• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Dahbomb

There's a video of Combofiend doing like 70 percent on Arthur solo with Dante.
You should look at that video again, Combofiend does a very fast reset in the middle of the combo with the Shotgun.

Highest damage combo I have seen is with Thanos, around 60-70%. Thanos seems on the higher end of damage based on his normals but yeah, damage is not going to be an issue in this game.

Skab

Has anyone caught any footage of Dr Stranges new move? In the move list as Tears of Agamotto, curious what it does.

Having played it, I'm going in for the $200 bundle (the statues looked great at E3).

They were at E3? Is there footage/actual photos of them? I'd love to see em! If they're nice enough I'll keep my preorder with GCU, otherwise I'm thinking of cancelling that and bumping down to deluxe.

Just wanted to say... I'll be getting this game on Xbox One and PS4. But I think I'm going to get the deluxe for the Xbox One and make that my primary console to play it on. (Just seeing Xbox One X and the whole minecraft cross play situation has made me lean that way)

Anywho, for those who wants to play me on here, I'd love for you guys to add me. "Newnie" is my ID for both systems.

Sayad

When they are moving around and doing action stuff it's pretty cool. Watching Captain America boosting Megaman on his shield or Ultron Sigma schooling on the heroes was dope.

It sucks when they are just talking and doing exposition.
It's really sad seeing that effort goes into story mode while most gameplay animations are recycled from the previous game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's really sad seeing that effort goes into story mode while most gameplay animations are recycled from the previous game.
Don't fix what ain't broke. Why do they need to reanimate hammer or million dollars, again? Just cause? Some in this thread would argue that changing for changing's sake is part of why the models are getting so much flack.

Or do people want completely different movesets? Because a few of legacy characters have gotten drastic changes (Iron Man, Cap), in addition to nearly everyone getting new tools.

Almost every projectile and effect has new, more detailed animations, too; where it counts, not in the normals and skeletal animations.

Keits

Developer
For what its worth, I don't at all agree that characters have too much health. The setups and resets you are going to get hit by are ridiculous and you are only 2 situations away from losing a character and trying to grind a comeback with a solo character which feels incredibly hard.

Sayad

Don't fix what ain't broke. Why do they need to reanimate hammer or million dollars, again? Just cause? Some in this thread would argue that changing for changing's sake is part of why the models are getting so much flack.
You don't have to redo the whole animation, just what clearly looks awful, stuff like Chun's walk definitely needed to be redone.

Max definitely knows this. Pretty sure he was just stating it for the time being. I could only imagine playing it right now and the matches are dragging on due to non-optimized combos.

Honestly... Im thinking people are going to die quick when people start to learn their characters and etc.

tribal24

Banned
I've been thinking about trying:

LP LK HK
HP Tag Stone

This would make the magic series the same as MvC3's and lets your fingers rest comfortably on the four attack buttons. Not sure how confusing it might be in practice though.

in all that would be similar to mvc 3 layout as HP would be the launcher. I think it would be confusing for me to behonest but ill try it to get use to it on the demo. I think i rather go

LP HP Stone
LK HK Tag

to me the tag would be similar to MVC3 tag assist 2

Sayad

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LDRHW2BA3t67z9OKidMH4ZZLYbXXa2A

Playlist of 16 matches between Justin Wong and F.Champ at CEO 2017 if anyone want to watch.

WOW! This is Huge! Watching this, the game has cross up protection. If you cross up someone for the first few frames they can block your cross up without changing the block direction(Xrd has this too and I think BB), this is huge for incoming mix-up in Marvel games!

Happens here:
https://youtu.be/mhjU3SsESgw?t=1m26s

You can see FChamp's Ultron's blocking JWang's cross up, JWong ask him how did he block that he says he was just "blocking the same side it didn't cross up", but watching it closely, it did cross up and Ultron even did the blocking animation facing the other side.

Skab

I don't understand why it's expected for a fighting game to build everything from scratch for a sequel.

I don't think it is, just look at Tekken.

I think in this case people maybe expected it to mean a bigger roster? I don't know.

Maybe it's just the weird Capcom hate cycle in play.

DR2K

Banned
I don't understand why it's expected for a fighting game to build everything from scratch for a sequel.

Well, when you're reusing old content from previous games and you have less content the issue becomes more glaring. This would be a first for the MVC series. Not only is more than half the roster imported, the entire game is lacking in content on top of it.

If this were a KoF14 or MVC1 or 2 situation no one would fault it or care.

Yeah I don't have any issue with them re-using assets from 3 or having characters with nearly the same movesets.

I do have a problem with them making all of Dante's moves look considerably worse than they did in 3 though.

Watching more footage of the 1v1 demo has me pretty excited for this game. X looks really good in motion and the gameplay looks fast.

I'm pretty excited for it now, and glad it seems different than marvel 2 and marvel 3 in gameplay

Ryce

It would be cool if Capcom held an official DLC character survey. The Smash Ballot was a lot of fun. It'd help shift focus away from the graphics since everyone gets hyped at the prospect of their favorite character showing up.

More Max impressions
Seems he thinks characters may have too much health, or players might not have optimized combos. Whatever it is, sure hope it doesn't turn this game into another SFxT situation. Matches do seem to go very long in all the vids I've seen despite only having two characters. Might also be due to the fact that there's no X factor to speed shit along. :p

Honestly most characters look perfectly fine, some even great. Chun Li's the only one that looks really weird. Even Dante looks okay during gameplay.

These are entirely new models, none of them were imported.
Low damage is a universal stage of early fighting game exploration.

Pompadour

It would be cool if Capcom held an official DLC character survey. The Smash Ballot was a lot of fun. It'd help shift focus away from the graphics since everyone gets hyped at the prospect of their favorite character showing up.

That's actually a great idea.

Clawww

Yeah I don't have any issue with them re-using assets from 3 or having characters with nearly the same movesets.

I do have a problem with them making all of Dante's moves look considerably worse than they did in 3 though.

that's the part that bugs me. recycling isn't an issue in this game at all, but they've taken a step back in consistency and details. Dante's moves are the wrong colors and lots of characters have less consistent effects. stuff is flashier and 'prettier' but also kind of all over the place.

Dahbomb

Feels like I should compile a list of minor/major mechanics in the game. A lot of should tuff has been discovered that may be getting lost in the shuffle.

I saw that cross up moment too but I wasn't sure if it was cross up protection or not.

Well, when you're reusing old content from previous games and you have less content the issue becomes more glaring. This would be a first for the MVC series. Not only is more than half the roster imported, the entire game is lacking in content on top of it.

How? MVC2 and MVC3 didn't have anything in the form of worthwhile single-player content. In fact, MVC2 was the worst of the 2 mentioned when it came to lacking content. Less characters, yes, but in what way are you determining the part about content?

tribal24

Banned
How? MVC2 and MVC3 didn't have anything in the form of worthwhile single-player content. In fact, MVC2 was the worst of the 2 mentioned when it came to lacking content. Less characters, yes, but in what way are you determining the part about content?

yeah mvc 2 only had you unlock colors with points in the console versions and unlock characters. A majority don't want to unlock characters anymore, i think since the roster choices were alot safer people blowing things to major proportions.

Unlocking characters really doesn't work anymore. They're pushing the spectator value along with tournaments, and no tournament organizer wants to unlock everything on several dozen consoles. I remember the backlash when the SFxT DLC was discovered to (mostly) be on the disc, and people not wanting to pay for it. At the most they have one character locked through the story, and offer a paid unlock feature for people who don't want to play the story, or tournament organizers who need the full roster quickly. It would be the easiest way to pad the game out for casual players, but wouldn't work well today. Robust game-changing modes like what's seen in ArcSys games has a better chance of retaining casual players than artificially locking the roster does.

Anth0ny

Makes sense that characters seems to have more health since it's 2v2. I think our brains are all in Marvel 3 mode so we're expecting meaty chunks to come off of lifebars when someone does a bread and butter -> super... but it's adjusted or else 2v2 games would end in 20 seconds after like 4 combos.

And then of course nothing is optimized yet. Justin and Champ were dropping EVERYTHING in that 16 game set.

I legit think this game is gonna be fucked when we start learning how to optimize combos, optimize all the tagging nonsense, optimize stone usage...

kirblar

WOW! This is Huge! Watching this, the game has cross up protection. If you cross up someone for the first few frames they can block your cross up without changing the block direction(Xrd has this too and I think BB), this is huge for incoming mix-up in Marvel games!

Happens here:
https://youtu.be/mhjU3SsESgw?t=1m26s

You can see FChamp's Ultron's blocking JWang's cross up, JWong ask him how did he block that he says he was just "blocking the same side it didn't cross up", but watching it closely, it did cross up and Ultron even did the blocking animation facing the other side.
Ha, they went and nerfed incoming mixups too.

There is some MVC3 habits that need to die if you want to get better at this game. For example, I notice for myself and others I've seen play; that when im about to get hit with a hyper, I'll tag in my partner and block thinking thats going to save them. lol You're basically telling ur enemy have at it with your last partner.

Dahbomb

Cross up protection would fundamentally alter the game from Marvel 3.

Imagine current Marvel 3 without cross up yolo Foot Dives, cross up Helm Breakers, cross up Lightning from Zero or box dash j.H with Nova. A good chunk of what people complain about in that game completely excised.

Clawww

There is some MVC3 habits that need to die if you want to get better at this game. For example, I notice for myself and others I've seen play; that when im about to get hit with a hyper, I'll tag in my partner and block thinking thats going to save them. lol You're basically telling ur enemy have at it with your last partner.

wait how is that a mvc3 habit?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yeah mvc 2 only had you unlock colors with points in the console versions and unlock characters. A majority don't want to unlock characters anymore, i think since the roster choices were alot safer people blowing things to major proportions.
I do wonder how they'll handle unlockables in the Collection Mode. Maybe use that to prolong the life of the game for single player like Nintendo does with Smash bros.

I don't mind unlockable colours beyond the first two TBH, of course it's semi-inconvenient for tournaments, but the satisfaction associated with unlocking things in fighting games hasn't left me since I was a kid. I am admittedly a filthy casual tho

Wouldn't happen with Marvel and all, probably, but a colour edit mode like SFxTK would be amazing, and I'd be all for unlocking extra colours and shit.

Lower damage is natural when it's day -90 and there's only two character teams.

Each should naturally have at least 20% more life/damage to take than marvel 3 characters.

We also didn't start seeing 100% damage be the norm outside wolverine xfactor until later in that game.

Seyavesh

unlocking characters fucking sucks

god knows how many hours i lost just fucking unlocking the 4 secret chars in vanilla 3 for tournaments i was helping run

i cannot fathom how fucking awful it must've been for the MK dudes to unlock dudes in 9, especially when cyber sub was a wackass char nobody played

DR2K

Banned

The characters are the meat and potatoes of content.

Risero

Banned

Hopefully if Gambit scores super high again they'll think about adding him. Would also give me a chance to yell about Phoenix Wright some more

The problem with a vote for mvci is so many fan favorites are missing the vote would be horribly fractured between fan favorite vets and newcomers. Perhaps if they gave you 4 slots with the plan being the most popular marvel vet, capcom vet, marvel newcomer, and capcom newcomer all made it.

DR2K

Banned

Could you imagine a Smash Poll if they excluded all the characters for Zelda and Pokémon from the base game?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Cross up protection would fundamentally alter the game from Marvel 3.

Imagine current Marvel 3 without cross up yolo Foot Dives, cross up Helm Breakers, cross up Lightning from Zero or box dash j.H with Nova. A good chunk of what people complain about in that game completely excised.

Mentioned this in the video. Blocking the crazy mixups seemed easier than I was expecting while playing

Top Bottom