• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Games: what does this thing have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

This is a little OT, but I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS sometime this week, are there any specials going on in the US, like gift cards or whatever? I'm not finding much. I hope to find a Super Mario Land bundle, the red 3DS is hot. Or maybe I'll get the pink one.

The best deal for that bundle I found was at Gamestop for $199.

I'll tell you what this thing doesn't have.

Mega Man Legends 3 :(

Anyways, I'm loving my 3DS so far. So many good games coming soon. Let's hope that Pokemon Grey is one of them!

Tunavi

Banned
This is a little OT, but I'm thinking about picking up a 3DS sometime this week, are there any specials going on in the US, like gift cards or whatever? I'm not finding much. I hope to find a Super Mario Land bundle, the red 3DS is hot. Or maybe I'll get the pink one.
Best Buy had vanilla 3ds for 170 with a $30 Gift card last week. You might try to see if they still have that deal

Any list that includes Dr. Lautrec is a good list.

Rayman 3D should get a mention too. The framerate issues are annoying but it's still a decent port of the best version of the best Rayman there is.

Any list that includes Dr. Lautrec is a good list.

Rayman 3D should get a mention too. The framerate issues are annoying but it's still a decent port of the best version of the best Rayman there is.

Wrong.

I take it you haven't played this?

LTVXQ.jpg

:p

Sayah

I still have no clue what Namco is doing with this game. Is it Tekken Tag 2 minus the tagging? I loved how T5DR and T6 turned out on the PSP, but I don't think the 3DS's clicky buttons would contribute well to playing the game on my lap piano-style.

Still probably getting it Day 1.

There is not much information revealed for it but it's definitely not a tag game. Its roster is definitely as big as Tekken 6: BR so that's good news. The release is nearing so hopefully more information is revealed soon.

PKrockin

I disagree.

- Horrible sound balance
- Incredibly glitchy sound effects
- Somewhat glitchy graphic effects and animation
- No dynamic lighting/shading
- No Globox Village
- Poor, occasionally headache-inducing 3D implementation
- Very unstable framerate, guaranteed drops whenever an enemy is on screen
- No voice acting option
- No new content
- $40

Stay away from Rayman 3D unless you find it dirt cheap and haven't played Rayman 2.

rayman 1 on dsiware is better anyway

IrishNinja

anyone know what capacity SD card the 3DS can take? the stock 2GB is nice, but ive got a 16GB i'm not using, if that works i just gotta look up how the transfer process goes.

IrishNinja

shit yes.

how should i go about putting in a new SD card, what's the transfer process like? also, add me back when you get a chance, ace.

Omikaru

shit yes.

how should i go about putting in a new SD card, what's the transfer process like? also, add me back when you get a chance, ace.

I'm not 100% sure since I've never had to do this, but I believe you can just move all your content from your old card over to your new one with a computer. If you only have one reader, just pop your old card in, copy the contents to a folder on your HDD (keeping the folder structure, of course), then replace with the new SD card and move it back.

Failing that, 3DS Store accounts are tied to the system only, so you can simply re-download all your stuff if the straight transfer doesn't work.

IrishNinja

I'm not 100% sure since I've never had to do this, but I believe you can just move all your content from your old card over to your new one with a computer. If you only have one reader, just pop your old card in, copy the contents to a folder on your HDD (keeping the folder structure, of course), then replace with the new SD card and move it back.

Failing that, 3DS Store accounts are tied to the system only, so you can simply re-download all your stuff if the straight transfer doesn't work.

was hoping the first suggestion would work, gonna give that a go later - then default to the second. thanks man!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think I might pick up Tekken 3D. I'm starting to like playing fighters on the handheld instead of the console because there are less buttons you have to push.
That is quite possibly the strangest reasoning I've ever heard and also untrue.

Street Fighter IV, for instance, is a six button fighting game on every platform including 3DS. You don't simply reduce the button count by moving to a handheld.

stupei

The 3ds games library is still really really weak. The only game id like to play of that list is mario 3d land.

The rest are either shoddy or console ports.

The future line up though looks pretty good.

Ill give it another year, hopefully by then a revision is released.

Cool assumptions, bro.

I mean since "the only game I'd like to play" makes it sound as if you haven't already played any of them. Ghost Recon isn't the best SRPG ever but it's consistently fun and for the price it's at now, it's definitely worth it. Mario Kart 7 is worth it. And thus far I'd say Doctor Lautrec might be worth it, especially if found at a discount. I certainly wouldn't say shoddy for any of them but I can see how you'd think that if you haven't played them.

was hoping the first suggestion would work, gonna give that a go later - then default to the second. thanks man!

I can assure you that suggestion one works 100%.
I changed SD cards 2 times(from 2GB to 4GB and then to 8GB) already and I never had a single problem with the normal PC file transfer(SD -> PC HDD -> new SD).

JimboJones

Make sure the read write speeds on thev SD card are decent, someone in the swapnote thread said they got a slower one and it made some loading a little slower.

IrishNinja

I can assure you that suggestion one works 100%.
I changed SD cards 2 times(from 2GB to 4GB and then to 8GB) already and I never had a single problem with the normal PC file transfer(SD -> PC HDD -> new SD).

awesome, can't wait to get home and swap these out.

Make sure the read write speeds on thev SD card are decent, someone in the swapnote thread said they got a slower one and it made some loading a little slower.

..crap. gonna have to look into that first, then!

IrishNinja

that sounds nice - dumb question but do SD cards usually say the speed on the card itself? if not, guess i'll have to do some googling to see how this one fares against the stock 2GB.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So if you switch data from one SD Card to another, does that mean even games as well? All my eShop games and applications are saved on my SD Card so I'm wondering.

qq more

I disagree.

- Horrible sound balance
- No Globox Village
- No voice acting option
- No new content
- $40

Stay away from Rayman 3D unless you find it dirt cheap and haven't played Rayman 2.

^ This. Seriously, don't buy it. I bought mines for only 16 dollars and I still regret it. Ugh. What an awful port of an amazing game

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So if you switch data from one SD Card to another, does that mean even games as well? All my eShop games and applications are saved on my SD Card so I'm wondering.

Just put my SD content in a bigger & faster class 8 SD card, you need to copy paste. It works and Increased speed performance is welcomed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just got me a 3DS! Snagged the last Super Mario Land bundle at my local videogame store. Unfortunately I had to go to work right afterwards so I haven't even opened up the box yet. Now I need to find a way to sneak away for a bit...

Anyways, I will be picking up Mario Kart 7 and OoT 3D soon, not sure where to go from there. Maybe RE: Mercenaries.

Boney

Banned
Just got me a 3DS! Snagged the last Super Mario Land bundle at my local videogame store. Unfortunately I had to go to work right afterwards so I haven't even opened up the box yet. Now I need to find a way to sneak away for a bit...

Anyways, I will be picking up Mario Kart 7 and OoT 3D soon, not sure where to go from there. Maybe RE: Mercenaries.

Why didn't you get the pink one!!

And although I enjoyed Mercs for what it is, it was pretty disapointing, with Revelations coming out soon and it having a more in depth online co-op game, I'd only recommend Mercs if it's really cheap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll wait on Mercs, then. I've heard a lot of good about Pushmo, so I'll definitely check it out, only problem is that I don't have Wi-Fi at home. I only have wired, so it'll be hard to access the e-shop on a regular basis :(

Why didn't you get the pink one!!

The bastards didn't have one. I would have totally bought in for Nintencats, I need that game too.

Tunavi

Banned
I really want some of these E-store games. I'm going to get Pushmo and a digital copy of SML2:6 Golden Coins.

What does GAF think of the following?
Megaman
Kirby's Adventure 3D
Kirby's Dreamland
Metroid II (I loved Fusion)
Link's Awakening
Donkey Kong

Any other great Estore games?

Marlowe89

Earlier today I was pondering the likelihood of a Majora's Mask 3D, but then realized that Ocarina of Time is the most acclaimed game in the series and was probably just released to commemorate Zelda's 25th anniversary. Oh well.

But yeah, I'm definitely planning to buy the 3DS as soon as possible.

watershed

Banned
Earlier today I was pondering the likelihood of a Majora's Mask 3D, but then realized that Ocarina of Time is the most acclaimed game in the series and was probably just released to commemorate Zelda's 25th anniversary. Oh well.

But yeah, I'm definitely planning to buy the 3DS as soon as possible.

I think Miyamoto or someone mentioned that they'd like to do that at some point but not right now because they didn't want two remakes back to back. I think it will happen though just because the 3ds is just starting its life and a remake/update can be outsourced and made for cheaper than the costs of making a brand new game. It will probably be the zelda game after the first true 3ds zelda game.

I disagree.

- Horrible sound balance
- No Globox Village
- No voice acting option
- No new content
- $40

I only ever see Rayman 3d for $20 or less now. Sometimes $30. But I agree with the rest of your points. It was nice to have because there was nothing else at the time and I'd never played it, but it's outclassed by everything else released platforming wise on the system.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that I can only find one game worth a damn on the eShop on a handheld in 2011/12?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll probably buy VVVVVV if/when I get my 3DS online, but I've already played that game a few times on PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I finally got around to buying Star Fox and it's probably the best use of the GPU of any game I own (and I own more than I should, so I'm an expert). Its pretty fun too I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
No VVVVVV last I checked the Aussie store, but I've already played it three times anyway. Switch Force is kind of... not quite there.

Captain N

The original DS version was very shallow but was worth it for some of the bizarre bossfights where your custom dino fought things like telephone booths and monster trucks.
I have no idea if the 3DS version still has that.

EDIT- Oh its only ten bucks? Im willing to take one for the team.

its pretty much exactly like the DS one..only on the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom