• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve reveals specs for prototype Steam Machines.

Silky

Banned
What would you consider an entry level graphics card for these things? The GTX660 they're shipping it with?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Kinda want one for the living room. Hard to justify though, since I already have a gaming PC, dual monitors, and an HDMI running to my 55' D8000.

avaya

Dominant On Arrival?

At the price those specs command they won't be a threat to consoles at all and offer no real reason to move from custom PC to them.

The Steam machine idea is very niche and Valve will see legitimate success with the OS side of things...on PC.

Faustek

hmm, seems about right.

Still below my current set up but seeing as Valve promised variety I assume we will see some premium devices pop up...or you know just build one yourself.

Lets hope Nvidia doesn't assume they can pillage our wallets even more than the "normal" Titan cards did.. Then again if they actually managed to press and add more to the already existing kernel and modify it more for just gaming I assume it would go a lot further than it can in Windows...actually it does already so no biggie.

aeolist

Banned
Isn't the whole point of the steam machines to be at least relatively competitive with consoles? None of these sound like they'll be in the $500 range. Not even in the $1000 range. If they're going for optimization and low resource UI then this would at least have to be cheaper than the PC counterpart.

a i3/gtx660 system would be well under $1000

LCGeek

formerly sane
The mid and high range specs are pretty damn straight. Shame amd drivers suck otherwise compute performance would've really helped the box for next gen machine games.

A titan based machine..... damn lucky for the users that get that.

If the price is right be it mid range or low valve will have something good for consumers looking to skip the bs of playing around with specs and wondering about performance.

Lets not forget you are supposed to be able to upgrade these machines yourself, just like the PC.

So really the base machine does not matter, as long as the motherboard is compatible with what you are trying to upgrade to.

None of these sound like they'll be in the $500 range. Not even in the $1000 range.

what is this?

An I3 + GTX 660 is suddenly 500$ now? Man, I missed my last check with the GTX 660 was only 200$ and the I3's were in the 100$ range.

And that is retail, now wholesale or factory costs for these items.

Azzurri

So what is the difference between buying a pre made and just building one yourself and putting on Steam OS like we already do with Windows? Are there some proprietary parts or something?

Unless it's actually cheaper than building it yourself I don't see the appeal.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Should have a cheap quad core, even in the minimum Box. Dual cores are seeing their death this console generation.

Sendou

At the price those specs command they won't be a threat to consoles at all and offer no real reason to move from custom PC to them.

Looks like someone didn't read the full story. These are for the user that desires the high-end hardware. Not low-end like consoles. There will be Steamboxes aimed there too.

what is this?

An I3 + GTX 660 is suddenly 500$ now? Man, I missed my last check with the GTX 660 was only 200$ and the I3's were in the 100$ range.

Throw in a motherboard for around $100, a 450W Gold PSU would be another $80+, then you have the RAM... this stuff adds up.

Oxn

I wonder if Valve is going to sell Steam Machines for a significant loss in exchange for getting people into their ecosystem.

Highly doubt it

Whats to stop someone from buying this subsidized steambox and installing windows on it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The dimensions are in inches, right? How are they compare to other small form factor cases? I'm on the phone so I can't really do it myself. :eek:
Verrrrrrry nicely.
Getting to 3" thick is super nice. It means with a SFF PSU and a 90 degree card riser you have plenty of room for a full sized card. 450W Gold is the perfect wattage for the unit, not really surprised there.

Scaling to Titan did surprise me a little bit.

i3 and 660 being entry also is the perfect baseline imo. Good stuff. I'd rather see a cheaper i5 though.

The 8GB/1TB is a hybrid HDD that has an SSD cache. Used properly it can offer many many benefits of an SSD for commonly used programs. Also not surprised that it's in there.
Guys, I built the i7-4770 version
Don't use retail pricing and make guesses like that. Case won't cost that much, PSU will be half that, mobo will be half that, you used a 660Ti.

The i3 / 660 system could be $500 or $600.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Key facts:

-The prototype is an example of a high-end Steam Machine, not all of them.
-There will be multiple Machines from different manufacturers at different price points and configurations to suit different users' needs.
-The Machines will be customizable.
-The Machines are not meant to replace high-end PCs.
-It helps to read the ENTIRE announcement.

Chojin

Knowing my luck I'll get put intoa pool of the lowest end machines something all integrated on the mobo circa 2003 ;P

Hey free is free though, can't complain if that happens.

Throw in a motherboard for around $100, a 450W Gold PSU would be another $80+, then you have the RAM... this stuff adds up.

So according to this logic the PS4 should be about 700$.

You got 8GB of GDDR5
the 7850/7870 GPU ( 200$ )
8 core AMD Jaguar ( around 200$ )

Then you still got the 500GB HDD, the casing, the motherboard, the fans, the bluray drive, etc.!

For those wondering, one could build their own machine with those low-end specs for about $570 + the cost of the custom case and power supply.

- J - D -

These machines will run games better than comparable machines with Windows, right? I haven't been following the Steam Machines topic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So what is the difference between buying a pre made and just building one yourself and putting on Steam OS like we already do with Windows?

Nothing really.

But I guess having a company build a high end machine in a smaller form factor will be appealing for some people. Doing it on your own...if things overheat or whatever, you're on your own.

Now if you don't care about form factor then these machines probably won't be for you vs DIY. Not sure if the final public Steam Machines will have this kind of spec in that form factor though.

BlazinAm

The recommended power supply wattage for a GTX 780 is 600W, how are they fitting that in a unit with 450W PSU?

The card's draw should be 250W as well.

The cheap machine should be the i3 with the GTX 660 right?

RedAssedApe

Banned
how loud are pc setups of this power?

stopped pc gaming a long time ago but noisy PSU, CPU, and GPU fans were always an issue with me (this was back in 2005)

Top Bottom