• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryechu

This is as stupid as I expected, but I might buy that audio mixer if its cheap and decent. I needed a solution to listening to discord audio and game audio through the same headphone.

-shadow-

And to think that the freaking DS in 2005 had a game with full voice chat without a single hitch and no problem whatsoever. What a mess that it's not just built into the OS.

Xater

Just use discord on the phone and ignore this crap.

GG

How is that an adequate solution? I still need to use a phone and I sure as hell don't like the TV sound being blared into my voice chat. Even any possible alternative to this is shit, because Nintendo didn't think this through.

Shiggy

What are you waiting for? Their solution has been stated. You have a smartphone on your table/lap in front of you. That's the solution.

Let him hold out for hope. Some people were also thinking Nintendo would announce an achievement system until the day of the Switch release.

So this is Hori solution. I'll wait until i see what Nintendo does, still a stupid problem to have in the first place.

Given that this solution here is necessary, there's little else Nintendo will have for offer. All they could do is probably release their own adapter.

test_account

XP-39C²
Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo
Could this be Nintendo's plan? Kids gets screamed at when playing Splatoon, Nintendo will just reply:

Nintendo: "We don't have voice chat on our system"
Reporter: "But kids were called names when playing Splatoon 2 online, a game developed and published by you, Nintendo"
Nintendo: "We don't have voice chat on your system"
Reporter: "How do you explain that the voice chat happened through the game?"

EDIT: Cant see this being the reason. Nintendo has their own app, so its not really much different than offering the service directly on their system when it comes to be responsible in that sense.

mindsale

If Nintendo would sell condoms:

Free_Condom.jpg

Nintendo fans:
"I pull out anyway!"

Hahahhaa, this is amazing. (Wipes away tear)

Nintendo Apologists:
"It only counts anyway if you contract syphilis."

i wasn't cherry-picking anything. your conclusion didn't make sense. you pointed out actual issues with it, but it doesn't lead to anything logical.

like i doubt things went down like this:
'well this will be different'
'but it drains batteries, use up data, and it's really convoluted'
'i said this will be different!'

You cut off the post to quote one sentence that makes it look like I'm taking a cheap shot at Nintendo. If that's not cherrypicking then I must have the definition wrong. I dislike this "solution" because it is needlessly convoluted compared to what the competition offers.

And my conclusion is logical, the only thing illogical is Nintendo's approach to online gaming. They always try to do something different whether it's with hardware or software; sometimes it works but most of the time comes off as try-hard incompetence IMO.

And I don't even care about voice chat that much.

Kolx

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo

Nintendo defense force is going to defend even this smh. This is not going to prevent people from doing it and there is parental control to protect kids from this.

oti

Banned
People say this, but with the rise of Discord, built in mics on controllers, and more teamwork oriented games in general, it doesn't seem so. I mean, every time I'm in Overwatch dudes always ask if I have a mic.

And usually half the team does.

I've been playing Overwatch for 9 months or something on PS4 and I have never heard a single mic. Not even once.

The last time I used voice chat was for Splatoon on Wii U via Discord with friends lol.

Jumeira

Banned
I really don't get the hate.
Just use skype/discord/whatsapp

Yeah, my friends on Skype is the same on my console friends list. Hang on, your new let me enter your friend code, I've got no way to message you, but fingers crossed you got it, now sign into your Skype account, add my Skype user name too, wonderful, now let me connect this whatcha-macall-it to this thingy-majig, all set, one last thing, let's load up the app store, download the app, sign in, ahh, I see you, let's game....but I need to charge my phone, hang on let me find a socket close enough so I can play now. Simples.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Looking at this makes me glad I care very little for voice chat. Looks very cumbersome and a total pain in the arse. It's the year 2017, we have nanobots FFS - Well done Ninty!

mindsale

I've been playing Overwatch for 9 months or something on PS4 and I have never heard a single mic. Not even once.

The last time I used voice chat was for Splatoon on Wii U via Discord with friends lol.

You have Auto Join Team Chat turned off under audio options.

I had made the same comment to a friend this weekend and he altered that option and there is chat in at least 50% of my games now.

Voice chat is a million miles away from anything I give a shit about, but it's pretty insane that they can't get this right.

Come on, Nintendo. Let parents do their jobs and stop doing it for them (if that's even their reasoning behind this dumb bullshit).

In the end it's just a very bad and stupid decision, but not a huge deal to me in any way. Would be nice to see them just do the elegant and reasonable thing for people who want to use it.

i'm surprised ..i don't think it would be like this.

i mean i expected a stupid solution but ...

Well at least i get a laugh at this "solution"

wrowa

Could this be Nintendo's plan? Kids gets screamed at when playing Splatoon, Nintendo will just reply:

Nintendo: "We don't have voice chat on our system"
Reporter: "But kids were called names when playing Splatoon 2 online, a game developed and published by you, Nintendo"
Reporter: "How do you explain that the voice chat happened through the game?"

Nintendo isn't referring people to some 3rd party app like Discord if they want to use voice chat. Instead, Nintendo's launching its very own chat app on iOS/Android. So, if people get harassed when using Nintendo's app it'd still be on Nintendo.

Or in other words: The idea that Switch has no built in voice chat due to concerns kids could get harassed is quite simple non-sense. After all, Nintendo is still very much offering and publishing its very own chat solution. Whether or not it's on smartphones or on their console is of no importance when it's still Nintendo publishing it.

oti

Banned
You have Auto Join Team Chat turned off under audio options.

I had made the same comment to a friend this weekend and he altered that option and there is chat in at least 50% of my games now.

Oh wow, really? Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Montresor

This is why I'm pretty much never getting back into a Nintendo console no matter how good their games are.

There will always be enough good games on Sony or Microsoft's console for me to be happy.

Let him hold out for hope. Some people were also thinking Nintendo would announce an achievement system until the day of the Switch release.

Given that this solution here is necessary, there's little else Nintendo will have for offer. All they could do is probably release their own adapter.

You'll be waiting a long time.
I just refuse to believe this is the only way to do this.

Maxrunner

This is why I'm pretty much never getting back into a Nintendo console no matter how good their games are.

There will always be enough good games on Sony or Microsoft's console for me to be happy.

Really? because of a chat implementation??your loss i guess...

If they aren't going to give us a simple, convenient voice chat solution within the console, what's the point of even using their way? I'll just keep using Discord, that is on my phone as well.

Why is it not possible to do chat from the Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom