• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve should pull a George Lucas and sell Half-Life to someone who gives a shit

Alebrije

Yep , Valve should sell Half Life to other developer, thinking about Konami for the ultimate Pachinko experience.

beclause

Neo Member
George Lucas ruined Star Wars. Valve has only made great Half Life games.

Not sure I would want to play a Half Life game not made by Valve. I mean what's even the point. People don't love Half Life for its story or characters (unlike Star Wars).

HL2 barely had any connection with HL1. Most of the characters were new and there was a whole bunch of backstory that was kinda forced in to make it seem like HL2 was in the same universe.

I would rather the franchise die than some other studio attempt to make an HL game that is less than great.

StarVigil

Just give it to telltale games. They'll make episode 3, 4, heck! They'll make a second season of your beloved franchise!
/totally serious /s

Vash63

They've already kinda done this. They tried getting Warren Spector's studio to work on it, then 2 years into that Disney bought them and canceled the project. They tried Arkane but that went nowhere. Guess they aren't willing to try a third party developer for a third time after two major failures.

deo

Banned
bethesda would be the best bet. I dont know any other studio thats worthy/capable of pulling it off while still keeping that Valve seal of quality

They should give the IP to Gearbox so Randy Pitchford can put the final nail in the Half-Life coffin.
Monkey's Paw: Gearbox buys it.
We need a studio with experience, a studio that has already developed and released a Half Life game. What we need... is Gearbox Software.

Don't even joke about this!

Randy Bitchfork and Gaben should play Poker for it. Winner gets Half-life ip.

Holy shit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
2017 and some people are still in anger/bargaining. It's better than denial, but we really would expect people to be in depression or ideally acceptance by this point.

AJ_Wings

All these mentions of Machine Games, Arkane, 4A & Respawn. It's like... not gonna happen.

I'd rather see those talented devs work on their own projects rather than on a franchise its own original creators stopped giving a flying fuck about a long time ago.

Nibel

Man fuck Half-Life at this point
wtzgU.gif

They won't sell the IP (or Portal, L4D, etc. either). There's no need on Valve's part to get any return on it right now, and should the day ever come where Steam isn't a cash cow for them, they'll still have the Half-Life brand at their disposal.

I would like to see them license out their IP, though, if they have no plans to do anything with them internally. I'd rather see someone else's take on these games than no take at all.

traveler

Not Wario
There's a lot of things I don't get about this debate that I see throughout the thread.

1. "Expectations will be tremendous for Valve after all this time"

That's not how it works, or how it should work at least. It's one thing for a project to be on track for many years and get tons of effort put into it- it's another for an obviously dead project to get brought to life at some point. For a recent example, the hype/expectation cycle for The Last Guardian built from the point SotC finished to its reveal to probably a year or two after that before it began to plateau as the project floundered. By the time the game actually came out, I'd say my expectations were lower, if anything, than if it had come out on time.

2. "The game needs to be revolutionary"

No, it doesn't. The best HL game is Episode 2- a title that, largely, brought nothing new to the franchise, much less the genre. These games succeed for their strength in execution, not the novelty of their concepts.

3. "The franchise has been left in the past"

The industry is not putting out games with the quality and nature of Episode 2 with such frequency that an Episode 3 or HL3 would not be welcome. I'd also add that Episode 2's campaign remained unmatched in single player FPSes till potentially Titanfall 2 last year, and even then that's a toss up. Beyond my feelings on the quality of the franchise, there aren't even other series that do what HL does- a linear story driven fps blended with puzzle solving and the occasional vehicular segment. It would actually be fresh in the current environment simply because no one else even goes for that specific mix.

As for the OP's question itself, I do agree with others sadly that- given the strength of HL relies on its execution- Valve really is- or was- what made it special. I just don't see another team nailing it. (Although, on the TF2 note, if Respawn- with their Source experience and amazing TF2 campaign- theoretically had the IP and the old HL writers/Valve agreed to hand them their vision/script, I'd definitely give it a shot)

I do think it would be a good idea to farm it out to a studio that cares/would do a good job. However, they run a business, and the primary purpose is to make money. They are supposed to stick with what makes the most money.

for what it's worth, we are going to get a new Half Life someday. You heard it here first

Edit: and to the poster above, Respawn would be a great choice

Maybe I'm jaded, but isn't that what motivates everyone?

Yeah but I'd imagine most random studios would have a lot more to gain from working on HF3 than Valve does. Valve making HF3 would probably be the lesser thing to do with their resources in terms of getting money with the position they're in.

jelly

Then it would be good, bad and milked to death.

Just play other games and give other devs your money.

The only thing I sort of expect from Valve is L4D3 but wouldn't say that's a guarantee.

CloudWolf

And yet they have the potential to make an amazing game.

Have you even played Half-Life? If you did you would know that Naughty Dog's style of storytelling is pretty much the complete opposite of Half-Life's.

Naughty Dog making a Half-Life sequel would be as nonsensical as Paradox Interactive making Uncharted 5.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I want a Half-Life game made by Valve. Maybe they could collaborate with Sony and Microsoft to help with the game but it has to be made by Valve.

This thread makes me feel old.

My assumption is that the people saying nobody cares, must have been born around when Half-Life (1) was originaly published. Otherwise their argument just doesn't make sense.

Because if you WERE there.. you would care(*). Just think of a game that blew your mind and.. wellthereitis.gif

(*) Not counting the 5% of any given group of people which does not care anyway and did not care about half-life originally

On the matter of OP.. HL:VR - Believe.

I do, but I don't doubt that Naughty Dog are a sensationally good developer that could make an excellent Half Life game. I think what you're forgetting, as are everyone else who think I'm just being thick as pig shit, is that if Naughty Dog were working on a Half Life game, they wouldn't just go and make Uncharted: Half Life - They'd make a proper half like game to the best of their abilities. I'm pretty sure a developer of their calibre and and skill knows damn well they can't just apply their current formula to Half Life. It would mean learning new skills, which they are very, very good at.

you're grossly overestimating NDogs abilities. They barely care about making games, they're all about movie like stories, they even said gameplay is of secondaty importance to them. They admire walking sims and used one with some old lady in a cemetary as inspiration for their game's design. Theres nothing subtle about their games, nothing out of the ordinary.

Just have a look at this video to see a glimpse of some of the genius of old-valve and how stuff was working behind the scenes without us knowing it, conciously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMggqenxuZc

They were manipulating us in so many ways during the game to evoke certain reactions, emotions from us through they're design and gameplay. Naughty Dog makes games on autopilot with hours of cutscenes. They dont stand a chance

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Half Life 3 will be the Vive's first killer gaming app once the cost ceases to be prohibitive.

Maybe.

Until then, Gordon died defending an elevator in Episode 1 because I couldn't get past it for the life of me ok cool bye.

shandy706

I seriously think Respawn would be the company to give it to.

They put out some amaxing stuff and are very creative. See Titanfall 2.

On the matter of OP.. HL:VR - Believe.

We know it's a thing. At least internally. References to that are getting added to Dota and Destinations. Iirc includes a lot of antlions. Some speculated it might be the Ep2 antlion gauntlet in the mines in VR. Now wether it actually releases? Who knows.

I don't know anymore...

Half-Life sorta turned into a Tech Demo for the Source engines.

I'm surprised they have't done a full-on Counter Strike reboot.

I'm ok playing better games from better developers, like the Metro series from 4A Games for example. It's time to let Half Life die.

Top Bottom