• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast 2 |OT| The Holy Trinity

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just going to go and say 'nope' to this one. I really want to play it, but I don't think my heart can take it anymore. And I've played all sorts of crazy horror games. Guess I need an extended break after RE7.

The first game was one of the most unnerving things for me, at least in the first few hours. After that it got repetitive and a little flat. Whistleblower was just crazy, straight out of nightmares stuff! Gonna give the second game a try once it's in a sale half a year from now..

RytGear

Urgh, was really pumped for this as I mostly enjoyed the first game but it seems they didn't fix or at least reduce my biggest problem with the game which is how you can die really easily, taking out a lot of the tension. It looks like such an interesting and scary place to explore but, despite the good scores, a lot of the reviews seem to be mentioning this same point.

Really excited for this now after seeing PC Gamer and Slasher's quotes.

Stumbled on this the other day, a scene initially taken out of the Australian version due to ratings board but now removed entirely across all regions. Needless to say it's pretty graphic (and sexual) in nature, spoilering it for NSFW reasons:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/04/what-changed-with-that-outlast-2-scene/

In one cut-scene in the game ... a female creature prepares Blake for a ritual. She says, "I want to see your true face. Your seed will burn this world." Shortly afterwards, he objects to having psycho-active dust blown into his face, yelling, "Nope! Nope!" before he stumbles into a forest clearing.

His vision blurring, he witnesses what appears to a ritualistic orgy. His wife, Lynn, calls out for his help, saying, "It hurts! Oh god!," as she hangs from chains on a raised platform at the front of the clearing. Humanoid creatures, their skin grey, spattered with blood and scarred, implicity have sex as others pray, or chant, or gesticulate.

One creature has another bent over a rock, thrusting as they implicitly have rear-entry sex, another sits astride the pelvic region of a creature prone on the ground, moving their hips rhythmically as they too implicitly have sex. Two other pairs of creatures in the clearing are also implicitly having sex.

As Blake yells for the creatures to "Get away from her!" a female creature, her greyish breasts bared, pushes him onto his back, holds his arms to the ground and repeatedly thrusts her crotch against him. As Blake protests, saying "No! Stop that!" the creature thrusts again, before placing its face over his midsection and then sitting up and wiping its mouth.

That's pretty nasty but still curious if we might get that back in a later edition.

Harlequin

I wonder why they cut it, if it was for artistic reasons or as a form of self-censorship. If it's the latter, I certainly hope it'll be restored.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Judging by the other stuff still in the game, I'm lead to believe it was cut for other reasons than censorship. This game isn't shy from the morbid and deranged, even in a sexual nature or towards woman and kids, that's for sure.

If that's the case I'd agree.

BTW: This game is up on PSN, not the trinity edition though.

edit: 18 GB??? And they didn't offer preload, wow wtf...it's midnight here. Damn

edit2: No, it's 21 GB.

Just some quick impressions (first 5 minutes):

1. Visuals are amazing, I can't believe this is UE3
2. If anyone wants to play this game with subtitles...forget it...they're made for ants. I have a big TV and I can't read them. Well ...I can...but only for 2-3 minutes because I get headache. This is bullshit. It's unbelievable that developers still think this is okay.

One hour in...so far I prefer Outlast 1. There is a serious lack of linear SP games today. Everything has to be "more open". Man, I miss the oldschool horror games. Perfect oldschool horror without cinematic direction and open world approaches. The old games were linear but the way itself was the real obstacle. Did you find all items? Did you find all weapons (even if they were crap), did you find any optional places or cutscenes? Did you solve any (optional) puzzles?
Outlast 1 wasn't oldschool at all but it had linear level design so you always knew what to do. This game is...ugh... pixel hunting for batteries and/ or supplies so far. And not in a good way (like Point & Click Adventures, I love them). It's just....ugh...
It's like the developers thought " Oh you like being under time pressure...cool...try this!" This is not fun at all. I want to look at everything, I want to enjoy the atmosphere and environment but I can't. I have to to look for batteries. This game is fucking dark, even more than Outlast 1.
I'm not saying I don't like this game. It's just.....developers of horror games should just go back and learn everything from the beginning. Horror is not "jump scares and running away". Horror needs time. Horror needs atmosphere. Outlast 2 is like "we throw it right in your face but you can't defend yourself so please look for batteries".

One hour in...so far I prefer Outlast 1. There is a serious lack of linear SP games today. Everything has to be "more open". Man, I miss the oldschool horror games. Perfect oldschool horror without cinematic direction and open world approaches. The old games were linear but the way itself was the real obstacle. Did you find all items? Did you find all weapons (even if they were crap), did you find any optional places or cutscenes? Did you solve any (optional) puzzles?
Outlast 1 wasn't oldschool at all but it had linear level design so you always knew what to do. This game is...ugh... pixel hunting for batteries and/ or supplies so far. And not in a good way (like Point & Click Adventures, I love them). It's just....ugh...
It's like the developers thought " Oh you like being under time pressure...cool...try this!" This is not fun at all. I want to look at everything, I want to enjoy the atmosphere and environment but I can't. I have to to look for batteries. This game is fucking dark, even more than Outlast 1.
I'm not saying I don't like this game. It's just.....developers of horror games should just go back and learn everything from the beginning. Horror is not "jump scares and running away". Horror needs time. Horror needs atmosphere. Outlast 2 is like "we throw it right in your face but you can't defend yourself so please look for batteries".

Very interesting outlook but totally can understand. I actually enjoyed exploration and figuring out where to go because I felt the first game was a bit too linear for my tastes. Though there are some more straight forward moments in the game.

drotahorror

I was pretty hype but I think I'll wait a bit. I remembered that I never even beat Whistleblower so I just went through that over the past couple days. It really just didn't do much for me. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for these sort of games at the moment.

I'm more interested in Little Nightmares and maybe even that What Remains of Edith Finch.

DirtyLarry

Damn, totally forgot this was coming out. Just preordered the Trinity physical on Amazon for $31.99 but it says they need a little more time to provide a delivery estimate. Hopefully it is within a few days.

greelay

Because I am a baby...i cannot play this game. But id like to watch a stream. Anyone know of any good streamers who plan on playing this one?

SZips

Just finished it. Steam said I took about 8 hours to finish it, which seems about right.

I really did not enjoy it. Then again, I really did not enjoy the first game much either.

It really felt like a lot of the game was just horror game trope after trope. Then sprinkle in some gratuitous "shock value" stuff with a hefty dose of convoluted and often nonsensical story line.

I'm sure those who just want some cheap scares or those that scare easily will have a blast here, but this wasn't for me. Sadly, I'm kind of over the whole jump scare tactics plus "hide repeatedly from this one really strong foe in this new area" that this game used in spades, much like the first game.

Nemesis_

The game wasn't censored at all, I think Red Barrels just went for a less is more approach with said scene.

Really hope the DLC focuses on the elements left unexplained but highlighted in the base game.

The game wasn't censored at all, I think Red Barrels just went for a less is more approach with said scene.

Really hope the DLC focuses on the elements left unexplained but highlighted in the base game.

They have to.. So many hints and nods to it yet no answers.

terrible

Banned
$32.99 Canadian on Steam? That's better than I was expecting considering how bad our dollar is. That makes it an easy choice over the PS4 version, though I will probably buy a physical copy for PS4 eventually when it drops in price just because.

dinoroar

Banned
God damn I am excited to get home and play it. Disappointed in reading people not liking how open this one can feel, the linearity of Outlast 1 was one of the reasons I liked it so much.

Hopefully I can learn to enjoy being terrified and confused and alone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Q: Does this game support PS4 Pro?
A: Yes it does, PS4 Pro mode has been confirmed and will improve image quality, shadows, and textures.

Do we know whether this means higher resolution or 1080p w/ extra effects ?

Also, will probably be day 2 or 3 for me :p

Top Bottom