• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Hydrus

Whats been up with the Rom hacking community? It's been ages since I followed it. Last I remember from it was all the hacks made from Fire Red. Anything new or big? Have they been able to go past GBA hacking?

DLS3yCs.jpg

My wife made new versions of her Kanto starters this weekend. 7 years apart.

I <3 Bulbasuar

Skelter

Banned
I need help badly! I tried to load up my Pokemon Omega Ruby save but all I keep getting is "The saved data is not compatible with this version, so it can't be used."

My game version is 1.4. I have so many IV/EV trained Pokemon in my Omega Ruby game. I was planning on moving them to PokeBank but now I can't and I'm stressing if I'm going to seriously have to delete my save data.

Is there anything I can do to save my Pokemon?

Slermy

Is your SD card working properly? It might be that the update file is corrupted. I believe the game save is on the cartridge though.

Slermy

Not sure this helps at all, but here is an explanation for why you're getting the error:

The digital versions of Pokemon have anticheating mechanisms for the save files. A unique code is generated every time you save and it is stored on the system memory. If the code in the save file and the code on the 3DS memory don't match you get the incompatible save error.

Busaiku

Sun & Moon officially begins on May 19 on Disney XD.
It's gonna be weekly.

After CN was getting better about airing episodes sooner, Disney XD goes and ruins everything.

Gengahrrr

Sun & Moon officially begins on May 19 on Disney XD.
It's gonna be weekly.

After CN was getting better about airing episodes sooner, Disney XD goes and ruins everything.

What a weird air date, especially after they already aired the first two episodes in what seems like ages ago.

if pokedex entries are now supposed to be written by "biologists" , whats even the purpose of sending a kid out to collect data, when the data is just pre written entries?
Kind of defeats the purpose of the dex being this incredible piece of tech.

then again this is the same world where nobody has ever seen how pokemon reproduce so its a bit laughable when they try to play it seriously with any of the science stuff

spiritfox

if pokedex entries are now supposed to be written by "biologists" , whats even the purpose of sending a kid out to collect data, when the data is just pre written entries?

then again this is the same world where nobody has ever seen how pokemon reproduce so its a bit laughable when they try to play it seriously with any of the science stuff

Eh don't think too hard about it. The whole world doesn't make too much sense if you think too hard about it.

Eh don't think too hard about it. The whole world doesn't make too much sense if you think too hard about it.

I agree, that's why the serious/melodramatic plot does nothing for me. The rate they're going through all the new pokemon in the anime, they're probably going to start introducing those elements from the games soon enough.

Alternative explanation: all the adults in the Pokemon world you run into get awkward when some little kid asks them about the subject, either simply because they're a kid or because they're worried that the kid's parents will be some nutjobs that will completely freak out on them if they explain the birds and the bees to them in any capacity, so they just pretend to know nothing when a main character asks them.

Oh, and that also explains why the Pokedex entries are the way the way: they're pre-screened to filter out any potentially offending information and just make the kids feel like they're doing something when they're really doing nothing. Basically, just blame it all on hyper conservative PokeParents who are for some reason alright with sending their kids into situations that could nearly kill them on a daily basis, but it's talking about Pokemon mating that makes them explode. I dunno.... xD Yeah, screw making sense of stuff like that.

Yeah, it's really bizarre that they never fixed that. Like, Nidoqueen being in the No Eggs group seems like something that was probably just an oversight at first, because I can't imagine why they would set it up like that intentionally and it would be easy to imagine simply making a mistake like that on just like one of the hundreds of Pokemon by setting a flag to the wrong value. But while they fixed stuff like Azurill and Marill having different gender ratios, they never fixed the stuff with the Nido-line, suggesting that for whatever reason, even though it makes no sense at all, that must be intentional after all I guess? Just bizarre.

I mean its kind of hard to ever take seriously with the Wailord daycare meme being an actual game mechanic. They just seem to want to have their cake and eat it too with pushing serious narrative and death etc as well as the funny videogame stuff. Wondering how far they're eventually going to take that. I guess they cant really give pokemon too much personality either, or that would make the whole throwing them in the daycare together really weird.

Kyzer

Banned
I pretty much loved everything about Sun and Moon except the festival plaza. PSS was so much better, it needs to come back in the next game.

same. festival plaza was terribly executed, i also wish there was more to the postgame, and there was an easier way to level to 100

anyways if we dont get pokemon news by the end of May, I dont think its coming this year...odds of it being announced at e3 are very low, even though the pokemon games have had more of a role in e3 directs since xy

brinstar

If there is no game it'll be interesting to see what they'll do since they revealed Marshadow. Have they done a year with nothing after an entire gen's dex was revealed before?

If there is no game it'll be interesting to see what they'll do since they revealed Marshadow. Have they done a year with nothing after an entire gen's dex was revealed before?
They have, but not recently, and each time they revealed plenty of Pokemon from the next generation to compensate.

I don't know exactly when Mew was revealed, but Yellow came out a few months after its movie, and Gold and Silver were out the year after that. The early years are a bit weird, because they did a lot of revealing of Gen II Pokémon at the same time- by the time Mew made its debut, we'd seen Ho-oh, Togepi, Marill, Snubbull and Donphan revealed.
Crystal came out months before Celebi's debut, and there was no new RPG released after that movie until Ruby and Sapphire a year and a half later. Again, I don't actually know when Celebi was revealed, but they didn't have a new game after its official debut. Again, however, they were starting to show off Gen III Pokémon by that point; Kecleon, Azurill and Wailmer all featured in the Pikachu short that came alongside the Celebi movie.
Deoxys was revealed in February 2004, and Emerald came out in September, complete with a new Deoxys form. Again, though, Munchlax was revealed in May 2004, meaning that they'd started showing off Gen IV Pokémon before they'd finished putting out Gen III games.
Gen IV was the first (and, until this generation, only) generation not to overlap reveals with the generation following it. Arceus was revealed in February 2009, and the first Gen V Pokémon, Zorua and Zoroark, weren't revealed until February 2010. Heart Gold and Soul Silver came out at the end of 2009, and Black and White at the end of 2010.
Genesect was revealed in December 2012 for inclusion in its own movie (although it actually ended up debuting in the anime proper first), but the X and Y Direct aired the very next month. On top of this, Sylveon and Mega Mewtwo Y also debuted alongside Genesect's movie. X and Y came out a few months later.
Last year, most people (*not me, though*) just assumed that we'd be getting Volcanion in its own movie, and that a new generation was a long way off. However, they revealed Magearna in February last year, with the Sun and Moon Direct happening a matter of weeks later. Again, the new generation started a matter of weeks after the end of the old one.

In short, they've only done it once in terms of games, and even then the promotion for the next lot was already well underway. If Stars doesn't happen this year, it'd be a first, really.

Of course, we already have an unprecedented situation- all the generation's Pokémon have been revealed within six months of the games' release. As far as I can tell, there's only been one year in the history of the franchise which hasn't had at least one new Pokémon revealed- 2011 didn't have one, largely because they brought Victini's reveal forward so they could distribute it at Black and White's launch. I'd say it's very likely that they started revealing Gen VIII Pokémon within the next 12 months, Stars or no Stars.

brinstar

Hmm then yeah, at the very least we should at least be getting some glimpses of new stuff soon. That makes me wonder how the show will deal with it though... I assume it's not anywhere near close to showcasing all the Alola Pokemon right? Maybe the slice of life format was done knowing Gen 7 would be really short or something.

Busaiku

Man, why do my favorite gens always end up being the shortest.
9th gen will be even better, but only 1 year.

I still hold hope for expanded Alola.

There is the often-forgotten aspect of the Eurogamer report about Stars, which is that there would be more creatures to collect. Considering they're running out of Pokémon to reveal just before the purported launch of Stars, might it be time to revive the half generation theory again?

Hmm then yeah, at the very least we should at least be getting some glimpses of new stuff soon. That makes me wonder how the show will deal with it though... I assume it's not anywhere near close to showcasing all the Alola Pokemon right? Maybe the slice of life format was done knowing Gen 7 would be really short or something.
The anime's odd at the moment, because they've touched basically nothing of the post-Melemele content from the games- I don't have any real sense of how quickly they're going to go through all of that, or even if they're going to try.

They've already hinted that they're going to tackle some form of the Aether plot line at some point as well, which just complicates things.

Ohmori retweeted an interview that he and Masuda did for some Youtube channel while at a convention in Switzerland. Obviously nothing major was revealed but there's a few tidbits:

- Masuda confirms that he isn't directing Pokemon games anymore and has moved into the producer position permanently. He says that being a producer means that he's more distant from the development team and allows him to travel to events like this.

- Game Freak is working on other projects besides Pokemon, which isn't surprising nowadays.

- Masuda says that he would prefer to continue working on Pokemon rather than something different like a zombie game (lol).

-GF are still looking into the Switch, based on how recent it is and the strict supply. They're also determining what mode people prefer to use the Switch in, but will continue to support future Nintendo systems in addition to smartphone projects (shocker).

- A Colosseum/XD style game isn't on the cards as they feel that the main appeal of those games was seeing Pokemon in 3D. Now that the main series is in 3D, it would be too easy to do.

- Masuda's favourite theme is Cynthia's battle theme (think this was already known) and his favourite recent theme is the field music from GO. Ohmori's favourite is the Giratina battle theme.

https://youtu.be/sa4pAs7oijQ

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I started playing Pokémon Moon and within the first few hours I am reminded to why I like it more than X and Y, it's riddled with charm and Alola just feels so alive.

Having said that I still don't like how the game keeps interrupting me and just doesn't let the player explore, I didn't notices this when I first play Sun but it's a lot more obvious now.

Game Freak really needs to stop being scared and just let player explore at their own pace, there was no reason to when I entered Hau'oli City I had to be interrupted three times it isn't exactly a big city so the player won't get lost, unlike a certain stupid city a gen prior.

I also wish that you could disable the Rotom dex speech, his speech bubble is too distracting.

(By the by, my daughter asked about that trainer whose Charizard that has that condition where he reverts. lol... She thinks your story is different and cool.)

Aw thanks. ^_^

The anime's odd at the moment, because they've touched basically nothing of the post-Melemele content from the games- I don't have any real sense of how quickly they're going to go through all of that, or even if they're going to try.

They've already hinted that they're going to tackle some form of the Aether plot line at some point as well, which just complicates things.

That's what I was thinking as well which is why I felt that "Pokémon Star" would be releasing next year buuuuut considering how Marshadow recently announced and the fact that X and Y animé did a "Pokémon Z" arc despite the fact no such game exist.

- Masuda confirms that he isn't directing Pokemon games anymore and has moved into the producer position permanantly. He says that being a producer means that he's more distant from the development team and allows him to travel to events like this.

How disappointing as it meant that his last game that he directed was the underwhelming X and Y, what a dull note to leave on.

And Ohmori hasn't won me over with gen 7 but he has room for potential.

- A Colosseum/XD style game isn't on the cards as they feel that the main appeal of those games was seeing Pokemon in 3D. Now that the main series is in 3D, it would be too easy to do.

I disagree, both those game had a story mode that was very different from the main series and was left opened ended in XD.

Then again if the main series is hitting on the switch then I can see their point.

- Masuda's favourite theme is Cynthia's battle theme (think this was already known) and his favourite recent theme is the field music in GO. Ohmori's favourite is the Giratuna battle theme.

Not surprised, gen 4 did have great music...wait a minute does this mean?

SINNOH REMAKE CONFIRMED!! ;p

I thought Masuda still makes music for the games though?
Masuda still makes music, but his contribution in recent years has been far less than it used to be. When Masuda started directing, Go Ichinose began making the majority of the music instead and Masuda primarily composed/arranged the battle themes. By Gen V, I think he stopped arranging music completely, leaving it to others and stuck to compsition. He did arrange a couple of themes in Sun/Moon, but the soundtrack was primarily done by Hitomi Sato and Minako Adachi, with Ichinose being the director of the sound team.

Anyone here played the Pokepark games by chance?

I am wondering how you actually LEVEL in the first game... I can see the stats but have no clue how to make them go up? Is it by simply running around that you can upgrade dash for example or do you need to keep battling over and over etc. or what?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Anyone here played the Pokepark games by chance?

I am wondering how you actually LEVEL in the first game... I can see the stats but have no clue how to make them go up? Is it by simply running around that you can upgrade dash for example or do you need to keep battling over and over etc. or what?

You need a find a character that will train you, that's how you level up your stats.

Daemul

The Pokedex has always just been an encyclopedia with pre written entries since the beginning of the series. The whole "The Pokedex is written by the protagonists" or "The Pokedex writes itself(lol)" memes were complete and utter nonsense pushed by people who clearly always skipped past what all the Professors said about what the Pokedex is and how it works at the beginning of each Pokemon game. You think that seeing how the Pokedex worked in the anime would have clued some people in.

The whole point of the Pokedex has always been for young trainers to go out and explore the region to discover Pokemon for themselves whilst unlocking all the Pokedex entries along the way and learning about the Pokemon in the process, it's basically a massive collectathon and a educational tool at the same time. Professors needing the help of kids to find out shit they should already know would make no damn sense lol. I mean the Pokemon world already doesn't make sense, lets not make things worse.

The Pokedex has always just been an encyclopedia with pre written entries since the beginning of the series. The whole "The Pokedex is written by the protagonists" or "The Pokedex writes itself(lol)" memes were complete and utter nonsense pushed by people who clearly always skipped past what all the Professors said about what the Pokedex is and how it works at the beginning of each Pokemon game. You think that seeing how the Pokedex worked in the anime would have clued some people in.

The whole point of the Pokedex has always been for young trainers to go out and explore the region to discover Pokemon for themselves whilst unlocking all the Pokedex entries along the way and learning about the Pokemon in the process, it's basically a massive collectathon and a educational tool at the same time. Professors needing the help of kids to find out shit they should already know would make no damn sense lol. I mean the Pokemon world already doesn't make sense, lets not make things worse.

Being written by professors is even worse. Cubone comes out of the egg wearing its mothers skull which just makes them sound like they have no idea what they're talking about. Their most prized invention is just a smart phone with reverse image search, which links them to some irreconcilable text. At least magic technology would fit with the already prevalent weirdness rather than making its characters sound like buffoons.

Kyzer

Banned

Umm idk Professor Oak pretty plainly states he needs you to fill the pokedex because he never did

I think its better to file this one under "dont overthink it"

Umm idk Professor Oak pretty plainly states he needs you to fill the pokedex because he never did

I think its better to file this one under "dont overthink it"
Yeah. I mean, I know Oak's a senile old man who can't remember his grandson's name but he doesn't seem far gone enough to think that Ponyta can jump Ayers Rock or think that Alakazam has an eleventy-billion IQ or whatever. That's definitely the exact kind of stuff kids would make up--anyone who remembers or hangs-out for kids for any period of time knows that those are the exact kind of things they love to make up about anything. But then again, why would Oak give kids the task of filling in the thing, knowing full well that's the kind of stuff that they would write, being kids and all?

Yeah, definitely best not to think about it too hard. It's not something that makes sense at all either way if you try because Game Freak clearly didn't put that much thought into it at the time it just ended up sticking anyway because it really doesn't matter at all.

Masuda into producer role explains a lot. So, Morimoto directed new generation when?

Seeing as how often Ohmori tags along with Masuda nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the next successor and will take over directing duties for future generations, similar to how Masuda took over from Tajiri. For example, Ohmori directs the first set of titles in each gen and others direct the ones in between them.

I always gathered that the Dex entries were preloaded by Oak, and then the Pokedex automatically records things like height, weight, other variable stats (but can only capture certain data by communicating with the Pokeball once caught). It snaps a photo and unlocks the written data for the trainer to read while discreetly collecting other data on the Pokémon by scanning it, thereby providing Oak with more research data. It incentivizes trainers to collect data for research by being a competition or collectathon.

Macka

There is the often-forgotten aspect of the Eurogamer report about Stars, which is that there would be more creatures to collect. Considering they're running out of Pokémon to reveal just before the purported launch of Stars, might it be time to revive the half generation theory again?
It's impossible for it to be Gen 6.5. There's no such thing as half gens.

It has new Pokémon, therefore it is Gen 7
I guess it would be Gen 8 if that were the case.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played Pokémon Moon took down totem Salazzle in one hit, she didn't even get a chance to call her harem.

Though to be fair Doro, my Mudbray, did have earthquake but even if he didn't have it Salazzle still would have gone down in one hit with bulldoze which is fine by me as island trial are my least favorite part of the game so the quicker I blaze through them the better.

"Pokémon Star" better bring back Gyms, they are miles more interesting than Island Trial.

Daemul

I could do without either Trials or Gyms, they're both boring as fuck, and in the case of gyms, extremely played out.

Surely GF can come up with something better.

I would love to see something like multiple rivals being the only boss encounters (outside of box legend bosses) in a future game. Doesn't have to even be 8 and you can reuse them throughout the game while developing their characters along the way (more than, say, "I love dancing to the point of giving my Pokemon only dance moves and not even using all of the available ones on that Pokemon").

Really surprised GF never dropped the type requirement from the gym leaders. Would have been easy to base them on game mechanics and stats, with the order being Type Effectiveness (Grass, Fire, Water team), Defense, Special Defense, Status, Attack, Special Attack, HP, and Stat Boosts as the final or something. Most of the stats seem to have their own traits as it is, so designing humans around them wouldn't exactly be hard (HP = Fat, Attack = Sharp / Rough, Defense = Bulky / Solid, SpAtk = Intelligent, SpDef = Wise, Speed = Nimble / Sneaky).

Oh well. Totems were a good first step but they're incredibly short fights and mostly rely on surprise to beat you. Would like to see some more new concepts in the future.

Top Bottom