• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What movie made you walk out the theatre in awe?

TheXbox

I don't think it's ever happened. Mad Max was incredible but I knew it was going to be great before I saw it. LotR rocked my world but I watched all three on Netflix.

Fisty

Django Unchained and Fury Road, most notably for me. I was on an adrenaline rush after those for sure, amazing finales

Big Fish put me in a mood that felt both calm and euphoric upon leaving the theatre. Between the hints of surrealism (probably one of my favorite styles in cinema) and the overall uplifting message, it just left me feeling pretty good. Like waking up from a weird but fantastic dream.

Fisty

Big Fish put me in a mood that felt both calm and euphoric upon leaving the theatre. Between the hints of surrealism (probably one of my favorite styles in cinema) and the overall uplifting message, it just left me feeling pretty good. Like waking up from a weird but fantastic dream.

Yeah Tree of Life did this for me, and I only watched it on a 26" TV. My girlfriend cried through the whole thing and we didn't really say much too each other for the rest of the night, we were just so drained and euphoric

8bit

Knows the Score
Fury Road, I was expecting something different with McCarthy's involvement but wow, it was something else.

Dredd, in 3D was the first time I saw anything in a decent 3D cinema. As a Deca Thargo it was a near religious experience.

Fight Club. Skilled and original filmmaking on all fronts. It was subversive and blistering. To me at the time it felt like my generations A Clockwork Orange or Taxi Driver or even The Graduate. I came out with an adrenaline rush, actually felt a little high. Nothing since has done that.
Well put.

Demy

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty unexpectedly blew me away. I left awed, humbled, and happy.
2013-12_LT-WalterMitty1.jpg

EYEL1NER

I mean, I completely understand that I'll get shit for listing it, because it isn't the best movie out there, but Van Helsing. Reason being? I was high af when I watched it. I remember sitting there in awe with my mouth agape the entire time. I walked out of there raving about the black and white intro, the werewolf transformation, Mr Hyde, Frankenstein, and more. I've watched it a ton of times since and know it isn't all that good (I like it but I can recognize the horrible writing, horrible acting, spotty CG, and more), but that first time was mind-blowing.

LotR The Two Towers was one that made me leave the theater in awe, but that one is pretty obvious why: it's a fantastic film with some incredible set pieces and battles. It's just an epic film.

Say what you want about the story, but I was absolutely stunned by the visuals. It remains the only movie I've ever watched in 3D (and from what I hear, one of the few movies to do 3D right), which probably helps.

Gravity. 3D perfection. Also left me feeling like I had just landed too. Incredible movie

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Gravity. 3D perfection. Also left me feeling like I had just landed too. Incredible movie

Oh damn, how could I forget Gravity. Yeah, I was in tears by the end - it felt like I had been on that adventure.

shaneo632

I saw Arrival at a film festival press screening at 9am after having had about 3 hours sleep and it was like being slapped in the face with an electric eel. I was just like "Ho...lee...SHIT"

Also I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. Fucking nutted. My pal avoided seeing any marketing before he went in and the look on his face when it started was amazing.

This is hyperbole, but you can't possibly imagine what it was like seeing Jurassic Park for the first time in theaters as a kid in 1993. That movie was pure magic.

Others off the top of my head:

The Matrix, especially considering how little everyone knew about it because of the abstract marketing campaign.

The Dark Knight, for just delivering on everything and more.

Gravity, just for the experience and technology involved.

That does sound awesome, but sadly from the clips I've seen of that movie, it most likely would have made me extremely motion sick.

There Will Be Blood.

Left the theater just stunned by what I had seen.

fa8Nmop.gif

GodDAMN, what an ending. Shocking, unique, darkly funny, and on top of a stellar movie before it.

Great choice. Plus, the ending credits theme is the awesome 3rd movement of the Brahms Violin Concerto!

Risible

My friends and I saw a midnight showing of Dawn of the Dead back in the 80s tripping our faces off on mesc. It was an amazing experience. We got out of the theater and hung out until dawn talking about what we would do in a zombie apocalypse situation. It's was a relatively new thing back then and not super played out like it is now. It really blew our minds.

Madness

Recently was Dunkirk Imax. Before that was Interstellar. Before that was American Sniper but that was silence more than awe. I didn't know Chris Kyle or his story and the theatre was a bunch of us Canadians catching a late showing, indians, chinese,white etc. Whole theatre left silent. There was a few claps when he hit the Iraqi sniper but then you see the end of what happened ro him when he returned etc.

Top Bottom