• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast 2 |OT| The Holy Trinity

pitchfork

Saving this for the weekend when I can play it at night, but cant wait! I'm a huge horror fan and loved the first one and whistleblower

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It seems i have a problem on PS4 Pro. The game is too dark, even with the max gamma.
No problem on other dark game on the same setup.
No problem with the Outlast 2 demo neither.

Here 2 screens took in the same place, demo and final game. i only put the link :

Demo : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/17/1493118379-outlast-2-demo-01.png

Final game : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/17/1493118371-outlast-2-02.png

That's too dark .. if its showing on the captured screen, that's probably how it's meant to look. Maybe they tweaked the area in the final game. ?

is that a direct capture using the Pro or from a separate capture device ?

drotahorror

It seems i have a problem on PS4 Pro. The game is too dark, even with the max gamma.
No problem on other dark game on the same setup.
No problem with the Outlast 2 demo neither.

Here 2 screens took in the same place, demo and final game. i only put the link :

Demo : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/17/1493118379-outlast-2-demo-01.png

Final game : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/17/1493118371-outlast-2-02.png

Looks almost like your tv is set to limited rgb and the console is set to full range rgb.

Ricker

Does the game use the PS4 PRO? I am sure the game could be maxed out on PS4 PRO with an increased resolution very easily.

Q: Does this game support PS4 Pro?
A: Yes it does, PS4 Pro mode has been confirmed and will improve image quality, shadows, and textures.

Might try and rent this today otherwise with my backlog it will have to wait and also the so so reviews.

HDM

is that a direct capture using the Pro or from a separate capture device ?

Direct capture.

Looks almost like your tv is set to limited rgb and the console is set to full range rgb.

It's the first thing that came to my mind before posting. Setup checked, all is ok. I've play a few dark game to test (RE7, Assemblance, Outlast, PT, etc), no problem.

Even the demo at 50% gamma (defaut) is ok.

Here at max gamma i can't see shit.

For those that want a breakdown of the story and/or too scared to play, go here:

http://www.powerpyx.com/outlast-2-story-ending-explained/

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!
Not clicking this right now, but I hope the story is seperate from the first one. Probably not but one can hope.

I'm expecting a better story than Outlast 1. It had a pretty campy story and I found it pretty funny at parts. I hope this takes itself a little more seriously because of the darker subject matter.

I liked the set up for the Whistleblower, that was actually kinda creepy. Well the 'corporation kidnaps you' part.

Plqying some tonight.

T.O.P

Banned
Game got creepy so fuckin fast lmao

Graphics and performance are fantastic so far, as it's the atmosphere and sound design...will continue playing later tonight :)

Cudder

Game is up on PSN. Might wait for a sale, 40$ CDN is a bit much. Definitely interested in it though. I knew the original like the back of my hand, probably could have ran through it with my eyes closed.

terrible

Banned
I liked the first Outlast and Whistleblower a lot but I'm not really enjoying this one very much yet. The pacing feels off to me, it's almost nothing but running away the entire time. I don't have enough time to soak in the atmosphere or anything and I guess the trial and error chase gameplay is just getting stale at this point since it really worked for me in the first game but it's a swing and a miss here. When you have me running away 24/7 I get desensitized pretty damn quickly and it stops being scary and just becomes an annoyance.

I really hope I change my mind as I progress otherwise this is going to be my biggest gaming disappointment of the year.

Cudder

I liked the first Outlast and Whistleblower a lot but I'm not really enjoying this one very much yet. The pacing feels off to me, it's almost nothing but running away the entire time. I don't have enough time to soak in the atmosphere or anything and I guess the trial and error chase gameplay is just getting stale at this point since it really worked for me in the first game but it's a swing and a miss here. When you have me running away 24/7 I get desensitized pretty damn quickly and it stops being scary and just becomes an annoyance.

I really hope I change my mind as I progress otherwise this is going to be my biggest gaming disappointment of the year.

Your description of Outlast 2 is the original to a T, so I`m not sure why you`re not liking this one.

terrible

Banned
Your description of Outlast 2 is the original to a T, so I`m not sure why you`re not liking this one.

There seems to be less downtime in between chase sequences in this one, and I guess that style of gameplay is starting to get old without introducing new mechanics that change how things plays out. The level design may not even be as good either but that's harder to judge at this point. There was one specific sequence that I enjoyed and it was largely because the design of the area flowed perfectly.

Bate

The setting of part 2 is appealing, but it seems that it is exactly like part 1 in terms of gameplay and plotting and that is not a good thing. Initially I really like part 1 because that immersive found footage angle felt fresh. However, the game got really tedious around half-time when the by the numbers plot and the ultra-repetitive gameplay showed the low ambitions of the game. Only blood and gore but no brain.

catspit

Game is up on PSN. Might wait for a sale, 40$ CDN is a bit much. Definitely interested in it though. I knew the original like the back of my hand, probably could have ran through it with my eyes closed.

40$? Dang. I thought this would be closer to 15-20$ CDN. Game must be longer or something

jahepi

I just got the game for $14 dollars on Steam, i do not know if its a price error but i bought it from México, i´m ready to play this gem.

Played the first game over the course of two days stuck at home alone during a snowstorm. I’m going to save this for next winter it’s not the same trying to play it now.

gagecube

Banned
I played like 25 minutes up to my first enemy and died 6 times. I ran away and it still caught up to me and killed me, and i can't see shit haha

Didn't even know this was coming out until last week. For some reason thought it was later this year! Played the first Outlast from PSPlus and really enjoyed it. Super tense and one of the most emotionally draining games I've played. I also feel as if the chasing gameplay lost a lot of it's scare factor at about 70% through the original and became more frustrating than anything. However, still enjoyed the game for making me feel alone and terrified almost the entire time through.

I've played about two hours or so of Outlast 2 now and so far, it's alright. The graphics are definitely improved from the first, has a really clean and polished look to it. Sound design is phenomenal just like the first and downright chilling.
The crunching noises when you're stepping on all those dead babies...had me physically wincing

At my current point though, I feel like the game is slower paced than the first a bit.
I met Ethan and watched him die from that woman creature with the bix pickaxe thing, I just got back to the village after that and have to turn a generator on for an elevator.
So far I feel like there was only two enemy sequences:
near the barn in the first area and the cornfields area.
I feel like the majority of the time has been pretty quiet just walking through misc. buildings or through the desert canyons in the dark. Maybe I'm not far enough at all, but does it get more intense further ahead?

Didn't even know this was coming out until last week. For some reason thought it was later this year! Played the first Outlast from PSPlus and really enjoyed it. Super tense and one of the most emotionally draining games I've played. I also feel as if the chasing gameplay lost a lot of it's scare factor at about 70% through the original and became more frustrating than anything. However, still enjoyed the game for making me feel alone and terrified almost the entire time through.

I've played about two hours or so of Outlast 2 now and so far, it's alright. The graphics are definitely improved from the first, has a really clean and polished look to it. Sound design is phenomenal just like the first and downright chilling.
The crunching noises when you're stepping on all those dead babies...had me physically wincing

At my current point though, I feel like the game is slower paced than the first a bit.
I met Ethan and watched him die from that woman creature with the bix pickaxe thing, I just got back to the village after that and have to turn a generator on for an elevator.
So far I feel like there was only two enemy sequences:
near the barn in the first area and the cornfields area.
I feel like the majority of the time has been pretty quiet just walking through misc. buildings or through the desert canyons in the dark. Maybe I'm not far enough at all, but does it get more intense further ahead?

Yes, it gets more intense. Dont worry. I felt the same that it had a slower start so was surprised people are thinking its all fast paced. That doesnt happen till later imo.

Granjinha

I think the pacing is much better in this one and the gameplay feels way more organic thanks to no TURN ON THESE THREE THINGS

the story and characters are terrible, though. Couldn't care less about any of them and that really hindered my enjoyment from the game.

Jaraghan

Just finished this. Took me about 5 hours on normal difficulty. Some quick thoughts:

-story was fucking bonkers. The first game was weird with the ghost dude, but this is on a different level. Also, I couldn't make heads or tails of most of the plot and ending
How did Lynn get a baby? Why did that woman want to fuck me? What the hell is that ending? Why is Jess related to what is going on? What is that tentacle monster is the school flashbacks?
-gameplay got boring after the 2 hour mark for me. I was hooked until then. The game was spooky, enemies were intense and the scenery was disturbing. But at some point I just lost interest. Nothing scared me anymore. The enemy AI is laughably easy. I ran past so many and they ultimately were not a threat. I'm not sure how changing the difficult would help here.
-2 sections of the game pissed me off. The
school
section and the ending section. The
school
was so boring because
it was just corridor walking. Occasionally a document to pick up I guess. The only thing that was somewhat enjoyable was that it moved the Jess story along, but like I said earlier the story is fucking wack so it ultimately amounted to nothing for me. The school was "walk down a hallway, open a door, see item of interest, bad guy spawns, run away, come back to real world" every time.

And the ending area was
insanely confusing. Way too many corridors imo. It didn't help build tension, because it was frustrating just having one hallway to walk down. I did enjoy it when there were a few ways to approach the area, but I only remember two areas like that in the ending. This brings me to my next point too.
-I did like the open worldness of the game at points though. Often times there were multiple ways to get to where you need to go, and it was nice to see many different ways to lose your enemies.

In the end, I'd give the game a solid 5/10. I don't think it is as great as the first one (first one has flaws too), but it's decent if you liked the first one and want more.

Edit: oh also something I LOVED about this game was a certain enemy
the pickaxe lady. Her accent, what she says, her appearance, that terrifying shriek and music that plays when she appears and is hunting your ass down.

You know, it's not often that a game takes place
where you fucking live (Prescott AZ area)
. I'm fucking terrified of this game, just because of that.

The graphics are insane too. I'm not surprised, I loved the first one. Very impressed. Kudos to Red Barrel

WaterAstro

The ending...

was similarly dissatisfying as the first. Why give the player a garbage, "you lose" ending?
The game's not Red Dead Redemption.

I think the pacing is much better in this one and the gameplay feels way more organic thanks to no TURN ON THESE THREE THINGS

the story and characters are terrible, though. Couldn't care less about any of them and that really hindered my enjoyment from the game.

Isn't this more of just a constant chase? People saying they barely get any exploration and it's just going from one chase to the other, and that this is a disappointment compared to the first game. I might have given this a chance if it wasn't as jumpscare reliant as the first one or was not as cliched, but I'll pass as they didn't improve on that.

Chabbles

Enjoyed chapter 1, chapter 2 has really ramped up the trial n error/intsa death mechanic from the get go. It aint a fun mechanic devs, specially when relied on so often. A smooth experience, not constant interruptions (that shits as atmosphere killer) like we got in Outlast 1 would have been better imo.

Just finished this. Took me about 5 hours on normal difficulty. Some quick thoughts:

-story was fucking bonkers. The first game was weird with the ghost dude, but this is on a different level. Also, I couldn't make heads or tails of most of the plot and ending
How did Lynn get a baby? Why did that woman want to fuck me? What the hell is that ending? Why is Jess related to what is going on? What is that tentacle monster is the school flashbacks?
-gameplay got boring after the 2 hour mark for me. I was hooked until then. The game was spooky, enemies were intense and the scenery was disturbing. But at some point I just lost interest. Nothing scared me anymore. The enemy AI is laughably easy. I ran past so many and they ultimately were not a threat. I'm not sure how changing the difficult would help here.
-2 sections of the game pissed me off. The
school
section and the ending section. The
school
was so boring because
it was just corridor walking. Occasionally a document to pick up I guess. The only thing that was somewhat enjoyable was that it moved the Jess story along, but like I said earlier the story is fucking wack so it ultimately amounted to nothing for me. The school was "walk down a hallway, open a door, see item of interest, bad guy spawns, run away, come back to real world" every time.

And the ending area was
insanely confusing. Way too many corridors imo. It didn't help build tension, because it was frustrating just having one hallway to walk down. I did enjoy it when there were a few ways to approach the area, but I only remember two areas like that in the ending. This brings me to my next point too.
-I did like the open worldness of the game at points though. Often times there were multiple ways to get to where you need to go, and it was nice to see many different ways to lose your enemies.

In the end, I'd give the game a solid 5/10. I don't think it is as great as the first one (first one has flaws too), but it's decent if you liked the first one and want more.

Edit: oh also something I LOVED about this game was a certain enemy
the pickaxe lady. Her accent, what she says, her appearance, that terrifying shriek and music that plays when she appears and is hunting your ass down.

Read this link to understand the story:

http://www.powerpyx.com/outlast-2-story-ending-explained/

Also, the Outlast comic that takes place between 1 and 2 fills in some details

This thread is also very helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/outlast/comments/67ar5b/spoilers_outlast_2_story_discussion_megathread/

Granjinha

Isn't this more of just a constant chase? People saying they barely get any exploration and it's just going from one chase to the other, and that this is a disappointment compared to the first game. I might have given this a chance if it wasn't as jumpscare reliant as the first one or was not as cliched, but I'll pass as they didn't improve on that.

Nah, it's not. It is faster but that's not a bad thing considering how terrible the pacing was near the end of Outlast 1, especially with the constant *turn 3 generators on* stuff.

I'm at the part
after you hide in the confession box while they question that guy
. How much more do I have left? All the running is becoming a chore.

I thought the first game was scary but this one seems to be trying too hard.

PSOreo

About to purchase, I loved the first one so for folks who have already played it; is it worth it and is it decent?

terrible

Banned
I finished it. I'd say for me it got better near the end of the game (from the
raft ride until the end
).
It had a bit of an Apocalypse Now "floating down the river to Kurtz's compound" anticipation to it and the mine was kind of claustrophobic like something out of The Descent.
I am still not a fan of the first portion of the game and they made the story too mysterious and hard to follow so it's certainly flawed but in the end I suppose I did enjoy it enough to feel it was worth the $33.

Granjinha

I'm at the part
after you hide in the confession box while they question that guy
. How much more do I have left? All the running is becoming a chore.

I thought the first game was scary but this one seems to be trying too hard.

I think you are nearing the half of the game

In. I want this game to fuck me up. Loved the first one, even though the ending went way too far off the rails for me.

Completely the same for me.

I split the game up into 3 pretty spread out sessions, so by the time I played again it would take some time for the repetition to set in and the environment to get "boring" and lose it's creep factor. I feel that since I did this the game managed to keep me engaged until around the end. The endgame sort of spoiled some of the experience for me. Love it regardless!

Ghost don't do much for me

Hopefully this one doesn't go too far in that direction. Kind of worried.

verbatimo

Finished the game. Took about 7 hours on hard.

Game has way too many escape sequences and too little peace time to explore.

Plot was ok.

I give 7/10

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I somehow completely missed that this was out so soon.

rtcn63

Just finished it. First few hours are trademark Outlast but with some extra frustration (that first enemy encounter does feel particularly cheap- why you can't you climb onto that low roof or just stealth past?).

The second-half is... imagine if someone took True Detective season 2 and translated it into a video game. Not just the story, but the acting, the plotting, the pacing, the dialogue, the nonsense elements you just can't understand as to why they were included, other than to intentionally keep the audience from being entertained. Checkpoints that put you right in front of enemies, a trial-and-error aspect that quadruples down on even the Whistleblower DLC. The "school" sections that should never have existed because they add nothing of value.

There is a genuine argument to be had that Outlast 2, at least much of it, is bad. I didn't have a single moment of joy in those mid to late game hours. The original Outlast and Resident Evil 7, as flawed as they are, are IMO leagues above Outlast 2.

Top Bottom