• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: WWII (PC/PS4/XB1, Nov 3) Info: Campaign, Zombies, MP, Trailer, More

So I got my beta code from Amazon. I clicked PlayStation and entered in my code. But it didn't ask my PSN info or anything. It said it went successful... but I didn't enter in my PSN info.

Did something go wrong/will I get the beta still?
How long did it take after preordering to receive your code from Amazon?

Randam

Women in MP is fine - everybody wins.

Adding women into the SP campaign where there were not any [*historically* based on the 1st Infantry Division's actual progression/journey] simply for the sake of inclusion is not historically accurate, which is something Sledgehammer Games has said they are vehemently striving for.

I'm totally down for it in MP, however.

Do we know if they are adding women to both SP and MP or just MP?

I don't know.
there were a lot of female soldiers in the red army, but were there any in the german and western armies?

so in a game that takes place on the eastern front, women soldiers would fit.

but this game takes place on the western front.

and if there werent any female surving in the western armies, it wouldnt fit in SP nor MP.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't know.
there were a lot of female soldiers in the red army, but were there any in the german and western armies?

and if there werent any female surving in the western armies, it wouldnt fit in SP nor MP.
This is a good joke post

Randam

Yes historical immersion is just so important to COD's multiplayer
the game where both sides have regenerating health and respawns, the same killstreaks and all factions use eachother's weapons.
you would be OK with jet packs too? Or dinosaurs?

But the one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other anyways.
Respawns and health regeneration is normal in video games.
Just because we don't have that in real life doesn't mean the game doesn't need to follow any rules at all.

And btw: I only used the weapons belonging to the faction I was playing in W@W.

This is a good joke post

Why do you think that?

Do we really need to force diversity?

But the one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other anyways.
Respawns and health regeneration is normal in video games.
Just because we don't have that in real life doesn't mean the game doesn't need to follow any rules at all.

And btw: I only used the weapons belonging to the faction I was playing in W@W.

Why do you think that?

What's forced about it? Add a female character, done.

I don't know.

This game is not supposed to be a 1:1 perfect recreation of WW2. Women are included in MP is because women buy and play this game and want to be able to pick characters that reflect them.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

Randam

There's nothing forced about this bruh

It's precedence at this point in the series. But I gotta assume you're just being purposely obtuse.
If I make a game about an historical event and then put things into it, that weren't a part of the real thing, then it gets a bad taste imo.

This game is not supposed to be a 1:1 perfect recreation of WW2. Women are included in MP is because women buy and play this game and want to be able to pick characters that reflect them.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything.
It's not supposed? Where did you get that?
Devs said it will be historical accurate and the want to bring WW2 to a new generation.

I agree.

Sledgehammer Games has mentioned that they're striving for staunch historical accuracy and also that they want to pay tribute to the men and women who fought in this war by showing the war the way it actually was by getting all the little details correct. They have stated this intent numerous times.

Based on those statements, they don't need to add anything that wasn't factually there in SP. If they want to pay tribute and honor the memories and deeds that were accomplished in WWII, then they need to keep it strictly historically accurate.

Really, why would they keep saying "It's historically accurate, visceral - the way it was, we're paying tribute to those that fought by capturing authenticity, etc" if they're not going to stick to that?

Unfortunately in multiplayer, anything goes, so brace yourself for things that are quite the opposite of historically accurate lol

Toa TAK

Banned
You guys are complaining about historical inaccuracies in multiplayer and campaign.

Where were you people when WAW came out?

If you don't like women just come out with it.

Whoa! Easy there!

That's quite the rude assumption, wouldn't you agree?

I have absolutely nothing against women, but if I tell you that I'm going to grill you a New York Strip steak and instead, I give you a piece of grilled fish; then obviously I didn't stick to my word.

Sledgehammer Games talks about maintaining strict, historical accuracy, but if they add-in things that truly were not there *historically* for the sake of inclusivity, then they're not being true to their word and that's the bottom line.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For people so concerned about historical accuracy, you sure seem uninterested in the actual history of World War 2.

So, in the campaign, you play as Rousseau from the French Resistance (the Maquis). She's in the first image, and some of her accomplices (also in the game) are in the second.

6vuvm.png

6xu8r.png

Here are some actual photographs of the World War 2 Maquis.

This also applies to nations like Italy.

Now, your contention may be that Rousseau's listed as a leader in the Maquis. Well, let's go look up some information about an actual female Maquis soldier. This is about Nancy Wake, a British woman who was living in France, worked independently as a resistance member at first, escaped to Britain, trained, and airdropped back into France to continue her work with the French resistance.

The Washington Post said:
The Gestapo called her ”The White Mouse" for the way she deftly avoided their traps.

Nancy Wake, 98, who died of an infection Aug. 7 in London, was one of the most effective and cunning British agents working in German-occupied France during World War II.

A sultry glamour girl before the war, she married a French playboy industrialist whose tastes, like hers, ran to caviar and champagne midmorning and love in the afternoon. They were living in southern France when the war ignited.

She hid downed Allied servicemen at her home and led them over the Pyrenees to the safety of neutral Spain. She later helped organize thousands of French resistance fighters known as the Maquis, by meeting Allied arms drops, distributing weapons and training 7,000 partisans in preparation for the Normandy invasion.

She earned decorations from the British, French and American governments; she was belatedly honored in Australia, where she had grown up. Exact figures are hard to establish, but she was reported to have helped save many hundreds of lives.
As her involvement in the war deepened, Ms. Wake was trained by the British to kill with her bare hands (she delivered a fatal karate chop to a sentry at an arms factory), parachute into enemy-held territory and work a machine gun.
”She is the most feminine woman I know until the fighting starts — then she is like five men," a colleague in the French resistance once said.
With her highly motivated force, Ms. Wake planned and executed a successful raid on a Gestapo garrison and an arms factory in central France in 1944.
She was dauntless. When a German counterattack against the Maquis disrupted lines of communication, Ms. Wake covered 200 kilometers by bike over hostile ground to get and receive crucial messages. She slept in haystacks or in the open during her 72-hour journey, which resulted in reestablishing radio contact with London.

The nature of her work made Ms. Wake cautious. Three French women came to her attention for possibly being spies. Under her interrogation, she became satisfied two were telling the truth. She sentenced the third to death by firing squad.

Nirolak's Note: There's more here, but I think you get the idea.
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gIQABvPT5I_story.html?utm_term=.e83434e73307

It's possible no one called her Lieutenant Wake, but I think it's pretty clear she was serving in a leadership role.

For people so concerned about historical accuracy, you sure seem uninterested in the actual history of World War 2.

So, in the campaign, you play as Rousseau from the French Resistance (the Maquis). She's in the first image, and some of her accomplices (also in the game) are in the second.

Here are some actual photographs of the World War 2 Maquis.

This also applies to nations like Italy.

Now, your contention may be that Rousseau's listed as a leader in the Maquis. Well, let's go look up some information about an actual female Maquis soldier. This is about Nancy Wake, a British woman who was living in France, worked independently as a resistance member at first, escaped to Britain, trained, and airdropped back into France to continue her work with the French resistance.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gIQABvPT5I_story.html?utm_term=.e83434e73307

It's possible no one called her Lieutenant Wake, but I think it's pretty clear she was serving in a leadership role.

I am very well versed in the history of World War II. My only concern with Sledgehammer Games touting "historical accuracy" at every turn; is if they add something that most definitely did not occur during the 1st Infantry Division's time in Europe.

Women in the French Resistance was a common thing and when the narrative path crosses over with Rousseau and we get to play as her - that's fine because that's historically accurate. Women were a valuable asset to the French Resistance because women can get by with things and into places that men cannot.

My only concern is them adding something that definitely did not occur in any way, just to simply be inclusive.

I really didn't like BF's throwback to world war 1. The weapons were just too much of a bore for me. I'd be worried I'll have similar feelings here.

Being more concerned about historic "authenticity" in a video game than caring about your fellow gamers is pretty sad. If seeing a lady soldier hop and prance about in multiplayer along with the hopping and prancing male soldiers breaks your immersion that badly, don't buy this game. There I just saved you $60, you're welcome.

Being more concerned about historic "authenticity" in a video game than caring about your fellow gamers is pretty sad. If seeing a lady soldier hop and prance about in multiplayer along with the hopping and prancing male soldiers breaks your immersion that badly, don't buy this game. There I just saved you $60, you're welcome.

Maybe you weren't being serious, but I'm pretty sure you just invalidated your point with that statement lol

Randam

We know there were women fighting.
But I think the red army is the only one that officially had women serving.

I'm all for playing as resistance groups and women. But wouldn't really like it, when they would put women in groups they weren't a part of.

Dubz

This isn't a Ken Burns doc. It's a series known for fast paced, bombastic gameplay, and Michael Bay type campaigns.

I really didn't like BF's throwback to world war 1. The weapons were just too much of a bore for me. I'd be worried I'll have similar feelings here.

That's how I feel with all the modern stuff now. Oh look, another AR-15 derivative that kind of shoots slower so it's not the same as the M4... oh wow, another semi-auto sniper rifle that's worse than the one bolt action in power but makes up for it in fire rate... oh wouldya look at that, all these tilting barrel semi-autos with the one revolver that's automatically more powerful because it's a revolver!

kuYuri

There was the Maquis in Treyarch's Call of Duty 3 and one of the main members featured prominently was a woman named Isabelle DuFontaine. It wouldn't be the first time a CoD game had a prominent female in a leadership position in a WWII game.

YkllCz3.png

Alienous

I'm all for playing as resistance groups and women. But wouldn't really like it, when they would put women in groups they weren't a part of.

This tends to be my stance too. And I'd feel the same way if the game included weaponry or locations that have no connection to the actual events. If you're doing WWII, do WWII. MP tends to take all the elements of an era and allows the player to choose them, so Resistance Fighters fits the bill where women represented as part of some regiment they never fought with doesn't.

GenericUser

That's how I feel with all the modern stuff now. Oh look, another AR-15 derivative that kind of shoots slower so it's not the same as the M4... oh wow, another semi-auto sniper rifle that's worse than the one bolt action in power but makes up for it in fire rate... oh wouldya look at that, all these tilting barrel semi-autos with the one revolver that's automatically more powerful because it's a revolver!

I don't think this will be a Problem. WW2 has a much bigger weapon variety then WW1. The Allie, German and Russian Arsenal should easiely be enough to fill the 4 to 8 Slots per class.

It's up to the game designers to properly balance the weapons though.

This tends to be my stance too. And I'd feel the same way if the game included weaponry or locations that have no connection to the actual events. If you're doing WWII, do WWII. MP tends to take all the elements of an era and allows the player to choose them, so Resistance Fighters fits the bill where women represented as part of some regiment they never fought with doesn't.

Well said gentlemen, well said :)

Liamc723

Well said gentlemen, well said :)

I'll be playing as a woman in multiplayer just to annoy you sort of people.

Hux1ey

Banned
There was the Maquis in Treyarch's Call of Duty 3 and one of the main members featured prominently was a woman named Isabelle DuFontaine. It wouldn't be the first time a CoD game had a prominent female in a leadership position in a WWII game.

YkllCz3.png

I would love to replay this game, why oh why didn't they release it on PC?

jet1911

It'll be the same thing in this game.

That's how I am. Extremely unpopular opinion here but I didn't like how bf1 mixed in different race. Yes I know there was blacks fighting in the US army for example but they were segregated in their own units.

Yes historical immersion is just so important to COD's multiplayer
the game where both sides have regenerating health and respawns, the same killstreaks and all factions use eachother's weapons.

That's an apple to orange comparison. Things like respawns and kill streaks are traditional video game elements but the theme is WW2 and by adding female soldiers to the Western front it impacts the theme and atmosphere.

But here's my biggest issue with it, from the small loud vocal group that is pushing for female WW2 soldiers only some are going to actually buy the game and within that very few are actually going to play as the female soldiers that they want "so badly" put into the MP. It's like the people who pretended to get upset over EA making a WW1 game last year because it was "too violent".

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Am I the only one hoping to see "Switch" added to the title every time this thread is bumped?

And if the mods consider this port begging, my only defense is that it's already been established they do and have supported recent Nintendo consoles(so please consider that, I don't want to get banned). I hope it's a surprise announcement at E3. To Activision's credit, they have supported recent Nintendo consoles with COD games. Let's hope they do so for the Switch.

Hux1ey

Banned
Am I the only one hoping to see "Switch" added to the title every time this thread is bumped?

And if the mods consider this port begging, my only defense is that it's already been established they do and have supported recent Nintendo consoles(so please consider that, I don't want to get banned). I hope it's a surprise announcement at E3. To Activision's credit, they have supported recent Nintendo consoles with COD games. Let's hope they do so for the Switch.

I'm not sure the switch would be powerful enough to run this, they'd probably have to make a separate version.

13ruce

Banned
I kinda agree devs should be able to make the game in their vision, perfect diversity would should not always be the goal. If it fits the game why not but to force it eh.......no imo.

Whats the matter with everyone wanting perfect balance in games these days? They are fictional they don't have to be 100% correct like in the real world.

KC Denton

I kinda agree devs should be able to make the game in their vision, perfect diversity would should not always be the goal. If it fits the game why not but to force it eh.......no imo.

Whats the matter with everyone wanting perfect balance in games these days? They are fictional they don't have to be 100% correct like in the real world.

From what I've been observing, it's Sledgehammer's vision to have female characters in this game, and a loud vocal minority is trying to scream about how this is diversity check-boxing without knowing anything about the game and how those female characters will be implemented besides a trailer and quotes from interviews.

From what I've been observing, it's Sledgehammer's vision to have female characters in this game, and a loud vocal minority is trying to scream about how this is diversity check-boxing without knowing anything about the game and how those female characters will be implemented besides a trailer and quotes from interviews.

I just want the best, most historically accurate, immersive, entertaining and invigorating World War II experience since "Saving Private Ryan" in interactive form.

Kalentan

Same engine as quake 3..

I mean that's an extremely simple way of putting it. It's been iterated upon so many times that it's probably hard to tell it's origins if you were to actually work on it. After all, it's not called id Tech 3 anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IW_engine

At least in Sledgehammers case, the engine has been mostly re-written.

But even for IW and Treyarch if you take a look you'll notice the massive amount of improvements it's had.

It's had a divergence around Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, where Treyarch had their own modified version of the engine that debuted with BO2 and then improved with BO3 (which also, like Sledgehammer, had the majority of the code re-written). Then you had the release of Ghosts which became IW's own heavily modified IW engine based off of MW3. Then sometime when Sledgehammer began work on AW, they had taken one of these versions of IW and re-wrote a lot of it and now have their own.

Their all part of the IW Engine family tree but it isn't one singular version of the engine being used. So while yes, the classification of the Engine still shows it's part of the IW family, we've basically had 'new' engines for AW and BO3 with only IW being a little bit less clear.

HussiZooT

I only want to know if this game will have gore and interactive/destructive environments?

Do we see limbs flying about? Do we see heads being blasted into chunks with a close range shotty? Do we see trees crumbling under fire? Do we see interior environments being blown apart by gunfire?

I really hate static environments in shooting games. Makes the world feel so dead.

I know Battlefield 1 does the destruction but COD should get on it as well. I actually quite liked the semi-interactive environments from the MW series. The world sort of felt alive because of the chaos that gunfire caused.

-hadouken

Spurious argument. I'm a big fan of female leads in films, and female protagonists in games. I'm not however keen to see an alt-history where women were fighting the historical battles of the Western Front.

Top Bottom