), Iron Man, Avengers, Interstellar, Jurassic Park, Hellboy, Arrival. I'm sure there have been others, but those are ones I can remember leaving the theater thinking 'holy shit, I just watched something amazing.'

Stiler

The Matrix, went into it knowing little about it along with some friends.

We came out and all were like "WTF DID WE JUST SEE???"

Saving Private Ryan - Never seen a war movie so visceral, that opening just left my jaw on the floor.

Jurassic Park - Something pure joyful about it, made me love Dino's and finding out more about them as a kid.

My kind of technical appreciation for film didn't start until after I was 18, and so it lacks a long-running refinement and omits a large number of actual theatrical visits I've had in my life. I'm not a film hobbyist by any stretch these days, either, but there's certainly an extra layer of appreciation that continues to develop when it comes to the craft of a film that simply didn't exist until I took a film class in college that really opened my eyes to a lot of elements of films that I had been ignoring. Also, this list is an HONEST list and not really accounting for criticisms that have arisen toward these films since their initial theatrical release (that is to say, some of these films DO NOT stand up, and I'm sure the ones that don't will be obvious).

Most recently:

- Baby Driver | Always loved Edgar Wright's films, but this seemed to be marketed as something of an action movie first, and so it lacked the familiar charm to be immediately as exciting as other projects that I was familiar with from the director. That said, my expectations weren't necessarily low, but they were handily blown out of the water. Film is thrilling, and I personally enjoyed the cast and their characters a whole lot, even if they weren't the most well developed -- they still managed to ooze personality and motivation despite the lack of traditional character development.

In the past:

- Marvel's The Avengers | Shallow reasoning, but the sheer spectacle of seeing the MCU finally come together like this was pretty incredible, and I found it to be a respectably entertaining action movie.

- The Dark Knight | Ledger's Joker felt like it fit right into the more grounded Batman take that started with the also-excellent Batman Begins, and at the time felt like the entire concept of Batman was greatly challenged within the film's story, to extremely satisfying result by the end. Bale's funny Bat voice couldn't stop me from really feeling it with this movie.

- Pan's Labyrinth | Just a pure visual feast with a heartbreaking story. Made me a real big del Toro fan despite being familiar and enjoying his work on Hellboy. Came out a time where I was mentally pretty distressed, felt highly relateable, and while I don't occupy that same reference of mind anymore, I still love this movie to this day -- it's probably one of my all time favorites.

- Children of Men | Similar to Pan's Labyrinth in almost all regards, and even released in the same general film season. I loved both and hold them in almost nearly the same regard. I got so emotionally invested in Theo's journey in this film that I started kicking the rail in front of my seat and crying when
Jasper was killed later in the film

- Mad Max: Fury Road | I had no familiarity with the Mad Max films and the marketing just felt like pretty stock-standard post-apocalyptic mayhem to me. I went with a friend who is a big fan of the Mad Max apocalyptic style and was expecting kind of a shallow, visually interesting action movie with an uninspired setting. With its strong feminist tones and enough balls to kind of just have the title character get out of the way for most of the movie, I was absolutely floored and astonished by it.

- Transformers | Ahem... This is the one that definitely doesn't hold up. But my first viewing of this was absolutely thrilling. It was one part nostalgia hearing Peter Cullen reprise the role of Optimus Prime throughout the film and the smaller callbacks to the classic series and one part just a general lack of pre-existing appreciation for the Michael Bay action style that had me really enjoying this out of the theater. I, to my shame, even admit that I kind of had fun with the humor style on the first run... I'm sorry :( I have difficulty watching this movie nowadays because the humor is something I no longer hold the perspective to appreciate and it was always visually unclear for most of it, but it was a fun thing to see come alive in the theater for the first time as someone who adored Transformers toys and the cartoon series growing up

- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers | This is probably the only one that comes from before I went to college. So the Lord of the Rings trilogy holds a huge place in my heart. Me and my closest friends saw each one at a theater that was a few blocks away from our high school after we finished finals three years in a row, and we really bonded over the films' actual bonding themes, as well as them just being finely produced. The showings we went to were, to my recollection, relatively small crowd-wise -- the movies had been out for a little bit of time already and we'd often get out of finals on a weekday at noon, so we'd be at an earlier showing. I seem to remember with The Two Towers specifically, not a whole lot of other people were in the theater. We had a lot of fun kind of placing ourselves into that journey, and the bombastic and desperate ending at Helm's Deep just left us all in fucking awe. I remember my friends and the friendship we had every time I see this movie now, and how it feels like we had each other's backs just as much as the movie's various protagonists do.

g11

The Matrix. I was 12 or 13 and it was pretty mind bending stuff at the time for me.

Blair Witch Project. Knew nothing going in except that it was supposed to be scary. Had never seen a found footage movie before and because you never see anything completely unbelievable in it, I actually left the theater thinking it was real.

Mad Max: Fury Road. Almost nonstop action and just the weirdness of the world had me shook.

The Fountain. It was the first Aronofsky movie I had the chance to see in the theaters and even knowing that I was in for something really wild, I was not prepared for this.

Mik2121

The Matrix - The whole theme was impressive, and the imagery was pretty strong as well.
Gladiator - The music, the characters and everything else.
The Fountain - The music, the visuals and the theme were great. The story was weeeeeeird.
Interstellar - The music and the visuals were stunning. The story was really nice too.

In the case of The Matrix and Gladiator, I remember going home and thinking about the movie until I went to sleep. I was a kid though.

valeo

Gravity. Not a perfect movie, but what an experience.
Pacific Rim. Again, not a perfect movie at all, but another great experience.

The Walk. Saw this in IMAX 3D and it was mindblowing. The final bits were some of the most anxious moments I've had while watching a movie. Almost had to look away because the sense of height felt so real. While walking out of the theater I was still in awe from what I had seen. Like with Gravity a lot gets lost on the smaller screen.

Watching V for Vendetta while the Bush administration's Patriot Act shit was just rolling out was nuts. During the movie I was thinking "yup this is where we are headed."

It received a long standing ovation in the hyper liberal retro theater I saw it in. It was a great experience.

Top Bottom