• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernoca

Can this be explained in more detail?
Basically that if I work for Nintendo and they verify/confirm I do work for Nintendo...

...then I come here saying "I can confirm Nintendo bought Naughty Dog" doesn't mean it's real information. Neither that it was verified as real by NeoGAF mods.

Just that the person is real and works there.

Not

Banned
If this is true, it means I'm getting an NX at launch to play Zelda. It's crazy, Nintendo. I would've been a Wii U owner if it had an original Zelda game.

donny2112

So a price cut on the 3DS around the time NX launches would imply that the NX is a handheld, right?

It's a good sign that the 3DS has gone way too long without a real price cut, and since they need it to last longer (Wii U is dead after this year), they need to give it a boost to keep it semi-relevant. The NX this year is most likely a console release, since Wii U is dead after this year. That's the much more compelling evidence. The handheld price cut is just because they dang thing is way overdue for one, and they need it to last longer.

Peru

I admit I'd be disappointed if this line-up indicates that we're not getting the NX handheld first. I've been very settled on getting a new flagship dedicated portable soon.

Dammit I knew it! Zelda U will pull a Twilight Princess. Time to pull off an Erik Cartman.
BZEioALCcAEfKaX.jpg:large

Malus

It has but I just think a 4 year lifecycle for Wii U burns every Wii U adopter who was expecting at least 5 years of full support just like every Nintendo console before it. If they release the handheld this year and the console in 2017 that wouldn't be an issue

That might be okay if they were to support Wii U for the 5th year but all indications are that Wii U is done.

If this is true, it means I'm getting an NX at launch to play Zelda. It's crazy, Nintendo. I would've been a Wii U owner if it had an original Zelda game.

They'd probably rather you buy NX than Wii U at this point.

I think it's better financially at this point for Nintendo to capitalize on getting people like you interested in the NX rather than the Wii U.

Wow at Zelda NX being confirmed, then.

If it doesn't have Gamepad functionality on both, I'd say the delay is entirely related to retooling the game so that the Gamepad isn't required.

It has but I just think a 4 year lifecycle for Wii U burns every Wii U adopter who was expecting at least 5 years of full support just like every Nintendo console before it. If they release the handheld this year and the console in 2017 that wouldn't be an issue

Do you think having the Wii U around an extra year means we'll get more games for it? Because it seems like it would really just be dead weight for another year with maybe one or two with worthwhile titles. If the NX takes off with a sting launch it means it'll be safer for Nintendo to invest more money into creating more software for the system because the profit ceiling would be higher than possible on the Wii U.

So Wii U isn't even going to have its own Zelda? That's pretty sad.

I prefer this naritive over sending it out to die on the Wii U where its sales will be limited by its unpopularity in the marketplace. Zelda was the swan song for the Wii, I'd rather it kickstart a new platform this time around.

Hmm...no WiiU price cut? That's odd...
Yeah, not sure if Trev has anything about that.
It's weird that the Wii U is on its way out and it never got a true price cut (at most they just made better bundles)
I prefer this naritive over sending it out to die on the Wii U where its sales will be limited by its unpopularity in the marketplace. Zelda was the swan song for the Wii, I'd rather it kickstart a new platform this time around.
Yeah, Zelda games take way too long to make, sadly the last 3 have suffered in one regard or another (TP was delayed for Wii, SS was rebooted a lot of times and then was finished for several months before it came out, and Zelda U was likely a mixture of the two or at least that's what I understood)
I'm hoping the next one doesn't take as long

I'm still baffled at how this verified source has no issue leaking forecasted marketing budgets by line of business. There are so many potential downstream impacts, that I can't believe a company like Nintendo (who fires people for a lot less) would allow this to go unpunished.

For example:

If Nintendo is actually meeting with EA next month to discuss joint partnership deals, then these figures could drastically change the dynamics of their negotiation. In fact, EA could anchor the entire discussion around these figures.

Trev, you likely can't say publicly, but how can this source be safe? I know at my (non-Nintendo) job, I'd get fired very quickly for a breach like this.

Madao

So Wii U isn't even going to have its own Zelda? That's pretty sad.

nah, it will count as a Wii U game like TP counts as a GC game and the Wii version is the port.

i expect even less control differences this time compared to TP's dual release.

finalflame

Gold Member
This kind of stuff is why so many companies operate under a toxic culture of secrecy and need-to-know. Must be hard being a game company that wants to share exciting information with your employees, then have to deal with crap like this.

Hope OP's "source" is a contingent worker and doesn't give a fuck about references.

jholmes

Oh c'mon OP, if you're going to get this source of yours in trouble, at least give us Wii U or NX stuff. I find it hard to get excited about Disney Magical World 2 leaking.

Trev, you likely can't say publicly, but how can this source be safe? I know at my (non-Nintendo) job, I'd get fired very quickly for a breach like this.

Also yeah, who is this really benefiting? I mean we got a thread out of it, but it's not worth someone losing their job (or friendship).

Jetman

Same here. I actually would have budged for an original Metroid as well.
Hoping for some Wii U backwards compatibility so I can at least try out 3D Land, W101, and a few others I'm curious about but couldn't push me over the edge to buy a U.

Vena

The budget info is dubious at best, these things are always liquid and never disclosed they are damning to the company in deal making and trades. I don't really get the goal of the source here unless they are doing it out of spite to leak that sort of information or even leak something "ballparked" on that information. Forget their own job, its going to make the job of others in marketing have problems as well.

That's just a fucked up thing to leak.

Neoxon

Link to topic/post where this gets confirmed?
Ask & you shall receive.
Mannnnn reading this thread has been something else hahaha :D

I went through the same as you Trevelyan (but not trying to verify my source) and was laughed for several threads (later redeemed).

In the end I thought it was not worthy so now the little information I get I keep it to myself and enjoy reading all kind of speculation from people here.

My only contribution:

- ShockingAlberto has been wrong before so I don't understand why a "ahahaha" post is taken as gospel (no offense to ShockingAlberto).
- Cadillac is the New Style Boutique game (so you only need to speculate about the other ones).

E3 is around the corner guys, be patient! :)

Fularu

Banned
The Wii U is almost 5 years old now and its cost has more to do with the Gamepad than its actual power.

If the NXDS is more powerful than Vita, I think it could handle a Wii U game.

The WiiU is 3 years and 3 months old

A far cry from "almost 5 years old)

inner-G

Banned
On one hand, it's cool they're releasing DQ.

On the other hand, holding it until the next system is already on the horizon and releasing 2 giant games back to back negates almost all the potential these games have to build franchise recognition in the West.

I commend Nintendo for having the balls to release them though.

Instro

Hmm...no WiiU price cut? That's odd...

I wouldn't expect one, there's no benefit on their end and it doesn't even seem like it's been manufactured for a while anyway. The WiiU hardware will disappear from shelves before this is out.

Faustek

Zelda getting the TP treatment again?

Didn't we already expect this?

Anyway I'm bummed Dragon Quest will take so long :( Hope EU can get the BD treatment where we get it earlier ^^

Also....no this really puts the nail in the coffin that NX might be a handheld...at least for now.
Damnit I want a Vita 2.0 from Nintendo -.-

Neoxon

I wouldn't expect one, there's no benefit on their end and it doesn't even seem like it's been manufactured for a while anyway. The WiiU hardware will disappear from shelves before this is out.
And on the flip side, the supposed 3DS price drop may simply be a means of Nintendo clearing out the last of their 3DS stock before the NX Handheld comes out.

Didn't we already expect this?

Anyway I'm bummed Dragon Quest will take so long :( Hope EU can get the BD treatment where we get it earlier ^^

Also....no this really puts the nail in the coffin that NX might be a handheld...at least for now.
Damnit I want a Vita 2.0 from Nintendo -.-
It doesn't kill the idea of an NX Handheld, but instead lowering the chances of it hitting North America this year.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
The budget info is dubious at best, these things are always liquid and never disclosed they are damning to the company in deal making and trades. I don't really get the goal of the source here unless they are doing it out of spite to leak that sort of information or even leak something "ballparked" on that information. Forget their own job, its going to make the job of others in marketing have problems as well.

That's just a fucked up thing to leak.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I somewhat agree about how odd it is to have the marketing money. To someone outside of marketing, I'm not sure the numbers make much sense to the average consumer. Assuming all of this info was on a single sheet, I'm really surprised this source didn't black out the numbers data, as it's not exactly "for the fans" and it just seems to be oddly leaking Nintendo's financial secrets. As you said, it could be damaging, and I can't see how it could be helpful.

Also, the news of a price cut, if this news spreads and is valid, is something of concern for Nintendo, as I'm pretty sure announcements of price drops almost always lead to a drop in sales. I believe that's why they're typically announced on the day of the drop or immediately before. The fact that the drop is supposed to happen at the end of this year and it's currently February...like I said, hopefully this doesn't spread.

If this spreads and gets picked up by one of the bigger sites, if this is true, then I'm sure some of the higher ups at Nintendo are going to be awfully upset. The source's motivations seem odd. I mean, if they want to share it, then I guess they can. There might be consequences for breaking their contract, but they can. I'd think it's kind of odd if they thought that this could possibly damage their employer and then did it anyway because they realized it couldn't be traced to them... Perhaps they know it won't.

Maybe it's somehow fake and no one at Nintendo cares. Maybe it's real and still no one cares. Maybe it's real and some people are very upset right now. I'm hoping it's the second one. And really, this concern only exists if this news were to spread beyond NeoGAF and a few random blogs.

I don't know. This is odd. The information is cool to have, though. I just hope it's only good that comes of it.

EDIT: Admittedly, I'm always pretty negative towards leaks, so I suppose my thoughts and writing have been affected by that.

Instro

And on the flip side, the supposed 3DS price drop may simply be a means of Nintendo clearing out the last of their 3DS stock before the NX Handheld comes out.

Possibly, hard to say without knowing how the next handheld is positioned to launch. If nothing else it gives the 3DS and extra edge to help move bundles and software.

While this is fairly good info, there is nothing super shocking about this information tbh. Zelda Wii U getting the NX treatment was basically guaranteed. The other stuff is kind of expected as well.

Vena

3DS price drop makes me think stock liquidation rather than "maintain interest along side another platform".

Maybe it's somehow fake and no one at Nintendo cares. Maybe it's real and still no one cares. Maybe it's real and some people are very upset right now. I'm hoping it's the second one. And really, this concern only exists if this news were to spread beyond NeoGAF and a few random blogs.

I don't know. This is odd. The information is cool to have, though. I just hope it's only good that comes of it.

A lot of this info just doesn't seem conducive to "fans" or otherwise, and some of its just damaging information. I don't get the idea behind it. I also just really don't believe the idea of the marketing budget being set like that months ahead of time, budgets are always liquid especially for marketing because you never know if a Splatoon can occur or not.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So a price cut on the 3DS around the time NX launches would imply that the NX is a handheld, right?
No, it just implies that they wanna sell more 3ds consoles during the holidays with a new Pokémon coming.

CrisKre

This will actually be a great year for nintendo if this pans out.

Pokken, tp hd, Starfox, #FE, Mario & Sonic, Paper Mario (?) and Zelda U seems like a respectable sendoff for wii U.

Pretty robust 3ds lineup, movile offerings and NX launch sounds good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom