• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The start of Bloodborne and how it's freaking awful

RollerMeister

Neo Member
I gave some thought to why From might have put that big guy with the big axe right in the beginning of the stage, and I honestly think it's so you have a quick and safe way to practice the combat system without interference :) good way for seasoned DS players and new players alike to get accustomed to the intricacies of the combat system

Anura

Even Logarius? Ebrietas? Defiled Amygdala?
A lot of people have trouble with Rom as well. Yharnam? Barely remember it.

I did find Demons hard though....quite.

Logarious for the first time I'd agree with, but the other three are super easy to cheese. Ebby and Rom only really get tough for me at like new game +5 or so

Melchiah

Its funny..there's an interview somewhere that has Miyazaki talking about how BB's intro area was so difficult they decided to tone it down a bit in DS3's. Wish they hadnt, and made bonfires less abundant.

BB's starting level is harder than the other Souls games but I think its better for it and by no means badly designed. The game give you the items you need to start leveling up within the level, the combat mechanics are better suited to fight groups of enemies(unlike DS2), and sneaking/running past enemies is always an option to fall back on.

That bonfire with the big wolf with the patrolling enemies, From actually put in a queue for the player to know when they will start moving again so it's possible to consistently sneak by them. There a spot up the stairs on the right where the Bell will ring and the enemies will start moving again, the same way, every time. If you pay attention to these sorts of queues Central Yharnam isnt so tough.

There's a quick route to the shortcut in Central Yharnam near the laughing lady in the house, hidden behind some breakable coffins. Again the game rewards the attentive and curious player, all while giving those who are less so, ample tools to complete it.

The wolves on the bridge? Yes very difficult but again, you could run past. Or guess what, there's an alternate path that will lead you to a madman's knowledge and the shortcut, albeit the route is longer. So the game forces you to make a natural choice concerning progression: Do I fight these two OP wolves or do I take this alternate path? Do I trust my ability with the game mechanics, or am I better off continuing to explore and staying alive longer? That is good game design. The player always has options but nothing is ever spoon fed to them. Not being able to level up to spend your echoes also contributes to the tension the game wants to give off in the first area. It also ties in well with the story for those that actually pay attention to it(you should its amazing).

That they were able to create such an intricate level all around that 1 Lamp is a showcase of excellent design not bad design.

Good post, particularly the second to last paragraph. That's exactly why Central Yharnam is such an amazing area to play. I still remember how thrilling it was on the first time, when I didn't know what lied ahead. For some the nervous search and the slowly unfolding mystery can apparently be negative things.

Dan-o

OP, I just want to point out one thing, since you mentioned it a few times, and I didn't see it get corrected (Someone may have responded... sorry if I missed it)

You don't have to beat the first boss to start leveling up. You just have to get TO them. Once you do, and die, then leveling up begins.

As for the rest of the conversation... man... it's probably best to just ignore some folks. ;)

My 'trick' with the first section was to "stay right" as you approach the bonfire, and go up to the sidewalks. There, you'll only attract 2 or 3 guys at a time, but usually just 1. Once you pass the bonfire, you can drop down in front of the safe side of the big door getting pounded on. From there, I had no trouble taking out 1 or 2 guys at the bonfire at a time. Seems if you approach the bonfire from the default side, it's significantly harder. After that, stay left and find the shortcut and you'll be well on your way.

I'm FAR from finishing the game myself, as I just don't have the time to jump into it as much as I did before... but I found that first section harder than damn near anything else, aside from subsequent bosses. It took me 4 or 5 tries to beat Cleric Beast... 2 tries to beat Father Gas... and... a ton more for every boss after that... but the levels themselves? Nothing quite as frustratingly tough as that first bit... and that first bit gets super easy after you've done it a few times. It's one of the best parts of the game to rack up blood echoes and a few other things.

Wamb0wneD

So I managed to find she shortcut, managed to get the insight and beat the two werewolves and now I'm completly out of Blood Vials after dying to the boss 3 times lol. That thing always sweeps in the direction I'm trying to dodge in and i have no clue how I can "aim for it's head" with my gun or cocktails how it's advised online. How the hell can I aim any of this? Also arew the souls i lost in the fight gone when I return to hunters dream?

So I managed to find she shortcut, managed to get the insight and beat the two werewolves and now I'm completly out of Blood Vials after dying to the boss 3 times lol. That thing always sweeps in the direction I'm trying to dodge in and i have no clue how I can "aim for it's head" with my gun or cocktails how it's advised online. How the hell can I aim any of this?

When you're locked on, move R3 to select a different body part with the R3 target dot. You can then shoot it with your gun, or toss a molotov at it.

My advice and this works for me: set yourself a 'goal' before chugging blood vials in boss fights. I tend to not start using, unless it's obvious I'm doing really well, before a certain percentage of the boss' health is down. This way you know if you've got the patterns down and don't start blowing vials on obviously unsuccessful runs.

Also, you can buy vials in the Hunter's Dream if the shop is unlocked yet (I forget how that works...?)

Regarding dodging, you can't dodge when their attack is winding up, otherwise you'll just end your dodge while their animation is still going and you'll get clipped. You need to time your dodges in this game carefully and do so right before you actually get hit. This will take maximum advantage of the invincibility frames.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So I managed to find she shortcut, managed to get the insight and beat the two werewolves and now I'm completly out of Blood Vials after dying to the boss 3 times lol. That thing always sweeps in the direction I'm trying to dodge in and i have no clue how I can "aim for it's head" with my gun or cocktails how it's advised online. How the hell can I aim any of this? Also arew the souls i lost in the fight gone when I return to hunters dream?
Spend that effort in learning how to fight the boss your way, not trying to decipher how to follow some online guide.

And happy vial farming. The only bad design in BB.

Wamb0wneD

When you're locked on, move R3 to select a different body part with the R3 target dot. You can then shoot it with your gun, or toss a molotov at it.

My advice and this works for me: set yourself a 'goal' before chugging blood vials in boss fights. I tend to not start using, unless it's obvious I'm doing really well, before a certain percentage of the boss' health is down. This way you know if you've got the patterns down and don't start blowing vials on obviously unsuccessful runs.

Also, you can buy vials in the Hunter's Dream if the shop is unlocked yet (I forget how that works...?)

Regarding dodging, you can't dodge when their attack is winding up, otherwise you'll just end your dodge while their animation is still going and you'll get clipped. You need to time your dodges in this game carefully and do so right before you actually get hit. This will take maximum advantage of the invincibility frames.

Yeah that goal seems to be a good thing to do. 50% should be alright. Do you know If I can just sell the foreign clothes i got at the start?

Yeah that goal seems to be a good thing to do. 50% should be alright. Do you know If I can just sell the foreign clothes i got at the start?

I've never sold any gear in Bloodborne. Unlike Souls, pretty much every piece of gear you find is useful in some capacity. I don't even think you get that much anyway, probably much better to just farm a bit and improve your skills while at it.

Poppy

Even Logarius? Ebrietas? Defiled Amygdala?
A lot of people have trouble with Rom as well. Yharnam? Barely remember it.

I did find Demons hard though....quite.

logarius feels so random on his second phase it feels like sometimes the game just has it out for me

like hey im just gonna constantly spam flying sword shit at you lololol

DxD

Banned
The proper way to dodge in Bloodborne is forward and to the side so you can get behind the enemy as they are lunging toward you.

BiggNife

I know the OP has been thoroughly roasted for the past 16 pages but I think this kind of illustrates that you shouldn't go into Bloodborne expecting it to be Dark Souls and vice versa. Regardless of their similarities in design, you have to play pretty differently in each one to be successful. Defense is key in DS, offense is key in BB.

I loved BB but DS didn't click with me at all. I'm not surprised it goes the other way too.

StoneFox

logarius feels so random on his second phase it feels like sometimes the game just has it out for me

like hey im just gonna constantly spam flying sword shit at you lololol
He's such a Kingdom Hearts boss.

If you are talking about the attack where he
spams like 100 swords at you
, you can stop it by
attacking the sword he stabs on the ground.

Wamb0wneD

Seems like the agressive style is out of the window against the boss. He just flails 6 times in a row and when I'm caught once I'm dead. As soon I dodge to the side the camera pulls in so hard I don't see anything and get cornered.

Seems like the agressive style is out of the window against the boss. He just flails 6 times in a row and when I'm caught once I'm dead. As soon I dodge to the side the camera pulls in so hard I don't see anything and get cornered.

If you hit his head enough times, be it with the gun or whatever else, you'll be able to perform a visceral attack on its head that takes a huge chunk of health.

Aside from that, you should be focusing on getting only a few quick hits in each time, maybe 2 depending on the upcoming attack and get the fuck out of dodge.

Wamb0wneD

If you hit his head enough times, be it with the gun or whatever else, you'll be able to perform a visceral attack on its head that takes a huge chunk of health.

Aside from that, you should be focusing on getting only a few quick hits in each time, maybe 2 depending on the upcoming attack and get the fuck out of dodge.

Seems like it yeah. I thought you have to parry him and not shoot the head multiple times lol. Got 20 vials now, gotta try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Apathy

You can parry bosses and get in ripostes.

Also, locking on or not locking on have different rolls and dodges

Ralemont

not me

Lock-on creates big camera problems for large bosses, if you're using it. I just got used to unlocking and finding safe moments to swing the camera.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can parry bosses and get in ripostes.

Also, locking on or not locking on have different rolls and dodges

You can't parry Cleric Beast though. But you can get a visceral attack after doing enough damage to the head. Doesn't have to be with the pistol.

Lock-on creates big camera problems for large bosses, if you're using it. I just got used to unlocking and finding safe moments to swing the camera.
If he's played Souls games til NG++, he should know that already. ;)

Bastables

Reduced damage from enemies, maybe make your attacks stronger too. Pretty simple stuff, without messing up with the core game.
That messes with the feedback loop of learning enemies and areas and overcoming them. That's why the risk reward system of healing in all the games is pretty foundational and changes how you play with estus, grass, lifegems, and blood vials. The healing system and fixed difficulties also change the challenge of hordes in ds2 and speed it Bloodborne. It does mess with the core game.

Cleric Beast is notorious for camera problems when locking on. Don't let it put you off, just learn to use lock-on like everything else, as an optional tool rather than mandatory.

btw Cleric Beast is actually an optional boss, there's no great rush to kill him, you can come back when you've leveled up, got some more vials, upgraded your weapon etc. Also Molotovs work great against this boss. :)

Also, make use of the regain system - when you get hit there is a small window of time when you can regain back the HP you lost by attacking. So when you get hit, don't be so quick to back off and burn through vials, get in there and hack away - the game is built around this and expects you to do this, aggression is rewarded.

Wamb0wneD

On a sidenote fighting the two werewolves on the bridge seriously got my heart pounding and I was close to death 3 or 4 times, they chased me like crazy lol. Good Souls moment for sure.

Yeah I wasn't sure whether to just turn off lock on since the dodge seems to work nicely, if it's nbot against the cleric beast it seems lol.

You can't parry Cleric Beast though. But you can get a visceral attack after doing enough damage to the head. Doesn't have to be with the pistol.

If he's played Souls games til NG++, he should know that already. ;)

Huh, I was wondering what i was doing wrong because I manage to parry every other enemy often enough. Good to know thanks!

Cleric Beast is notorious for camera problems when locking on. Don't let it put you off, just learn to use lock-on like everything else, as an optional tool rather than mandatory.

btw Cleric Beast is actually an optional boss, there's no great rush to kill him, you can come back when you've leveled up, got some more vials, upgraded your weapon etc. Also Molotovs work great against this boss. :)

Also, make use of the regain system - when you get hit there is a small window of time when you can regain back the HP you lost by attacking. So when you get hit, don't be so quick to back off and burn through vials, get in there and hack away - the game is built around this and expects you to do this, aggression is rewarded.

Yeah I was thinking about exploring the sewers a bit more before trying again. Getting health back against a boss is kinda hard because he doesn't stagger against anything and the range he has means I can get max 2 fast attacks in. Wonder what that silver watch is for that a little girl gave me. And where her mother is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In general, very large monsters like the Cleric Beast cannot be gun-parried, though almost all (all?) of them can be staggered for a visceral attack (when that happens, you hear that same "chime" sound as when you successfully gun-parry) after enough damage to their weak point, usually the head.
Medium-sized enemies, including some non-human bosses like [early boss]
the Blood-Starved Beast, and Father G's third form
, can be staggered with the gun with proper timing.

I'm sure someone will find an exception (for example, [late-game optional/chalice dungeon boss]
Abhorrent Beast
might be considered "medium size" but it can't be gun-parried), but that's generally a good rule of thumb.

Carn82

What I like about the start is that when you finally get past Father G without using any cheese, you pretty much mastered the most important mechanics for the rest of the game.

MTC100

Banned
it's a game that caters to a certain group. if you're not that group that's fine, play something from nintendo.

Why not both? By the way, I've beaten the first(pretty easy) boss and the second one(incredibly difficult) today and I truly hope the other bosses aren't as insane as the second one. I really enjoyed the new "world" that bloodborne presented to me after finishing off the 2nd one, I think the exploration of the game-world is what is the most fun to me.

In the same token I really don't think it's that bad when some games don't cater to everyone. If a gamer needs to pass on a very small amount of games because they're too hard is it really the end of the world?

It really depends, I mean take TLOU for example, the game has a very easy mode and it has a quite hard mode with Survivor, I think you truly get the best out of the game on the Survivor difficulty, however it's still a great game, even on easy, though you don't really get the feeling of scarcity of items and feeling of danger in the easier modes.

Now Bloodborne is a great game too, it's not necessarily great only because of its difficulty, it might be a bit worse of an experience if it were easier but I think it would still be a great game. I don't like to pass great games for the most part but there are for sure some people that pass this game because of its difficulty, especially in the beginning hours.

Well I don't know about aiming but I think it always auto targeted its head, at least the gun hit it the one time I tried, you can see my first try and first kill here if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M84M-MljTPM

Getting close with the beast and dodge rolling seems to be a good tactic, also using oil and molotov cocktails seems to be quite devastating to it. Keep in mind that I have upleveled my character a bit, hence the higher amount of HP, maybe my tactic won't work as well if you haven't upped your health pool yet. I died to the second boss before fighting this one, that seems to be necessary for you to be able to level up in this game(dying or killing a boss)...

No, as long as you don't die again, nothing will make your bloodstain disappear, not even quitting the game.

You don't really need to shoot Cleric Beast's head, I would say it's more realistic to just kill him like you kill the Asylum Demon. Shooting him in the head is really just timing and a bit of luck, it's not practical at all in my opinion.

Bloodborne is brilliant when it comes to enemy's attack pattern, Miyazaki seems to know how most Souls player think, so he kinda make the enemy attacks a bit trickier than in Dark Souls. It's part of the fun, really. Enemy attacks really different than Dark Souls, harder to read and more aggresive.

What I like about the start is that when you finally get past Father G without using any cheese, you pretty much mastered the most important mechanics for the rest of the game.

I kinda agree, but a lot of people did rage quit at Blood Starved Beast.

If you are reading this OP, DON'T rage quit the game at BSB, it's optional, you can fight him later.

WorthyEdge da gawd

200-4.gif

Osukaa

Same here lol.

First time ever starting with the axe. The charged R2 attack is insanely good.

LoL It was my starting weapon and I still havent felt a need to change weapons even though I do level up the other weapons in case I wanna play a bit with them I just love the Axe lol Spin to Win

MTC100

Banned
The gameplay as a whole is much more aggressive, since you regain health you've lost if you attack fast enough, this even encourages hacking and slashing away at a horde of enemies as you often regain most of the health you lose as long as the enemies don't stagger you with their attacks...

Poppy

blood starved beast is a fun fight, it is just a little bit annoying in the SHOOT POISON EVERYWHERE phase

but it is one of the most fun monsters to shoot in the face imo

especially with visceral regain rune, i often would get a slow parry on the move where it stands up and crashes down into you and take a shitload of damage but still get the riposte off, which would refill my entire bar (this was in a chalice dungeon i think)

finalflame

Gold Member
Yah, the beginning of the game is hard, even as a Souls veteran. I died a LOT more than I thought I would before the first boss. It's a breeze for me now. As with every Soulsborne game, the same creed applies:

GIT GUD.

Also with the bosses they often have two nodes to break your spirit:
First 50% health or so: relaxed
Then comes a transformation which often is a free opportunity to wail on them
Last 50% health or so: super aggressive and maddened

When you get to the aggressive mode instead of being depressed consider that you have learned how to kill the first mode and consider it is a good sign.

You mean at the corridor? Lol obviously I'm going there all the time. Running into 10 people seems like a bad idea.

You're talking about the corridor with the say...5 people walking toward the other mob near the flaming(?) carriage is, correct? There's that higher part to the right of that with the 2 enemies. Ones kind of a jump scare and the other is an easy behind the back kill if I recall correctly.

There should be a set of stairs leading down to the back if the carriage to the point in which no one will notice you yet. Backstab one and then just kill the rest of them on the ground. The dogs should come next. Take out the dogs while dodging the shooter enemies. After the dogs then take out the sharpshooters.

I think that's how I did it.

Melchiah

I kinda agree, but a lot of people did rage quit at Blood Starved Beast.

If you are reading this OP, DON'T rage quit the game at BSB, it's optional, you can fight him later.

Or return to it later, when you've levelled up and found
poison resistant gear
, like I did on my first run.

Just bought this in the PSN sale for £12.99 after being tempted so many times but put off by not liking Dark Souls. I found the opening tricky and torturous at first but loved the atmosphere and setting (big Lovecraft fan) so persevered.

After a lot of:

YOU DIED
YOU DIED
YOU DIED....

I found out how to level up along with my first shortcut gate. Holy Crap am I glad I stuck with it. I get it now, I love it, the shortcuts, the exploration, taking down a boss single handed, even the grinding (if you choose to do it).

The opening section would now seems like it would be pretty easy if I started again and not because I could level, just because the mechanics of the game start making sense. It stops feeling sluggish once you know what you're doing a bit. Every time I play I feel I learn something else, progress a little more, find something new.

Now when I'm greeted with the message YOU DIED, I know it's because I wasn't prepared, over stretched or just cocked up and it even puts a smile on my face.

Advice to anyone is to stick with it and play in a style that feels right to you.

Love it...and Hello GAF, first post .

Fuck yeah! That's the spirit!
Would love to see a LTTP thread from you, it's been a while since SoulsborneGAF have a good Bloodborne discussion on GAF.

Just curious, what's your weapon of choice?

MTC100

Banned
Just bought this in the PSN sale for £12.99 after being tempted so many times but put off by not liking Dark Souls.

I didn't like Dark Souls either, it was a total drag to play, it was also lacking on the creative side a bit, I guess you could say everything is better with Zombies(I know they aren't... for the most part) but it's something different with Bloodborne(even though the enemies feel like they could have been a creation of Shinji Mikami and could have been the result of an Umbrella experiment :D -The whole starting area with the torches and the bonfire gave me intense Resident Evil 4 vibes, love it), like you said the atmosphere is just great.

It stops feeling sluggish once you know what you're doing a bit. Every time I play I feel I learn something else, progress a little more, find something new.

That's what I've experienced too, at first I wondered how you could play this game with such sluggish controls but at some point I too realized that it's actually quite accurate you just have to learn to understand how the attacks work and how quick or slow each weapon and special are executed. I feel like it's very much like a fighting game in that regard but in a 3D space and it's strangely enough working quite well.

ValfarHL

This thread makes me wanna fire up Bloodborne again, for the n'th time.

It's one of my definitive GOATs.

Good luck on your future endeavours OP.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
If you are having problems with Cleric beast, hug his legs and pay attention to his arms. in BB you have to pay attention to the enemies movements as much or more than your own so you can react accordingly.

Try to stay behind him, if you can. He will readjust himself but stick with it and beat up his legs. in any case, Good luck. You've got this.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Thread made me start watching some playthroughs to see peoples first reactions again. I had no idea about one of the very first shortcuts to unlock the gate to the left of the Central Yarnham bell.....huh. Always just slogged around to it.

gogosox82

I can't believe this thread is still a thing. OP, I hope you've gotten past that area already. There are a lot of tougher areas than that. I sure you'll back on this and think "I can't believe I thought that part was hard". If you have any questions, I'd suggest visiting the Bloodborne OT where there are a lot of people always willing to help or give advice. We won't bite, I swear :)

Daouzin

You don't even need to kill the first boss. You don't even need to encounter it if you want to take the long way.

Yup, that's how my first playthrough went. Just explored until I got to Father. I may have insight before I got to him, but after I died on him the first time I could level. Focused on that for waaaaay too long, then kept dying anyway until I realized, hey dummy, parry.

I love the first area because it really does gate you until you accept the lessons the game is trying to teach you.

This thread makes me wanna fire up Bloodborne again, for the n'th time.

It's one of my definitive GOATs.

I always get the same feeling when people talk about it. I'll probably replay it next year so I can check out the Old Hunters DLC. I'm too terrible to complete it on NG+, I think I'd be just fine on a normal run.

-Horizon-

The start up to the bridge area is downright brutal, I agree. You have dogs, dudes with guns, and then like 2 lycans on the bridge lol.

But don't give up OP if you can get to the house on the opposite side of the bridge of the lycans, there's a shortcut. You're so close!

Don't go down the bridge yet though until you open the shortcut.

Sweetloaf

Fuck yeah! That's the spirit!
Would love to see a LTTP thread from you, it's been a while since SoulsborneGAF have a good Bloodborne discussion on GAF.

Just curious, what's your weapon of choice?

Considered a LTTP but think I've covered everything I wanted to say :)

Hunter's Axe. Bought the Kirk Hammer as well but haven't felt the need to use it yet.

Top Bottom