• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So. Has this game improved much from the PSP/XBLA versions? I found the first game to be insufferably boring but I saw the tracklisting for this today and almost messed my pants. It was, just, beautiful. There's a Jam & Spoon remix for crying out loud. I just need to know if the game is more fun this time because if it is, even slightly, this is going to be my first Vita game when I get one.
Well, they made some slight gameplay changes that actually have a significant impact on high level play, but it's pretty much the same game.

I also feel that the music plays a HUGE role and I haven't enjoyed this much since the first one (this is even better, perhaps). Get it!

LaneDS

Just picked this up - any advice for a total lumines noob?

PSN id is gragy79 if anyone wants to add me btw

Honestly, just play a lot. It's really not a complex game and I think most people's brains will just adapt to things and consistently get better. Maybe at top tier that isn't the case, but I can almost guarantee that if you just play a fair amount you'll notice yourself playing better with each attempt. When you start seeing blocks outside of playing the game, you'll know you're on the right track.

Himself

This is the easiest Lumines yet. I demolished my ( admittedly not great) Lumines Live high score by a few hundred thousand on my first go.

After listening to the one 8 - 4 podcast with them talking about everything lumines I decided to buy the game now instead of waiting for a price drop. I just really liked everything that producer was saying and he seemed real passionate about it so I had to support him. Overall it is awesome and my 2nd attempt was much higher than expected at 500k+. almost made it through all the skins but I blame fatigue and tiredness getting in the way.

Anyways, I apologize if this has been discussed at length but I'm on my phone at work. Is there any reason why online multiplayer isn't in the game and do they ever plan on adding it in?

LaneDS

This is the easiest Lumines yet. I demolished my ( admittedly not great) Lumines Live high score by a few hundred thousand on my first go.

I agree that it's probably easier than the original since sometimes shuffle blocks (and the other special block) totally save your ass, but because of that I feel like the scores of different versions of the games probably can't be compared either.

Personally I like the additions because it's a game I can both relax with and feel semi-skillful at simultaneously. Haven't taken it out of Vita since it's gone in either (one chapter into Uncharted and it's going unloved thanks to Lumines and Tactics Ogre- sorry Sully).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, just finished my longest Voyage yet. I feel like I just woke up from a fever dream. I managed to cream my past high score (175K to 450K). Yeah, it's not a million, but I'm proud of it. I could have lasted longer, but this game can be a bit mentally exhausting, so I sort of gave up after a certain point. Good game.

krpiper

So I downloaded the demo of Lumines, as I was hesitant on grabbing it since I played lots of Lumines 2. I was sold in about 15 minutes haha, so I bought the DD copy.
But the problem is I have no Vita friends :(

Add me? krpiper

Wow, just finished my longest Voyage yet. I feel like I just woke up from a fever dream. I managed to cream my past high score (175K to 450K). Yeah, it's not a million, but I'm proud of it. I could have lasted longer, but this game can be a bit mentally exhausting, so I sort of gave up after a certain point. Good game.

Yeah, voyage is an experience you do when you have the time. I try to sit in a dark room and play with headphones on. 1 1/2 hours later I come out mentally cleansed. Master mode is where it's at for quick play.

theBishop

Banned
Is anyone else settling into the Stopwatch mode as their go-to? i've been playing the 180second mode feverishly (ps #4 in the world last week ;) ). Voyage mode is great, but the time commitment is too much to play all the time.

I wish the leaderboards were accessible through the web.

Is anyone else settling into the Stopwatch mode as their go-to? i've been playing the 180second mode feverishly (ps #4 in the world last week ;) ). Voyage mode is great, but the time commitment is too much to play all the time.

Stopwatch mode is my next target. (Trophy-wise, anyway. I'm not leaderboard material. :lol) I finally unlocked Zone 5 in Master Mode... just have the Stopwatch and avatar ability trophies left to tackle.

I need to break my habit of only using one button to rotate blocks. I'm pretty sure I could be playing a lot faster if I used both buttons.

zeioIIDX

When you start seeing blocks outside of playing the game, you'll know you're on the right track.

Wow. This has been happening to me a lot lately. This is my first Lumines game although I picked up Lumines Plus on the PS2 but never played it. Only other games to make me see gameplay when I close my eyes would be DDR/ITG, beatmaniaIIDX, and Phantasy Star Online. I've definitely noticed myself getting better but I still can't even clear Voyage mode. I get maybe 30 minutes in but fail. I assume Voyage mode goes through every single song of the game...?

punkypine

i've heard the leaderboards are filled with people using glitches? is this true?i know i'll never be able to compete with overall, but daily/weekly/monthly type things help me stack up how well i'm doing and it'd be disappointing if this was the case

BHK3

Banned
How is this game compared to supernova on psn? Does it still have the music creator and little avatar things?

Does it have any sort of online besides leaderboards?

Grinchy

Banned
I must really suck at stopwatch. That trophy for the 30 second mode is so hard for me. I think I got like 20 at one point, but I'm nowhere near 30.

I also suck at Master mode. I'm kinda stuck on Zone 2. I can get over 100, but I always make one or 2 mistakes that domino into ruining the run for me. I wonder why there isn't an easy way to retry the stupid thing. It takes way too long to go back to the menu and re-select Zone 2.

I also suck at Master mode. I'm kinda stuck on Zone 2. I can get over 100, but I always make one or 2 mistakes that domino into ruining the run for me. I wonder why there isn't an easy way to retry the stupid thing. It takes way too long to go back to the menu and re-select Zone 2.

I try to take it as slow as I can in the beginning while the board is clear--letting the blocks drop at their own pace instead of speeding them up. Basically I try to get as many "easy" squares as I can before I'm forced to start playing more frenetically, because once that happens I'll start misaligning blocks, and everything goes to shit real fast from that point. :p

And yeah, the load time to quit out and reselect the same mode is offputting and probably why I haven't bothered to work on the Stopwatch trophy since the last time I posted about it.

STG

just picked this up, such a fantastic game
can op please insert me into the psn id list?
psn id: ageha_stg

Agent X

I must really suck at stopwatch. That trophy for the 30 second mode is so hard for me. I think I got like 20 at one point, but I'm nowhere near 30.

It's tricky. I finally earned that trophy two days ago. I'd recommend that you just keep chipping away at it. You want to set up some big combos, but there's some luck involved in getting a series of blocks that can lead to those combos.

I was up to 7th or 8th skin in voyeuge mode, then when the next skin came the blocks dropped much faster than before.It was weird.Like for most of the game they were dropping at the same rate, then it changed quickly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I was up to 7th or 8th skin in voyeuge mode, then when the next skin came the blocks dropped much faster than before.It was weird.Like for most of the game they were dropping at the same rate, then it changed quickly.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Bump.

Anyone?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bump.

Anyone?
Completely normal. The skins have different Speed, and I believe the next one after the first fast one is a bit slower again. it's sort of like a Boss level ;p Although it will overall definitely become consistently more tricky the further you play.

Huff

Banned
Just got my vita on friday and picked up this right away.

When I check the rankings, it has my score at zero rather than what my high score should be. Has this happened to anyone else?

nvm figured it out

Manax

Loving this game, did a skin clear on the first play through looking to hit some high scores

Adding everyone one the list

Manax| Manax-aus

I apologize if this has been asked before but are there any soundtrack differences between the different regions? After Lumines 2 I'm a little scared to just jump into the Us release.

Raoh

Just got this game from Gamefly.

Going to just go ahead and keep it.

Does the unopened version come with anything special to warrant a brand new purchase over the gamefly used price version?

Jintor

Finally picked up a vita and my buddy deek threw in Lumines with it. So tell me gaf, how the heck do I get ridiculously high scores? I can barely break 60k on voyage

Just started playing this earlier today (my first Lumines game)

So awesome. Just learning to get the hang of things, but I think the selection of songs I have played through so far is great

How many Skins are in Voyage mode btw to satisfy the Journey's End trophy requirement?

No clue if this post will get any attention, but I'm having a couple of problems:

First, under World Block, all my previous entries say Invalid Data, but does have the timestamp and when clicked will say my contribution, but that it was unable to confirm results. Also, even though it's 9:23 my time here, it's already having an entry for the next day, and it's laybed as "Contributed" Anyone know a solution?

Second, I can't get the 3 played within 24 hours trophy to unlock. I know I've done it, and now I've logged almost 8 hours.

No clue if this post will get any attention, but I'm having a couple of problems:

First, under World Block, all my previous entries say Invalid Data, but does have the timestamp and when clicked will say my contribution, but that it was unable to confirm results. Also, even though it's 9:23 my time here, it's already having an entry for the next day, and it's laybed as "Contributed" Anyone know a solution?

Second, I can't get the 3 played within 24 hours trophy to unlock. I know I've done it, and now I've logged almost 8 hours.

Having the same problem as well.

So got the game yesterday in the Ubi-sale and i've completely fallen for this game. My first Lumines game despite playing the demo so many times on different platforms. Got 92,484 on my first voyage (which looks decent comparing to the scores in this thread). XD

Props to Q for such an addicting game with a fantastic soundtrack to boot.

Not sure if this was covered in this thread already, but I was reading the Lumines wiki and found some interesting info:

James Mielke, producer at Q Entertainment, originally pitched the game to Ubisoft as "Daft Punk Lumines".[4] He had wanted to distinguish the Vita version of Lumines and felt that linking it to a particular artist would provide that experience. Daft Punk had met Tetsuya Mizuguchi in the past and were familiar with his work, so they were excited to be involved.[4] They had wanted to compose a completely new set of music for the game but were too busy writing the soundtrack for Tron: Legacy. Consequently, they were forced to drop the project until a future date.[4]

Was there ever anything new on this?

Daft Punk Lumines sounds awesome, especially with Daft Punk coming out with a new album soon.

Sora_N

Got this today, played one game in bed and was hooked for 20 minutes straight. Such beautiful visuals compared to what I remembered from the old one.

Top Bottom