• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

lantus

I just got 298k, I can't even fathom how some of you get the scores you do, I need to learn some new tricks then haha.

Heh, I got my first playthrough at 900k without even remembering there was an avatar trick. Personally I think 1 hour of play is more than enough already, yikes. I like the playlist mode, wish there was some kind of score-keeping for that, that would have been perfect. That way I could try to get a 5 skin play through once highscore, would always be a fixed length, so not take too much time.

RuGalz

I guess I'll just keep assuming the chain block is the best avatar ability, though I don't really use them all that much.

Eh depends on what you mean by "best". I find chain and shuffle are good for saving your butt in the Hail Mary sort of way. The slow drop one is good for re-gaining control on faster skins. Triple block ones are good for getting some extra 10ks.

Bazza

I brought this before i was about to go to bed last night, planned to have a quick go and i was still playing at 3.30am.

My PSN name is Bazza100

Tadale

Between this and Child of Eden, Q is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers.

I hit 300k last night – took me about an 1.5 hours of play.

People only getting 50k must not know...

2129796-Xnx3m_super.png

...although, I am only getting 150k by knowing that.

Mind blown.

120k =/

Heh, I got my first playthrough at 900k without even remembering there was an avatar trick. Personally I think 1 hour of play is more than enough already, yikes. I like the playlist mode, wish there was some kind of score-keeping for that, that would have been perfect. That way I could try to get a 5 skin play through once highscore, would always be a fixed length, so not take too much time.

Agreed. The only reason I played Voyage was to get all the skins unlocked. I'll probably never play it again. Removing high-score tracking from playlist mode is a really lame change and has diminished some of the fun I get out of these games.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
On the one hand, I'm really happy that I got a new high score tonight, but I'm really pissed that I couldn't break 3,000,000.
6939996789_e5be49a213_z.jpg

It was so frustrating to be so close and not be able to close the deal.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Agreed. The only reason I played Voyage was to get all the skins unlocked. I'll probably never play it again. Removing high-score tracking from playlist mode is a really lame change and has diminished some of the fun I get out of these games.

I know everyone hates trophies or whatever but Live had a cool trophy where you had to hit a pretty high number within a playlist. Really made you hunt around and explore different skins.

abasm

Oh man, there is no "quick Lumines break." I sat down to play for a few minutes, and came away an hour and a half later with a score of 880k. (On the bright side, I finished Voyage for the first time.)

Troidal

Umm, it's line freeze, isn't it? You can get simply insane combos with it.

Line freeze screws me over more than helps me. I guess when I am in the zone and use that avatar, I forget about the time line and overpile the blocks :(

Note to self: use it during skins where the blocks drop SLOWER.

I know everyone hates trophies or whatever but Live had a cool trophy where you had to hit a pretty high number within a playlist. Really made you hunt around and explore different skins.

250,000 in 10 skins. Having the Holiday add-on pack really helped with that achievement.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, Disco Infiltrator fucks me up. It's always so much faster than the previous skin. Just barely survived it this time, though, but I have a nearly overflowing load of blocks standing between me and a potential new high score.

ZeroFate

Got 500k my first play-through today! Haven't touched the series since the very first one on the PSP. It has my heart once again.
GOTY
<3

I swear, one of the most exhilarating/satisfying gaming moments for me are when ALL my blocks are piled to the top with barley any openings and by some miracle I'm able to come back. I always feel like such a BOSS. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I swear, one of the most exhilarating/satisfying gaming moments for me are when ALL my blocks are piled to the top with barley any openings and by some miracle I'm able to come back. I always feel like such a BOSS. :lol

Definitely. But then then are also moments where the miracle never comes, and you're cut short just shy of your high score. Like what just happened to me. ;_;

Anyways, favorite skin? Personally I love 4AM, I'm hooked on the song now. This game has turned me on to a lot of great music.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I love Lumines. My favourite game on the PSP and now the Vita.

I almost had to change my pants when Out of the Blue started playing. I fucking love that song.

RuGalz

Umm, it's line freeze, isn't it? You can get simply insane combos with it.

I'm hoping Q will patch the game and reset leader board. I sent them an email. If they don't plan to respond, I'll post the strategy in a couple weeks. The strategy requires some skill but nothing too hard for any veteran.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I thought it was the line freeze as well but it seems rather tedious and I don't see where the extra points are coming from. From what I understand it, you can score millions rather easily...

RuGalz

I thought it was the line freeze as well but it seems rather tedious and I don't see where the extra points are coming from. From what I understand it, you can score millions rather easily...

Well, getting to millions is kinda tedious either way (with or without avatar) :p

turnbuckle

I just went to the bathroom at work even though I didn't really have to go. I just wanted to play a bit more Lumines. I'm currently about to pass the 400,000 point threshold but I doubt I"ll ever come close to touching the types of scores people are getting here. I still don't feel like I've got this game down yet, in other puzzlers if I wanted to clean up the board I generally could pull it off. In Lumines, outside of the very beginning of the game I don't think I'll ever approach having a clean board.

Alchemy

Millions easily? Shit, there must be some avatar trick then. It would be nice if people would share their tricks but I guess I'll just keep trying to unlock more avatars and messing around with them.

Chocoboko

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere but I can't find any info. I keep reading that I can continue the voyage mode if I lose at some point. How do I do that? I don't see any options anywhere in the game to continue.

JEKKI

nooooooo~!!!! this game is broken!!!!!!!!!!!!

fu**in avatar abuse mang!! slow down blocks, tap back to 100%, repeat as necessary,

99999999999 scores for all!!!!

Aru

Got a 600000+ high score on my second voyage.
Great game, but I'm sad that some modes from the first games are missing. I loved the puzzle and AI Duel modes :(

Nert

Sunriser is pretty badass. I also really like Automatons, Celebrate Our Love, and Pacific 707. (All of these are new to me. Lots of great music I'd never heard before thanks to this game.)

And The Future of the Future is a classic. Tracey Thorn's voice is like comfort food.

Yeah, The Future of the Future is great. My favorite skin is probably Amon Tobin's "Wooden Toy," though; it's just so fucking strange and cerebral. I also love the frantic background that goes along with Apollo Throwdown.

Alchemy

nooooooo~!!!! this game is broken!!!!!!!!!!!!

fu**in avatar abuse mang!! slow down blocks, tap back to 100%, repeat as necessary,

99999999999 scores for all!!!!

So the broken Avatar power is Hang Time? Wasn't expecting that. Everything I've read made it sound like the trick was getting 6-7 million points in about the first hour of play on the first 10 skins, so my best guess was doing some sort of massive chain reaction combo to score tons of points all at once but I haven't be able to create a pattern that effectively works with this.

Not know the trick is fucking killing me.

My favorite songs are 4am, Rocket, Disco Infiltrator, Automatons, and Kelly Watch the Stars. Those are the 5 songs I've created and saved in a playlist.

My wife loves the Mark Ronson song, but she dirties it up by changing "plucking feathers" to "fucking fellas".

The only song I can't stand is Close To the Edit by Art of Noise. 80s shit.

branny

Yeah, I was making playlists of all the songs I liked, and I realized I only left out like three skins. It's criminal that there isn't a souped up "Bon Voyage" mode that includes all the additional original (Makoto Asai?) skins. They're incredible. It would've been nice to have better custom playlist score tracking.

Puzzle mode would've been nice, too, even though I got bored of it in the past when it was just redoing every challenge again two times in a row. I don't think this is one of the better action puzzle games out there for competitive dueling (Puyo comes to mind for versus play...), so I don't have an opinion on the lack of AI duels.

It really does suck that we can't take Electronic Symphony that seriously in terms of scoring, but that doesn't lessen its worth as an amazing "chill out" game.

Alchemy

Ok, the only thing that feels like it makes sense for this trick is that people are some how using avatar abilities to generate lots of screen cleared bonuses while clearing very few total blocks so they keep getting +10k without using going through very many skins.

Unfortunately Hover doesn't cause the screen clear bonus to tick multiple times in a row, so all I can see here is spamming hover to get a screen clear and just delay moving on to the next screen forever? And maybe there is a trick to building up avatar power through tapping that I'm not aware of because it feels pretty slow to me.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Hopefully they wipe out any scores that people are getting by avatar exploits. I love competing on the leaderboards and it isn't fun if the people at the top are cheating.

Alchemy

Hopefully they wipe out any scores that people are getting by avatar exploits. I love competing on the leaderboards and it isn't fun if the people at the top are cheating.

Can it really be considered cheating though? As far as I can find (and I don't think I've found the exact way to do it because people won't say!) it isn't a surefire way to hit the score cap.

I'm seeing blocks when I close my eyes. I hope I don't get to the same nadir I reached during my initial bouts with the first Lumines.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night (3am or somewheres) and play lumines in my mind. The board would be all jumbled as I try to remember where every block was.

*sigh

EDIT: I'll be happy to get 2+ million. I seem to max out at about 1.1 mill, though I've only played voyage 4 times.

SRTtoZ

Woot, reached 215k tonight on about my 10th try or so. My best before this was 110k and I'm new to the Lumines franchise so no laughing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Holy shit, didn't realise Pacific 707 was in this game! What a track! Think this Lumines may be my favourite set of tracks overall. A really solid bunch with no obvious clangers like some other iterations.

Lost hours of my life to it already. Soon that will be days. Buying digitally may have been a mistake...

Alchemy

So you can max out your avatar power using Hang Time between dropping blocks pretty easily, so I guess the next step is figuring out how to get all those screen clear bonuses? Still having issues with that especially with the cursed shuffle block.

RuGalz

I don't think Q cares that much since I never hear back from them so here's the strategy I used to get max score easily. At first I was enjoying the soundtrack but later I just finish it while watching TV...

The avatar ability to use is the one that give you the next three blocks as single color blocks.

First, you do need to clear the screen once. As soon as see you are going to be clearing the screen, activate the ability before next block comes in play.

Now you have three blocks, each will give you a clear screen bonus. During those three blocks, tap the rear touch pad to regain avatar ability quickly. Just roll all four fingers of both hands on the back of Vita will do the trick. Repeat this process over and over (yep, fun).

Each block completes 1% of the skin so each skin will give you 1 mil point doing this trick. It's pretty boring and tedious but you will get the trophy for using avatar ability 200 times pretty quick...

There are a couple skins dropping the block fast enough that I wasn't able to regain the avatar ability within 3 blocks. So just get pass those skins, clear the screen again and you are back in business.

Enjoy flooding the leader board...

That's so lame though. I want to see a real man get 10 million.

I'm not sure I could get through the skins a second time. They just start to fall so fast with no wait time. I got to 1.1 million without using any avatar abilities. I'm hoping to get 2 million without them at some point.

Alchemy

I don't think Q cares that much since I never hear back from them so here's the strategy I used to get max score easily. At first I was enjoying the soundtrack but later I just finish it while watching TV...

The avatar ability to use is the one that give you the next three blocks as single color blocks.

First, you do need to clear the screen once. As soon as see you are going to be clearing the screen, activate the ability before next block comes in play.

Now you have three blocks, each will give you a clear screen bonus. During those three blocks, tap the rear touch pad to regain avatar ability quickly. Just roll all four fingers of both hands on the back of Vita will do the trick. Repeat this process over and over (yep, fun).

Each block completes 1% of the skin so each skin will give you 1 mil point doing this trick. It's pretty boring and tedious but you will get the trophy for using avatar ability 200 times pretty quick...

There are a couple skins dropping the block fast enough that I wasn't able to regain the avatar ability within 3 blocks. So just get pass those skins, clear the screen again and you are back in business.

Enjoy flooding the leader board...

Well thats weak. Looks like the biggest issue is the ability to tap to gain avatar power, which I always felt was a bit distracting from the actual gameplay. Just patch that out and wipe the leader boards.

Sera O

Banned
I've played previous versions of Lumines but this is definitely the one with the most appealing track list for me. My SEN is volpanic (if you want another person on your friend-board to trounce! I'm not very good and always forget about those avatar abilities).

Is the trophy for using the avatar abilities cumulative or 200 uses in one go? If it's the second, I doubt I'll go there.

It's a bit weird how the trophies only register when you go back into the game after exiting, though.

I love 4am, so relaxing.

RuGalz

It's pretty stupid oversight. It really makes global leader board pointless. I stopped using avatar completely and still avg 1.5-2m but I have almost no incentive to play Voyage any more.

Is the trophy for using the avatar abilities cumulative or 200 uses in one go? If it's the second, I doubt I'll go there.

It's cumulative.

Top Bottom