• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

burgerdog

What? My GTX 970 can run TEW1 in 1440p/60 FPS with a couple of graphical details dialed down. Apparently, TEW2 is nowhere near as forgiving unless I'm missing something? How is that "MUCH better" performance?

What cpu do you have because my 3750k @ 4.5 paired up with a 970 can't even hold 60fps at 1080p.

GavinUK86

I know 30FPS is a bad word to say around these parts but just as an FYI, the in-game half refresh rate/30FPS vsync option paired with RTSS set to 30 gives you a perfect stutter free frame paced experience. If you don't mind playing at that framerate, it's certainly a valid option right now. With a GTX 970, it doesn't budge from 30FPS with everything on Ultra. On top of that, if you liked the letterboxed/30FPS feel of the first game, you can use a 21:9 resolution, on a 16:9 screen, and the framerate cap. I'm playing it like that right now and personally, it's far better than the stuttery mess of an uncapped framerate. But of course, YMMV.

kodecraft

I know 30FPS is a bad word to say around these parts but just as an FYI, the in-game half refresh rate/30FPS vsync option paired with RTSS set to 30 gives you a perfect stutter free frame paced experience. If you don't mind playing at that framerate, it's certainly a valid option right now. With a GTX 970, it doesn't budge from 30FPS with everything on Ultra. On top of that, if you liked the letterboxed/30FPS feel of the first game, you can use a 21:9 resolution, on a 16:9 screen, and the framerate cap. I'm playing it like that right now and personally, it's far better than the stuttery mess of an uncapped framerate. But of course, YMMV.

Thanks, I need my cinematic experience and I'm not joking here. I will play it like this.

Truant

Have people tried experimenting with the different settings? I'm sure there one or two items that take up like 10fps but without looking any different. The DoF and HBAO settings in Destiny 2 come to mind. Night and day difference in performance, practically no visual difference.

nkarafo

Yeah, i wasn't expecting much from Tango tbh after playing the first game. It was the only one, along with GTA 4 a few years back, that i had to lock at 30fps/1080p, even on a 1060 card.

Hmmm. Might consider doing 30 fps if I can do 4k on my 980ti.

Hopefully this has the same kind of internal resolution scaling that RE7 had (selecting the 4K resolution option, but then having it render at 0.85 of that). I could run RE7 flawlessly doing that, and it looked great. It was a stuttery mess at native 4K though. That of course is if it doesn't allow you to run it at 1440p/HDR on a 4K TV just like RE7.

I am also bummed about the lack of resolution scaling. i typically get 40-60fps in most games at 4k but like to try and lock it at 60fps (Plus I stream so I need extra overhead) So it is nice to bump it down to 80% res scale to make up for the gap.

Cramoss

Do you need that 30 FPS vsync option ingame AND RTSS both? Why can't it be just one of them?

rtcn63

What cpu do you have because my 3750k @ 4.5 paired up with a 970 can't even hold 60fps at 1080p.

Are you talking about TEW1?

1) Try having FRAPS on at the same time as the game, this eliminates the framepacing/stuttering issues for some people at 60fps

2) Go to global settings -> power management mode in the Nvidia control panel and set it to "Adaptive", then go to program settings, select TEW, and change its power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance". Try this with TEW2 too and see if the performance for either improves.

Personally, I can live with a properly locked 30fps, but MUCH MUCH prefer the immersion of 60, even if it means dropping settings to say medium. (How is medium on a 970/1060?)

burgerdog

^^^
Yes, TEW1. I'll give that a shot. I tried the game again a few nights ago and the stuttering was awful.

I bought the game fully expecting it to run at 30fps with ultra settings on my 970. I can dig it.

J3nga

i7-6700K, R9 390x, 16GB RAM, W10, 2560x1080 and I'm actually very satisfied with the performance for the most time having 50-60FPS maxed out(TAA) with occasional dips to mid 40's which I'm fine with.

-MD-

I get like 40-50fps with a 970/3570k on medium settings @ 1080p

First game ran at a locked 60 @1080 on high for me the whole way through on the same hardware but that was after a patch.

Sanctuary

Looks like no HDR on PC it seems.

What the fuck? So the game that was supposed to ship with HDR doesn't have it at launch on any platform?

This runs MUCH better than TEW1 did. Even if it isn't hitting 60 fps it still feels very, very smooth to play without any hiccups or frame pacing issues. This is without a GSYNC monitor, too.

I think Dishonored 2 ran much, much worse than this at launch.

This is playable for sure and even pleasant, though it could be better optimized to hit 60fps.

I know that the technical issues were a huge point of contention for a lot of people, but I ran it out of the box at a stable 60fps, and without any stuttering. So it was a combination of the engine with particular hardware configurations. I don't remember if there was a day one patch that addressed some issues, but this was at launch for me.

GavinUK86

Do you need that 30 FPS vsync option ingame AND RTSS both? Why can't it be just one of them?

Yeah because just capping at 30fps is still going to give you tearing. RTSS isn't a vsync alternative, it's just there to stable out the framepacing.

If you have a 1920x1080 screen, you can create a custom resolution of 1920x810 for a 21:9 display. Or 2560x1080 if you have the spare GPU power to go up.

Fuck 30fps. For real.

I don't mind the letterbox, but I'd rather it off

Does it run better if you enable letterbox? I know it did in TEW1.

You're not really enabling letterbox like a toggle switch which was assumed. Don't know if it increases performance but 30fps does.

Just to clarify about my comment about letterboxing it, there's no letterbox option in game. At all.

Yeah I played the first one at 30 FPS because nothing I did could get the frame pacing smooth at 60. On the bright side 30 FPS = easy 4k. I might do the same for this one.

kodecraft

Just to clarify about my comment about letterboxing it, there's no letterbox option in game. At all.

Thanks for clarifying, and I saw that there wasn't a straight forward way on enabling letterbox. But there is an
'achievement for a cinematic experience' in this game...I figured you would unlock it doing a letterboxed play through.

rtcn63

Those aren't outlandish specs. Needing a 1070 for 60 fps @1080p is pretty typical now.

At high settings and for a game that looks like TEW2? Okay, I'm no graphics expert, so I'll wait on the rundown of whether its actually well-optimized or not. But even Destiny 2 does 1080p/60fps/high no prob on a 1060.

Shredderi

Same, I shoulda just bought a 1070 when it came out but I wanted to hold off for the next line of cards.

Same here. Just doesn't seem like a good time to upgrade because a 1070 is a lot of money for what I feel will be left in the dust relatively soon at this point.

typical in which case? I'm running most games at 1440p and 60fps or higher

Varies on the game- some games 1440p is off the table if I want 60 fps consistently without dropping any quality settings.

Yeah same, I haven't had to run a game at lower than 1440p yet. Worst is probably Battlegrounds where I do 1440p/medium settings and get 60-80 fps.

But you are dropping settings. The Nvidia guide says you get 70+ fps on High with a 1070. Seems pretty reasonable.

According to benchmarks, even Shadow War should be able to do 1080p/50fps+/ultra on a 580/1060.

There is a big difference between 50 fps and 70+. You may be able to get 50+ on TEW2 with a 1060 considering people have been getting decent results on a 970. Nvidia doesn't mention the 1060 in their article so we won't know until more people play or benchmarks start to pop.

rtcn63

According to benchmarks, even Shadow War should be able to do 1080p/50+fps/ultra on a 580/1060.

It does seem odd that we're getting Mankind Divided/Watch Dogs 2-levels of performance crushing. I am definitely hoping things improve with patches/drive updates. After TEW1, they just can't get away with this shit again.

ValfarHL

Runs great in ultrawide

1080ti
16gb ram
Ssd
3440x1440 gsync

Game defaulted to med settings

So I’m going to just run this game on default settings for once

FoV 65
Film grain on
CA on (gasp)
Motion blur on (gasp)

I get 50(!) fps

Seems low but gsync does a great job so far

image.php

kodecraft

That's odd. Should be an option from the beginning IMO.

I wasn't a fan of it myself, but it did make the game feel more claustrophobic.

I agree, I wanted my first play through to be in classic TEW style with the letterbox as I enjoyed that format for this game.

So looks like we all have to play it in standard format before those of us that enjoy it can use it.

Also, the description for letterbox in this game claims to be purely aesthetic so I assume no performance increases.

rtcn63

There is a big difference between 50 fps and 70+. You may be able to get 50+ on TEW2 with a 1060 considering people have been getting decent results on a 970. Nvidia doesn't mention the 1060 in their article so we won't know until more people play or benchmarks start to pop.

At least one person is getting 40-50 fps at 1080p/medium on a 970.

It worries me that Nvidia doesn't have the 1060 as the 1080p/High card. Ultra settings I get, but High? If it takes a 1070 to do 70ish, that's kinda scary.

At least one person is getting 40-50 fps at 1080p/medium on a 970.

It worries me that Nvidia doesn't have the 1060 as the 1080p/High card. Ultra settings I get, but High?

Isn't the 1060 pretty close to a 970 in power? That card is 3 years old at this point. That's kind of ancient in GPU terms and I think it's a bit much to still expect 1080p/60 fps in current games without putting down the settings a bit.

rtcn63

Isn't the 1060 pretty close to a 970 in power? That card is 3 years old at this point. That's kind of ancient in GPU terms and I think it's a bit much to still expect 1080p/60 fps in current games without putting down the settings a bit.

It's closer to a 980, but once again, high settings. Other people having issues with medium settings on a 970, so... worrying. And honestly, the game just does not look like a AAA graphical powerhouse from what I've seen. Can someone playing max settings comment? I could be completely wrong, and the game does somehow justify its performance cost.

EDIT: Watch Dogs 2, one of the most demanding games this gen, just barely hits 60fps on a 970/1060 on high to very high. Medium should be no issue.

Top Bottom