• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Cool, thanks for reminding me of some of those details.

In regards to the second point:

So, Cocoon is basically destroyed, or uninhabitable, or something? I mean, Ragnarok happened. As far as I can tell, Cocoon wasn't saved. But at least humanity was, and they now live in a world of freedom, without the Fal'cie governing things.

jiggle

Magnus said:
Cool, thanks for reminding me of some of those details.

In regards to the second point:

So, Cocoon is basically destroyed, or uninhabitable, or something? I mean, Ragnarok happened. As far as I can tell, Cocoon wasn't saved. But at least humanity was, and they now live in a world of freedom, without the Fal'cie governing things.

it's not destroyed, i might need to watch it again to make sure. i don't think ragnorak was literally meant to take apart cocoon. just killing orphan was enough to destroy cocoon and all its ppl

their focus was to destroy orphan, causing cocoon to crash into gran pulse and be destroyed
but van/fang saved it

as for whether or not cocoon is inhabitable
i don't think it is
fal'cie controlled and ran everything
without them, the human there can't really do anything with those machines

so they must rely on their own hands from now on to survive

Cynar

jiggle said:
to me
the fal'cie are like abandoned childs that want to find their parent, it's their entire motivation since the very beginning

1) the maker created the worlds for human and left it in the care of fal'cie
he went on to create more worlds for more human/falcie (presumably in vsXIII + agito)
the fal'cie hoped to get his attention with the death of millions of human (since the maker seem to care more for them)
that obviously didn't happen, so he didn't come back (and who's to say he will even if cocoon did get destroy)

2) orphan is what gives power to all the fal'cie in cocoon
that's why we saw cocoon falling once orphan died

4) iirc correctly, ragnorak didn't do anything to cocoon. she destroyed the mobs that was attacking it. the ppl lives on, but now need to face the future without a babysitter. i think gran pulse fal'cie are still there, since they're not tied to orphan.

5) we saw the entire human population on cocoon saved >.> not everything need to be spelled out literally imo. plus, they're probably saving stuffs for a sequel or dlc

The Maker appeared(by appeared I mean used it's powers to intervene) during the fight with Orphan when everyone was turned into Cieth's. The maker then gave them a new focus of destroying Orphan and saving Coccoon. That is why their brands turn white. It's also explained in the Analects that the Maker drained Ragnarok of it's power during the Gran Pulse/Cocoon war which explains why Fang's brand was white.

Magnus

jiggle said:
it's not destroyed, i might need to watch it again to make sure. i don't think ragnorak was literally meant to take apart cocoon. just killing orphan was enough to destroy cocoon and all its ppl

their focus was to destroy orphan, causing cocoon to crash into gran pulse and be destroyed
but van/fang saved it

as for whether or not cocoon is inhabitable
i don't think it is
fal'cie controlled and ran everything
without them, the human there can't really do anything with those machines

so they must rely on their own hands from now on to survive

I like the hilarious justification for Leona Lewis' song title :lol

Meier

Argh, just died a second time on
Orphan
. Got it to about 2million this time but then it was using both powers at once and I couldn't keep up. I wish there was an auto item...half the time I can't tell what to use to fix a status problem. :(

It seemed like I died from his Death spell..is that possible? Snow had been the only one before that to do so. Seems pretty freaking cheap on such a hard fight if he does indeed target you as well...

Magnus

Cynar said:
The Maker appeared(by appeared I mean used it's powers to intervene) during the fight with Orphan when everyone was turned into Cieth's. The maker then gave them a new focus of destroying Orphan and saving Coccoon. That is why their brands turn white. It's also explained in the Analects that the Maker drained Ragnarok of it's power during the Gran Pulse/Cocoon war which explains why Fang's brand was white.

Is that...for sure? The cause of what happens is extremely vague. I didn't even know what these Analects were till I thought to look in the almighty datalog. Lo and behold, story information for me to fill in the gaps.

Meier said:
It seemed like I died from his Death spell..is that possible? Snow had been the only one before that to do so. Seems pretty freaking cheap on such a hard fight if he does indeed target you as well...

It can, and does. It's incredibly cheap and ridiculous. I decided to risk losing people on occasion with low health just to maintain Relentless Assault for a greater period of time so I could stagger more often and just get the fight over with, to reduce the change my leader would get insta-killed.

Good luck man!

jiggle

Cynar said:
The Maker appeared during the fight with Orphan when everyone was turned into Cieth's. The maker then gave them a new focus of destroying Orphan and saving Coccoon. That is why their brands turn white. It's also explained in the Analects that the Maker drained Ragnarok of it's power during the Gran Pulse/Cocoon war which explains why Fang's brand was white.

wow i completely missed that, need to rewatch it
that entire part had be scratching my head tbh, but i guess it explains how everyone returned to being human
i guess the maker had been watching over human all along
the fal'cie really are the red headed stepchild :lol

Magnus

jiggle said:
wow i completely missed that, need to rewatch it
that entire part had be scratching my head tbh, but i guess it explains how everyone returned to being human
i guess the maker had been watching over human all along
the fal'cie really are the red headed stepchild :lol

I suppose it makes sense, given that Fang and Vanille emerged from their first crystal sleep at the start of the game when they received a new Focus. Stands to reason that's why the party awoke from their's here too. Sazh says something about getting a new focus, but we don't hear from who, or what that focus is.

Unless we did...and I can't remember because it's 4am :lol

I actually think all my questions have basically been answered. Thanks guys. :lol

jiggle

Magnus said:
I suppose it makes sense, given that Fang and Vanille emerged from their first crystal sleep at the start of the game when they received a new Focus. Stands to reason that's why the party awoke from their's here too. Sazh says something about getting a new focus, but we don't hear from who, or what that focus is.

Unless we did...and I can't remember because it's 4am :lol

also explains why darj and serah got turned back into human too.

:lol we need a spoiler button XD

jiggle

Magnus said:
Wait, how?

They didn't receive a new focus. Shouldn't they be screwed?

a reward from the maker? light and team got turned into crystal after completing their new focus too, but somehow they were returned to flesh also

surprised fan&van didn't get such treatment also

_Xenon_

Banned
I just don't get it
how did they turn back to human after turning into ceth? Somebody told me they were given a new focus but who did that and what's the difference between the new focus and their old one (destorying cocoon)?

Magnus

The answers to both of your questions is probably that "it just works best for the story". Fuck logic up the ass. Let's make it look cool, and work out.

Cynar

jiggle said:
a reward from the maker? light and team got turned into crystal after completing their new focus too, but somehow they were returned to flesh also

surprised fan&van didn't get such treatment also

yup, that's what I think. The only thing that's odd is with Vanille and Fang not being turned back but they are at the centre of all the crystal holding Cocoon up so maybe when Cocoon is finished healing or completely saved they will awake again or something. :lol Maybe the rest of the analects explain something about that

MrDenny

5. Why the fuck don't we get to see any of the aftermath, any of the lives we saved, any of the future events in our party members' lives? The wedding, a reunion of father and son, of sisters, and of an engaged couple? It's over so fast, what the shit.
FFXIII-2

jiggle

_Xenon_ said:
I just don't get it
how did they turn back to human after turning into ceth? Somebody told me they were given a new focus but who did that and what's the difference between the new focus and their old one (destorying cocoon)?

Fal'cie gave them the task to kill orphan and destroy cocoon
they failed and got turned into c'ieth

The maker turned them into human and gave them a new task of saving cocoon
they succeeded and got turned into crystal

Then they, along with darj and serah, were turned back into human (by the maker?)

I'm still finding it incredibly difficult to sit down and play this game. I finally got to the tutorial for the Paradigm Shifts and Crystarium or whatever it's called system. I'm starting to doubt my opinion will change anytime soon. So far, this is a pretty underwhelming Final Fantasy for me.

rataven

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm still finding it incredibly difficult to sit down and play this game. I finally got to the tutorial for the Paradigm Shifts and Crystarium or whatever it's called system. I'm starting to doubt my opinion will change anytime soon. So far, this is a pretty underwhelming Final Fantasy for me.
That's exactly how I felt at that point. Push on a bit though. I think in the next chapter or two, things start to get interesting. It could just be because Snow has been mostly absent. But the paradigms are becoming more useful and the Crystal thing is finally opening up. I'm in chapter 5 and while I don't love it, I'm at least starting to enjoy the game a whole lot more.

RadioHeadAche said:

It gets better. Too fucking bad I am heading back to school tomorrow and wont be able to fucking play it until thursday again.

_Xenon_

Banned
jiggle said:
Fal'cie gave them the task to kill orphan and destroy cocoon
they failed and got turned into c'ieth

The maker turned them into human and gave them a new task of saving cocoon
they succeeded and got turned into crystal

Then they, along with darj and serah, were turned back into human (by the maker?)
But how do you know it's the maker that did all these? There's no explanation in datalog about this at all and for the whole game we don't even know if the maker stuff is true or not ...
Damn plotholes screwed my mind :(

Rpgmonkey

Magnus said:
Where do these Analects come from, and why am I missing so many of them? :lol

Completing the missions.

I'm gonna have to reread the datalog though, I thought the Analects were kinda nonsensical. :p

BeeDog said:
Every regular enemy encounter has been hell so far on Chapter 10. :( Really hard.

Perhaps you should consider farming for CP. There is a nice ledge that has 4 jumps and leads to tons of slugs that give a nice amount of CP. I stayed there to max out the main roles of my team there, though I didnt think the fights in that chapter were all that difficult.

BeeDog

Dedication Through Light said:
Perhaps you should consider farming for CP. There is a nice ledge that has 4 jumps and leads to tons of slugs that give a nice amount of CP. I stayed there to max out the main roles of my team there, though I didnt think the fights in that chapter were all that difficult.

I'm already maxed out, and I jumped the gun now. Finding most regular encounters pretty easy there right now except for the Alchemical Oozes (I just run past them). But now I'm stuck on THAT ch. 10 boss, any suggestions?

desverger

So I just beat the final boss of Chapter 11 (wasn't too hard, just took my dear time with it). Wondering if to move ahead to 12 and do my farming in Chapter 13.. I think I will, doing missions is fun and all, but I think the inevitable Adamantoise farming is looming ahead anyway, since I'd want to 5-star everything then :p

Managed to make 2 pairs of sprint shoes last time, made the encounters quite a lot faster :lol

I'm feeling the game is at it's best at the moment, I just got the
unique skills for all characters - HIGHWIIIIIIND
and spamming Blitz/Ruinga combo with Fang while 2 RAVs in my team spam Aeroga is very flashy :p

Call me crazy but I really like Fang-Light-Sazh combo in my team, I upgraded some Pleiadas-High Powers for Sazh and putting a Cerberus paradigm up (COM-COM-COM) is all sorts of insane :lol

Sazh might not get a lot of Commando abilities but he's a real good all-rounder.

inner-G

Banned
Dries said:
But are all the texts sharp and smooth though? I know Splinter Cell: Conviction wasn't HD either but the texts looked pretty sharp nonetheless.
Its sharp, just not as sharp as the other version. Its still a fully functional game.

Bauer91

Damn, I had a lot of truble with the Chapter 9 boss and now I can't beat the Chapter 10 boss
(Cid)
... I was SO close once, but the battle was long, he cast Doom, and Lightning died. And it's only going to get harder later on? :(

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
Bauer91 said:
Damn, I had a lot of truble with the Chapter 9 boss and now I can't beat the Chapter 10 boss
(Cid)
... I was SO close once, but the battle was long, he cast Doom, and Lightning died. And it's only going to get harder later on? :(

The game rewards you for going balls to the wall attack and then switching to defensive and healing modes only when absolutely needed. If you play conservatively, your reward will be doom. The fights are not designed to be played like MMO encounters.

Bauer91 said:
(Cid)

Well the target time for future bosses was usually around the 8 minute mark for me; usually if they cast Doom then you are in fact taking too long, so usually have to reevaluate the strategy and take a more offensive/relentless approach. At least, I found that that is what worked for me.

Bauer91

I guess I could try a more offensive approach and see how that goes, but I'm afraid that'll just lead to my main character dying earlier.

Ahahahaha, I went all out and defeated him in 1 minute and 58 seconds! :lol
He didn't even get to transform, I was constantly lounching him in the air!

Zoe

Jamesfrom818 said:
Whats to stop the Pulse Falcie from turning all the Cocoon immigrants into l'Cie? Isn't that pretty much how all the humans on Pulse died?

What would be the purpose? There's no more Cocoon to destroy.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Whats to stop the Pulse Falcie from turning all the Cocoon immigrants into l'Cie? Isn't that pretty much how all the humans on Pulse died?

Cocoon has been destroyed, or at least rendered ineffectual. I can't remember where exactly, but I'm pretty sure in the datalog it's mentioned that the Pulse Fal'Cie went overboard creating L'Cie because of the Cocoon Fal'Cie purging Pulse in order to repair Cocoon. That's no longer an issue. Although I guess it's still possible that L'Cie will be created to perform the hunts, the implication is that was sustainable.

Bauer91 said:
I guess I could try a more offensive approach and see how that goes, but I'm afraid that'll just lead to my main character dying earlier.

Ahahahaha, I went all out and defeated him in 1 minute and 58 seconds! :lol
He didn't even get to transform, I was constantly lounching him in the air!

lol that was pretty fast! I guess the game endorses people taking risky strategies.

Blablurn

need some help for the fight against
Odin
:( i can't attack him because he's to strong. when i concentrate myself on healing the time ends before he surrenders.

Dra-Q

Banned
Blablurn said:
Odin
:( i can't attack him because he's to strong. when i concentrate myself on healing the time ends before he surrenders.

Learn to play the fucking game? Srly, Odin is a piece 'a cake, you just need to fill his bar with combo-attacks.

Ricker

Bauer91 said:
(Cid)

Odin saved my butt on that one...sometimes I forget to summon them...for that fight I waited as long as I could,then summoned him,he actually revived Lightning at some point and we did the killing blows in the Gelstat mode...I had more problems in this game with the Eidolon fights and some groups(like that Motorcycle Gatling gun thing with the 2 flying PSCom guys)then the actual Bosses hehe...

Ricker

Himuro said:
Need two more collectors catalogs so I can get tiara crowns from mission 7 mark to turn them into sprint shoes. But I forgot where in the hell I got the collectors catalog to begin with.

EDIT:WRONG QUOTE ;p

eznark

Banned
Finally finished up chapter 9, kind of losing steam just a little bit. The story is obviously getting more interesting but actually playing through the game is a lot less appealing right now. Turning into a little bit of a slog, just because I know that the game pretty much starts at Chapter 11 and I don't think I am ready for that.

I hear 10 is pretty cool though, hopefully not insanely long.

usea

Dra-Q said:
Learn to play the fucking game? Srly, Odin is a piece 'a cake, you just need to fill his bar with combo-attacks.
No need to be a dick.

I found the most of the game incredibly easy, and I never once maxed out my crystarium during any chapter. But I lost to Odin probably ~20 times. He killed me several times before I got a single move off.

rataven

Blablurn said:
Odin
I had the same bit of trouble with him just last night. If you used Libra on him, it doesn't tell you exactly what you need to know. I healed a few times, then switched over to RAV/RAV and took him down in seconds.

Dra-Q

Banned
eznark said:
Finally finished up chapter 9, kind of losing steam just a little bit. The story is obviously getting more interesting but actually playing through the game is a lot less appealing right now. Turning into a little bit of a slog, just because I know that the game pretty much starts at Chapter 11 and I don't think I am ready for that.

I hear 10 is pretty cool though, hopefully not insanely long.

Well, chapter 4-10 are meh, but the game really starts at Grand Pulse. I lost 10h just in chapter 11, it's like crack.

And ch. 10 is just a huge "copy-paste" scenario, hated it.

Blablurn

Dra-Q said:

his attacks are just too strong :(

rataven said:
I had the same bit of trouble with him just last night. If you used Libra on him, it doesn't tell you exactly what you need to know. I healed a few times, then switched over to RAV/RAV and took him down in seconds.

alright, i will try this. thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom