• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Do you guys ever get hate from your friends for your choice of character?
Everyone hates it when I pick Meta Knight in Smash 4, even he's no where near as strong as his Brawl or even early 4 self.

I would also completely change the point distribution to reward consistency more instead of overly emphasizing winning.

You can't overemphasize the only thing that matters. When you go to a tournament and don't take first, that's an L.

Assuming the tournaments are comparable in size and skill level of attending players, I value the guy that won 1 and drowned in pools in the other 3 than the guy placing 3rd four times in a row, though, I doubt anyone's both volatile and good enough to win one tournament and then completely drown in others.

The point spread is fucked, but not because consistency isn't rewarded. Fuck your consistency. Win something. The actual placing in any particular tournament isn't being valued. The fact that you got second or third isn't being emphasized enough. Along with not being halfed at every step, the points awarded should also scale to the size of your event. It'd be nice if they could scale to the overall skill level as well, but that's asking too much. East Asian tournaments, small and capped as they often are, are usually filled with killers but don't reward enough points to reflect that. Getting Top 8 at a 5k deep tournament is ridiculously impressive, but the points awarded don't reflect that either.

Blueblur1

From Ultra David thread, something Vicious actually brought up as a negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTtp3unEPys

And then people proceed to cry when an event takes place in Brazil with no names filling up top 8. Get the fuck out with this scrubby safe space shit, Vicious, how is people traveling to events a bad thing?!

Reality is, they're just salty that their local hero wasn't actually good enough to make it because someone from the outside was better. It's pure scrub mentality where the solution isn't getting better, but bending the roles to make it easier for lesser players to qualify.

Better players traveling to local events made them way more watchable. Some of the best moments in the season, stuff like RB's run at NA finals wouldn't have happened if events were gated. Really hope Capcom would just ignore those scrubs, else CC finals will be filled with Julios.

I believe the regional leaderboard was created to give players who couldn't travel a chance to compete and get into Capcom Cup. If you ditch that then the sponsored players (or players with deep pockets) are the ones who will likely travel and succeed. To me that's not fun to watch and not fair to the locals. I don't want to watch JWong win a LA tournament for the third time; I rather watch locals instead.

If anything there should be a set amount of Premiers in each region and those should be open to all players. Keep the ranking events closed.

Village

Everyone hates it when I pick Meta Knight in Smash 4, even he's no where near as strong as his Brawl or even early 4 self.

Every character I think is cool is good in marvel 3.

My friend I used to play with locally and now online hates it when I pick necalli , but like friend hate. Its also because I say silly shit when I play fighting games with people, and and sometimes they laugh and loose.

Malice215

The regional rankings were created for more local representation, but gave more incentive to the top 1% to farm points from lesser regions by having separate leaderboards to qualify through. It also made it more difficult for most to figure out who's qualified.

Capcom Cup only needs one global leaderboard, and to just take the winner of a regional tournament and move them to a regional final. You don't need a separate leaderboard on top of it or to put any restrictions to keep internationals away from competing.

Getting rid of auto-qualifiers also benefits the 1% who can travel throughout the year and accumulate points, and screws over the people who don't have deep pockets. Auto-qualifers aren't the issue. The issue is the points distribution, which means that you aren't rewarded for placing 2nd or 3rd, so you have to travel more to keep pace. Hopefully that's adjusted for next year.

I got hate HERE when I played Viewtiful Joe in Marvel and Villager in Smash 4.

I only ever got XBL hate mail in umvc3 for wins with Phoenix (in Ultimate after she got seriously nerfed). And once for zoning in week 1 of vanilla. No one minds losing to Zero or Vergil I guess.

Sayad

I believe the regional leaderboard was created to give players who couldn't travel a chance to compete and get into Capcom Cup. If you ditch that then the sponsored players (or players with deep pockets) are the ones who will likely travel and succeed. To me that's not fun to watch and not fair to the locals. I don't want to watch JWong win a LA tournament for the third time; I rather watch locals instead.

If anything there should be a set amount of Premiers in each region and those should be open to all players. Keep the ranking events closed.
The regional spots issue can be easily fixed by assosiating regional spots with where players live, Jwong can farm LA points if he want to, but he doesn't get into the race for LA regional spots because he's not from LA!

Two free spots for every region is enough for the sake of representation, blocking players from traveling to events will hurt scenes more than it would help them.

CurlyW

What if they kept the regional leaderboards, but points only counted for the regional leaderboards if (a) the event was in that region, and (b) the player was from a country in that region? Asian players could still farm NA/EU tournaments and NA players could still farm LA tournaments, but any points they earn there only count towards the global leaderboard. This way you are guaranteed to get reps from all regions into Capcom Cup without discouraging top players from traveling. Just a thought.

Edit: Sayah beat me to the idea.

Village

Yuck. I want White/purple, white/pink.

You want a Sacramento kings chair?

That's solid, in the early 00's they were real good, you picked them in live it was basically cheating, they whole squad had 3. Bibby and stoyakovic run trains on folks

Also Black pink is fine, black pink and gray is why king boo has the best colors in mario kart

Keeping ranking events closed isn't a good idea. You should want the smaller regions playing against better players so that they can level up. You also want more eyes for your tournament so you can grow the scene. I'm sorry, but if the players and level isn't at a level where spectators find it enjoyable, it will benefit no one.

And even though players do farm points, that doesn't mean they didn't get the chance to compete at Capcom Cup. Latin America got the same amount of events as NA, EU, and Asia. It is by far the weakest region and yet had the same amount of events as Asia. That's far more than a chance to get into Capcom Cup.

You want players to farm less? Start giving regions the amount of events that befit the skill level present there. By giving Asia the same amount of events, you're essentially telling the players to go farm because qualifying is incredibly difficult there.

You're never going to stop farming if players are able to get points wherever. However, if you gave Asia more events than other regions, then you might persuade the very best of Asia to stay in Asia. So instead of the Daigos and Xian's of Asia farming, you might get a slightly lower tier of Asian players forced to leave the region in order to get points. That gives the weaker region players more of a chance to gain points.

Maybe the solution is to give Latin America less events, but guarantee that they have a special Latin America regional final where only Latin America can qualify for. That way it guarantees a player from Latin America goes to Capcom Cup. Also apart from that regional final, give them a single premier so that a Keoma like qualification happens.

I disagree with everything Vicious said though. From thinking that other regions deserve more of a chance, to wanting more events on an already bloated CPT.

mbpm1

Daigo is gonna have a for-fun tournament on Jan 14th where some JP players will be invited to play and then after they have to sing Karaoke.

The audience at the venue gets to vote for who moves on in the tournament

Daigo is gonna have a for-fun tournament on Jan 14th where some JP players will be invited to play and then after they have to sing Karaoke.

The audience at the venue gets to vote for who moves on in the tournament

not inviting james chen? Dodging the true karaoke king

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom