• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lumines: Electronic Symphony |OT| Shake Ya Body

Ridley327

How many tracks does Lumines Live share with the original Lumines? It sucks if we won't ever get the original as a download as I hear it's basically got the best track list of the series and I don't own a PSP. I love the tunes in Live and it's the only Lumines I've played.

IIRC, Lumines Live has all of the original tracks that Q? had for the first Lumines. What people lament is that they do not have the four licensed tracks (two from Mondo Grosso and two from Eri Nobuchika), which have never appeared outside of the original. The thread title references one such song.

Himself

IIRC, Lumines Live has all of the original tracks that Q? had for the first Lumines. What people lament is that they do not have the four licensed tracks (two from Mondo Grosso and two from Eri Nobuchika), which have never appeared outside of the original. The thread title references one such song.

Thanks! Google couldn't help me figure this one out. Can't wait to bring ES home when I get my Vita.

W1SSY

Just got the game and in my first try I got to 126k. Kind of lost it on the diamond plate and blue blocks because they seemed so much close after having all the bright colors.

I need some more people with Lumines and Vitas on my friends list. My PSN is W1SSY.

Lumines Live has a lot of the content from the original Lumines, but not a lot of the good stuff. It also has about 50 other skins for a total near 100, whereas the original has something like 40.

Won't happen. If they could, they would have already released Lumines 1 to PSN so we could play it on Vita.

Yep, yep. The 8-4 podcast made it clear that they would have to do a lot of work to re-license a lot of the songs.

Milkie, I'd definitely appreciate some epic DLC though. I was on the fence about the game before launch, but that 8-4 interview tipped me over the edge. Glad I did, as it's the most engrossing game on the system for me. DLC!

EDIT(ED): to not sound as blunt in that first part.

Ridley327

Lumines Live has a lot of the content from the original Lumines, but not a lot of the good stuff. It also has about 50 other skins for a total near 100, whereas the original has something like 40.

Thanks for the clarification. Off the top of your head, what ended up not showing up?

If one of them was My generation, I was smart to never buy it

Himself

Wow I had no idea there were that many skins! Is there any way to see how many you've unlocked for each challenge mode? I know you can see which ones you've unlocked under the custom skin mode, but I'm curious to know how many more i have to unlock for each challenge. And it also seems like the two genki rockets skins don't progress whatsoever...unless I'm wrong about that.

Sorry...I don't mean to change this to Lumines Live OT. Just seems like there are informed people hanging around so I figure I'd ask.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've always loved Lumines.

Can anyone explain what the shuffle block does? I kind of know what it does but how can you use it to your advantage?

You cant plan to use it. If it comes, you need to shuffle.

One thing to note though, it only shuffles the blocks it touches, and not everything on the screen. So if you have 2 separate building areas on screen, you could decide not to shuffle one of them if you carefully constructed that. Or you could try bonding both building areas to shuffle everything.

Other than that its just a "last resort" kinda thing when the screen is full.

abasm

I've always loved Lumines.

Can anyone explain what the shuffle block does? I kind of know what it does but how can you use it to your advantage?

It takes all of the blocks in the pile it touches and randomizes their individual colors. This can produce quads where there weren't any before. This is great when you're almost dead and need to give yourself some breathing room, as it will usually make a few quads from a single, large pile. This is awful when you're setting up a big combo and don't want the shuffle block to cancel it out.

Basically: if you're doing poorly, it's great, but if you're doing well, it stinks.

RuGalz

I am totally aware of that technique and use it all the time. But you're right in that bing a common oversight. It took me a while to realize i could do that until I first tried the puzzle mode in the original Lumines (about a year ago)

Is there no hope for me GAF? ;-;

The other one that is easily missed is:

Code:
XO
OX

O                  
X

becomes

X
O
OO
XX

Mzo

Lumines Live had the best little robotic voice that said "Achievements." I still say that all the time.

Wow I had no idea there were that many skins! Is there any way to see how many you've unlocked for each challenge mode?

Not sure about that. In playlist mode you can see how many skins you have. Here's a list of them to help you compare your list to(I highlighted the ones I would love to see as DLC in the Vita game. But honestly I'd pay for any DLC skins):

Circles
Just...
Morning Beats
Square Dance
Meguro
Strangers
Take A Coffee For A Moment?
Holiday In Summer
Take A Dog Out A Walk
Tiny Piano
Big Elpaso
Spirits
Block The Sky
AOI
Bean Jam
Round About
You Are Not Here
So That Someone May Visit You
Talk 2 You
Hometown
Kabuki
Aback
The Mission To The Moon
Bad Boy Century
Sister Walk
DAO
Darkside Beside The River
Kawai
Shadow Of Grandfather
Mysterious Travel To Asia
Cuckoo Clock
Hikaru Framework
Fanatic
My Generation
Slipping
Get Up And Go
Inheritance
Flashback
Day Dream
Butterfly Stroke
Brash
Urbanization
Working In The Hole
TSL
Da-Di-Do
The Spy Loves Me
Water, Flower & Lights
Fly Into The Sky
Chinese Restaurant
Xop
Big Thinks
Electric M.G.R
Bloomy Girls
Heavenly Star Remix
House66
4x4 Bricks
Cosmic Humming
The Wind Is Wailing
Flower Cards
In Late Night
Amber Moon
No Bird
Flavor
Lie In Rhodes
Pumpkin Head Man
New Cold
Compressive Flake
Minimum Vox
I Think
Nerorange
Freezing Point
Snow Girl
A Piece Of The Wave
Fab Bells
Deck The Halls
Papa!
Discoveries

45 Degrees
Neodimium
Rodent
Manager Class
Sparks
Please return my CD
Prime Factor
Machine Interface
That Savanna Calls
Auto Mobile Industry
Naha!!
The Bird Singing In The Night
The Speed Of Light
Japanese Form
Go To A Toy Town
Whoop-De-Do
Papa's Ukulele
Moon Beam
Mekong

You cant plan to use it. If it comes, you need to shuffle.

One thing to note though, it only shuffles the blocks it touches, and not everything on the screen. So if you have 2 separate building areas on screen, you could decide not to shuffle one of them if you carefully constructed that. Or you could try bonding both building areas to shuffle everything.

Other than that its just a "last resort" kinda thing when the screen is full.
It takes all of the blocks in the pile it touches and randomizes their individual colors. This can produce quads where there weren't any before. This is great when you're almost dead and need to give yourself some breathing room, as it will usually make a few quads from a single, large pile. This is awful when you're setting up a big combo and don't want the shuffle block to cancel it out.

Basically: if you're doing poorly, it's great, but if you're doing well, it stinks.
Thanks. I think I understand it a little bit more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not sure about that. In playlist mode you can see how many skins you have. Here's a list of them to help you compare your list to(I highlighted the ones I would love to see as DLC in the Vita game. But honestly I'd pay for any DLC skins):

Damn seeing that list makes me want to play some Lumines Live. Actually... :D

Damn seeing that list makes me want to play some Lumines Live. Actually... :D

The skin list is similar on the PSN game if you prefer that controller. Personally I like the new dpad on the 360 for Lumines. Neither the dual shock or the new 360 controller's dpads compare to the Vita though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The skin list is similar on the PSN game if you prefer that controller. Personally I like the new dpad on the 360 for Lumines. Neither the dual shock or the new 360 controller's dpads compare to the Vita though.

Yep Vita is king. I had lots of good times with Live though even with the shitty controller. Such an awesome chill-out game because you could do lots of laps and there were tons of really slow skins too.

2012-03-03092731.jpg

Weird, I think the game just bugged out with distributing XP. I just went to check the world block and of course, it was completed. I tapped to get my rewards, and even though I only contributed 400 blocks or so, I got a TON of experience. Jumped from level 3 to level 18.

Weird, I think the game just bugged out with distributing XP. I just went to check the world block and of course, it was completed. I tapped to get my rewards, and even though I only contributed 400 blocks or so, I got a TON of experience. Jumped from level 3 to level 18.

World Block never registers for me anymore. Always says I contributed nothing despite playing about an hour per day. Maybe it's just making up for the first time I went into World block and it jumped me from level 3 to 49.

I reversed that thing before I even took the game cartridge out lol. Looks purdy

Yeah, I was surprised when I got it in the mail a while back and opened it up and noticed some color from the outside slip cover... looked and though "cool!"... I still need to reverse it but I don't really show my cases out at all really.

Moze

Banned
the soundtrack is really good on this. i like 'the future of the future' i would of preferred the deadly premonition whistle theme though

Got the three hour trophy, the black bel thng and now a 1.2 million n voyage. Nothing special really. If you want big points focus on big combos. A 2x2 square is worth 1 vs a 3x3 square is 4. So focus on building big combos and only once you get the hang of that, and looking blocks ahead, start working on your speed. Your target is one drop per sec or less. But work on bulding combos first.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
World Block never registers for me anymore. Always says I contributed nothing despite playing about an hour per day. Maybe it's just making up for the first time I went into World block and it jumped me from level 3 to 49.

I notice World Block starts at 4:00pm pst daily. If you play hours after that, the block will already be completed and you won't contribute.

Contributing gives massive xp too. Makes the leveling system pointless

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I used to think I was so good at this. I can't crack 100k. Can someone give tips beyond a WHITE PAPER and that sketch posted by Keyser? Or is it really that simple?

Kazerei

Banned
I picked this up today and got just over 200k on my first go. I did play the original Lumines though, but that was years ago.

You have to start recognizing patterns and moves that might not be obvious at first. The sketch by Keyser is just one of many.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I notice World Block starts at 4:00pm pst daily. If you play hours after that, the block will already be completed and you won't contribute.

Contributing gives massive xp too. Makes the leveling system pointless

Is the leveling system really that pointful anyway? I didn't do any world block stuff and I got to 50 really fast, within the first week or so. There aren't any super secret avatars either it's all just permutations of the same few avatar abilities.

I do generally like the idea though of giving you little XP, just have to figure out next time what that XP leads to.

The key is effective use of the checkered blocks. Don't panic when they show up. They're especially useful for continuing already completed squares that are close to other blocks of the same color. Also, you really need to figure out how the excess blocks fall. So if there's a stack of two blocks, then this happens:
pnedV.jpg

I apologize for the terrible picture.

Y2Kev

Of course, after I complain about sucking I go on the best run I've had yet. At 151K and still going and completely safe for now.

Disco Infiltrator is a redzone for me. The colors just mess with my brain.

Y2Kev

All right! 277K. The problem is timing. It took me 52 minutes to get there. I got to Flying High and the colors just destroyed me. Couldn't make anything out.

How do you go faster? The people in the millions couldn't have been playing for 10 plus hours...

All right! 277K. The problem is timing. It took me 52 minutes to get there. I got to Flying High and the colors just destroyed me. Couldn't make anything out.

How do you go faster? The people in the millions couldn't have been playing for 10 plus hours...

The time spent on each skin is determined solely by how fast you clear blocks. Clear them really fast, next skin comes much faster.

I'm terribad at this game. I have managed to break 200,000 my last few playthroughs, quite an improvement from dying in minutes. In order to actual make any progress I think I will need to start learning patterns and how to deal with the blocks, and then that will eventually become second nature.

Alchemy

I'm terribad at this game. I have managed to break 200,000 my last few playthroughs, quite an improvement from dying in minutes. In order to actual make any progress I think I will need to start learning patterns and how to deal with the blocks, and then that will eventually become second nature.

What helps me is having three towers, a spot to drop solids and half blocks for easy clears, and a spot to dump shuffle blocks so they don't screw up my main towers. The hardest party is clearing away the garbage after the shuffle block drops.

I got 1.4 million in like 1.5 hours. It's about putting together as big a square as possible during each sweep of the timeline.

A lot of times: More blocks on screen = More points possible per time sweep

However, this makes the game a little bit harder. For the first 30 minutes or so, I basically put down 1.5 boxes per second...even if it's detrimental. At that point, I quickly just analyze what could make a large set of squares, and build up as big a color sweep as possible.

newsguy

For all those bad at thos game please take my advice. The Japanese PSP and the first Lumines is the reason I stopped lurking and got on GAF. I'll tell you like they told me, keep playing and the game just "clicks." You can't exolain it, it just happens, and when ot does you'll know.

Kazerei

Banned
Second try, I made it to the final skin and then game over'd. Those blocks fell so fast and I screwed up. High score is now 388k woo!

I'm trying to do the 30 squares in 30 seconds challenge, the best I've done so far is 23. Really tough...

What helps me is having three towers, a spot to drop solids and half blocks for easy clears, and a spot to dump shuffle blocks so they don't screw up my main towers. The hardest party is clearing away the garbage after the shuffle block drops.

That was my natural inclination when I first started playing Lumines, but I actually play better when I don't do that.

Alchemy

That was my natural inclination when I first started playing Lumines, but I actually play better when I don't do that.

Do you do anything else instead or just clear blocks like crazy? I found it pretty easy to half clears and lots of garbage clutter if I don't stick to the plan.

Had this game since launch, have only been through voyage about 3-4 times now. First time i got 500k, second time i lost at around 400k, third time i got through all the skins but only added about 20k to my top score. I dont really notice any particular strategies that help me do good, besides knowing how to deal with criss cross and three/quarter blocks like. I'd say getting into the tempo of each skin is crucial.

Nert

I wish that I could give more coherent advice to people, but I think that I've just brute forced my way into scoring in the millions from all of the original Lumines that I played. I don't give much thought to building separate towers or anything of that nature.

Generally, I try to create at least 4 2x2 squares before each pass of the sweep-line to keep the score multiplier going. Chain blocks (and shuffle blocks, sometimes) create a lot of opportunities to clear enough blocks to get "ultra bonuses" and I find myself caught up in their momentum for a few passes after that. Other than that, I just drop the blocks quickly and burn through the skins pretty fast. It takes me approximately 45 minutes to come full circle in Voyage.

Is there any way to "pre-hear" what song goes with a skin? I'd like to build a playlist of songs I like, but I don't have them memorized.

Do you do anything else instead or just clear blocks like crazy? I found it pretty easy to half clears and lots of garbage clutter if I don't stick to the plan.

Not really. I kind of just go with the flow and put the blocks where they want to go. Even if you mess up, you might accidentally set up a big combo. If you keep a level head and start to recognize some patterns, then you can play for a very long time. It helps to use the shuffle avatar power in case you get over your head and have trouble seeing any patterns in your current stack of blocks.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's a way to put your playlist on repeat? I kind of just want to play my playlist forever instead of voyage mode, but it keeps ending.

turnbuckle

So I didn't realize that tapping on the rear touchpad quickly recharged the avatar ability. I think this is a terrible feature and I see people exploiting it to get ridiculous scores. It just doesn't make sense on any level to me. Trying to take advantage of that sort of takes me out of the "trance" I get into when playing the game and it also puts a heavy reliance on special blocks rather than just playing the game "normally". :(

So I didn't realize that tapping on the rear touchpad quickly recharged the avatar ability. I think this is a terrible feature and I see people exploiting it to get ridiculous scores. It just doesn't make sense on any level to me. Trying to take advantage of that sort of takes me out of the "trance" I get into when playing the game and it also puts a heavy reliance on special blocks rather than just playing the game "normally". :(

It's not really a competitive game to me (scoreboards or otherwise), so the back-tapping is an easy issue to avoid. I simply never do it, which they made really easy to do by giving it a horrendous sound effect that in no way matches the song currently playing. In a game where every sound appears to be meticulously molded to the skin playing, it's really odd that they'd do this.

I love Lumines ( and Electric Symphony was the first title I bought for my Vita ), but I am not very good at it either. Still, I'd love some friend-list competition, so feel free to add me. My PSN ID is arthexavier.

Raonak

Banned
I heard this has an RPG style leveling system. someone care to explain?

It might be the thing to make me buy it. -just jamming the demo constantly right now.

I heard this has an RPG style leveling system. someone care to explain?

It might be the thing to make me buy it. -just jamming the demo constantly right now.

I was excited about the leveling too, but there's actually not a whole lot to it. You get XP after each play session based on how many squares you clear, with bonus XP if your session lasts long enough. You can also get bonus XP if you contribute to the World Block's successful erasure on a given day. Leveling up unlocks nine skins not found in Voyage mode, as well as more avatars. The max level is 50, and I think once you hit max level (I'm not there yet) you'll have all skins and avatars unlocked.

Top Bottom