• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taylor Swift: Reputation

sectionse7en

Neo Member
Heard the new track on Radio 1 as I was commuting this morning, and it's bad. I really enjoyed the awkward silence afterwards with Nick Grimshaw bluntly saying "I don't like it at all". Excellent.

Shame though, as I quite enjoyed 1989.

Korey

I'm sure she's received a decent amount of hate to be considered victimized.

Lying about "Famous" aside, there's always been an element of slut-shaming associated with criticism of Swift. She dates a lot, but that's because she was a 20-something in Hollywood who could pretty much only date other famous guys. She used her dating experiences to write songs because she's a singer-songwriter, it's what she does. We, the public, don't know if the purported reason for the Katy-Taylor feud is true nor do we know if any of the Calvin allegations are true. All we know is some magazine said something plausible about this and Calvin angrily tweeted something about that, and accept it as gospel.

In short, she is a victim in some respects, but she's largely the victim of things that have backfired horribly on her and things that she hasn't spoken publicly about.

Yes we do. Katy straight up explained everything. Unless you don't believe her for some reason.

Also, she exploits and plays up being a victim, and she gets paid doing it. Which is why everyone hates her.

She's a perpetual victim:

• Katy Perry.
  • Kanye.
  • That Spotify Apple shit. (look who's back??)
  • Calls out Nicki Minaj for "pitting women against each other" even though she wasn't even talking about her.
  • Watch her milk that shit the year after the Kanye incident: https://vimeo.com/85828206
I don't think I've even mentioned anyone she's dated.

It's her business model. Everything she does is calculated af.

The fact I'm even here talking about her means it worked.

Still better than anything Kanye has done (well, besides Ultralight Beam. That was great).

I liked everything besides the chorus, which is not good. The whole thing is certainly different though. I'm intrigued for the new album.

maybe if you removed the chorus on ULB...i say away with choruses on most songs now a days tho

Yes we do. Katy straight up explained everything. Unless you don't believe her for some reason.

Also, she exploits and plays up being a victim, and she gets paid doing it. Which is why everyone hates her.

• Katy Perry.
  • Kanye.
  • Calls out Nicki Minaj for "pitting women against each other" even though she wasn't even talking about her.
  • Watch her milk that shit the year after the Kanye incident: https://vimeo.com/85828206

It's her business model.

Kanye was a cunt for interrupting her win and making it all about himself. Criticising Swift for "milking" that is fucking ridiculous.

Also, calling out Swift for acting the victim and citing Kanye as evidence is hilariously ironic.

Ross61

Kanye was a cunt for interrupting her win and making it all about himself. Criticising Swift for "milking" that is fucking ridiculous.

Also, calling out Swift for acting the victim and citing Kanye as evidence is hilariously ironic.

He didn't make it about himself tho. He made about Beyonce. An artist far more deserving.

Katy Perry is awful garbage that uses the homosexual community as an accessory to make herself more attractive to straight men.

I'm pretty sure Dark Horse isn't even a song, it's just noise.

Let's not let the fact that this new Tay single blows distract us so much that we start praising a woman who unironically once released a single named "Ur So Gay."

He didn't make it about himself tho. He made about Beyonce. An artist far more deserving.
Bullshit. Beyonce was embarassed as fuck.

If you think that moment wasn't about Kanye positioning himself as some sort of heroic arbiter of good taste then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Ross61

Bullshit. Beyonce was embarassed as fuck.

If you think that moment wasn't about Kanye positioning himself as some sort of heroic arbiter of good taste then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Beyonce definitely wasn't embarrassed.She knew damn well she deserved it. Now where is that bridge.

Fliesen

What's happening at the 1:00 mark? ... i mean, that's like the inverse bass drop.

It builds up aaaaaaand ... itsfuckingnothing.gif

kulapik

I was digging this until the chorus, then it became unredeemable garbage. The "old Taylor is dead" like makes it a million times worse. Hard pass.

N7.Angel

• Katy Perry.
  • Kanye.

It's her business model.

That's totally what she is, I like her 1989 album, I respect the artist but not really the human behind it.

Well it was certainly different. I was thinking it was okay until the chorus but that was really quite repetitive and for very grating very quickly. The beat is interesting, but that song was really not my style which is unfortunate as I love her music. I'm still optimistic the album will be decent, but that song was not as encouraging as I was expecting. Maybe after a few listens it'll be better.

Crispy

I thought it was ok up to the chorus, when things fell apart fast.

I also don't like the rest of the production. The thing I appreciated most from her earlier work is that it actually sounds like real instruments were used. Now it almost sounds like a midi track.

AHA-Lambda

I can only speak personally but the whole Taylor snake thing and public feuding whatever etc is something I know next to nothing about, and frankly don't care about either I just want to listen to music. And I would guess most people are in a similar boat? Does the average person know or even really give a damn?

So with that said, me knowing nothing about this stuff, the song is transparently on that front, even if I have little context. It's distracting to me personally.
(The way how each mega pop star these days moans at each other by song is childish and annoying. It's your material but imo keep it to damn twitter.)

All that said, even when the message of the song is ignored, it's fairly mediocre.
I hope the rest of the album isn't like this, it's not the 1989 follow up I wanted :/

Nipo

Some people say the best songs are the ones you don't really like the first time you listen to them but you start to like after you hear them a fw times. The argument is that part of the reason you don't like it is because song lacks the familiar hooks and progression that is popular so your ears/brain don't know what to make of it.

This song is no Rite of Spring but i'll give it another chance and see if it grows on me.

Katy, Taylor and Kanye are at the same level with their fake shit, tbh.

Still holding up for the rest of the album's tracks. Though this evolution is kind of underwhelming considering 1989, Red and Speak Now.

MrS

Banned
The song is terrible but Taylor is still good people. Kanye is just a fuccboi, always has been and always will be. I like Ye's music but he's an asshole. At least Taylor owns how uncool she is.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Man I really dislike this song. A lot. Which makes me so so so sad.

smh @ All these people who don't remember Shake It Off being both 1) the first single in the 1989 era and 2) the worst song on the album

whew

Katy, Taylor and Kanye are at the same level with their fake shit, tbh.

Still holding up for the rest of the album's tracks. Though this evolution is kind of underwhelming considering 1989, Red and Speak Now.

Right? Personally its like be as fake as you want but as long as you make entertaining art and aren't evil then I'll engage with your content. High school drama is fun to laugh at occasionally but I don't think its ever really relevant to what I'm really looking for

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Shake it off was not a great song.

This song makes Shake it off sound like Thriller.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Oh wow, the song actually samples Peaches' "Operate". No wonder it sounded like a Peaches song.

Top Bottom