• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please don't spoil games for others.

Budi

What do you recommend for Twitter, then? Where you can't tag spoilers? Facebook? Discord voice channels?

I feel like people are missing the scope of I'm taking about. Yes, you can follow the "rules of spoilers" on GAF, in any one thread, with any one person, but how do those rules function once you leave this narrow space? What do those rules mean for us, as a culture of consumers? How does this culture influence the the future of entertainment? What are its affects on every day interaction? On literary discussion?
Start your tweet or facebook message with *Spoiler for X* that could help and yeah I know that not much fits into a tweet. But I'm not also sure what is the importance of tweeting a spoiler, why does someone feel the need to tweet out "Can't believe Mark died!" If I'm having a discussion with someone face to face, I ask if they have seen something or if they care that I spoil it. I don't think being considerate when talking about story details or secrets is some world changing event.
If all you care about is story, you shouldn't be playing video games. Read a book or watch a movie.
What if I care about story and interacting with NPC:s.

As an example, this is a theory. Not a spoiler. But, many without my prompting here, would treat it like a spoiler. This is a problem when it comes to discussion. If you lack the additional knowledge to determine if something is a spoiler or not, then you should not comment on it.
Eh, I think that puts too much on the people who don't know if it's a spoiler or not. The responsibility in that regard falls on the people with the knowledge

And context matters. I don't think anyone would treat that post as a spoiler due to how it's written and presented and the absurdity of the post. But what if it was a post about a character death or something else; of course they would treat it like a spoiler. "How would they know?" is like the whole point

Of course the nature of the thread is important too (don't go into a thread explicitly about discussing the thing you don't want spoiled), but dropping something like that elsewhere falls on the poster, not the reader IMO

What do you recommend for Twitter, then? Where you can't tag spoilers? Facebook? Discord voice channels?

I feel like people are missing the scope of I'm taking about. Yes, you can follow the "rules of spoilers" on GAF, in any one thread, with any one person, but how do those rules function once you leave this narrow space? What do those rules mean for us, as a culture of consumers? How does this culture influence the the future of entertainment? What are its affects on every day interaction? On literary discussion?

I'm primarily concerned with spoiler culture as a broad social phenomena, not the OP getting spoiled because he walked into r/Horizon or whatever similar isolated case.

In twitter I'd just try to not follow people who spoil episodes of series or games that I'm playing, and out of respect I don't spoil any major plot point of anything, specially if I know that some of my followers are watching or playing it, for instance, I'm not gonna talk about spoilers of GoT because every damn person is watching it now. In twitter I can decide who I follow, if somebody like to spoil something because they want to talk about it I'm not going to complain, because as you say, they can't spoiler tag it, and they have their right to talk about it, I will just unfollow them.

But here in gaf or Reddit? (which is mainly what this discussion is about) you can spoiler tag anything witch one click, if you don't spoil tag something like a main character death, an ending or some important plot point it just mean that you don't care about other people and you are a dick. It's just one damn click, there's no excuses.

Of course there's people who will consider anything an spoiler, or who will go to the OT of some game or movie and will complain about being spoiled (why the hell would you go to the OT if you care about spoilers?) but I can't but laugh at people telling me that it's normal that some douche spoil you Guardians of the galaxy 2 in a Wonder Woman thread.

xviper

i barely remember anything about the story of Horizon, it's mediocre, but other than that, the game is amazing

Thud

Was it on the horizon subreddit or somewhere else? I thought subreddits have their own rules when dealing with spoilers.

Either way with good writing the story can still be enjoyed, even if you did get spoiled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Start your tweet or facebook message with *Spoiler for X* that could help and yeah I know that not much fits into a tweet. But I'm not also sure what is the importance of tweeting a spoiler, why does someone feel the need to tweet out "Can't believe Mark died!"

I can tweet out a screenshot of a game I'm playing, everyone who follows me is spoiled on that game now according to his or her own sensitivity to spoilers. Do you think I and others should just never tweet out screenshots, of games, TV, movies. Do you honestly believe this is a rule the majority of twitter users follow? Or wants to follow?

In twitter I'd just try to not follow people who spoil episodes of series or games that I'm playing, and out of respect I don't spoil any major plot point of anything, specially if I know that some of my followers are watching or playing it, for instance, I'm not gonna talk about spoilers of GoT because every damn person is watching it now.
But what if you don't know they're playing it? What if it's something old thing? A lot of people in this thread are talking about how spoiling Harry Potter or Star Wars is a dick move as well. The "statute of limitations" on spoilers is a discussion that, I'm surprised, this thread managed to avoid, but it comes up a lot. Do you believe there is a statute? If you don't, then the only option is to never use twitter. If you do, then what is it, and what it makes it less arbitrary than any other one; what makes one group of spoiler sensitive folk more "reasonable" than the other?

Budi

I can tweet out a screenshot of a game I'm playing, everyone who follows me is spoiled on that game now according to his or her own sensitivity to spoilers. Do you think I and others should just never tweet out screenshots, of games, TV, movies. Do you honestly believe this is a rule the majority of twitter follows? Or wants to follow?
I mean I already said earlier that some expectations aren't reasonable. There's a difference if you tweet a screenshot of a big reveal, or do you tweet just a nice scenery or something.

I empathise with you but this is a great example of unreasonable expectations. Not only are others not allowed to talk about thing without tags (in case of spoilers) but also other stuff in relation to it.

It's unreasonable to expect people to at least spoilermark stuff about thing happening at the end of a movie, not shown in any of the trailers, with the movie still haven't had it's bluray release (which is what I'm waiting for), in a thread about a completely different movie?

I find that very weird, and don't agree, but it does give some insight as to why people use the word 'unreasonable' so often in threads like this.

I'm sorry, was it news to you that video games have shit stories in nearly all cases?

bF6Cp.jpg

If all you care about is story, you shouldn't be playing video games. Read a book or watch a movie.

Alternatively, quit being the pretentious asshole who tells people how they should enjoy their entertainment. Yes, there are people who enjoy the narrative aspect to a greater degree — so what? It doesn't mean they don't care about gameplay at all.

ironmang

I remember when people were upset someone spoiled that Diablo was a boss in Diablo 3 around launch.

Either way with good writing the story can still be enjoyed, even if you did get spoiled.

Yep, I remember when Persona 4 got spoiled for me but it really didn't matter. That was such a small part of the experience for me I didn't care much at all. If anything I probably would have spoiled myself after getting tired of
trying to guess the right answers in mid December to continue playing the game.

Budi

I'm sorry, was it news to you that video games have shit stories in nearly all cases?
What are those stories you say are better in movies? Considering your avatar and username, I wouldn't think you watch movies to get good stories. Or read "books".

Rncewind

It's unreasonable to expect people to at least spoilermark stuff about thing happening at the end of a movie, not shown in any of the trailers, with the movie still haven't had it's bluray release (which is what I'm waiting for), in a thread about a completely different movie?

I find that very weird, and don't agree, but it does give some insight as to why people use the word 'unreasonable' so often in threads like this.

thats why this thread is going on for pages tho.

For examples many here argued mentioning a boss (not even the endboss, mind you), not by ill intent any means, is a spoiler. I stated that spoiling something like the ending with ill intent is something i think should be bannable but appreantly this is not far enough.

If im am discussing in a games OT, or discussing, lets say about gameplay in a topic about a game that is several years old i dont feel like oblieged to put everything spoiler tags

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stop using the word "reasonable", A crucial point of this entire debate that what's reasonable to one person might not be reasonable to another, and there isn't a universal "reasonable", so asking people to be "reasonable" is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS.

All it signals is "my standards are the best, and you're in the wrong if you don't meet my standards".

xevis

Banned
I think not being spoiled about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in a Wonder Woman thread isn't an outlandish expectation. I'd lean on a spoiler tag in that case. Not being spoiled about Wonder Woman in a Wonder Woman thread is an outlandish expectation.

There is no difference between spoiling X in a thread about X and discussing X in its proper cultural context through comparisons with Y. Either we spoiler-tag everything (which doesn't seem reasonable) or everything is fair game. I lean toward the latter.

Gaf is pretty good about that but yeah while enjoying the game you may want to avoid places like Reddit. I'd keep playing though since there's a lot more to the game than finding out what happens at the end. I was probably more interested In exploring the world and finding some intimidating things to fight before I became overpowered towards the end

Kaleinc

Banned
Oh common, spoiler defense force. It's like that famous Twin Peaks spoiler - knowing how it ends, 80% of the fun is lost.

Rizific

I don't agree with what that reddit user did, but LMFAO about having it ruin the rest of the game for you. I mean, it's not like there's gameplay to be PLAYED or experienced underneath all the Hollywood blockbuster story plot. Story in video games is just filler in between gameplay sections. Cut out the filler and give me more of the stuff that actually matters.

Plum

There is no difference between spoiling X in a thread about X and discussing X in its proper cultural context through comparisons with Y. Either we spoiler-tag everything (which doesn't seem reasonable) or everything is fair game.

So your totally fine with spoilers then? You're also fine with spoiling SotC in a thread that isn't even tangentially related; you clearly don't give a singular damn what the thread is about as long as you don't have to click the spoiler tag button.

Story in video games is just filler in between gameplay sections.

If the only games you play are made by activision maybe.

Meanwhile there's a lot of people like me out there who play games mostly because of their story.

There is no difference between spoiling X in a thread about X and discussing X in its proper cultural context through comparisons with Y. Either we spoiler-tag everything (which doesn't seem reasonable) or everything is fair game. I lean toward the latter.

Or, I dunno, maybe you could use your human brain and think about what is a major spoiler, it just take like 5 seconds of thought and one click. You see, like anyone who has a little respect for the others do. But of course, anyone who reads you can see that you don't give a shit about the others.

Oh common, spoiler defense force. It's like that famous Twin Peaks spoiler - knowing how it ends, 80% of the fun is lost.

You don't care about knowing who killed Laura Palmer? That's good for you, but don't fuck other people who care about it. Knowing the murderer in a murder plot is half of the fun.

Budi

Stop using the word "reasonable", A crucial point of this entire debate that what's reasonable to one person might not be reasonable to another, and there isn't a universal "reasonable", so asking people to be "reasonable" is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS.

All it signals is "my standards are the best, and you're in the wrong if you don't meet my standards".
I thought you were arguing that people complaining about spoilers are wrong and your standards (everything is ok) for story related discussion are the best, sorry if I misunderstood.

I thought you were arguing that people complaining about spoilers are wrong and your standards for story related discussion are the best, sorry if I misunderstood.
*slaps random people on the ass in public*

"There isn't a UNIVERSAL standard for personal space! You can't expect everyone to bend to your whims!"

Actually, those saying that are saying the exact opposite. They're arguing against posts like this
Don't worry, story is not the best part of the game
Or you could realize that a story is more than random story beats and enjoy the journey it takes to get there. While also enjoying the great game play.
Fact: spoilers improve stories.
https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

If you're quitting because spoilers maybe the game just isn't that good?
and asking people to not assume that their standards and their perspective is the best and right one for everyone

Peroroncino

Last year there was a user that lost their shit because someone mentioned that there is a forest area in Dark Souls 3.

On a different board I remember a guy that lost his shit after somebody mentioned that they have a problem dodging some fire attack during a boss fight, said guy immediately deduced there's a dragon in DkS3 and proceeded to post shit that somebody spoiled him, oh man I'm still chuckling when I think about that.

Show me some books or a movie where I can directly interact with the story and I'll be all over it.

I'm in the camp that you don't spoil anything no matter how old without a fair warning.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to throw out a warning.

There's context to this of course.. like being on a forum dedicated to a specific movie or game.. don't even go there unless you've had your time with it, those are places specifically for in depth discussion.

I'm in the camp that you don't spoil anything no matter how old without a fair warning.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to throw out a warning.

There's context to this of course.. like being on a forum dedicated to a specific movie or game.. don't even go there unless you've had your time with it, those are places specifically for in depth discussion.

Me too but people will still blame you. It's a courtesy thing like chewing with your mouth closed or wearing deodorant when you go out.

I was about 13 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn, then some jerk on reddit ruined the story for me. Now, I have zero motivation to finish the game.

Pretty disappointed about it, too. I wanted to experience the highs and lows. I was fully immersed. Ever since I read that post, I have no interest in finishing.

Please, guys. Don't ruin games for others just getting into them :(

Bright side, now I can find something else to begin.

Doesn't sound like you were enjoying it that much.

While I agree people need to be more careful with spoilers, I think we are becoming a bit too spoiler sensitive i.e. an actual post where a person was afraid to use an amiibo in fear of it spoiling Splatoon 2's single player.

Whereas you have a reason to be upset, but seem to be having an overdramatic reaction.

David___

Banned
If a game/movie/book or any form of media has been out for a month then I am sorry but I will not hide spoilers because the onus is on you to avoid it and you can not expect people to tiptoe around you nor should they.

Gonna side with this thought. It's one thing to openly talk about spoilers in the first weeks of a release. If its been months or even years then that's you're problem at that point

this sO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!! (The thread title and the OP post...feel bad for you OP)

I confronted someone in a previous thread about spoiling games for others, myself included and the person got defensive and tried to justify themselves...and I replied back a pretty huge reply explaining why I feel they're wrong which got ignored...both by them and the rest of the thread :/

Plum

Last year there was a user that lost their shit because someone mentioned that there is a forest area in Dark Souls 3.

This is hilarious. So, according to you this post

Nice spoilers bro. Not hard to just use a spoilertag.

Is an example of someone "losing his shit." It's also, apparently

haha spoiler culture is so obnoxious sometimes

"obnoxious," despite the fact that you could have just ignored the post in its entirety without sparking an argument.

Puruzi

Banned
This is hilarious. So, according to you this post

Is an example of someone "losing his shit." It's also, apparently

"obnoxious," despite the fact that you could have just ignored the post in its entirety without sparking an argument.
That's absolutely obnoxious. There is no universe where a game having a fucking forest is a spoiler

Plum

That's absolutely obnoxious. There is no universe where a game having a fucking forest is a spoiler

If you believe that then fine. What is obnoxious is continuing to derail the thread because you believe that someone's grievance with a certain post is inherently wrong.

Not all of us can be so happy about freely ruining experiences for others.

Get the fuck over yourself. Some games have good stories and people want to experience them to the fullest.

You're right, OP. This pro-spoiler culture is bullshit.

It's also really, really, reeeaaslllyyyy fucking obnoxious to be so smug over not using spoiler tags, a process that takes 3 seconds, tops. All you do is click a couple things, and you don't run the risk of ruining someone else's experience! This isn't rocket science lol.

Edit: To the "b-but one spoiler can't ruin the whole experience!" chaps- it can harm my investment in a game or its characters. It can ruin a moment that the game builds up to for hours. Also, if no one tags their spoilers we go quickly from "one manageable spoiler" to "people tossing endgame info and events left and right".

It's also bullshit that old stuff is OK to spoil- not everyone has played every old game, so you're still being a jerk by going "b-but it's been a year!/ several years!".

Luminaire

You know he's not wrong.

The idea that an entire game can be ruined for you just because you know some story spoiler is pretty damn ridiculous.

Couldn't an entire book or movie be spoiled for you just because you know some story spoiler? Why are people drawing lines like this?

Top Bottom