• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA | Spoiler Discussion

My headcanon comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. :)

Gah, top of the page. This was continuation on the discussion if Catherine "died" in the end or not.

Aces&Eights

They could destroy WAU, monster problem solved, but yeah i should believe that in the future no weapons were available to destroy these monsters, no weapon at all, and i should belive too that only them are the only humans on the earth because of an meteor accident ? No maybe other submarines bases around the world with people involved in other project. Only them ? Really ? And for the last, digitalized consciousness ? Really, really ? Maybe this is what is commonly used to define sci-fi, but for me this is a very good fairytale!

Its more complex than "digitalized consciousness" let's say you found out you were dying. The drs are able to take your mind and save it. Your body will be gone and you will see through a computer screen but you will still be you. Your likes, dislikes, happy, sad, all you. You will be able to see your kid graduate, your wife grow older, still be a part of the family. You will just reside in a computer.

This is the philisophical question the game kept bringing up. Would you still be you?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My headcanon comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. :)

Gah, top of the page. This was continuation on the discussion if Catherine "died" in the end or not.

Yai-yai, it's all good. I figured as such, since sometimes it's better to pretend things work out happily and we can believe otherwise. Though of course I'm sure the intended effect is a black and white ending, with the Simon that goes onto the ARK and the Simon that gets left behind. But it's fun and sometimes comforting to think otherwise, why headcanon exists for these things, or desirable outcomes/explanations.

Though the Catherine with Simon is totally dead and I think Simon likely commits suicide would be my guess, or maybe eventually the Leviathan breaks in and eats him.

Granjinha

It is creepy because you witnessed the story of mankind and that its dying hours were on the bottom of the ocean.

What if they do not write up this history and have mankind start anew? They'll have children, people will continue their lives as nothing has happened because they simply do not know any better.

Aging still happens. You will still die. Natural progression will always exist.

You'd simply would not know any better. Kind of like The Matrix.

I kind of picture it that way.

Yep. I'm pretty sure Catherine (or some log) talks about how diseases, aging and these kinds of things still exist within the ARK so people inside it don't lose their "humanity" as in: Losing the fragility and possibility of dying would make humans lose a part of their being, making it all seem artificial or transforming society/humans on something else entirely.

Dusk Golem

Oh, can I throw out there, we've discussed who the old talking dude at the end third is, but what the hell is the worm creature at the end, the Leviathan (the name for the creature in the files)? It appears whether you kill the WAU or not, and it doesn't look like it was infected anyway, it literally from my perspective looks like it comes out of nowhere, eats the guy, and then serves as our final boss creature. Is it just supposed to be some unknown deep sea creature, or something else entirely?

I think it might be a reference to the giant worm in the Penumbra games, but I have no idea where it fits in with the story of SOMA, it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

vladdamad

To anyone interested in similar themes and philosophical sci-fi I would recommend Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (the novel not the film, the film has only a fraction of the impact of the book). It is extremely slow paced and the sci-fi elements are very, very subtle,(at first) but it also asks some interesting questions about what it means to be human.

The Abyss is one of my favourite video game levels of all time, by the way, along with the hotel from Vampire: The Masquerade. Absolutely spectacular signposting, the way the visual cues nudge you into a particular direction but you still feel lost, the cave that you slowly realise is crawling with spiders... There was almost Valve-level of single player design mastery. It's one thing to draw a corridor and have the player walk through it, it's another thing entirely to make the person feel lost and afraid while doing so. One of the highlights of 2015 for sure.

Granjinha

Oh, can I throw out there, we've discussed who the old talking dude at the end third is, but what the hell is the worm creature at the end, the Leviathan (the name for the creature in the files)? It appears whether you kill the WAU or not, and it doesn't look like it was infected anyway, it literally from my perspective looks like it comes out of nowhere, eats the guy, and then serves as our final boss creature. Is it just supposed to be some unknown deep sea creature, or something else entirely?

I think it might be a reference to the giant worm in the Penumbra games, but I have no idea where it gits in with the story of SOMA, it seemed like it came out of nowhere.

But these deep sea creatures would survive even if the WAU was dead, no? I mean, if they were infected. I think the infection made them go crazy or something, it's not like the WAU controls their actions or made them survive in the first place

Oh, can I throw out there, we've discussed who the old talking dude at the end third is, but what the hell is the worm creature at the end, the Leviathan (the name for the creature in the files), ? It appears whether you kill the WAU or not, it doesn't look like it was infected anyway, it literally from my perspective looks like it comes out of nowhere, eats the guy, and then serves as our final boss creature. Is it just supposed to be a deep sea creature?

I think it might be a reference to the giant worm in the Penumbra games, but I have no idea where it gits in with the story of SOMA, it seemed like it came out of nowhere.
I just figured it was a mutated sea creature. The logs in Omicron and in the deep sea outpost by the crawler talk about species being altered and grown to massive size through the structure gel.

Shredderi

I don't mean to ruin headcanon, but going but what we know of the Omnitool, it's almost 100% sure she is dead, and since that was the only known chip of her and a unique AI persona, I do think that leaves Simon all alone... Unless he left other people alive through the game ironically, I don't think they would of died in the day or so he was gone, so ironically the people he left alive during the game may be his only company if he can reach them.

Though obviously the big point of the ending is consequences in such a system and heroics. Simon, as we play him, is actually the third Simon of four we play as (since we play his human memories at the start, then play the first diver suit, then the second diver suit, then the Simon in the ARK), but from his perspective he's gone through the whole journey, to save humanity, and clings to a dream that he'll live in a perfect world at the end of this nightmare, and loses his lid when he realizes that, for him as he is now, there's no escape. But as he takes it all out on Catherine, she stresses out too much and dies due to being linked to too simple a virtual system (as we see earlier how that's calculated in virtual space through the puzzle involving the man who stresses out too quickly), and Simon comes to realize the last thing he ever said to her made them end off badly, and now he is all alone at the bottom of the sea. It's a dark ending, but I think that's the point, he worked hard for this and he made ARK, the last 'living' trace of humanity, to go on to survive thousands of years, but he himself, from that perspective, as that self, as well as the Simon before him, is unrewarded. He did a good thing, and the sacrifices he took was for this good thing, in the end he himself gets no personal gain out of this. I think personally judging off of Simon's personality and how he thinks of things he likely commits suicide, he has quite a personality that overthinks and dwells on things, and I don't think he could cope being alone at the bottom of the ocean with no hope.

Meanwhile, the other Simon is the definition of ignorance is bliss, to him the procedure worked without a flaw, and now he gets to be rewarded and live a dream life along with Catherine, who he's bonded with. They succeeded, they were rewarded, and they get to live out the rest of their lifespan happily (probably).

I admit I've thought about this sort of thing before, if such things as alternate realities exist, then there's thousands to millions of moments that we die at any moment from any method of possibilities, in some branched 'what if' possibility, we were killed brutally in some incident, but we ourselves as we are know nothing of this and could live blissfully in that fact where other 'versions' of ourselves have died.

What you say makes sense, therefore you leave me with no other options than to reject your reality and substitute it with my own ;) But yeah of course I agree with what you said as it makes the most sense in the game world. The dark ending is really pushed even further with Simon and Catherine losing contact on bad terms. Poor Simon. Hell of a "day". At least he played a key part in what was propably the most significant singular event in their human history. Not bad for a Toronto man who died 100 years ago.

Dusk Golem

Even if he did leave those people alive, he'd still be trapped there in the abyss forever, because the Omnitool is shorted out and he'd have no way to open airlocks or activate the crawler

Probably, as an infected shark also is hidden away in the scene with the Leviathan, but the Leviathan doesn't look like one of the infected creatures, I was messing with it in the Level Editor and it looks completely organic.

I just figured it was a mutated sea creature. The logs in Omicron and in the deep sea outpost by the crawler talk about species being altered and grown to massive size through the structure gel.

That's probably it, I for some reason don't recall that file, and also that would mean the Leviathan has the same basic backstory as the giant worm in the Penumbra games.

penumbra_collection_splash.jpg

I notice that Frictional made a few odd references to Penumbra in SOMA, including the odd mentions to Greenland when you find the last surviving human and some other minor things, so the giant worm may just be because Frictional likes giant worm monsters for some reason.

Shredderi

Probably, as an infected shark also is hidden away in the scene with the Leviathan, but the Leviathan doesn't look like one of the infected creatures, I was messing with it in the Level Editor and it looks completely organic.

That's probably it, I for some reason don't recall that file, and also that would mean the Leviathan has the same basic backstory as the giant worm in the Penumbra games.

penumbra_collection_splash.jpg

I notice that Frictional made a few odd references to Penumbra in SOMA, including the odd mentions to Greenland when you find the last surviving human and some other minor things, so the giant worm may just be because Frictional likes giant worm monsters for some reason.

I played the penumbra series for the first time a few months ago and was keeping an eye out for possible references to them and I wasthe rockworm creature.

Dusk Golem

What you say makes sense, therefore you leave me with no other options than to reject your reality and substitute it with my own ;) But yeah of course I agree with what you said as it makes the most sense in the game world. The dark ending is really pushed even further with Simon and Catherine losing contact on bad terms. Poor Simon. Hell of a "day". At least he played a key part in what was propably the most significant singular event in their human history. Not bad for a Toronto man who died 100 years ago.

Yeah, it brings up the whole thing that the people we're close too we want to leave no regrets with, having the last things you aid to someone be something like Simon's tangent is something that can leave scars in deep regret, especially to how Simon was saying right before this that she'll be her friend as she never had anyone who was really a true friend.

While he won't be forgotten by those on the ARK I feel certain, Simon demonstrates through the game he is a very flawed, overly thinking, selfish person. Many dislike him for this, but I enjoyed him and his flaws, and not just making him a mostly blank slate protagonist, and it works with the story as well. I think he's laid-back most of the journey since he's clinging to the hope that all this hard work will be worth it, and accepting that he's not the 'real' Simon, coming to terms. So he's able to put up with all of this due to that, and ultimately Catherine's companionship to keep him going and motivated. But for him, in that moment he loses everything he cared about and kept him together in this situation, so...

Shredderi

Yeah, it brings up the whole thing that the people we're close too we want to leave no regrets with, having the last things you aid to someone be something like Simon's tangent is something that can leave scars in deep regret, especially to how Simon was saying right before this that she'll be her friend as she never had anyone who was really a true friend.

While he won't be forgotten by those on the ARK I feel certain, Simon demonstrates through the game he is a very flawed, overly thinking, selfish person. Many dislike him for this, but I enjoyed him and his flaws, and not just making him a mostly blank slate protagonist, and it works with the story as well. I think he's laid-back most of the journey since he's clinging to the hope that all this hard work will be worth it, and accepting that he's not the 'real' Simon, coming to terms. So he's able to put up with all of this due to that, and ultimately Catherine's companionship to keep him going and motivated. But for him, in that moment he loses everything he cared about and kept him together in this situation, so...

I really liked Simon for the reasons you mentioned. It was really easy for me to relate to him and that made me really invested in his journey. Wouldn't have been able to do so if he didn't demonstrate some basic human flaws. I think it's a classic outburst where he propably really didn't mean what he said to Catherine. Catherine was just there in that moment and he had nothing else where to direct his anger to, but before the usual reconciliation and all the "I'm sorry, I know you're right" could happen they were cut off for good (most likely).

Dusk Golem

Ohh, I think I just unintentionally found out what the Leviathan is. I think it's supposed to be an oversized, mutated version of a Pyrosoma! It's a Greek name, which follows the naming of Greek in SOMA, not to mention the creature has freaking Soma in its name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrosome

It looks like some of the types of Pyrosome shown in image results, though a bit more solid, but has a similar body shape to them, and it glows blue like Pyrosoma's do when it eats the old dude. Plus they like heat and it came from something volcanic.

There I go answering my own question, I was just searching on Google, "SOMA worm", to get an image of it, and stumbled on that.

Dusk Golem

I really liked Simon for the reasons you mentioned. It was really easy for me to relate to him and that made me really invested in his journey. Wouldn't have been able to do so if he didn't demonstrate some basic human flaws. I think it's a classic outburst where he propably really didn't mean what he said to Catherine. Catherine was just there in that moment and he had nothing else where to direct his anger to, but before the usual reconciliation and all the "I'm sorry, I know you're right" could happen they were cut off for good (most likely).

That's how I view it, Simon was frustrated and took it all out on Catherine, he knows it's not her fault, but he just super frustrated, and lashing out at her, like how he does earlier when he first finds out about the 'copying' stuff, but to a more severe step as instead of morally conflicting, the situation is soul-crushing. But like back then, he acknowledged then she was right and apologizes, and likely was going to do the same, just this time he doesn't get a chance to. Another thing to point to this is when she dies, Simon's response; immediate regret when she gets cut out.

I would love to see a story with that setting, of a bunch of digital humans stuck in a timeless utopia. How long would it take for them to go insane? It's like that Twilight Zone episode where the guy realises he is in hell - even things that seem pleasant will become agonisingly boring after centuries of existence.
When you put it that way...Simon and Carherine fucked up big time.

In hindsight, everyone was approaching things from warped perspectives.

Ross was crazy, and hellbent on his "Kill the WAU, its methods aren't real life" goals

Catherine, being a mere snapshot of the real person, was completely focused on launching the ARK. That was her sole purpose and reason for being, no matter the costs

And you awaken up in the middle of it all, and only have those two perspective to go on. The WAU is evil, destroy it, launch the ARK

But the ARK sucks. How many people are it? 30, 50? They can't reproduce. They're limited by the Ark's computer and processors. They're at the whim of cosmic debris and other space hazards. Can they evolve? Do they age? They don't need to eat or anything. So 50 people trapped in a place for eternity, with no way to grow or expand or do anything of worth

That's not saving humanity. That's a slowly dying time capsule.

The WAU, despite its horrific methods to us, was saving and preserving humanity. People still existed, were alive. Maybe in a hundred years, we could have been able to alter the genetic codes of those humans to be able to survive on the surface or the ocean floor. They could continue the human race. The sentient machines would have likely been like Simon going forward. They could have worked on rebuilding civilization.

At least there's the possibility of growth

The Ark is stagnant and doomed to die

h0tp0ck3t

After reading the posts here I really feel bad about killing the WAU lol
Something I may be reading into too much but was there some kind of conspiracy going on between the company and the WAU? There were some logs in Omicron about how the dispatcher (Reily I think her name was) was asking too many questions about site alpha. In another log someone says something to the extent of "The company won't need to worry about her much longer" before their Blackbox explodes on audio

Granjinha

Ross was crazy, and hellbent on his "Kill the WAU, its methods aren't real life" goals

Catherine, being a mere snapshot of the real person, was completely focused on launching the ARK. That was her sole purpose and reason for being, no matter the costs

And you awaken up in the middle of it all, and only have those two perspective to go on. The WAU is evil, destroy it, launch the ARK

But the ARK sucks. How many people are it? 30, 50? They can't reproduce. They're limited by the Ark's computer and processors. They're at the whim of cosmic debris and other space hazards. Can they evolve? Do they age? They don't need to eat or anything. So 50 people trapped in a place for eternity, with no way to grow or expand or do anything of worth

The WAU, despite its horrific methods to us, was saving and preserving humanity. People still existed, were alive. Maybe in a hundred years, we could have been able to alter the genetic codes of those humans to be able to survive on the surface or the ocean floor. They could continue the human race. The sentient machines would have likely been like Simon going forward. They could have worked on rebuilding civilization.

Was is it saving and preserving humanity, though? There's no way to know. No way to know if the WAU was learning and giving better conditions to humans, too. As i see things, humanity was destined to die anyway after the comet hit, and the WAU had a warped sense of survival, you just have to look at Amanda saying 'No one can die', and really, there is no way to know if the virtual reality of the WAU was any better than the ARK. Ross defined it as an "eternal hell" on his brief messages in the first time you meet him.

And how to rebuild civilization on a planet that isn't fit for living anymore?

I mean, it's all just conjecture. Simon wasn't really confortable living as he was, too, so it's not like he was the perfect experiment. You just have to see his drive to launch (and enter) the Ark. He prefers to live in a false environment where he can live as a "human" than live like some suit on Pathos-II.

Also, you talk how they can't reproduce, but by the time we arrive at Pathos-II, there's no method of reproducing either. Simon is a suit. Catherine is inside an Omnitool. The last living human can barely speak.

And i'm pretty sure i remember some log or dialogue talking about how the ARK isn't just a static environment that never changes.

Simon was probably the most annoying part of the game (aside from poor hide and seek segments), thanks to his inability to understand the copy (fax would be a better analogy) mechanic. Even after potentially killing his own original fax he still acts like a child.

How would you react upon the realization that you were going to spend the rest of your life alone on the bottom of the ocean, surrounded by horrifying machine-human hybrid monsters? And remember this Simon "won" the last coinflip -- from his perspective he's had a continuous experience from Real Simon to Simon Bot 1 to Simon Bot 2 -- I can't really blame him for getting his hopes up.

For a while I thought that it was being hinted that life inside the Ark feels shallow and unreal somehow, which is why that guy from whom you were trying to get the password in Theta Labs kept freaking out. So what I thought would happen was you would test the Ark and see that it is a miserable, torturous experience for everyone involved, and you would have to choose whether or not to send the last of humanity into space to suffer for an eternity or to delete them all and let the species become extinct.

I was a little surprised that wasn't a final option, but then again there's just no way Simon would ever make the choice to destroy the Ark. Like all people in the end he was motivated by self-preservation.

Quick question: who uploaded Simon into his first new body? Was that the WAU, or was it that Ross fellow who wanted the WAU destroyed?

Aces&Eights

I understood that the ARK was there so if another species comes along and finds "them" and had the ability to transfer "data consciousness" into organic tissues that the people would be able to once again have bodies and live as humans. Kind of like a sperm bank except they already have mental maturity and individualism.

raphier

Banned
I understood that the ARK was there so if another species comes along and finds "them" and had the ability to transfer "data consciousness" into organic tissues that the people would be able to once again have bodies and live as humans. Kind of like a sperm bank except they already have mental maturity and individualism.

Like that was ever going to happen. at first, founders must understand binary code and secondly the purpose of the whole thing. We're talking about aliens presumably. There's a big chance the whole crap falls into a blackhole at some point or fade out of energy or a malfunction occurs within the first 1000 years. Physical manifestation atleast lets you do actual stuff.

Granjinha

Like that was ever going to happen. at first, founders must understand binary code and secondly the purpose of the whole thing. We're talking about aliens presumably. There's a big chance the whole crap falls into a blackhole at some point or fade out of energy or a malfunction occurs within the first 1000 years. Physical manifestation atleast lets you do actual stuff.

Physical manifestation in a doomed planet without the infrastructure to expand? I mean, half of Pathos-II instalations were non-operational and Upsilon II gets flooded right in the beginning of the game.

There's not much room for a right decision here.

PolishQ

Quick question: who uploaded Simon into his first new body? Was that the WAU, or was it that Ross fellow who wanted the WAU destroyed?

Pretty sure it was the WAU. I don't think Ross had that much wide-ranging influence, considering he only starts communicating with you once you reach Theta.

Is there any explanation for how Ross and some of the other entities are able to teleport around? I'm starting to wonder if the various teleporting monsters we see are in fact "digital" entities that Simon is only able to perceive through his own electronic senses (similar to his "datamining" ability).

Edit: I was also waiting for the game to reveal that we've actually been inside the ARK the whole time, and WAU has simulated a calamitous situation so that the inhabitants' minds would be kept active. I suppose that would be a little too Matrix, though.

Shredderi

I remember reading rumors that there was gonna be a live action movie called "Depth" that would have been a prequel to the game. Unfortunately I think it was confirmed to be fake. Shame.

And yeah the teleporting entities were a little puzzling as it would seem more supernatural in a game that explained everything else through science. I thought about them being some kind of electronic signals that Simon perceives as physical entities, but then that wouldn't explain why Ross was killed when another physical creature attacked it. I want more SOMA and answers dammit. The whole game universe is so fascinating.

Pretty sure it was the WAU. I don't think Ross had that much wide-ranging influence, considering he only starts communicating with you once you reach Theta.

Right, I guess I just don't get why the WAU would create Simon. Was it just a last-ditch effort to sustain life, making a sort of hybrid machine and inserting one of the last digital brains it could find? Seems like that one really backfired on ya, WAU, nice job!

Given the in-game reason for some of the enemies' effects (EMP blast, mess with your circuits, etc), I theorize the "teleporting" is nothing more than the creature's causing your visual systems to mess up. Seems like they're teleporting but it's essentially like a bad framerate.

Shredderi

Right, I guess I just don't get why the WAU would create Simon. Was it just a last-ditch effort to sustain life, making a sort of hybrid machine and inserting one of the last digital brains it could find? Seems like that one really backfired on ya, WAU, nice job!

Apparently here's a message that scrolls across the pilot seat in Upsilon. It could be the WAU's "thoughts" when it created Simon_02:

<![CDATA[ RESTORE LIFE SIMON JRT ME SENSE AS RESTORE SIMON SIM0N LIFE DAVID GRAPH LEGACY SIMON RESTORE CONCEPT SOUL OK DEAD RESTORE RESTORE REED SAVE ME SENSE DAVID RESTORE TRAUMA SIMON DEAD RESTORE CARRY OK TURN POWER]]>

Given the in-game reason for some of the enemies' effects (EMP blast, mess with your circuits, etc), I theorize the "teleporting" is nothing more than the creature's causing your visual systems to mess up. Seems like they're teleporting but it's essentially like a bad framerate.

Good point.

ced

Glad this thread is getting some traffic.

I still think about this game days after completing it, I missed a lot of stuff going by this thread. I didn't even realize the WAU was using the black boxes to kill people, I thought it was from suicides.

Through most of the game I was thinking that Cath was just the WAU manipulating Simon to eventually sabotage something.

Was there any significance to the opening where Simon's wife / GF asks him to take the scan drink, and implies that he is mistaken in that it's green? I guess it could be that it's just a weird dream.

Shredderi

I still think about this game days after completing it, I missed a lot of stuff going by this thread. I didn't even realize the WAU was using the black boxes to kill people, I thought it was from suicides.

Through most of the game I was thinking that Cath was just the WAU manipulating Simon to eventually sabotage something.

Was there any significance to the opening where Simon's wife / GF asks him to take the scan drink, and implies that he is mistaken in that it's green? I guess it could be that it's just a weird dream.

Propably just his memories of the night of the accident and the thoughts about the upcoming scan just meshing inside a dream.

She's referring to the traffic lights at the beginning when she says its green

TheTurboFD

Man SOMA is an amazing game especially for the price. I'm loving every second of it. Frictional Games never disappoints. I've been trying to savor the game by playing it slowly instead of rushing through. I do wish the load times weren't so long.

Stiler

So even after beating this a couple days ago I'm still thinking about it, been reading some fan theories and other info that I somehow missed.

I kind of feel bad that I helped Ross out with the Wau now.

I mean thinking more and more about it, was the Wau really bad?

It was keeping the people alive and they were in a dream like state, how is that any different then the "ark?" It's both "fake" in that sense.

Second off, it never harmed anyone and was in fact trying to protect/preserve any life it could. Only acting in self defense (IE Ross, and the people who were going to help destroy the wau).

The way I am seeing it now, all of those robots that "thought" they were people were more earlier forms of the Wau's creations, it's earlier "experiments" and trying to keep humans alive. The same with the wildlife. Some went crazy and out of it, etc.

However with you the Wau had finally found a way to create a human who didn't "lose" it and still felt normal in a sense. You were in fact a prime example of what it could do and most likely was planning to do with others.

So all in all, if you kept the Wau alive, eventually it could essentially keep humanity alive, not in the strict "organic" sense as we know it, but it was working on trying to preserve humanity the best that it could with what it had, learning from its mistakes.

So even after beating this a couple days ago I'm still thinking about it, been reading some fan theories and other info that I somehow missed.

I kind of feel bad that I helped Ross out with the Wau now.

I mean thinking more and more about it, was the Wau really bad?

It was keeping the people alive and they were in a dream like state, how is that any different then the "ark?" It's both "fake" in that sense.

Second off, it never harmed anyone and was in fact trying to protect/preserve any life it could. Only acting in self defense (IE Ross, and the people who were going to help destroy the wau).

The way I am seeing it now, all of those robots that "thought" they were people were more earlier forms of the Wau's creations, it's earlier "experiments" and trying to keep humans alive. The same with the wildlife. Some went crazy and out of it, etc.

However with you the Wau had finally found a way to create a human who didn't "lose" it and still felt normal in a sense. You were in fact a prime example of what it could do and most likely was planning to do with others.

So all in all, if you kept the Wau alive, eventually it could essentially keep humanity alive, not in the strict "organic" sense as we know it, but it was working on trying to preserve humanity the best that it could with what it had, learning from its mistakes.

The WAU definitely was not evil in the sense that it 'enslaves' the remaining humans, but the moral dilemma grows stronger against the WAU the more you progress through the game.

You see the remaining humans stuck in ceilings and on WAU's growth, breathing heavy and being set in a comatose state.

You, as Simon Jarret, witnesses these things with your own eyes and the question then remains; Do we really want to end up like this? Being controlled by some... creature?

The WAU definitely was not evil in the sense that it 'enslaves' the remaining humans, but the moral dilemma grows stronger against the WAU the more you progress through the game.

You see the remaining humans stuck in ceilings and on WAU's growth, breathing heavy and being set in a comatose state.

You, as Simon Jarret, witnesses these things with your own eyes and the question then remains; Do we really want to end up like this? Being controlled by some... creature?
Were they being controlled? Are they "enslaved"? They were being kept alive, and I'd assume their minds were in an Ark-like simulation. People like Amy unfortunately were the result of iterations before the WAU got to those methods.

As another poster mentioned, that moment in Theta went you get placed in that structure gel growth and see your apartment with your wife was likely one of the WAU's simulations

Its methods were better because it preserved both the physical and the mental, while the Ark merely preserved the mental

And with the physical preserved, there are many more options to save humanity. Cloning, artificial reproduction, genetic alteration so future humans could survive on the ocean floor or on the ruined surface, etc. Even if the WAU doesn't do that, the future iterations of Simon-like beings could work on it

CHC

As another poster mentioned, that moment in Theta went you get placed in that structure gel growth and see your apartment with your wife was likely one of the WAU's simulations

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Never really pieced together WHY that occured when it occured.

And with the physical preserved, there are many more options to save humanity. Cloning, artificial reproduction, genetic alteration so future humans could survive in the ocean floor or on the ruined surface, etc. Even if the WAU doesn't do that, the future iterations of Simon-like beings could work on it

What preservation? The further along Upsilon you came the worse the humans stuck in the WAU looked.

I highly doubt they would have eventually got the time and technology to produce clones, let alone being able to survive on the ocean floor without any means of being able to produce sturdy bases.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this story discussion is great, but I have a much simpler question:

how did you all get by the screaming monster in the Omicron power room? I ended up taking a hit, then getting the power box when awakening, then sprinting past the repositioned monster.

What preservation? The further along Upsilon you came the worse the humans stuck in the WAU looked.

I highly doubt they would have eventually got the time and technology to produce clones, let alone being able to survive on the ocean floor without any means of being able to produce sturdy bases.
But the biological material is still there. The Ark in comparison is just a digital population. The former definitely offers more options.

But the biological material is still there. The Ark in comparison is just a digital population. The former definitely offers more options.

I think that romanticizing the idea of still being able to live on earth while the entire planet is dying is nothing short of human survival, and such a thing is perfectly portrayed in the sequence where you watch the body of Cat lying on the ground and why that happened.

Cat sees far above and beyond her own means and actually sees the ARK as the only possibility for 'humanity' to survive, and not in some physical form because, above all, what makes us 'human?'

Does being in a physical form, a form that is highly susceptible of becoming infected by a disease, really makes us more human? As far as I could tell, Simon did not even know he was not in his human body the moment he 'awakened' at Upsilon.

Does not being able to die make us less human? If so, why are we constantly searching for means to live for eternity? The only reason why Simon kept asking if he will be on the ARK, is because he is afraid to die. If you remove that fear, will we really lose our humanity because of it?

All those questions can be answered one way or another but I honestly feel that Frictional Games did an amazing job on invoking such thought.

ced

this story discussion is great, but I have a much simpler question:

how did you all get by the screaming monster in the Omicron power room? I ended up taking a hit, then getting the power box when awakening, then sprinting past the repositioned monster.

I've posted this a couple times cause either it's a bug or people haven't figured it out.

You just crouch and take a few steps at a time, it will scream, then you stop and it calms down. Rinse and repeat, you can walk right by them.

Let's talk about the suicides. Was the idea that if you killed yourself after the scan you are magically transferred to that new copy, cause I don't think that's how it works.

Let's talk about the suicides. Was the idea that if you killed yourself after the scan you are magically transferred to that new copy, cause I don't think that's how it works.

The copies are basically you. The same thought, emotions and what not. They are just as alive as the previous or next copy.

Killing yourself after the scan does not make the copy complete. That is why you have the choice of killing Simon 2 after the diving suit when you create another copy (Simon 3) even though Simon2's consciousness is already somewhat on the ARK.

ced

The copies are basically you. The same thought, emotions and what not. They are just as alive as the previous or next copy.

Killing yourself after the scan does not make the copy complete. That is why you have the choice of killing Simon 2 after the diving suit when you create another copy (Simon 3) even though Simon2's consciousness is already somewhat on the ARK.

Right so the people killing themselves didn't end up in the ARK as the new copy of their consciousness? I understood it as completely pointless, but there is the whole flip of the coin thing I wasn't quite following, and the talk of continuity.

I've posted this a couple times cause either it's a bug or people haven't figured it out.

You just crouch and take a few steps at a time, it will scream, then you stop and it calms down. Rinse and repeat, you can walk right by them.

I believe the notion was that when you're copied , there are now two of you. Let's call them Ced-A and Ced-B. At the moment of copying, Ced-A and Ced-B are the same. But as time progresses, Ced-B will have different experiences and such than Ced-A. They would become different people over time

The whole continuity belief was that by killing yourself, the digital Ced-B would be the only you.

Right so the people killing themselves didn't end up in the ARK as the new copy of their consciousness? I understood it as completely pointless, but there is the whole flip of the coin thing I wasn't quite following, and the talk of continuity.

Pretty much. Killing yourself right then and there after the copy means it is done. There is no consciousness going anywhere for the original Simon, but the copied Simon will live on with the exact same set of emotions and memories.

I loved this game a whole lot for it's general pacing of exploration, fun manipulation of Aliens inspired machinery and overall mood (great soundtrack).

What I did NOT like, and I may be in the minority here, is the actual "horror" enemy encounter stuff. All that did for me was break up the game into sections of "oh here we go having to awkwardly avoid this instadeath thing as we slowly slog around this environment." It wasn't even that frightening. I would say out of the few times I died, 95% of them were related to me trying to hide in a dead end hallway, looking at the floor and having the monster stumble its way towards me with nothing I could do. I can understand how that could be scary to some people but to me it felt like annoying level design. Even after finishing the game I don't know what triggers the thing to follow the character, or lose agro if triggered (line of sight? Looking at it? Distance regardless of either of those?)

There's also that one part towards the end where you have to get the battery pack from the wall with a crying woman monster standing right in front of it, not moving. I died like 5 times trying to figure out how to get around her without being seen.

May sound like needless bitching but I hated how that mechanic almost got in the way of an otherwise really unique game. One a positive note, voice acting was superb and it did a great job of getting possible twists out of the way early to make room for even more interesting later game reveals. It was pretty much on point with myself as the player figuring things out and the in game characters acknowledging it. I love when that happens in a game!

I loved this game a whole lot for it's general pacing of exploration, fun manipulation of Aliens inspired machinery and overall mood (great soundtrack).

What I did NOT like, and I may be in the minority here, is the actual "horror" enemy encounter stuff. All that did for me was break up the game into sections of "oh here we go having to awkwardly avoid this instadeath thing as we slowly slog around this environment." It wasn't even that frightening. I would say out of the few times I died, 95% of them were related to me trying to hide in a dead end hallway, looking at the floor and having the monster stumble its way towards me with nothing I could do. I can understand how that could be scary to some people but to me it felt like annoying level design. Even after finishing the game I don't know what triggers the thing to follow the character, or lose agro if triggered (line of sight? Looking at it? Distance regardless of either of those?)

There's also that one part towards the end where you have to get the battery pack from the wall with a crying woman monster standing right in front of it, not moving. I died like 5 times trying to figure out how to get around her without being seen.

May sound like needless bitching but I hated how that mechanic almost got in the way of an otherwise really unique game. One a positive note, voice acting was superb and it did a great job of getting possible twists out of the way early to make room for even more interesting later game reveals. It was pretty much on point with myself as the player figuring things out and the in game characters acknowledging it. I love when that happens in a game!
To be fair, half the time you can just run. That's what I did with the monster in Omicron. Let me see, snuck around, ran to the battery, grabbed it, then ran like hell out of there with the thing chasing me

What I did NOT like, and I may be in the minority here, is the actual "horror" enemy encounter stuff. All that did for me was break up the game into sections of "oh here we go having to awkwardly avoid this instadeath thing as we slowly slog around this environment.

I'm not sure you're in the minority here -- the inclusion of monster segments seems to be the most common grievance people have with the game. Personally I enjoyed them... the part where you have to fumble around to get an elevator to open almost gave me a heart attack. The monster was literally 2 feet behind me when the door closed (not sure if it was scripted like that or not, it felt organic). I can totally see why people don't like them though since it can get in the way of exploring the environment fully.

Top Bottom