• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Polygon] COD: WW2 Will Highlight the Vulnerability of its Heroes (no health regen)

Fuck health packs. Industry rejected them in favor of regen for a reason

The industry didn't reject them. It just adopted them last gen in the overall push to make things easier for gamers. Now it's starting to change back. No one lost their shit over The Last of Us not having health regen.

Tecnniqe

Banned
When will a game let me play as a German soldier during WW2 like this?

The one sided loop is getting old but I'm interested to see what they've come up with. Better than SPAAAACE anyway.
Customization sounds like its a bit open-worldy in addition of that image with all those people just standing around.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Fuck health packs. Industry rejected them in favor of regen for a reason
Funny how the best FPS of last gen had health packs.

MWSnap016.jpg

Kinyou

When will a game let me play as a German soldier during WW2 like this?
I'm not sure how people would react to that. Especially with how patriotic these games tend to be. Would be weird to honor Allied veterans and then to shoot them in the next mission.

So now spend half the game searching for health packs lol. There is a reason why regen became the standard, it makes playing the game more enjoyable and less tedious. Most games that had this back in the day also had save anywhere. Don't try to turn cod into arma.

Kinyou

So now spend half the game searching for health packs lol. There is a reason why regen became the standard, it makes playing the game more enjoyable and less tedious. Most games that had this back in the day also had save anywhere. Don't try to turn cod into arma.
Your squadmembers have various functions, like one guy throws you ammunition.

Even in gameplay we see this focus manifest in interesting ways. Some allies have special attributes and skills that can be triggered dynamically during gameplay. One member of your squad can toss you fresh clips in a way that recalls Bioshock Infinite's Elizabeth,
http://www.vg247.com/2017/04/26/cal...all-the-right-things-to-get-me-back-on-board/

I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is a medic who can fix you up post battle which would eliminate the need to search for medpacks

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm not sure how people would react to that. Especially with how patriotic these games tend to be. Would be weird to honor Allied veterans and then to shoot them in the next mission.

Why would you need to honor the Allies?

Make it from a pure German Soldier perspective.

Much more interesting as its hardly been done.

Looks cool. I hope they have some classic COD1 and 2 easter eggs in there or something. Like what if they are all still canon and fighting along side you. That would be the kind of silly I would want.

Funny how the best FPS of last gen had health packs.

MWSnap016.jpg

Speaking of, I wonder if instead of going to back to the future, one of the other COD sub franchises will go weird alt history like Wolf.

Now give the give us custom servers with mod support and of course, dedicated servers. If you do this, I'm fucking listening :).

But seriously, glad health items are back.

Hux1ey

Banned
Now give the give us custom servers with mod support and of course, dedicated servers. If you do this, I'm fucking listening :).

But seriously, glad health items are back.

I'm not sure they'll go completely back to their roots and give the PC version the focus it deserves lol.

You never played New Order, have you?

It was a jab because I thought he quoted me and not the New Order, then noticed he did but it was too late to edit.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
This is one of the most important changes they could have made, has me incredibly excited. I can only hope that it makes its way into multiplayer as well.

I'm only down for this if blood and color tint doesn't stay spattered on your screen if you're severely injured. It's barely acceptable with regen but at least it goes away.

zero chances of this happening in multiplayer, unless they massively change whole mp design.

You should just fully prepare yourself for MP to be completely separate in terms of realism, you'll see people running around with glowing neon green guns, futuristic guns, weird melee weapons etc. How else is Activation going to milk loot crates?

They clearly want to go back to the first CoD style, I don't see this having regen in multi and health packs in SP.

Maybe a regen mode?

The first cod's map design was very, very different than the sprint everywhere maze like map design of modern Cod MP tho. Cod1 was more like day of defeat in design. If they actually change MP design to be like Cod1 I'm buying this day 1 but I doubt they will take such a big risk.

You should just fully prepare yourself for MP to be completely separate in terms of realism, you'll see people running around with glowing neon green guns, futuristic guns, weird melee weapons etc. How else is Activation going to milk loot crates?

Yep that's what I'm expecting. Neon green kar98ks loot crates and such.

Hip Hop

zero chances of this happening in multiplayer, unless they massively change whole mp design.
Pretty much, and it would be stupid to remove them.

I'm gonna say this is SP only.

No way they do this in MP, if anything, they'll probably have one mode for that but that's it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They rejected them to appeal to a more casual audience, with great success.
It's harder to design levels around health packs. If they're too liberal with them then the game becomes a cakewalk. If they're too stingy then you might have to restart a level. You can easily have a balls hard game with health regen.

Stiler

I like hard games (Dark Souls, etc) but health packs are no more realistic then health regen.

IMO health regen or not should be an option, like a difficulty selection.

Falchion

So it sounds like there is some diversity in the playable characters. Also the health changes could be a huge deal.

Hux1ey

Banned
Meh. Asides from its narrative which was great, its combat encounters, environments, and gun feel were mediocre.

Zero interest in a sequel for it.

Gun feel was awesome with a mouse, not sure on pad. Reminded me of old school shooters with proper raw mouse input.

sjay1994

Gun feel was awesome with a mouse, not sure on pad. Reminded me of old school shooters with proper raw mouse input.

I can see that. It felt awful on a controller, so I am going to assume those who sing the games praises probably played it on PC.

ghostjoke

Banned
Are we finally returning to the light of UO?

I like hard games (Dark Souls, etc) but health packs are no more realistic then health regen.

IMO health regen or not should be an option, like a difficulty selection.

How in hell do you balance a game around both options?

Top Bottom