• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Evo X

Staff discount? Time to trade in the GT4?

No discount on GT cars or 911 Turbo unfortunately. I think the most expensive sports car I can get employee pricing on is a 911 Targa 4 GTS.

Hell, I might not even get an allocation since they said they prioritize customers over employees for limited cars.

But we'll see. I'm still loving the GT4. I would want the GT3 in stick so we are at least a year away from the release of that in the U.S.

Cake Boss

Banned
Guys I have narrowed down my next car purchase, 500 Abarth.

Yay or Nay?

I test drove it and the FiestaST, Fist is more practical and better handling I found but the Abarth is just stupid fun, great looks and that exhaust sound gives me boners.

Friend of mine has a white 2013 M3 6 speed with HRE wheels, full Dinan header/exhaust system, etc that he's down to sell me for a screaming deal in a couple months.

There's only one downside:
it's a vert. 🤔

But I live in San Diego so I'd most likely never put the hardtop back up because the weather here is near paradise.

Y/N? Basically would be a big S2000 lol.

This would be my daily and my holdover til I can get a Viper.

I wouldn't do it because vert.
They just feel so much more like a wet noodle because of no fixed top.

Yay or Nay?

I test drove it and the FiestaST, Fist is more practical and better handling I found but the Abarth is just stupid fun, great looks and that exhaust sound gives me boners.

If it were me, I'd choose the 500 over the fiesta. However when I buy cars I usually don't care about practicality at all. If its mostly just going to be a fun car, buy the one that's the most fun.

Yay or Nay?

If fun is the primary objective, buy the more fun car.

Yay or Nay?

Is it going to be your only car? Because it is going to spend a lot of time in the shop/at the dealer.

matmanx1

I have the wife's Spark if that ever happens. Did some research and that the Abarth is pretty decent on the reliability front for a Fiat vehicle. (Fix it Again Tony)

I say the Abarth would be a great choice as long as you get a good deal on it and intend to keep it for multiple years. They depreciate like mad and if you decided you didn't like it in a year or so you would take an absolute bath on it if you went to trade it or sell it.

Is it a new model year car? I believe the new ones are improved in terms of reliability over the first couple of model years.

I have the wife's Spark if that ever happens. Did some research and that the Abarth is pretty decent on the reliability front for a Fiat vehicle. (Fix it Again Tony)

I only know a few people with 500's, only one is an abarth, and they haven't really had any problems. Though that's a small sample size I know.

I say the Abarth would be a great choice as long as you get a good deal on it and intend to keep it for multiple years. They depreciate like mad and if you decided you didn't like it in a year or so you would take an absolute bath on it if you went to trade it or sell it.

Is it a new model year car? I believe the new ones are improved in terms of reliability over the first couple of model years.

Also this. They do depreciate. But if you're like me and like to own cars for a long time, I wouldn't worry about that.

Abarths are dirt cheap used. Try to find one with low miles and enjoy the smiles. I tested one and could not get over how ridiculous and fun that car is. Like a loud Jack Russel.

I was quoted $1k for a rear end accident that honestly didn't leave any damage except a minor (taking about 0.1 mm deep by 0.2 mm wide) indent that spanned ~0.5 inches long. And no paint damage. The only way for them to fix it was to "remold the bumper and repaint"

The $4k damage I assume might be worth looking into. Maybe an entire new bumper with paint. I know my father hit his CLS on the mailbox one icy night. Since the car has aluminum panels, they couldn't remove the dent - so they had to order a new door panel. The total cost for replacing the panel and painting was $8k, which somehow the insurance paid for. I would guess $4k would include a bumper and some lights or something

When my ex-wife ran into my old 2000 Porsche 911 with her motorcycle it dented the decklid and cracked the bumper (she was fine). It cost $6000 to repair and included a respray of half the car to match the paint (which came out perfectly).

Just to say that minor body damage can cost plenty if the owner cares about the car and insists on proper work.

SummitAve

Banned
I'm hoping 124 abarths drop in price as fast as the 500. The only thing stopping me from jumping on a 500 is the possibility of it turning into a giant annoyance, at least long term compared to my Miata. Working on them is probably a pain the ass as well with how cramped the engine bay is.

Cake Boss

Banned
Barely any used ones here where I live, and the only used ones that are available have 40K-50k km and about $19K - $22K Canadian. If I were to get a used one need one that's still under warranty.

Barely any used ones here where I live, and the only used ones that are available have 40K-50k km and about $19K - $22K Canadian. If I were to get a used one need one that's still under warranty.

too bad, near me it is easy to find a used Abarth for about $10k with around 20K miles. Or $13K for one with 8k miles. They tempt me daily. Edit, I'm near Seattle

Futaba

Well home again for a few hours.

Evo X - you can have more fun in a sub $10k car than both of those depending on the kind of driving you want to do!

KRaZyAmmo - You're more or less on the money with your guess, I'll post more details somewhere down the line when I'm able :p

Cake Boss - I'd take a 500 abarth over an ST every time.

Dr.Guru of Peru - I wouldn't buy an undamaged boxster let alone one that's been in two accidents, but that's just me.

Now.. time to find a set of tires in 355/30/R19....

[edit] Found!
NT05R 345/30/19! 10 off on width but hey, close enough

cwBQJPz.jpg

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll be tallying the votes.

I wouldn't.. what kind of absolute values are we talking about here anyway? $7k relative to how much?

I'm Canadian, so I'd be paying 55k CAD (vs around 65k CAD for a similar car without any damage reported). Thats about 47k US vs 54k.

Evo X said:
I work for Porsche.

PM me the exact car and I'll look into it.

You should be good to go though. It must have all been cosmetic since Porsche won't CPO anything with structural damage.

Depending on in service date, you should still have bumper to bumper warranty left for a year or two.

Thanks for the offer, I've PMed you but again its a Canadian car.

Fuck. No.

Unless you plan on driving the car into the ground do NOT buy that shit. You will have a terrible time trying to sell it down the line, and will very likely end up being severely upside down on payments. 2 accidents? Rear? Major nope.

My neighbor stupidly bought my 2012 Jag XF after my lease ended on it, and I told him not to unless he planned on using it past 100K miles. Well, he went to trade it in after 6 months because he had a hard time getting in and out of it (two knee surgeries) and took a $7500 hit. Bought it for 25000. Traded it in for 17.5K. Every month cost him over $1K. Absolutely foolish.

Find one in good shape. DO NOT SETTLE. Cars depreciate enough as is, you don't want to accelerate the process. Be logical.

Ha. Just when I was thinking I might actually go for it.

To be honest, one side of me is telling me to run away from the car because of all of the red flags. But seeing this one on the lot made me think twice - I was ready to drop 100k (Canadian) on a new 718 S, but now a part of me thinks I can use that money to both get a new-ish Boxster and a maybe a new DD like a Cadillac ATS.

Hmm it's looking like I might be on the lookout for a used FR-S once my tax returns come in...

They're still kinda pricey where I live. They seem to keep their value decently well if its been taken care of. At least from last time I looked on craigslist. Because of that I'd buy one new.

Now.. time to find a set of tires in 355/30/R19....

[edit] Found!
NT05R 345/30/19! 10 off on width but hey, close enough

I don't think I've ever seen tires that wide that weren't racing slicks. Are you mounting those on like a 14 inch wide wheel or someting?

Futaba

Pretty much any common drift vehicle and a decent road to drift it on?
Hell for $10k here you have a huge range of good vehicles, S14, S15, R32, R30, Evo 4, Evo 5, Evo 6, Evo 7, RX7, JZX90, JZX110, Nismo Fairlady Z 380RS, RX8, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen tires that wide that weren't racing slicks. Are you mounting those on like a 14 inch wide wheel or someting?
Pirelli make some standard tread ones up to 385 i believe, though I prefer the NT05R's for the use i'm using, and as the sizing states, they're for 19 inch wheels!
As for why, the wife is wide-bodying her evo with a set of clinched mmc's, as per:

Hell for $10k here you have a huge range of good vehicles, S14, S15, R32, R30, Evo 4, Evo 5, Evo 6, Evo 7, RX7, JZX90, JZX110, Nismo Fairlady Z 380RS, RX8, etc.

Pirelli make some standard tread ones up to 385 i believe, though I prefer the NT05R's for the use i'm using, and as the sizing states, they're for 19 inch wheels!
As for why, the wife is wide-bodying her evo with a set of clinched mmc's, as per:

HENTAI

SliChillax

Is your wife single

jk

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
18194220_10211138727297358_5218494142381836177_n.jpg

Just came across this. So are cars that much more reliable in Europe than the US? Look at Nissan? Is American build quality the issue for such a massive discrepancy between US Nissan quality and overseas?

Jaguar is consistent since all their Euro and US cars are built in Coventry. Crazy enough, Jaguar is well ahead of MB, BMW, and Audi.

Look at VW and Skoda...American VWs are built in Mexico, as are many Audis now too. In the US study, VW reliability is pretty low. Meanwhile in domestic Europe, very high. I still feel like the built country of origin is still such a massive mark of importance to me. Tennessee built Nissans are largely shit. But Japanese ones (Zs + RWD Infinitis) are still worthwhile. Mexican VWs? Crap. European? Sturdy.

kharma45

Just came across this. So are cars that much more reliable in Europe than the US? Look at Nissan? Is American build quality the issue for such a massive discrepancy between US Nissan quality and overseas?

Jaguar is consistent since all their Euro and US cars are built in Coventry. Crazy enough, Jaguar is well ahead of MB, BMW, and Audi.

Look at VW and Skoda...American VWs are built in Mexico, as are many Audis now too. In the US study, VW reliability is pretty low. Meanwhile in domestic Europe, very high. I still feel like the built country of origin is still such a massive mark of importance to me. Tennessee built Nissans are largely shit. But Japanese ones (Zs + RWD Infinitis) are still worthwhile. Mexican VWs? Crap. European? Sturdy.

Seems so. There was a couple of non-EU built VWs sold here but they were widely panned and only survived one generation. My impression has always been we've higher quality standards here, which is why a lot of American cars don't sell here overly well if at all. Even the better ones, like the new Mustang, have that aura of cheapness about them.

We also get very different cars from you too. Nissan for example, we've cars you don't have. We've had two generations of Qashqai which has been very popular. Quick Google suggests it's coming your way soon.

For VW, the Passat you have is a totally different car to what we have. You don't have the new Tiguan either and then we've cars like the Polo which sells very well and the Up! which is a very popular city car.

AlphaSnake

Seems so. There was a couple of non-EU built VWs sold here but they were widely panned and only survived one generation. My impression has always been we've higher quality standards here, which is why a lot of American cars don't sell here overly well if at all. Even the better ones, like the new Mustang, have that aura of cheapness about them.

We also get very different cars from you too. Nissan for example, we've cars you don't have. We've had two generations of Qashqai which has been very popular. Quick Google suggests it's coming your way soon.

For VW, the Passat you have is a totally different car to what we have. You don't have the new Tiguan either and then we've cars like the Polo which sells very well and the Up! which is a very popular city car.

Qashqai isn't exactly coming here. I think they rebodied it as a Rogue Sport.

But yeah, this is why I'm very conscious about where a car is built before I buy it. :| It's an old school methodology, but it seems like there's still truth to it.

They're still kinda pricey where I live. They seem to keep their value decently well if its been taken care of. At least from last time I looked on craigslist. Because of that I'd buy one new.

I was thinking about that too, but at least at advertised prices it looks like I could get a good used model for about $8,000 less than what the cheapest new models are advertised for. Most are about $6,000 less. I don't know if there are any significant incentives on the 86 or BRZ new, but $8,000 off for used is looking good.

matmanx1

Yeah I find that chart a bit shocking also. Ford ahead of the big three Japanese brands? Fiat just behind the Japanese brands and above the industry average? VW ahead of Ford AND the Japanese big three?

My immediate response is why can't we get that kind of VW representation over here because I would buy the heck out of a reliable VW.

Futaba

an aspect they dont clarify which would impact results a fair bit is diversity in vehicle lineup, some of the brands scoring low have a wide range of vehicles available while some of them scoring high have a low number of models available, if you take a sample of 100 cars by brand only and not by specific model then the brands with a wider range of models is undoubtably going to effect the number of reported problems, take for example an axel bearing that gets used across multiple vehicle models but retains the same part number, if its prone to a fault then you could theoretically end up with multiple entries for the same fault.

with the sample size so low and the lack of clarification on sample size mode collection i dont think its reliable to extrapolate any genuinely meaningful information from the chart, it would have been muc better for a sample size of 1000 with 100 of each being a different current model

AlphaSnake

an aspect they dont clarify which would impact results a fair bit is diversity in vehicle lineup, some of the brands scoring low have a wide range of vehicles available while some of them scoring high have a low number of models available, if you take a sample of 100 cars by brand only and not by specific model then the brands with a wider range of models is undoubtably going to effect the number of reported problems, take for example an axel bearing that gets used across multiple vehicle models but retains the same part number, if its prone to a fault then you could theoretically end up with multiple entries for the same fault.

with the sample size so low and the lack of clarification on sample size mode collection i dont think its reliable to extrapolate any genuinely meaningful information from the chart, it would have been muc better for a sample size of 1000 with 100 of each being a different current model

I believe the sample size is 20 or 30,000 cars per manufacturer, which is why some manufacturers don't end up on the list. The data is collected through dealerships and networks.

Edit: Nope. Nm

The 2017 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 35,186 original owners of 2014 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded from October through December 2016.

It's 35K owners collectively. I actually forgot about that, since I remember reading that owners don't know how to pair bluetooth or work sat navs are the cause of lower than normal scores for some, of course they're going to complain about all sorts of shit and JDP is going to dock points.

It's 35K owners collectively. I actually forgot about that, since I remember reading that owners don't know how to pair bluetooth or work sat navs are the cause of lower than normal scores for some, of course they're going to complain about all sorts of shit and JDP is going to dock points.

I wonder if the basic trim Skodas and Suzukis don't have a lot of the newer features that are difficult to understand or complicated enough to go wrong more often.

Lizardus

Straight outta Wolfsburg VW here, zero reliability problems so far (seems to be the consensus on VW forums too), really makes me think...

Evo X

Hell for $10k here you have a huge range of good vehicles, S14, S15, R32, R30, Evo 4, Evo 5, Evo 6, Evo 7, RX7, JZX90, JZX110, Nismo Fairlady Z 380RS, RX8,

Oh yeah, because we have tons of great drifting roads and absolutely no police or traffic in Chicago.

Great idea.

v1lla21

I'm just glad that my vdub has been great for the most part not counting the bad manifold, which was warranty work, and the recent leak. About 94k and still going strong. Gonna be dropping in a new clutch sometime this year and new rotors as well.

Always nice to see a mazdaspeed Miata on the streets.

Futaba

Oh yeah, because we have tons of great drifting roads and absolutely no police or traffic in Chicago.

Great idea.
i said it would be more fun, i didn't say it would be legal.
eg: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-lower-wacker-drag-racing-met-20150717-story.html

but if you want legal then theres gateway motorsports down in st louis, lucas oil raceway in indiana (closer than gateway) and usa internatonal raceway in wisconsin, all allow drifting, with the latter having a setup intended specifically for it.

matmanx1

Do we get anymore "made in Wolfsburg" VW's in the States? Or are they all North American made these days? And what about Audi's? They share a lot of components with VW but are still mostly made in Germany, right?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I noticed my drivers side seat' s fabric is getting worn down fairly badly from getting in and out of the car. I'm mindful of it, and do my best to be cautious, but I'm 6'2 and climbing in and out of the recaros isn't easy. Is there any preventative/maintenance measures I can take?

SummitAve

Banned
Do we get anymore "made in Wolfsburg" VW's in the States? Or are they all North American made these days? And what about Audi's? They share a lot of components with VW but are still mostly made in Germany, right?

I think most VWs being sold in the states are coming from their Mexico plant. Not sure if those made in Wolfsburg trims were even completely made in Wolfsburg.

AlphaSnake

American Audi Q5's are made in Mexico now too. Though the plan is to build other Audis there, as well.

Other Audis are built in Indonesia such as the A4 and A6 (not kidding). Also, in Neckarsulm they build:

Audi A4 Sedan, Audi A5/S5 Cabriolet, Audi A6 Sedan and Avant, Audi A6 allroad quattro, Audi S6 Sedan and Avant, RS 6 Avant and RS 6 Avant Performance, Audi A7 Sportback, Audi S7 Sportback, Audi RS 7 Sportback, Audi RS 7 Sportback performance, Audi A8, Audi A8 L, Audi A8 L W12, Audi S8, Audi S8 plus, Audi R8 Coupe, Audi R8 Spyder

And the primary Ingolstadt builds:
Audi A3, Audi A3 Sportback, Audi A3 Sportback e tron, Audi A3 Sportback g tron, Audi S3, Audi S3 Sportback, Audi RS 3, Audi A4, Audi A4 Avant, Audi A4 Sedan, Audi S4, Audi S4 Avant, Audi A4 allroad quattro, Audi RS 4 Avant, Audi A5 Sportback, Audi A5 Coupe, Audi S5 Sportback, Audi S5 Coupe, Audi RS 5 Coupe, Audi Q2, Audi Q5, Audi SQ5

So there is overlap in production, as the Indonesian plant is a relief for high volume models. In Europe, you can get a car from one plant or another - so it's a gamble.

Top Bottom