• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Keits

Developer
In that video Ryce posted, you can see Ultron do his bubble super right after. It looks like an unblockable that leaves them in a crumpled state.

Ultron QCB+2P is a command grab super. It indeed deals smallish damage and leaves them in a crumple for a combo after.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Level 3's sadly are no longer unscaled
Damnit, this is dumb. There wasn't anything wrong with Level 3s being unscaled and it incentivized them beyond just overkilling someone. Well, I guess the Storm to Level 3 thing makes a little bit more sense now, but I'd hate for them just to be something you use the rest of your Storm meter on but never for any other reason.

Someone turned the subtitle on for the demo, and It's really nice to see the confirmation on those subtitles with my own eyes. I know Danny already confirmed it for me too which is bonus as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcwFES0IDY
Nice!

Pompadour

Super curious to see how this performs sales-wise, as its currently the bane of the gaming internet right now.

Before the backlash I figured it could hit it's meager 2 million shipped projections on the Marvel brand alone. Now I'm not so sure.

They really should have delayed this game because 1) visuals are extremely important to both casual players and the hardcore and 2) the SFV backlash needed to settle down some more before they really started pushing this game. If people's perception of Capcom is that they do half-assed work and try to bleed consumers dry the ugliness of MvCI and the roster leak weren't going to do anything to dissuade that notion.

Who knows, though. I do believe a strong enough marketing campaign, which SFV didn't have, could cancel out the bad word of mouth but I don't think Capcom is willing to spend that kind of money.

Ryce

Who knows, though. I do believe a strong enough marketing campaign, which SFV didn't have, could cancel out the bad word of mouth but I don't think Capcom is willing to spend that kind of money.
All of Capcom's marketing budget went towards the Ultron Sigma statue at E3.

JayEH

Before the backlash I figured it could hit it's meager 2 million shipped projections on the Marvel brand alone. Now I'm not so sure.

They really should have delayed this game because 1) visuals are extremely important to both casual players and the hardcore and 2) the SFV backlash needed to settle down some more before they really started pushing this game. If people's perception of Capcom is that they do half-assed work and try to bleed consumers dry the ugliness of MvCI and the roster leak weren't going to do anything to dissuade that notion.

Remember last year after sfv when they said they would delay games if they had to for quality? They never learn.

It would be difficult to design Zero as an average or below fighting game character and be true to the source character just due to how ridiculous his sword normals are alone.

He's been ridiculous in both iterations of MVC3 and TVC and I don't expect him to be any less than high tier in this game.

Was also ridiculous in SVC.

All I can say is I hope Capcom has a trick up their sleeve....if things are really as bad as they look. I fear for this game's future. You can tell after the SFV debacle, people were waiting for the floor to collapse. Capcom gave those people all the ammunition they needed after that E3 conference. This game is looked at as a terrible joke by a lot of people. I wonder if Capcom can actually recover from this.

Anth0ny

unscaled level 3 just seems like such a waste of resources if you were to ever use it. I can't imagine a scenario where that would be preferred over level 1 -> dhc to another level 1 or level 1 -> tag and go for the reset while there's a million things on screen

JeTmAn81

unscaled level 3 just seems like such a waste of resources if you were to ever use it. I can't imagine a scenario where that would be preferred over level 1 -> dhc to another level 1 or level 1 -> tag and go for the reset while there's a million things on screen

If you're down to your last character and you need a kill, then a level 3 makes sense. I hope you can still get a pickup into a level 1 or even a full combo after it like you could with some level 3's in UMVC3. Also, if level 3's have invincibility they'll be useful as reversals.

Mugy

I was reading Age of Ultron the other day again, and i just cannot stand how so much super heroes are in there and not even half of them are in this game. Im just two-pages you can look at:

Taskmaster
Ultron
Vision
Luke Cage
Spiderman
Captain America
She-hulk
Sue Storm
Red Hulk
Black Phanter
MoonKnight
Iron Man
Jessica Drew
Emma Frost
Wolverine
Beast
Thor
Valkyrie
Black Widow
Doctor Strange
Hawkeye
Nick Fury
Hank Pym
Iron Fist
That kree-guy who was a genius (don't remember his name)
Ms. Marvel
MODOK
Ka-zar
Polaris
Cyclops

I mean, just a though

JeTmAn81

I was reading Age of Ultron the other day again, and i just cannot stand how so much super heroes are in there and not even half of them are in this game. Im just two-pages you can look at:

Taskmaster
Ultron
Vision
Luke Cage
Spiderman
Captain America
She-hulk
Sue Storm
Red Hulk
Black Phanter
MoonKnight
Iron Man
Jessica Drew
Emma Frost
Wolverine
Beast
Thor
Valkyrie
Black Widow
Doctor Strange
Hawkeye
Nick Fury
Hank Pym
Iron Fist
That kree-guy who was a genius (don't remember his name)
Ms. Marvel
MODOK
Ka-zar
Polaris
Cyclops

I mean, just a though

Red Hulk will be in there as a Hulk color, probably! :D

Mugy

My point is that, people think ones who don't like the game its because the roster of something. And that its factually true. My problem isn't about having less characters, its about having almost the sames of the previous game.

I think you can make an entire roster of characters who wheren't in the previous game and they where really requested. I personally think that Ghost Rider and Firebrand where really good additions to the series. Because they where unique and unexpected at least.

TreIII

All I can say is I hope Capcom has a trick up their sleeve....if things are really as bad as they look. I fear for this game's future. You can tell after the SFV debacle, people were waiting for the floor to collapse. Capcom gave those people all the ammunition they needed after that E3 conference. This game is looked at as a terrible joke by a lot of people. I wonder if Capcom can actually recover from this.

I mean...SFV and MvCI are still going to get played and have presences at major events, regardless, but that much is obvious. I just wouldn't count on Capcom greenlighting anymore new fighting games after this for a good, long while, though (if ever again).

sephi22

I enjoy busting Capcom's ball as much as the next guy but this games become a more viral joke than I ever thought.

On one hand you have huge twitch streamers (15,000+ subs) referencing it (Moonmoon_OW): https://clips.twitch.tv/PunchyOilyRamenSoBayed?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

Then you've got PewDiePies new avatar:
s8JUOCK.jpg

And finally people are running with the "on disc dlc" meme as fact based on that leak zip file image even though they might be and most likely are unfinished story mode models.

Any advantage this game had being a post-MCU Marvel game has been thoroughly nullified by the word of mouth.

Sheroking

I mean...SFV and MvCI are still going to get played and have presences at major events, regardless, but that much is obvious. I just wouldn't count on Capcom greenlighting anymore new fighting games after this for a good, long while, though (if ever again).

You under-estimate the success of CPT.

Street Fighter VI will happen, it's just a matter of whether or not they can shake these aspersions from casual fans before then.

Jawmuncher

Street Fighter VI will happen, it's just a matter of whether or not they can shake these aspersions from casual fans before then.

Even if the CPT and EVO stuff is fairly lucrative money wise. No comapny want to sit on the low sales to do so. They need to find a better balance in appealing to both crowds than they have been.

Since a capcom fighter is looked at as a big deal. So it can sit in the same light as something like KoF that can kinda get away with weaker presentation.

It'll be another dead series for Capcom.

Vs games and Street Fighter will join:

Mega Man
Breath of Fire (ugh...)
DMC (maybe?)
Dino Crisis
Power Stone
Rival Schools
Darkstalkers
Cyberbots
Final Fight
Ghost and Goblins
Lost Planet
Okami
Onimusha
Viewtiful Joe
and others less successful.

Not all of those were hits, but there are great games in that list. There are so many great characters and noteworthy IP in there, yet they shoot themselves in the foot over and over with terrible business (and sometimes development) decisions.

Risero

Banned
capcom thought that dante model was ok

they thought that chun li model was ok

they looked at it and said "this is fine"

They drew up that 28 character roster and said to themselves "These are the characters all the fans want"

You know there's a disconnect between developers and fans when Nemesis and Arthur make it in over Wesker, Phoenix Wright, and Haggar

Mega Man
Breath of Fire (ugh...)
DMC (maybe?)
Dino Crisis
Power Stone
Rival Schools
Darkstalkers
Cyberbots
Final Fight
Ghost and Goblins
Lost Planet
Okami
Onimusha
Viewtiful Joe

Not all of those were hits, but there are great games in that list. There are so many great characters and noteworthy IP in there, yet they shoot themselves in the foot over and over with terrible business (and sometimes development) decisions.

It's a miracle Capcom hasn't fucked up Ace Attorney yet. Hopefully that franchise doesn't get effected by Capcom's bad decision making any time soon

sephi22

This is just awful, wtf is this guy going off of?
r/kappa comments say he was asked what kind of commentators he likes. He replied that he likes guys who are less esports and more off-the-cuff/straight-from-the-heart.

This led to someone in chat asking what he thinks of IFC yipes, leading to the clip above. I can watch the full archive and corroborate but feeling lazy.

EDIT: Maybe I misread your question. I don't exactly know if Yipes said this. He might be confusing his tweets for someone else's

The fuck is the context on this? Because all I see is a shitty twitch streamer trying to make fun of someone that is actually entertaining with this own style and failing.
Moonmoon's no Seagull but he's pretty good as far as Overwatch streamers go.

Neoxon

Mega Man
Breath of Fire (ugh...)
DMC (maybe?)
Dino Crisis
Power Stone
Rival Schools
Darkstalkers
Cyberbots
Final Fight
Ghost and Goblins
Lost Planet
Okami
Onimusha
Viewtiful Joe

So you think Street Fighter is now a dead franchise?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
r/kappa comments say he was asked what kind of commentators he likes. He replied that he likes guys who are less esports and more off-the-cuff/straight-from-the-heart.

This led to someone in chat asking what he thinks of IFC yipes, leading to the clip above. I can watch the full archive and corroborate but feeling lazy.

EDIT: Maybe I misread your question. I don't exactly know if Yipes said this. He might be confusing his tweets for someone else's
Yeah, I'm thinking he's mocking something Yipes said and that doesn't sound like Yipes at all.

Lulubop

I enjoy busting Capcom's ball as much as the next guy but this games become a more viral joke than I ever thought.

On one hand you have huge twitch streamers (15,000+ subs) referencing it (Moonmoon_OW): https://clips.twitch.tv/PunchyOilyRamenSoBayed?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

Then you've got PewDiePies new avatar:

And finally people are running with the "on disc dlc" meme as fact based on that leak zip file image even though they might be and most likely are unfinished story mode models.

Any advantage this game had being a post-MCU Marvel game has been thoroughly nullified by the word of mouth.

Dunno why he's mocking the way Yipes talks, greatly so might I add and making shit up.

sephi22

To play devil's advocate I can see someone assuming all Yipes does is make gutteral noises if all they've seen is that Marvel 2 curleh mustache video.

But if anyone's seen Yipes in the last 3-4 years they'd know he can be articulate if he chooses to be. I didn't even know Moonmoon had any knowledge of fighting games, much less any interest, but clearly he does if he knows about the MvCI drama. So I'm as clueless as any.

Maybe he goes to r/kappa and read and bought into the Yipes, Champ, Wong shilling narrative but I really don't expect one of the biggest overwatch streamers to do that. Who knows he may be a closet fighting game nerd.

Street Fighter VI will happen
, it's just a matter of whether or not they can shake these aspersions from casual fans before then.

Honestly? Who really knows if it ever will. Like depending on how things go this next year or two for both fighting games & fighting games they produce, I dunno if i'd want to make another fighting game ever if I were Capcom.

They drew up that 28 character roster and said to themselves "These are the characters all the fans want"

You know there's a disconnect between developers and fans when Nemesis and Arthur make it in over Wesker, Phoenix Wright, and Haggar

Umm.....we don't know that yet?

sephi22

I don't know if Street Fighter 6 will happen or not, but if it does I don't see it happening for a long time.

I know one thing though: some people (like Giant bomb) say only the even numbered Street Fighters are good and if the next one happens it'll be a return to form, but seeing the current state of Capcom and their fighting games SF6 will have like Melty Blood level production values, even if the gameplay is like Jesus' tits.

So you think Street Fighter is now a dead franchise?

When I look at the sales, I don't see how we will get another one unless Super SFV does a lot to get people in. Going by the way people perceive Capcom, I'm willing to bet consumers will think it's a paid update without ever bothering to learn more.

Neoxon

I don't know if Street Fighter 6 will happen or not, but if it does I don't see it happening for a long time.

I know one thing though: some people (like Giant bomb) say only the even numbered Street Fighters are good and if the next one happens it'll be a return to form, but seeing the current state of Capcom and their fighting games SF6 will have like Melty Blood level production values, even if the gameplay is like Jesus' tits.
I take it that Giant Bomb didn't like SFIII.

Sheroking

Even if the CPT and EVO stuff is fairly lucrative money wise. No comapny want to sit on the low sales to do so. They need to find a better balance in appealing to both crowds than they have been.

Since a capcom fighter is looked at as a big deal. So it can sit in the same light as something like KoF that can kinda get away with weaker presentation.

Well obviously it can't, since it's drawing heavy criticism from casual observers who frankly don't understand the market or what it takes to be a good fighting game beyond the superficial.

My solution is to go full esports and eschew the casuals entirely, provide cheaper games or launch their games as a free service with a mind to sell extra content - like Killer Instinct on PC.

The other way is to recognize where they've been criticized and develop Street Fighter VI, which I think will exist based on the success of CPT if nothing else, as a "comeback" game designed to address the concerns of casuals.

Isn't sf3 loved by the hardcore fgc but hated by the masses for it's "bad roster" ie all new characters no fan favorites.

It's very divisive WITHIN the FGC.

It's not hard to find people who think it's the best Street Fighter, and people who think it's the worst.

kirblar

Isn't sf3 loved by the hardcore fgc but hated by the masses for it's "bad roster" ie all new characters no fan favorites.
Also at the time it never showed up on mainstream consoles. It's why SF2 can get Ultra edition while a pass w/ half SF3 chars is rumored to have Sagat/Sakura anchoring them.

(I would also be one of those who doesn't like how it plays.)

sephi22

I take it that Giant Bomb didn't like SFIII.
I think Jeff was being tongue-in-cheek, but I've heard more than a handful of people say that SF3 is overrated due to nostalgia.

When the game came out it was despised, almost killed the series, and third strike matches then and even now often start with both opponents standing full screen whiffing normals to gain bars. Also the game lacked any useful zoning besides Remy.

The only thing that could alter the perception are mind-blowing additions to the roster. The gameplay being good isn't enough for the majority of people Capcom is looking to sell the game to. The story doesn't look that great, so what exactly is going to rope people in?

I don't even care about the roster anymore because I like what I see from the gameplay. That's me, though. I wonder what Capcom is thinking when they see the reception to this game.

kirblar

I think Jeff was being tongue-in-cheek, but I've heard more than a handful of people say that SF3 is overrated due to nostalgia.

When the game came out it was despised, almost killed the series, and third strike matches then and even often start with both opponents standing full screen whiffing normals to gain bars. Also the game lacked any useful zoning besides Remy.
I think zoning complaints are something that modern developers vastly misunderstand how to address.

Sheroking

Honestly? Who really knows if it ever will

People who are both paying attention and know what they're looking at?

Their partners are getting bigger and bigger. They're doing good numbers on Cable TV. CPT has grown year over year in such a way that there's no plausible reason for them to shut things down because SFV has only sold 1.6 million copies. They will replace it eventually.

Particularly since the community is more engaged than most and they'll easily and successfully sell DLC for years.

Top Bottom