• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please don't spoil games for others.

xevis

Banned
So everyone who missed out on the game (and people are giving birth any second so the count only rises) and want to play it don't deserve to have a pure experience of it while going on NeoGAF? Just because you can't put a tiny spoiler tag if you're talking about the ending? Why are you guys so hell bent on spoiling games to others just to prove a point?

Writing with spoiler tags is onerous and annoying and ruins good discussion. Outside of some OT with clear rules about spoilers I will not not go out of my way to spoiler-tag things. GAF is a discussion forum. I'm here to discuss things, not pander to the anxieties of people with a debilitating fear of missing out.

Rncewind

I know what arbitrary means, and plenty of things in this world are arbitrary and the same is true for spoilers. If you think using your brain for a few seconds and deciding whether to click the spoiler tag or not based on said usage is "field research" then go ahead, be free to out yourself as a dick to as many people as you want.

As for your Star Wars example; again, that's trying to intentionally be obtuse. Using something that even Disney themselves don't consider a spoiler (it's got its own Lego sets for gods sake) to justify other spoilers is wrong. The Harry Potter thing has only become a "lol not a spoiler" meme because of the long, arduous work put in by brave pro-spoiler people like yourself to spoil anyone and everyone they can.

Lost their shit or "said something spoiled them before being set upon by people who think
Snape killing Dumbledore
in Harry Potter isn't a spoiler?"

Because it's probably the latter. People with a laissez-faire attitude to spoilers can't even handle Ganon being spoiler tagged in an otherwise unrelated Zelda thread without making the thread entirely about such a horrible infraction. I doubt they'd be able to handle someone having the sheer audacity to harmlessly voice their concern about something they consider a spoiler.

nice strawman, did you just didnt post how you define a spoiler? lol. At its release point there was no offcial marketing material, nor is it now actually, to outright spoil it. So by your definition its a spoiler and shows how silly you are

also i already outed myself as mr. scumbag, so i guess i am dick also. At least i dont contridict myself

Plum

nice strawman, did you just didnt post how you define a spoiler? lol. At its release point there was no offcial marketing material, nor is it now actually, to outright spoil it. So by your definition its a spoiler and shows how silly you are

What? I honestly don't understand.

ActWan

Writing with spoiler tags is onerous and annoying and ruins good discussion. Outside of some OT with clear rules about spoilers I will not not go out of my way to spoiler-tag things. GAF is a discussion forum. I'm here to discuss things, not pander to the anxieties of people with a debilitating fear of missing out.

You won't go out of your way to spoiler-tag things, but you will go out of your way to spoil things? (Like SotC in this very thread)
That's just a dick move.
You're not pandering to some left field anxiety, but a very common and reasonable one.

hank_tree

Obviously people shouldn't go out of their way to spoil plot beats on people.

But if knowing what is going to happen turns you off a game/movie etc then you are weird.

It must be terrible going through life unable to ever rewatch a movie you love. Or re-read a book. Or play a remaster. God knows how you listen to music. One listen I guess and then onto the next thing.

Never mind that 99% of stories in mainstream are basically identical to other stories and are very predictable. So you must have to be so selective with your media choices as to not watch anything that has the same plot structure as something else you've consumed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's basic stuff that that person can't reasonably get indignant over.

Here is the problem, your definition of "reasonable" is not my definition of "reasonable". You draw the line at, apparently, complaining about weapon spoilers in DS3. I draw the line at someone wandering into a forum with open discussion, getting spoiled, then getting pissy they got spoiled. At some point, the spoilerphobe needs to take responsibility and go on blackout if being spoilerfree is really so important to them, because it's unreasonable, to me at least, to expect everyone in the world to tiptoe around you.

HMD

HZD best written and produced sci-fi story in gaming imo. Without it the game would be a pretty open world with great combat. Not a bad game at all.

edit: OP if you'd like you can pm me the spoilers you read and I'll tell you if they're big or not. Cause the game has a lot of plot points you can spoil so I imagine you couldn't have had everything spoiled for you.

Rncewind

What? I honestly don't understand.

There is no offcial marketing material that says darth vader is lukes father.

The only thing you brought up was lego pieces, which has nothing to do with it, thats franchise, do you even know how many spoilers are in franchise products? lol

So by your own definition its a spoiler, which shows how laughauble the point is that you try to argue

But if knowing what is going to happen turns you off a game/movie etc then you are weird.

It must be terrible going through life unable to ever rewatch a movie you love. Or re-read a book. Or play a remaster. God knows how you listen to music. One listen I guess and then onto the next thing.
"The first time" is usually assumed when people are talking about spoilers. They're not talking about rewatches or rereads

LotusHD

Banned

Never mind that 99% of stories in mainstream are basically identical to other stories and are very predictable. So you must have to be so selective with your media choices as to not watch anything that has the same plot structure as something else you've consumed.

Lol, that is not the same thing... Like, at all.

Regardless of the spoiler in question being a big deal or not, it's natural for a person to want to have the freshest experience possible the first time around.

Gradon

I don't get why people post 'obvious spoilers everyone knows' in threads like these, as if they're making a statement on how they disagree with spoilers. Chances are you've just spoilt Harry Potter, Star Wars or Final Fantasy VII for someone whose never interacted with them, and that's still a dick move.

I try to avoid all spoilers, I don't consider gameplay mechanics spoilers and I'm not OVERLY sensitive but I don't like people talking about plot twists so openly. I had every death and execution spoilt in Danganronpa 2 one month before it came out in English due to friends, it definitely effected my enjoyment and I was bummed out until reaching chapter 5.

ferunnico

Neo Member
I'm with you, OP. I don't get the people that say you should appreciate the story as more than just simple plot points and story beats or whatever. Many stories are built around a specific twist or reveal. Horizon's story is one those. The reveal in Horizon was actually the only interesting part of that story in my opinion, so I can see how getting spoiled could impact further enjoyment of the game.

I hate spoilers - I'm obviously talking about important story spoilers - with a passion as they ruin the games for me and would love it if said users were (temp) banned, especially if others tell them that it's a spoiler and they're like the only one's who don't agree and refuse to edit their post until a mod finally has to do so...
Still have to play Horizon and haven't been spoiled so far, thankfully.
Currently still playing through Nier: Automata and am mostly staying away from threads discussing how well the game sold since I always fear that someone might post a spoilerific reference.

hank_tree

Lol, that is not the same thing... Like, at all.

Regardless of the spoiler in question being a big deal or not, it's natural for a person to want to have the freshest experience possible the first time around.

Of course. But I wouldn't let a spoiler stop me from playing a game I was enjoying, as the OP did.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't get why people post 'obvious spoilers everyone knows' in threads like these, as if they're making a statement on how they disagree with spoilers. Chances are you've just spoilt Harry Potter, Star Wars or Final Fantasy VII for someone whose never interacted with them, and that's still a dick move.

I also find it annoying when people do that. Like yes, there's a bunch of stuff out there that are well-known spoilers or big pop culture thing that "everyone" should know by now, but it just makes you look like a dick lmao

I don't care how old any movie or game is, it's still new to some people. Just because you saw it XX amount of time ago doesn't mean you should spoil things just because it's old to you

Haly

I don't believe this is the case. I think it is just a product of modern culture, and our obsession with capturing "experiences". I don't think the our forebears ever struggled with spoilers to the point we do; if they did I'd love to see evidence of it.
I also find it annoying when people do that. Like yes, there's a bunch of stuff out there that are well-known spoilers or big pop culture thing that "everyone" should know by now, but it just makes you look like a dick lmao
If you follow this standard strictly, you could never talk about pop culture or anything in public because someone passing by might get spoiled and thus you're being a dick. Unless you're just okay with being a dick? My problem is people bringing up this standard only when they get spoiled, or in a discussion about spoilers. If you're talking to someone about the latest episode of Better Call Saul, do you tell them to lower their voice so you don't accidentally spoil anyone around you?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
If you put yourself in threads about a game you're playing, then that's your problem. If it was a spoiler said in a completely unrelated topic to the game, then that guy is wrong.

Rncewind

Im rather being a dick then dont be able to cope with the internet. I mean, do you watch game of thrones? There were
(and im gonna actually spoiler tag this to show how riddiciolus that is) the lannister send their regards
gifs all over the internet, including gaf on the next day. Now you can be under the assumption that 95 % of the internet had the vile intent to being a dick, or you understand how social media/internet works.

Plum

There is no offcial marketing material that says darth vader is lukes father.

The only thing you brought up was lego pieces, which has nothing to do with it, thats franchise, do you even know how many spoilers are in franchise products? lol

So by your own definition its a spoiler, which shows how laughauble the point is that you try to argue

When you have a set showing Darth Vader's transformations and blu-ray box sets showing Anakin pretty much as Darth Vader lining store shelves front and centre but nothing for (Episode VII)
Han Solo's death in the Starkiller Base
it's pretty clear what Disney officially sees as a spoiler or not.

But, again, you're being intentionally obtuse.

sisyphus.jpg

xevis trying not to spoil things for other people, 2017

I don't believe this is the case. I think it is just a product of modern culture, and our obsession with capturing "experiences". I don't think the our forebears ever struggled with spoilers to the point we do; if they did I'd love to see evidence of it.
It's absolutely the case. It's as simple as that. Like if your friend is watching Game of Thrones, and you just tell them all the major plot points, they're not going to be annoyed because of an "obsession with capturing experiences." They're going to be annoyed because they're invested in the show, and were looking forward to watching it as a first time viewer who doesnt know what happens next.

Rncewind

When you have a set showing Darth Vader's transformations and blu-ray box sets showing Anakin pretty much as Darth Vader lining store shelves front and centre but nothing for (Episode VII)
Han Solo's death in the Starkiller Base
it's pretty clear what Disney officially sees as a spoiler or not.

But, again, you're being intentionally obtuse.

So no offical marketing you are saying, gottcha

xevis

Banned
You won't go out of your way to spoiler-tag things, but you will go out of your way to spoil things? (Like SotC in this very thread)
That's just a dick move.
You're not pandering to some left field anxiety, but a very common and reasonable one.

There's nothing reasonable about expecting the rest of the world to talk about things with black bars because someone somewhere might consider what's being said a spoiler. Any line you choose to draw is arbitrary so either everything is a spoiler or nothing is. Outside of threads with clear rules, I opt for the latter. I "spoiled" SotC to highlight how ridiculous were the expectations of the person I was responding to.

Like, I don't know how to discuss games without dissecting their constituent elements, including their story, and I don't know how to do that without potential spoilers.

Plum

If you follow this standard strictly, you could never talk about pop culture or anything in public because someone passing by might get spoiled and thus you're being a dick. Unless you're just okay with being a dick? My problem is people bringing up this standard only when they get spoiled, or in a discussion about spoilers. If you're talking to someone about the latest episode of Better Call Saul, do you tell them to lower their voice so you don't accidentally spoil anyone around you?

Yes, if you're in public saying the latest spoilers for Better Call Saul out loud in a tone where multiple people might hear you you're a dick.

It's called being polite, and if someone calls you out on your dickishness after saying the equivalent of "SAUL IS JESSE PINKMAN FROM THE FUTURE" then just accept that you're a dick and move on.

So no offical marketing you are saying, gottcha

Wow

It feels like those who think spoilers aren't an issue and attack people who do are always using some strawman example to justify their own shitty behaviour.

"people get annoyed for saying there is a snow level in the game. Damn spoiler culture'.

I just never understand why it's such a hard concept to grasp that you can never get your first viewing /play through back and having a story beat or revelation spoiled naturally changes your expectations going in thus changing your first experience with it compared to how it would have been naturally.

You may not care and that's perfectly valid for you but many people do. It only takes a second to be considerate and avoid potential spoilers for others but for many pro spoiler people it seems asking even that of them is inconsiderate to them and makes them even more determined to spoil things.

It's Like a child lashing out honestly.

SoulUnison

Banned
While knowing the ending can hurt a bit, isn't it the journey that actually matters, especially with a game?

Mystery and discovery are deeply linked drives of the human spirit.
It can be hard to enjoy the journey when there's a known, anticipated finish line.
Suddenly interactions and experiences that could have been affecting feel more like ticking boxes on a checklist, or worse, meaningless or trite because you can too far between the lines to see the end.

"Where is this going?" is one of the most fun questions to be able to honestly ask when becoming invested in a new story.

There's nothing reasonable about expecting the rest of the world to talk about things with black bars because someone somewhere might consider what's being said a spoiler. Any line you choose to draw is arbitrary so either everything is a spoiler or nothing is. Outside of threads with clear rules, I opt for the latter. I "spoiled" SotC to highlight how ridiculous the were the expectations of the person I was responding to.

Like, I don't know how to discuss games without dissecting their constituent elements, including their story, and I don't know how to do that without potential spoilers.
It's not arbitrary because as someone who saw or played X versus someome who didn't, the onus is on you since you know the whole story, what was crucial or not, what was subverted or revealed, etc.

Therw's nothing arbitrary about it. It's literally comes down to context and information. You objectively have more information and context than the other person so you know what is a spoiler or what isnt

I mean, it's pretty simple, right?

1) Some people want to enjoy their games spoiler-free
2) I should let people enjoy stuff
3) If I fucked up and spoiled something by accident, I will own up to my mistake and try to do better next time

I mean, sure, if someone wanders into a thread that's clearly spoileriffic (like an ending discussion) and expect not to be spoiled, it's their fault. But generally, being considerate of other people is part of being a decent person, and that extends to video game spoilers as well.

LotusHD

Banned

Yea I disagree, but to each their own.

I'm referring to people in threads like these, where you have people bemoaning spoiler culture and such, and then they just say stuff like "Snape killed Dumbledore" or "Aerith dies" in an attempt to spite whoever they feel is overreacting about the spoiler in question. It just feels needlessly petty to just be like, "Okay, this guy doesn't like spoilers? Well here's some more!" lmao

Like I get the point they're trying to make, and I'm never gonna actually say "Woah, spoilers" due to how popular said spoilers (usually) are, but it's hilariously spiteful imo

There's a difference between that and talking about spoilers within earshot of other people, or discussing an episode that just came out.

Im rather being a dick then dont be able to cope with the internet. I mean, do you watch game of thrones? There were
(and im gonna actually spoiler tag this to show how riddiciolus that is) the lannister send their regards
gifs all over the internet, including gaf on the next day. Now you can be under the assumption that 95 % of the internet had the vile intent to being a dick, or you understand how social media/internet works.

This is not at all what I'm referring to, so I honestly don't know why you quoted me.

Rncewind

This is not at all what I'm referring to, so I honestly don't know why you quoted me.

Yeah but this is actually a more fresh and, at least i would argue, at the same level of a spoiler, then the dumbledore thing you are refering to. So whats the point of refering something to like that when essentially current pop culture internet memes are more accepted but at the same time more spoilery?

There's nothing reasonable about expecting the rest of the world to talk about things with black bars because someone somewhere might consider what's being said a spoiler. Any line you choose to draw is arbitrary so either everything is a spoiler or nothing is. Outside of threads with clear rules, I opt for the latter. I "spoiled" SotC to highlight how ridiculous were the expectations of the person I was responding to.

Could you be any more unlikable? Maybe you shouldn't discuss games if you are not intelligent enough to do so in a respectful manner. Somehow I am able to discuss games without spoilers and it doesn't take a conscious effort to do so.

xevis

Banned
It's not arbitrary because as someone who saw or played X versus someome who didn't, the onus is on you since you know the whole story, what was crucial or not, what was subverted or revealed, etc.

Therw's nothing arbitrary about it. It's literally comes down to context and information. You objectively have more information and context than the other person so you know what is a spoiler or what isnt

I feel you're trying to delineate what is and isn't a spoiler but as this thread shows, there is no clear line. Are weapons and enemies spoilers? Are boss encounters spoilers? Twists in a story can come at any point, including near the beginning. Are those spoilers too or are they just setting up the premise? Is Edge of Tomorrow spoiled if I tell you the guy respawns like Bill Murray in Groundhog day or is that just part of the setup?

ActWan

There's nothing reasonable about expecting the rest of the world to talk about things with black bars because someone somewhere might consider what's being said a spoiler. Any line you choose to draw is arbitrary so either everything is a spoiler or nothing is. Outside of threads with clear rules, I opt for the latter. I "spoiled" SotC to highlight how ridiculous the were the expectations of the person I was responding to.

You're looking at this too much like a black or white situation. There's a HUGE grey area - spoiling that there is a forest in Dark Souls 3 definitely isn't the same as spoiling the ending of a game, or a major story beat, just use reason. And a small spoiler tag doesn't matter, and only takes like 2 seconds...you don't have to keep your principles that much...just swallow your pride and don't be a dick!
Hell, using spoilers is reasonable here because the black bars exist and I'm pretty sure if I'll finish a highly anticipated game on the day it comes out and go to open a thread about the ending/rant about it in another thread without any spoiler tags or warning in the title I'll be banned.

If you don't get why stuff like that SotC spoiler makes you an asshole...then we better stop this discussion as it will lead to nowhere.

Stay off subreddits about games you like. Don't click topics here that contain info on games you're playing. That's how I go about it, though YouTube may have possibly ruined a major plot point for me with the title of a video on autoplay. I just stay out if I don't want spoilers now.

Haly

I'm referring to people in threads like these, where you have people bemoaning spoiler culture and such, and then they just say stuff like "Snape killed Dumbledore" or "Aerith dies" in an attempt to spite whoever they feel is overreacting about the spoiler in question. It just feels needlessly petty to just be like, "Okay, this guy doesn't like spoilers? Well here's some more!" lmao

Petty would be spoiling the thing they don't want spoiled on purpose just to ruin their "experience" some more. People choose these generic spoiler specifically because the chances of someone being hurt by them are much lower. But even then you have people going "what about the lurkers!" "You ruined Harry Potter for them forever!".

Notice how it's always the same ones. Snape, Aertith, in my case, Vader. It's not a coincidence. But spoilerphobes are so busy feeling persecuted that they can't see this small acquiescence.

UCBooties

I don't care how old any movie or game is, it's still new to some people. Just because you saw it XX amount of time ago doesn't mean you should spoil things just because it's old to you

But again, everyone has a different notion of what constitutes a spoiler. If a work has been out for a while and people want to discuss its themes or plot or character development then I really don't think they should be expected to bend over backwards to spoiler tag everything that someone might consider a spoiler. If you haven't played/read/watched a work and you're worried about having something spoiled for you then it's your responsibility to not go read discussions about the work. Otherwise it's a risk you are taking and it's going to be a greater risk the older the work is. If you demand constant policing of spoilers then your just demanding a lower quality of discussion about a work you haven't even experienced yet.

Example:

If we're really going to dig into the thematic legacy of Final Fantasy, it's impossible to ignore the cultural impact of
Aerith's death.
While
Aerith
was not the first RPG party member
to die
, even within the Final Fantasy series,
her death
became one of the most famous events in gaming.
Aerith's death
connected with so many gamers on an emotional level that even Square struggled to match it in their follow-up effort. The revelation in FFVIII
that all the characters knew one another in the past
feels like a desperate attempt to create a twist that would be talked about in the same way as
Aerith's death.
The decision to make FFVIII a love story also seems like a reaction by the developers to the intense attachment that many players formed for
Aerith
. Even later works seem to labor in the shadow of
Aerith's death.
Final Fantasy X
waits until the end to "kill" Tidus
, knowing that the emotional weight of
him being sent to the farplane
would only resonate if players had the whole game to become attached. Perhaps the writers were concerned that if
Tidus's true nature as an Aeon
were revealed earlier that they would simply be accused or retreading
Aerith's death

I try to avoid all spoilers, I don't consider gameplay mechanics spoilers and I'm not OVERLY sensitive but I don't like people talking about plot twists so openly. I had every death and execution spoilt in Danganronpa 2 one month before it came out in English due to friends, it definitely effected my enjoyment and I was bummed out until reaching chapter 5.

qh4GLi5.jpg

Plum

I feel you're trying to delineate what is and isn't a spoiler but as this thread shows, there is no clear line. Are weapons and enemies spoilers? Are boss encounters spoilers? Twists in a story can come at any point, including near the beginning. Are those spoilers too or are they just setting up the premise? Is Edge of Tomorrow spoiled if I tell you the guy respawns like Bill Murray in Groundhog day or is that just part of the setup?

I've said before that it's arbitrary and you should really know based on the context if you aren't intentionally being obtuse but what I do know is that ONE OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT EMOTIONAL MOMENTS IN SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS IS A SPOILER

You clearly don't give a singular fuck about what is an isn't a spoiler when you can't even stop yourself from posting a spoiler so obvious and so clear that someone who's never even seen a PS2 would know it's a spoiler.

Plum's Guide to Spoilers

Step 1)
Before writing a post ask yourself "Have the contents of this post been explicitly shown off or discussed in official marketing material?"

Step 2)
If yes:
Write the post.
If no:
Click the spoiler tag and then write the post.

Step 3)
Stop using fringe cases to justify you not taking the second out of your day to click the spoiler tag

I've had some people argue that it still counts as spoilers because they avoid the trailers and promo material.
Still, this is basically how I try to think about it as I right posts that might have spoilers. I've spoiled things sometimes and always felt like a jerk about it, so taking a few seconds to think about it and click that spoiler tag is helpful.

LotusHD

Banned
Petty would be spoiling the thing they don't want spoiled on purpose just to ruin their "experience" some more. People choose these "generic" spoiler specifically because the chances of someone being hurt by them are much lower. But even then you have people going "what about the lurkers!" "You ruined Harry Potter for them forever!".

Notice how it's always the same ones. Snape, Aertith. It's not a coincidence. But spoilerphobes are so busy feeling persecuted that they can't see this small acquiescence to their demands.

Well yes, that would obviously even more petty/spiteful than what I mentioned. That said, I just feel like people always gotta overdo it with the snarkiness. I'm never gonna say "what about the lurkers", but I tend to roll my eyes when I see posts like that.

Haly

I just never understand why it's such a hard concept to grasp that you can never get your first viewing /play through back and having a story beat or revelation spoiled naturally changes your expectations going in thus changing your first experience with it compared to how it would have been naturally.

It's Like a child lashing out honestly.
You can never get your second viewing back. Or third. Or last. There are a lot of things you can't get back. What's childish is assuming you can go through life consuming culture in a vacuum. You can't. Just by having played Pokemon Red, your playthrough of Pokemon Black years later is irrevocably changed by your prior experience.

The only difference with regards to "spoilers" is people have built up this illusory castle in their minds dedicated to the untarnished "pure" experience that doesn't exist. Everyone who follows comics knows all the plot threads in the MCU films. But they'd still like to experience those films without "spoilers". Is their experience "pure"? I'd argue it isn't, but I think that they believe there is still a purity in that experience.
I've had some people argue that it still counts as spoilers because they avoid the trailers and promo material.
Still, this is basically how I try to think about it as I right posts that might have spoilers. I've spoiled things sometimes and always felt like a jerk about it, so taking a few seconds to think about it and click that spoiler tag is helpful.

Happens all the time in the TV/movie threads. Someone talks about the latest promo material: "Omg I haven't had a chance to watch that yet how could you". I remember people talking about spoilers for one of the Nintendo Directs? It's hard to keep track.

There is no universally consistent system for not spoiling someone. There is no "common sense" approach to spoilers that isn't drawing arbitrary lines in the sand, that carries zero risk of pissing someone off except one method: Not talking, about anything, ever. That's the only way you can be sure of never ruining someone else's experience, and that is unreasonable if nothing else is.

Kudo

It's absolutely the case. It's as simple as that. Like if your friend is watching Game of Thrones, and you just tell them all the major plot points, they're not going to be annoyed because of an "obsession with capturing experiences." They're going to be annoyed because they're invested in the show, and were looking forward to watching it as a first time viewer who doesnt know what happens next.

This so much. People really go far to justify their spoilers.
Let people just discover the twists them self, they're major points of the story and knowing them beforehand diminishes the twist.

Top Bottom